Start by marking “When the Sky Fell on Splendor” as Want to Read:
When the Sky Fell on Splendor

When the Sky Fell on Splendor

Almost everyone in the small town of Splendor, Ohio, was affected when the local steel mill exploded. If you weren’t a casualty of the accident yourself, chances are a loved one was. That’s the case for seventeen-year-old Franny, who, five years after the explosion, still has to stand by and do nothing as her brother lies in a coma.

In the wake of the tragedy, Franny found
Published March 12th 2019 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about When the Sky Fell on Splendor, please sign up.
Xantippa Amaya Not just you, I feel that too! That's actually why I want to reas this book, because I love "Super 8"! :)…moreNot just you, I feel that too! That's actually why I want to reas this book, because I love "Super 8"! :)(less)

Start your review of When the Sky Fell on Splendor
chai ♡
Due to unfortunate circumstances (my boredom and the universe's tendency to endlessly aggravate me), I'm not really crazy about this book.

The one thing that could have really salvaged this novel is if it had its own version of Steve Harrington from Stranger Things who realizes that romantic love is fake and decides to redirect all of his overflowing care and affection by aggressively mothering a bunch of middle-schoolers. Oh, and gays.

For a potentially quick read, I slogged through the pages fo
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emily Henry does it again. 😍 With a perfect balance of real world intensity (with a focus on friendship and grief) and other worldly elements (supernatural entities and powers,) her latest novel is a real treat.
emma
I love Emily Henry.

Typically, I have reservations about making love-based declarations about people I don’t know on the internet. Seems a lil weird. Like, how would Rami Malek feel if he knew I was writing sonnets about how he manages to be devastatingly attractive even with weird fake teeth? How would Bill Hader feel if he knew about how many clips of his interviews I’ve watched in a row on YouTube?

Both of those are, of course, completely made up examples.

In the case of Emily Henry, though, I’m
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I really, really loved the characters and the setting of this one, but the plot just did not do it for me :( I am hecka bummed.
Emily
Jun 05, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Probably my favorite book I've written, probably your least favorite. ...more
megs_bookrack
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
When the Sky Fell on Splendor is a tough story for me to review. A genre-mashup of things I love, but together seemed disjointed.

Still good, just odd.

A few years back, the town of Splendor was the site of a terrible industrial accident; an explosion that killed many people. The plant where the accident occurred employed about half the town, so it seems every family was in some way impacted.

As you can imagine, for a small town, this had horrible ramifications. People had brothers, sisters, fathe
C.G. Drews
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a bit of solidly lovely mind-twistery and I really enjoyed it! It definitely had Stranger Things feel and was entirely focused on a friendship group that totally wins your heart over with their messy attitudes and loving hearts. Also there are maybe ALIENS and TRAUMA.

Full review to come! (And I'm on the Instagram Blog Tour next week!)
fatma
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnfs
description
me trying to figure out what the hell was going on in this book

Okay so. I disliked this book so much that I didn't even finish it—I DNF'd it at like 35% because I just couldn't take it anymore. And the fact that that actually happened baffles me. I can't wrap my head around how badly this book disappointed me. I almost never preorder books, but When the Sky Fell on Splendor was one of the *5 books* I preordered this year. Needless to say, I was expecting to love it, as I'd loved Berry's A Mill
Elizabeth Sagan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Less than 3 stars but not quite 2.5. I don't know why we didn't click. It sounds like my kind of thing, and yet it fell so flat. I don't remember the last time I skimmed so much. I could barely connect with something. And it's a shame, because the book isn't bad - the plot, the characters... based on what I like I should have loved this one too. Maybe it's just my mood, but reading the reviews I see that I'm not the only one. Nonetheless, I think you should give it a try. It might work for you. ...more
Justine
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
This starts out with a Super 8/Stranger Things vibe, but it's really not that kind of story. It isn't creepy SF; it's a story about friendships and families and loss, with an otherworldly element acting as a catalyst for these tangled relationships.

