Start by marking “The Curse of Misty Wayfair” as Want to Read:
The Curse of Misty Wayfair

The Curse of Misty Wayfair

Left at an orphanage as a child, Thea Reed vowed to find her mother someday. Now grown, her search takes her to Pleasant Valley, Wisconsin, in 1908. When clues lead her to a mental asylum, Thea uses her experience as a post-mortem photographer to gain access and assist groundskeeper Simeon Coyle in photographing the patients and uncovering the secrets within. However, she ...more
Published January 22nd 2019 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of Misty Wayfair, please sign up.
Kay Defreese When you are reading the book it is creepy and you think there may be ghosts but there is a logical explanation for the strange happenings. Not going …moreWhen you are reading the book it is creepy and you think there may be ghosts but there is a logical explanation for the strange happenings. Not going to reveal any more to spoil it for you.(less)
Cathe Swanson It has a few Christian characters who talk openly about their faith and encourage others accordingly, but for a book sold by a Christian publisher and…moreIt has a few Christian characters who talk openly about their faith and encourage others accordingly, but for a book sold by a Christian publisher and marketed specifically as Christian fiction, it has remarkably little "proselytization." (less)

Start your review of The Curse of Misty Wayfair
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
That. Was. Awesome.

Jaime Jo Wright just scared the living daylights out of me!

The Curse of Misty Wayfair was absolutely fantastic! It was super creepy! The mystery was extremely well-crafted! The heart-pounding suspense! The awesome cast of characters! All perfectly blended into one chilling, time-slip adventure!

This book gave me goosebumps!

Will I read another book by Jaime Jo Wright? Absolutely!

Will I read it with all the lights on in the broad daylight?

Absolutely.

Five Hair-Raising Stars!! Do
Victoria Lynn
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
D.a.n.g. I have no words. . . Rtc

Full Review:

This book. . . Wow.
I just want to insert here that if you are so inclined to listen to music while you read, I would highly recommend pairing this book with a moody cup of black tea or bitter coffee and the album, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close Soundtrack by Alexandre Desplat’. #mood.
I will try to make my thoughts somewhat cohesive, but this book for me was more about how it made me feel than anything else.
There is a grit to it, the way the feel
Jocelyn Green
Two tales twist together into a story that draws the reader in and won’t let go. The Curse of Misty Wayfair is deliciously thrilling, with a resolution steeped in light and hope. Jaime Jo Wright wraps her writing in a genuine love for people--in all their gifts and challenges--and for the truth that sets them free.
V. Palmer
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Guys, no review that I write can bring justice to how masterful and engaging The Curse of Misty Wayfair by Jaime Jo Wright really is! Seriously, read this one!

Perhaps the thing I love the most about Jaime Jo Wright's romantic suspense stories is that they really break the mold of romantic suspense in Christian Fiction. They are truly unique! The romance is subtle, but it is believable, ending in a way that you know that Happily Ever After will happen after that last page. The suspense is filled
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Let me start off by saying, this book had me REELING! Jaime can write a story!! 😍😍

I am one of those people who can spot the bad guy from a mile away. Movies or books, you name it, I instantly feel a little "off" when they make an appearance. It always baffles my mind when an author can pull the wool over my eyes and surprise me at the end!
Jamie Jo Wright is one of the only authors who has that ability.

The last hundred pages or so had my mind racing at rapid speeds trying to figure everything o
Brittany
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found The Curse of Misty Wayfair to be spooky and deliciously disturbing! That may seem like a strange thing to say, yet it describes the way I felt compelled to uncover the mysteries of both storylines with each page turn, while also having to limit my reading to the daylight hours to keep from getting completely creeped out!

Knowing that this story was Christian fiction, I was aware that there must be some explanation behind the ghostly sightings, but the author kept me guessing as to what ex
Anne
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Curse of Misty Wayfair is a shoo-in for my Top Ten in 2019 already! Wright wove just the right amount of creep factor in this ‘ghostly’ tale of lies, loves, and the living to keep me glued to the pages. My heart rate stayed elevated pretty much the whole time. Reluctantly, I admit to a bit of anxiety as I read along because the intrigue is of mountainous proportions but I simply couldn’t put the book down.

It has taken me over a week to process my thoughts about the story and the most revelat
Clara
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
My plain words will not do this book justice. But that is okay, this book is what it is - a work from the heart, and nothing I say will change that. So pick it up :)

Something was out of place, and the people of Pleasant Valley seemed to know it. Keeping to themselves, smiling a little, separated by a street, a history, and worst of all, a legend.

Pleasant Valley is an ironic name to the city in which Thea Reed and Heidi Lane believe lies the answer to their inner turmoil.
One simple word can help
Hannah
Wow, such an enthralling story! Lots of crazy shadows in this one, and freaky, inexplicable happenings. Can a place really be haunted? Do ghosts really walk in the mists of midnight?

