Start by marking “Elvis Is King!” as Want to Read:
Elvis Is King!

Elvis Is King!

Elvis Presley--the King of Rock 'n' Roll, still beloved by millions of Americans--comes to vibrant, gyrating life in this extraordinary picture-book biography from an award-winning author and the winner of a New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award.

Here's the perfect book for anyone who wants to introduce rock 'n' roll and its king to the child in their lives. In single-
Published January 8th 2019 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about Elvis Is King!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvis Is King!

Start your review of Elvis Is King!
Calista
The artwork is of 3 dimensional sets that look like claymation. This is basically a biography of Elvis in picture book form. You know one thing that surprises me about Elvis. He was so popular and I would have thought many of those girls would have named their children Elvis and there would be an army of Elvis’s out there, but that never really happened. Interesting. I guess the name is too much of a burden to use.

I didn’t know much about his early days. This was a good introduction to his
Licha
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-cover, children
This was the cutest book. It had me at the cover.

There was however a sad undertone to the book, a certain darkness to it. Maybe that was the intention of the author since he does state in his ending notes that Elvis was a lonely man throughout his life. This is felt throughout the book.

The artwork is just beautiful. My librarian took one look at this and said he was going to buy it.
Laura Harrison
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable picture book biography on Elvis Presley. Elvis is King is an informative, easy to read, astonishingly detailed and creative book. So much to look at and enjoy on every page. Kids (and their parents), will love it!
Edward Sullivan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Apparently it's just me who finds the illustrations ghastly and the text rudimentary. So it goes.
Chance Lee
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The artwork is phenomenal -- intricately made sets photographed for each scene. The birthplace house looks exactly like it does in real life! The text is alright, but the book does contain a comprehensive author's note at the end that gives greater historical context for Elvis's rise to fame.
Gary Anderson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jonah Winter’s Elvis is King! tells the story of Elvis Presley’s rise from poverty to music superstar. Along the way, Elvis is presented as an earnest, determined iconoclast with endless talent. Beginning with Elvis’s childhood and ending after his first national record becomes a hit, Elvis is King! captures the highs of his early career without delving into some of the sordid excesses of the later years.

The Red Nose Studios illustrations are incredible. Made of clay and other materials, the
Paula
The early years of Elvis' life portrayed with short snippets and 3D illustrations. Many kids may not know Elvis Presley these days, but their parents will. Always learn something new from picture book biographies!
Margie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In 1983 a group of prominent names in the music industry formed the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. The primary goal of this group after the establishment of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was to find a city in which to construct a building which would serve to honor the inductees and promote this genre of music. It was September 2, 1995 when the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame welcomed visitors for the first time.

Prior to that time in 1986 the first inductees were named. Of those
Kim
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Lordy Mercy! This was fabulous!
Joshua Gross
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. It has very in depth information about Elvis, particularly in his younger days and it has really amazing pictures. They are all crafted scenes that are photographed, kind of like Coraline only in a book. The detail and vibrant colors are amazing, from the cute little hamburgers to the stitching on the sides of his pants. I ordered two for the store but I might order more and see what kind of interest I can generate in it because I think the pictures are really amazing ...more
Joan Marie
This biography, told in snappy text, and southern vernacular is beautifully illustrated with animations of handcrafted wood, wire, fabric and found objects. I'd like to see this as a Caldecott contender for 2020! The back matter holds interesting facts and insights not found in the text.
Kudos to both Winter and Red Nose Studio!
Castle Spooktacular
Red Nose Studio does it again! I love their intricate use of set design and puppetry in their work. A breath of fresh air to have complex pictures tell the story instead of illustrations. Well written too. ROCK AND ROLL FOREVER.
Cheriee Weichel
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful introduction to the life of Elvis. Although I knew much of this history, I appreciated learning about the background behind some songs and how his stage presence came about. I adore the three dimensional artwork. I think it's claymation. It reminds me of characters created by Ronnie Burkett, a Canadian puppeteer.
I was born around the time Elvis was just breaking into the world of stardom. His music was everywhere. Old time country music, Elvis, and early rock and roll was
Laura Harrison
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant. Creative and so much fun. One of my favorite picture books of the year.
Karen
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abbreviewed
Born in indigent circumstances with a father who did hard time and who was absent for much of Elvis' early life, this little boy contained an extraordinary talent for music. His mother would save up her limited funds to buy him a special treat, a cheeseburger. Elvis loved cheeseburgers! Who knew? Elvis was a shy teenager, but when he found himself on stage all of that reticence disappeared and a new legend was launched. Elvis is the one and only king of Rock and Roll. His life is a true rags to ...more
Jaymie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book mainly because of the cool looking cover - it intrigued me and I wanted to see more of the illustrations. I will definitely say it has made me a fan of Red Nose Studios! Can't wait to check out more children's book illustrated by Chris Sickels. I enjoyed the information as well - learned facts about Elvis I never knew - and rekindled my love of 1950s rock and roll!
Barbara
For many of us, especially those from the South, Elvis Presley will always be the King of Rock 'n' Roll. This picture book does its darndest to demonstrate why--a feat not easily accomplished in a picture book with no accompanying musical CD. Using conversational text, a tad of Southern dialect and grammatically incorrect words such as "ain't," author Jonah Winter traces Elvis's rag to riches story as his family moves from Tupelo, Mississippi, to Memphis, Tennessee, often living on the wrong ...more
Tasha
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This picture book biography features a perfect match-up of author and illustrator. It tells the story of Elvis’ life from a young boy singing in church and in talent shows to him becoming a star. It is the story of a boy growing up poor with a father in jail and discovering many of life’s joys like gospel music and hamburgers. When the family moves to Memphis, Elvis needs to work to make money to keep them housed and fed. As a teenager, he turns himself into something new, coloring his hair ...more
Lynn
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that this publishes on the King's birthday and I love the book! Winter captures the desperate poverty of his childhood, the struggle to find his sound and break into the music business and the astonishing early career of Elvis. He also captures the lonely heart and the yearning of the man. The text feels like lyrics and the illustrations are the signature wonders of the Red Nose Studio - endlessly fascinating to pour over and incredibly effective. There is a wonderful author's note and ...more
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art in this book is what really made it shine for me. Using the idea of stop motion to create the art for a book is phenomenal and Red Nose Studio (aka Chris Sickles) is extremely talented. The writing was fine otherwise I would have rated it higher. Overall, it's a great read especially for any Elvis fans.
Katy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
The art is interesting and well-done, though not my particular style. I find a lot of the writing to be problematic. It really skeeves me out that we needed to make insinuations about how attractive Elvis was in a picture book... on multiple occasions.