I didn't like this quite as much as I liked A Million Junes, but it did share some of the emotional elements I loved in that book. My main issue was that I did feel like I was supposed to think this was one kind of story when it was actually another.
Kimberly Dawn
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
When the Sky Fell on Splendor features main character Franny, along with her brother Arthur and several other friends.

The teens enjoy filming ghost hunter videos for fun and escape from their disappointing home lives.

The six friends were initially drawn together in their grief after a steel mill explosion five years earlier had stolen the lives of some of their family members.

While filming videos late one evening, Franny and her friends witness what appears to be a real supernatural event, a U
Brenda Waworga
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Stranger Things, i also a huge fan of The Serpent King, i enjoyed A Million Junes.. so i was so sure i would love this book

But... nope... i just couldnt get into the story, the main character is weird and i was confused who is who the whole time, the pace was fast but i found some scenes were boring, in the end i feel like this book just wasnt for me

However i really love the ending, the plot twist make me gave this book 3⭐️ other than 2⭐️ i also like Emily's writing style
Brittany Cavallaro
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing story about friendship and family and what happens after the worst possible thing happens. I loved this book so, so much. It's like the Super 8 / Stranger Things -- but make it more magic -- book of my dreams. ...more
Katie Gallagher
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read this review and others on my blog!

I’m a huge fan of Stranger Things, so was immediately intrigued by Emily Henry’s When the Sky Fell on Splendor, which is obviously referencing the TV show with the cover. The alien component as well was interesting, since I’ve heard multiple people in the YA publishing sphere mention how aliens just kind of aren’t a thing for some reason, even though vampires, werewolves, mermaids, and their ilk have all had a turn in the spotlight. I #amwriting an alie
h o l l i s
Not sure I liked this one but it also made me cry for a minute near the end? Could've been life stuff, or even PMS, that helped to make that happen but also I do just cry super easy. Didn't mean I liked it. But I didn't hate it.

This is why I don't review a day later. I got nothing.
Stacee
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I’m always here for anything Emily writes and after that comparison to Stranger Things, I was excited.

I really liked Franny and her group of ordinaries. Their dynamic and loyalty are fantastic. I’m a huge fan of friendships that are really found families and this one is done to perfection. I will admit to not being able to keep them all straight at first, but it was easy to settle in {especially because modifiers like Nick’s tattooed hands and Levi’s bright hats were always being used.}

Plot wis
Amy
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
It is my opinion and also a true fact that Emily Henry and her books are a gift to this world and I will not be accepting any counter-arguments at this time. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

*****
if this book could make its way into my hands asap that would be great thanks
Renee Godding
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
2/5 stars

I resorted to skim reading the final 100 pages, as I had a lot of trouble staying invested or interested in finishing this book by then.
I was hoping for a fun YA adventure story with a bit of a dark undertone ala Dark or Stranger Things, but what I got was a disjointed story that soon became a slog to get through.
A slow set up, unmemorable characters and an unsatisfying pay off, that felt very rushed in the final 50 pages to add insult to injury. I’m not going so far as giving it 1 st
A Paperback Life
Jun 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2021
WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS BOOK SOONER?!?!!
My heart-
so many feelings
A proper review to come whenever I can string a complete sentence together.
Lata
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No matter how hard I kept trying to shake this thought, I kept thinking that this book seemed like an interesting melding of both the X-Files and Super 8. Considering I enjoyed both of these, I can say that the comparison didn't take anything away from this book.
All the teens in this story have had their lives touched horribly by an accident at the local steel mill. Franny and her brother Arthur, Remy, Sofia, Levi and Nick, hang out together, and all have a variety of coping mechanisms to help
Marhaba Gul
Jun 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: The Serpent King meets Stranger Things.

Me: *sold*
Giulia
Mar 17, 2019 marked it as the-did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
"The six of us were destined to be alone, trapped in a grief we weren’t willing or able to share, but from then on, at least we were alone together."

Unpopular Opinion Time 🐸☕️

DNF @33%
Wow, 2019 isn't looking good as far as reading goes :/

Look fam, life is too short to read things I don’t care about.
And this is precisely the case.

