Start by marking “Rainhas Geek” as Want to Read:
Rainhas Geek

Rainhas Geek

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  6,338 ratings  ·  1,916 reviews
Charlie é youtuber, atriz, bissexual... E uma das atrações principais da Supa Con, a convenção de cultura pop mais famosa do mundo. Essa é sua chance de mostrar aos fãs que superou seu término público com o ex-namorado – e co-estrela de seu último lme – Reese Ryan. O reencontro de Charlie e Reese deixa o clima pesado, mas quando a it
girl Alyssa Huntington aparece como conv
Published by Planeta de Livros Brasil / Minotauro (first published March 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Rainhas Geek, please sign up.
Jessica No, it isn't a love triangle among the three friends. The two lead characters have their own separate love story.
Julia She says she has been diagnosed as having Asperger's about six months earlier on page 120, when he is talking to the woman, Valentina, who has written…moreShe says she has been diagnosed as having Asperger's about six months earlier on page 120, when he is talking to the woman, Valentina, who has written a graphic novel about her life. (less)

·  6,338 ratings  ·  1,916 reviews

Emma Giordano
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars (but it gets a 5/5 for cuteness)! I really really enjoyed this book! I’m hoping to film a full, indepth review for my YouTube channel, but for now, here’s a quick list of reasons to read Queens of Geek:
-OWN VOICES FOR BI REP, ASPIE REP, AND ANXIETY REP
-Geeky convention setting!!!
-Chinese-Australian Bisexual main character
-Black wlw love interest
-Plus size main character with Asperger’s and dealing with an anxiety disorder
-Hispanic love interest
-Confronts really important issues like bi
Emily May
“History and experience have proven to me that it’s very hard for people to understand, and all too easy for them to judge.”

I really loved what this book did, but I just wish there was more of a story.

Queens of Geek appealed to me immediately the very moment I saw all that pink hair and read the blurb. I am a convention girl - I love them. I've made my way through various ComicCons in the UK and US, stood in line waiting to meet the people I admire, planning all the cool things I will say, and
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Can we all just collectively agree that 3 stars reviews are literally the embodiment of every awkward moment that has happened in pretty much all of recorded history?

Here’s the thing, I wish I have an all consuming passion for this book but I think the way I feel about it is very similar to the way I feel about Panic! At The Disco: I love so many of their songs but I barely even know they exist unless I'm currently listening to one of their songs.

Queens of Geek is a good representative of a GREA
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I think my expectations were just too high with this one. It did a great job in terms of representation, diversity and addressing some very prevalent social justice issues. However I think the story itself was kind of lacklustre. The writing was definitely average, the dialogue even falling on the below average side. I felt like what really made it stand out to me was its diversity and the incorporation of fan culture through the convention setting. Other than that it was just an average read. I ...more
Nat
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description
“You’ve never been in anyone’s shadow. You are your own light source.”

Twelve reasons why I became totally smitten with Queens of Geek:

1. Set around SupaCon, we follow three lively best friends attending the convention: Charlie Liang, a Chinese-Australian actor with gorgeous pink hair. Pro fangirl Taylor, who has autism spectrum disorder and deals with anxiety. And “Flirty McFlirtersons” Jamie who's one of the kindest and also “got the whole Peter Parker thing down to a tee, right down to the ca
Lola
‘‘You can’t pick and choose whose equality you support. That’s not equality.’’

This is the best feel-good, geeky fandom, LGBT book I have read this year. It deserves a tenfold increase in the number of readers it has.

Jen Wilde does such a tremendous job of teaching the reader values and morals through an unputdownable story with loveable characters that are everything but stereotypical (except maybe for big shot movie star Reese – just the right ‘‘villain’’).

I am impressed with this book. T
✨    jamieson   ✨
“Besides, there's no one way to be a girl, Tay. You don't need to fit yourself into what society tells us a girl should be. Girls can be whoever they want. Whether that's an ass-kicking, sarcastic, crime-solving FBI Agent or a funny, gorgeous, witty beauty queen--or both at the same time."