Both eras flow together well in this story as two different heroines, past and present, try to find out what secret holds the town in bondage and as they face different questions about their heritage and parents. Both Thea and Heidi discover strange things about the local mental asylum and have terrifying en
Rachael
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m just going to start this review by saying I cannot do this book justice. Secondly, in discussing this book, I want to assure you this may be a spooky story, but it is not a ghost story.

This is a brilliant read...Thea,Emma, and Heidi are my favorite characters. The characters really drive the story...which is a deep one. The author writes a spectacular novel to bring forth several wonderful Biblical truths. It’s one of those novels that I don’t think one read fully gives you everything.

A sp
Missy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favorite Jaime Jo Wright book so far. I have seen picture taken of the dead in the early 1900's and thought them fascinating. Without explanation it is sometimes hard to tell which was the dead. Add pictures of the dead and an insane asylum, and you have a great "ghost" story in the works.

This duel timeline story of Thea Reed, a photographer of the dead in the early 1900's, and Heidi Lane a girl who really doesn't know where she belongs in present day. But their connection of
Kriste
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this for reading challenge category of "Outside of your comfort zone" - creepy.... It was excellent!
Staci
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Definitely a creepy and dark mood in this time slip novel. The mystery of Misty Wayfair was engaging. The characters didn’t draw me in although they had some wonderful qualities.
Natalie Walters
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emotionally gripping, Jaime Jo Wright delivers a captivating split-time mystery that'll leave you unable to breathe and unwilling to put this book down until the very last page.

Ethereal in its ghostly beauty is the mysterious legend of Misty Wayfair, the ghost that beckons for someone to hear her cries, learn her story, and see her suffering. Ms. Wright invites readers into the haunted lives of two women, Thea and Heidi, whose own troubled pasts trap them in a century old curse.

Chilling in its
Margaret
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first discovered Jaime Jo Wright with her debut, The House on Foster Hill and absolutely loved it. So I wait in eager anticipation for her new releases. The Curse of Misty Wayfair is her 3rd book and releases in a couple weeks.

Thea and Heidi are 2 completely different characters and yet so similar, over a hundred years separate them but they are both searching for purpose, who they are and boy do they get more than they bargained for.

I LOVED this book! It was mysterious, suspenseful and kept
Anita
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, arc

A Goodreads friend recommended this book and I read the blurb, decided it looked fascinating and requested it. Part Gothic, spooky, broody and just plain fascinating. Since I generally read romantic-suspense and romance, "The Curse of Misty Wayfair" is a whole different animal to what I'm used to. The two different time periods and characters make for an unusual plot that just
Paula Shreckhise
The Curse of Misty Wayfair by Jaime Jo Wright is phenomenal and profound.
If I could give it more stars I would. This is one of my top reads of 2019.

Pleasant Valley, in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, connects Thea Reed and Heidi Lane across the decades as does the legend of Misty Wayfair. Thea and Heidi have been searching for acceptance and identity and their journeys intersect in the unlikely place of an insane asylum.
The dual-time story is rich with the mysterious. The narrative is elegant, ev
Suzie Waltner
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With her third full-length release, Jaime Jo Wright cements herself in the place of must-read eerie suspense authors. Even more impressive, she does it not one, but two time periods!

In The Curse of Misty Wayfair, Wright explores the treatment of mental health issues in 1908 as Thea Reed works to uncover her history. Did someone living in the asylum in Pleasant Valley, Wisconsin give birth to her? More than 100 years later, Heidi Lane returns to Pleasant Valley at the behest of her mother. Yet, t
Rachael
Jaime Jo Wright's book just keep getting better and better all the time (and they started out as pretty impressive). Right from the first page the story grabbed me, both Thea's and Heidi's. Part of it is the creepy, dark tone that is so prevalent in Wright's stories, something thrillingly different from most anything else I typically read. And the other part is that Wright is just one good writer. I cannot say which heroine I liked more--both are compelling, sympathetic, misunderstood, searching ...more
Lucy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With each stroke of the pen Ms. Wright creates a work of art that draws you into a world of mystery that spans from 1908 to present day. I love the way the dual time line is woven together so intricate that you never miss a beat while reading. I find the subject of mental illness and how it was treated so heartbreaking, but love how well researched it is. This book captures your attention from page one and eerily draws you into the story. The subject matter of mental illness, dementia, and being ...more
Susan
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A legendary curse is the key to the secrets that haunt two women in this eerie timeslip tale. A mysterious photo, cryptic messages, an abandoned insane asylum and a legendary ghost play a role in just a few of the many delicious spine-tingling moments as Heidi's search for answers parallels Thea's quest a century before. Each individual story's threads are masterfully woven together to create a hauntingly beautiful tapestry. Ms. Wright's ability to build the suspense equally between both stories ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Why do people dismiss the dead so easily? Once you're passed, you're no longer important?'

