Start by marking “The Demon Race” as Want to Read:
The Demon Race

The Demon Race

Hidalgo meets An Ember in the Ashes in this Middle Eastern-inspired YA fantasy debut.

A race across the desert.

An unimaginable prize.

It occurs once every thousand years: the Demon Race. A test of will and strength, it is a race across the Saraj, a fight for the prize of a lifetime. And it is the key to Namali Hafshar’s freedom.

When shy, seventeen-year-old Namali learns of h
Published September 18th 2018 by Wolf Publishing (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Race

Start your review of The Demon Race
may ➹
me: don’t know if I will love this :/ :(
also me: [tears up and nearly cries] [rates it 4.5 stars]
Darque  Dreamer
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Demon Race was intense and edgy. But, it wasn’t just about a dangerous race across the desert for a prize. It was about a race to survive a journey of self discovery. It was about the struggle between light, darkness and the balance between.

Alexandria built an incredible world and story here. There was layer upon layer of rich detail that drew me in and kept me turning the pages. At any given point, I felt like I was in the middle of the Saraj desert with Namali. The writing was vivid and be
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to the author for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

The Demon Race is a (for now) fantasy standalone set in a desert. It clearly has demons so I was quite ready for this book. And for the most part it delivered. But I have been going back and forth on my rating for a while now. In the end I decided to take my rating to the high end as this is a debut author and I settled on 4 stars. That doesn’t mean I don’t have some bones to pick with it though.

Let us start with the f
Jordan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

Going into The Demon Race, I expected an adventurous YA novel that was on the darker side, but still something relatively 'of the norm.' I did not expect such a dark, emotional, character-driven, all-around stunning journey to find oneself. I am more than thrilled about this book. This is a standalone fantasy with a Middle Eastern-inspired desert setting and an abundance of demons and daevas. There is a very minor romantic aspect of this book, but i
Hannah (Ink & Myths)
I want to thank Alexandria Warwick, for writing this novel and providing me with an ARC of The Demon Race in exchange for an honest review. All quotes were taken from an advanced reader’s copy and may be subject to change.

"Choice. The word meant nothing and everything. Nothing, because she'd never had a choice, and everything for the same reason."

The Demon Race is a gripping book, filled with wonderful mythology and world-building. It’s set in the depths of a desert, a place that holds a
Larissa (Book Bosomed Blonde)
Epic fantasy or not? This book promises darkness, demons, and breaking boundaries, with an epic race battling through the obstacles but what i found was more of an epic struggle of finding yourself in a young and oppressed girl in a world of men. Not exactly what i was expecting.

The writing style is really whimsical and saturated in darkness. I loved the way Warwick was able to incorporate both innocence and evil into such a condensed book. She really makes you think about what it is to be human
Anthony ➳ KeepReadingForward ➳
3/5
Date Reviewed:
30 June 2018
This Review was first posted on Keep Reading Forward. If you want to see more, check out our other locations as well as here.

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

In The Demon Race, Namali learns of an arranged marriage, and once she realizes she has no choice, she flees her home in an attempt to avoid the marriage. When an odd chance leads her to discover the Demon Race and the prize the winner shall receives, she suddenly realizes that i
Lauren James  (storied.adventures)
Full review on my blog, Storied Adventures

4.5 STARS!!

I reserve 5 stars for books I will definitely re-read. I just don't know yet if this will be one of them.

This book was freaking good. A surprisingly thought provoking read. There were three moral lessons that I got.

1. Just because your circumstances or people around you might be bad at the time, doesn't give you the right to rage at the world. You CAN choose good despite what life throws at you. And yes, it's the hardest thing in the world to
Anne Z.
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have so many things to say ...
Review coming to the blog soon!

For now let me just say this: I am sooooooooooo tired of girls that can do it all in YA. Mary-sues are just not for me!

For the full review (available from Aug 30th) and more Subscribe/Like/Follow

Blog: http://glimpsesofmybooks.blogspot.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/glimpses_of...
GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5...
Rendz
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

*I was provided a review copy by the author, which does not affect my opinion in any way!*

This was such a surprise read. I will be honest, I expected a really generic fantasy. I’ve read lots of Dangerous Game books, so I felt like I could pin this one easily. And boy was I wrong, wrong, wrong. This book is many things, but above all things it is DEEP. Like it hits you in the soul and you hurt.

What I Liked:
Characters:

Namali: Wow. Can I just say that I love stories where the heroine does not st
Rachael
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author in return for an honest review. This in no way influences my opinion.

It occurs once every thousand years: the Demon Race. A test of will and strength, it is a race across the Saraj, a fight for the prize of a lifetime. And it is the key to Namali Hafshar's freedom.

When shy, seventeen-year-old Namali learns of her arranged marriage, she flees home and enters the Demon Race for the chance to change her fate. But to compete, she must cross the Saraj on a daeva,
Stephanie (Bookfever)
When I read the synopsis of The Demon Race I just knew it was something I had to read. A race that occurs every thousand years with a wish as its price, a desert fantasy inspired by the Middle East, a young heroine fleeing her arranged marriage by entering the race, and of course demons. Yasss!