I honestly hate myself because I put off reading this book for so long for no real reason and I have so much regret. Because this was everything I was expecting and so much more. And I wish I had read it soon
C.G. Drews
This was really rather spectacularly adorkable. It is a sweet piece of rainbow fluff I tell you. RAINBOW FLUFF. Which is both good and bad because on one side: it's uplifting, encouraging, and cute. Buuuuut, on the other side it is kind of insubstantial because everything was so perfect and all the characters were like perfect potatoes and AS MUCH AS I LOVE POTATOES, no one is a perfect potato all the time. Some of us are kind of mouldy zucchini at times.

Excuse me. The vegetable analogy ends now
Sana
Queens of Geek is a perfect example of a brilliant idea, but poor execution. Honestly this book's got it all: perfect anxiety rep, body rep, bisexual!! rep, geeky kids, people of color!! and the whole supacon thing. But reading about all of this would have been perfect if the writing didn't feel so?? immature and monotonous.

●Charlie is an Asian-Australian bisexual vlogger and an upcoming actress who USES THE WORD BISEXUAL!!!!!, with pink hair and recently left a relationship with a small minded
Warda
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
My heart has bursted several times and I am in love with this book! Wow! It's exactly what I needed to read.

I don't know how to review this - and tbh I feel like this every time - but when a book has a special place in your heart because of how much you connected to it, it makes it that much more difficult.

I love that this was set at a convention. It made me geekish heart explode! I related to Taylor on so many levels! Her anxiety, her constant fear of going into the unknown. To see her inner di
Riley
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly the kind of book I have been needing. I feel as if Jen took every important part of my identity and created this book solely for me. Not only was this such a fun read, but it also had wonderful discussions about important topics. The characters felt so real that at times I felt like I was reading about my own friends.

The story follows two friends as they travel from Australia to the USA, to attend SupaCon:
-Charlie, a youtube star who recently starred in her first film and ended
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, anxiety
THIS WAS SO GREAT. Also the perfect book to read during Vidcon!
prag ♻
I am completely in love with the concept of this book — I just don’t buy the execution completely.

Jen Wilde weaves in important themes: body-shaming, racism, sexism and equality. But the book became too caught up in being important, and it forgot to be real.

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars. To get my bitter self out of the way and get into the gushing: Queens of Geek is very short. Short books often end up being a little forgettable; without room for a long character arc, they've got to be super emotional. I tend to enjoy short books only when they pack a punch. This book was just not impactful enough to justify such a short and lowkey underdeveloped story.

Don't get me wrong, though– this was a very cute story. We follow two girls, Charlie and Taylor, as
Danika at The Lesbrary
Oops, I accidentally read this in a day.

This is so, so good. I mean:

- fat, geeky, anxious aspie protagonist discovering her own amazingness
- Chinese-Australian bisexual protagonist reaffirming her amazingness
- adorable friends-to-lovers romance (with a guy who is supportive and kind—not like Charlie's toxic masculinity-poisoned ex)
- adorable F/F romance between two vloggers who are both fans of each other
- takes place entirely at a convention!!
- love letter to fandom
- (though also acknowledging
sofia (sam willows)
So here I am, writing this review, right after I finished Queens Of Geek. I have no idea what to say that compares to how awesome, nerdy, awkward and adorkable this book is.

This book should have way more recognicion and hype than it already has, please help spread the word about this beautiful piece of art.

Queens Of Geek is narrated by two girls. One of them is Charlie, a Chinese-Australian bisexual 18 year-old who is a Youtube star and has recently starred in her first movie. We also have one o
✨Tamara
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book!
SupaCon!!!! Three friends travel from Melbourne, Australia to an L A comic convention. In the three days of adventure through the convention, all three of them find love in the most unforeseen places. 💘
This book is so adorable! Although it only spans the time of 3 days, it is perfectly written and keeps you flipping through the pages from beginning to end. The characters are not just a little relatable. I think most people would be able to see themselves in these characters.
The
emma
hey, question: why can't almost-good things just be good already?????

this book is sooooooo almost good. it's a great concept! no, ok, it isn't. it's a fine concept with so much amazing diversity and representation (bi rep! autism rep! anxiety rep! people of color!) that you wish you could like it more than ANYTHING but you just can't. for reasons i shall enumerate Right Now, under one extremely catchy and all-encompassing subheading.