Jaime Jo Wright has brought us another extremely intriguing novel, this one a bit creepy, too. Written in her signature dual time line, it held me completely enthralled. Here's why:

Thea Reed----photographer of the dead, orphan, searching for her story
Simeon Coyle---groundskeeper of a mental asylum, photographs the patients for the records
Heidi Lane---unwanted, anxious, always looking for somewhere to belon
MJSH
"You're like a sailor's siren, Thea. Dangerous. I don't know why, but you call me with a silent song. I'm afraid you will wreck me."

Wow. Just wow. This is the first book by Jaime Jo Wright that I have read and it is absolutely amazing! The writing is lyrical, melodic, and haunting. The plot has delicious twists and turns as Thea works out her heritage in 1908 and Heidi works our her own in current day Wisconsin. The characters are so real and memorable. And the author manages to provide stark, v
Kav
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting and mysterious and nail-biting and riveting...I'm still staggering around, gobsmacked! Absolutely loved the eerie ambiance! The faint of heart might want to reserve their reading for daylight hours but if you love a good shivery thrill, read on into the darkest night.

I read The Curse of Misty Wayfair with a howling wind rattling my windows which created the perfect shivery mood. Cue the creepy music and throw the covers over your head (but grab a flashlight so you can read from the safe
Nancee
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting! This is the third book written by this author, and honestly after reading the first book she wrote I didn't think she could outdo herself. She did! This is a ghost story that kept my heart pounding and my respiration increasing throughout a very suspense filled, fast moving plot. This book has parallel stories that are interwoven into a masterfully written drama. Characters are vividly portrayed, and the settings are so descriptive I could imagine myself standing alongside the members ...more
Caryl
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Ms. Wright has expertly crafted this brilliant story! She seamlessly weaves the past and present of this dual time-line tale. Her attention to detail will have you cautiously looking out your windows and checking your locks.

Ms. Wright has a remarkable ability to convey spiritual truths that will challenge you to go deeper in your own walk. These nuggets of truth will stay with you long after you have finished the book.

Jaime Jo Wright is an author not to miss! I look forward to reading more of h
Joleen
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am grateful to the reviewer who gave something away about the ghosts in this story or I'm not sure I would have picked this book up. It seemed so unlike Ms. Wright's other stories that at first I was hesitant...and really, much of the book kept giving me pause. But in the end it was worth the wait to get the complete story.

Normally I give a brief synopsis in my reviews, but for this book I won’t. It’s too good to give any of it away. Mysteries, who-done-its, spooky themes and surprises enterta
Trixi
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A ghost had risen up from the album's pages, beckoned to her, and begged to have her story told.

This book should come with a warning label: Do Not Read At Night! I mean you are talking an age old curse of Misty Wayfair who is said to haunt the woods that surround an old asylum. Just reading about the legend had my skin crawling...GAH! But as with the other two novels Wright has written, there really is much more to it than meets the eye! Layers upon layers and threads upon threads twist and cu
Rebecca
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"You are the reason the voices are never heard. . . . . .come . . . come quickly."

Two women, separated by time and eternity, yet inexplicably drawn together by a postmortem photograph and a cryptic letter crafted by one whose mind has become crippled beyond recognition. Both are determined to find answers to the question that continually rages in their minds; "who am I"?

Dorothea Reed, orphaned at a young age and now a postmortem photographer, is drawn to the small town of Pleasant Valley, Wisc
MaryannC. Book Freak
Ok, I'm sure if people could throw rotten tomatoes at me for my rating they probably would. I could not get into the feeling of this, the premise of the story was what intrigued me to begin with but I particularly didn't care for Heidi, just could not connect with her character. I didn't expect this to be a horror read because that's something I don't usually get into anyhow, I wanted to really like this because of the favourable reviews, but other than Thea's story which was a central part of t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • Whose Waves These Are (Whose Waves These Are, #1)
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • Between Two Shores
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge: Laurel's Dream
  • The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1)
  • Far Side of the Sea
  • Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery
  • Mind Games (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #1)
  • The Secrets of Paper and Ink
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • Castle on the Rise (Lost Castle, #2)
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • In the Shadow of Croft Towers
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Dead End (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #3)
Daphne du Maurier and Christy Award-Winning author, Jaime Jo Wright resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing suspenseful, mysteries stained with history's secrets. Jaime lives in dreamland, exists in reality, and invites you to join her adventures at jaimewrightbooks.com!