I don't really care for Elvis, so feel free to chalk up [some of] my dislike to that.
Kirsti
Astonishing scratch-made art from Red Nose Studio. Compelling text by Jonah Winter is appropriate for little kids but does not sugarcoat. I never knew that Elvis's crazy clothes from his early days were from secondhand shops.
Tonya
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I LOVE almost anything Red Nose Studio does...
Vicki
Inconsistent text structures and meandering storytelling.
Monica Edinger
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a whole lotta fun! Tight prose from Winter's that encapsulates the happier aspects of Elvis's life and absolutely wonderful illustrations from Red Nose Studio.
Becky
First sentence:

Elvis is born!

But alas, he is born

in a humble shack

on the wrong side of the railroad tracks,

the side where the poorest of the poor live,

down down down in the Deep South--Tupelo, Mississippi.

Premise/plot: This picture book biography of Elvis Presley is written in verse. Each poem highlights a moment in his life. I should mention that this book only covers his childhood and his early young adult years. It ends with the success of Heartbreak Hotel. This picture book biography
Ben Truong
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elvis Is King! is a children's biographical picture book written by Jonah Winter and illustrated by Red Nose Studio, which centers on the life of Elvis Presley, from poor, blond boy to the King of Rock 'n' Roll, Elvis Presley lived the classic rags-to-riches storybook life.

Elvis Aaron Presley, also known mononymously as Elvis, was an American singer and actor. Regarded as one of the most significant cultural icons of the 20th century, he is often referred to as the "King of Rock and Roll" or
Read  Ribbet
Love picture book biographies and Elvis the King is Jonah Winter's effort to capture the tough childhood and the rise of Elvis to become one of the world's biggest stars. Using a 3-D animation style by Red Nose Studios for illustrations, it's a good telling of this part of Elvis' life showing he power of dreams, effort, support and talent. The book ends as the King's career takes off so most areas of controversy are avoided or mentioned in more complete end notes. While his early life story is ...more
Amanda
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars

Other children's authors/books about Elvis that I have read have touched on the fact that Elvis borrowed from or appreciated or used or stole (depending on your viewpoint) from African American musicians during a time when segregation was rampant; not this author. In fact, if I hadn't read the author's note at the end, I wouldn't have seen it mentioned at all and if you can't read between the lines, then you wouldn't know if you aren't familiar with Elvis' story. Disappointing to me.
Bridget
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This came across my path and stopped me in my tracks. I'm not an Elvis fan. Not even close. But wow, the writing and the 3-D illustrations are so unique. This book is a work of art that you can read to your favorite nugget or enjoy alone.

I think an audio/text version of this book for smaller children to experience on their own would be AMAZING.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Donkey Egg
  • Why?
  • The Bell Rang
  • Music for Mister Moon
Jonah Winter is the celebrated author of many picture book biographies, including Barack, which was a New York Times bestseller. His books include Here Comes the Garbage Barge, Sonia Sotomayor, Roberto Clemente, and more. A poet and a painter, Mr. Winter divides his time between Santa Fe and a small town in Pennsylvania.