I don’t think anybody is more shocked than I am right now.
But alas, there’s no need beating around the bush: for as much as I’ve read, I did not enjoy When the Sky Fell
Aj Sterkel
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Likes: Look at me, reading a book right after it comes out. Usually my preorders sit on the shelf for a year before I get around to reading them. This one was too tempting to leave on the shelf.

When The Sky Fell on Splendor is a fast-paced story about six teens who became friends after a steel mill explosion. This could be a straightforward novel about grief and friendship, but it’s not. The author puts a creative spin on typical teen book topics. While the teens are filming a video one night, s
Caidyn (he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

DNF at 60ish pages

Yeah. I’d been anticipating this book because it was pitched as a Stranger Things mashup. I love that show, but this book didn’t work for me at all. Therefore, I have to use (a surprisingly fitting) cheat.

This alien transports me elsewhere, so I’m now done with the readathon! Thanks little dude.

But, back to the book.

Right away, I was turned off by it. I nearly stopped reading after the first chapter, but I made myself keep going since I
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I recently devoured this book and omg, I should have read this book during daylight! 😭😂 It's not really scary at all, but it is packed with suspense and can totally see why it is pitched as The Serpent King meets Stranger Things! ✨ It's about a group of friends who get to witness something STRANGE while they trespass on private property in a small town called Splendor (in Ohio!). So many twists and turns, I can definitely say this book is a page-turner & would highly recommend! 😍💕📚 (Also note ...more
Undomiel Books (Rosie)
We've got ourselves another 5* read, kids. Feels like I haven't had one of them in ages (if you take all my recent Harry Potter re-reads out of the equation.)

This is my first experience of an Emily Henry book, and it goes without saying that I will seek out more of them as soon as I wrap up this little blurt of thoughts. I came across this book merely after seeing it on my Goodreads feed as one that someone else had listed as "to read", and was sucked in by the funky sounding title, and the kick
Kaja
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
This was overall a pretty okay book. There was nothing that i hated and not that much i loved, it was exactly okay. I was pretty excited about this and expected a lot from it (which might actually be a part of the problem) and am pretty disappointed that i didn’t enjoy it as much as i hoped i would, since i loved all previous Emily Henry’s books.

The dog was an awesome character though and i really liked the twist at the ending, but it still didn’t make up for the fact i was pretty much bored thr
Fiona✨
SOUNDTRACK:

Sylvan Esso - Coffee
The Ting Tings - Estranged
Slowdive - Star Roving

--------------------------

I neither have the time nor the energy to write a proper review on this right now, so here's a quick list on why this was a pretty lukewarm reading experience. At first I had this on three stars, because it wasn't ALL terrible, but I think I might even lower it to two, because ugghhh I'm pissed about this. I WANTED TO LIKE THIS. AND I DIDN'T. AHHH.

👽 THE MEH 👽

✨ To be fair, after having read an
Sara Saif
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book was such an interesting thrilling mystery, until the writer resolved the mystery, that is. Then it just weirded me out and underwhelmed me.

(Spoilers in the next paragraph)

I keep comparing this to both IT and Stranger Things, both have a bunch of kids that are friends who encounter an alien and the setting is scary. Also, Monster House, if anyone remembers that creepy film. It also had a group of kids as friends but the book resembles this movie in other ways, the scary old man everyone

Amber
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it

I had been putting this one off for a while because of the mixed reviews, but this story really worked for me. It wasn't perfect but I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. The beginning is a bit on the slow side and it's hard to keep track of all of the characters. As the story progresses you get to know how everyone connects and see everyone's uniqueness.

The story is definitely more character study and less sci-fi. So, don't go into this expecting a sci-fi heavy book. But, I liked t

• Hello Girls
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • Night Music
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Screen Queens
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • Spy Runner
  • Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Eclipse the Skies (Ignite the Stars, #2)
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The Wild Lands
  • Teeth in the Mist
See top shelves…
Emily Henry writes stories about love and family for both teens and adults. She studied creative writing at Hope College and the now-defunct New York Center for Art & Media Studies. Find her on Instagram @EmilyHenryWrites.