Another surprising thing with this book was that some parts were quite dark and it was definitely something that actually makes you think. Especially in the way of how a lot of women still don't have a voi
Nikki
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS REVIEW & MORE → SYNOPSES BY SARGE

"It’s called the Demon Race, and it does only take place every one thousand years. People enter because the prize is worth the risk of crossing the Saraj."

Namali is entrapped in an arranged marriage her father concocted. Upon this realization (and much sooner than anticipated), Namali is left with no choice but to join the Demon Race. Giving up her most prized possession and friend, she barters with a merchant to buy the necessities to enter the race.

"She wo
Louise
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, ya, standalone
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I picked up The Demon Race towards the end of a long readathon. To make it worse, I’d let the e-arc languish on my Kindle for a good while and somehow — in the time between accepting it, and picking it up — I’d got it into my head that it was some kind of science fiction story. It’s not.

Of course, none of these are bad things, but it did mean The Demon Race had to work a little harder to win me over.

And, boy oh boy, did it!

The
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Many thanks to to the author for providing me with an E-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

When Namali realises her father will not budge, no matter how much she protests her arranged marriage, she decides to enter a race.  A race that comes once every thousand years and boasts a prize that could free her forever - the winner will be granted a wish.

Although she knows the long race across the desert will be dangerous, with sandstorms, dehydration and other competitors to deal with,
Tânia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-author
If you liked the film Hidalgo (one of my favourites) and The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater then you should read this The Demon Race.

The writing. The Demon Race is brutal and lyrical novel.Alexandria Warwick's prose is beautiful. Every sentence is captivating. Every quote enthralling. The story-line was so perfectly carved that made the world magical, even if it was dark and violent. The descriptions were so vivid that it was almost as if you were part of the Saraj.

However, the story became
Melanie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Its review time!! Its the middle of the night again I guess I write better at night or something!

But its release day for this book and I'm really excited to share it with you!

So lets start!!

This book was so well thought out! I loved the plot line and the setting they mixed together so well.

A race across the desert so perfect and all the magical elements were so perfect for this book.

I think my favorite thing is the story line is so new to me and that grabbed my attention the first time I saw it
Angela Cuéllar
pooled ink Reviews:
3.5 Stars

The Demon Race is a desert-based fantasy featuring a deadly race, a girl grasping for freedom, and a dark magic that just might grant them the light. Be ready for a fast-paced read painted with bright colors and a constant darkness lurking beneath.

Read my FULL review here: https://pooledink.com/2018/07/23/the-...
Roxy Carl
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sept
Someone PLEASE put this book in my hands so I can read it during nighttime nursing sessions with my newborn!!
Nikole Clow
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon! :)
Brittany Tellefsen (thecontinuingchronicles)
Rating: 3.5/5

I was a sent an ARC of this novel in exchange of an honest review.

When shy, obedient Namali learns that her father has orchestrated an arranged marriage between her and a wealthy merchant, she flees. Desperate to escape this marriage, she enters The Demon Race, a race that occurs once every thousand years, a race that grants the winner their greatest wish.

But to win, Namali must cross the Saraj, a vast expanse of desert wasteland and she must cross it on a daeva, a shadow demon tha
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh man, this was such a disappointment. I wanted an exciting race across the desert and deadly demons. What I got instead was a girl whose biggest concern, even while being infected by a demon, was the handsome man who wanted to marry her. This book seemed to forget what it was that it promised in the synopsis. I expected a dark and deadly race with demons and magic. The book would deliver on this every now and then as if it remembered what it was supposed to be about. Then it would switch to Na ...more
Agnes
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I actually cried at the end of this book. I seldom cry when reading, but this one hit me just right.

Namali, learning she is to be wed with or without her consent, decides to enter the Demon Race, a race occurring once every thousand years, in which the winner can get a wish granted.

More than a coming of age story, this is a story of self-discovery, of breaking free of the chains imposed by society and family and even oneself. All in the middle of a truly demonic race through a Sahara-like desert
Ann Hughey
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The author can spin a tale and I'm a sucker for a female protagonist fighting back against a patriarchal society to live her best life. ...more
Lauren
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75/5 stars. Full review TK September 18
Sally Fuhkyew
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2019
Ricarda
Oct 06, 2018
Alexandria Warwick
Apr 13, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey everyone!

You can read the first five chapters of THE DEMON RACE by signing up for my newsletter! The chapters are included in your welcome email.

Link: http://www.alexandriawarwick.com/news...

Happy reading!

Alexandria
Aishy
Dec 15, 2018
Séline
Jul 04, 2018

• Twisted Fates (Dark Stars, #2)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Girls with No Names
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Say It Again (First Wives #5)
  • Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)
  • The Kinder Poison (The Kinder Poison, #1)
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake, #2)
  • What I Like About You
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha, #1)
Alexandria Warwick is the #1 fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. She is the author of The Demon Race and the North series.

News & Interviews