This Is Fanfiction For Fictional Characters
- takes place at a
Monica
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I related to this book on such a deep level - and not just because the MC and I are both asians with pink hair who have youtube channels haha. I love the relationships and characters in this book. I loved the setting, and the plot was fun and light but had real heart to it. The dialogue was sometimes a bit stilted, so I'd give it 4.5 stars, but overall I 100% recommend this!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
In terms of representation, this book gets 5/5 stars from me. I personally found all of the descriptions of bisexuality to be SPOT ON and it made me so happy to see a main character share feelings similar to how I felt when I first figured out that I was bi. And the amazing representation didn't stop there! This book was so great. The only reason I'm taking off a star is because I did find it a bit too cheesy at times, but I still ultimately loved this so much. It was just sooo fun
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

As you may or may not know, I went to my first convention ever last year. Fanime Con in San Jose, CA. Ever since I was young, I've always been really into anime, comic books, and science-fiction-fantasy. Even before it was cool to do so. Going to a con was one of my life goals, but I used to be really shy when I was younger, so I didn't go in my teens or early twenties because the thought of being in a large crowd, alone, was way too scary.
Mary
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE GOOD:

* Fun, easy to read, funny, witty
* Holy diverse cast, Batman! Characters who are racially diverse, body type diverse, one of the MCs is autistic and the other one is bisexual
* So many pop culture nods (including Tumblr, which was such a fun surprise) - the entire book takes place at a convention similar to Comic Con
* Characters that are romantically interested in each other actually communicate their feelings and talk them over, instead of having unnecessary drama over not talking
* Jus
ambsreads
I can see why this book is important; bisexual rep and autism spectrum rep. I was beyond excited for autism representation due to one of my cousins being autistic, so any book that represents him correctly makes me excited. Queens of Geek did do that. It also had great bisexual representation. However, I wasn't feeling this book. I couldn't connect to the character. I wasn't feeling excited over events and situations. It just fell flat for me, unfortunately.

Full review to come.
Jessica
So I can’t decide whether to give this 3.5 or 4 stars, so I’ll just stick with 4 because overall I did like it.

The best way to describe how i felt about this book is with a list.

What I liked:
-The diversity! I loved seeing a bisexual character done correctly. I also loved that Charlie was Asian. Taylor being autistic was also a nice addition and something you hardly ever see.
-Charlie’s love story. It was super cute <3 Alyssa knows how to take a girl out on a date.
-The fandom references, espec
Vee S
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know the last time I so thoroughly enjoyed a book. This had a fantastic bisexual woc (who falls for another woc!) and a fantastic autistic girl who has anxiety and has the most adorable romance. They were both baes as were their love interests and I just want to be BFFs with all of them.

This book encapsulates all the best and most affirming aspects of fandom. It's so true to my experience, and the experiences of many others. Plus it's INCREDIBY current. There are references to Orphan Bl
may ➹
May 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
next time y’all hype up a book for its queer rep, give it equal hype for its characters of color, yeah? stop erasing characters by not mentioning integral parts of their identity!!!! they may be fictional characters but there are real-life people who can find representation in them, and who can be hurt by this erasure. they’re literally queer characters OF COLOR; if you can spare a few words to describe their sexuality in your reviews, you can absolutely spare a few words to describe their race/ ...more
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I have a little reservation with Queens of Geek, Swoon Reads is usually a hit or miss for me. Though, the cover and synopsis alone has been hypnotizing me. I’m glad I followed my instinct because this book is all shades of amazing.

When I picked it up, I didn’t expect it would have intersectionality. This is not your bare minimum attempt at diversity. The story follows best-friends Charlie, Taylor, and Jamie as they attend a comic con. It was told from the shifting perspective of Charlie and Tay
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
YouTube sensation Charlie recently starred in a movie that has seen more success than anyone thought. After a public breakup with her costar Reese, she’s determined to show the world she’s moved on. The perfect place to do this is at SupaCon – a convention where she’ll be a guest meeting fans, but also where she can escape the real world for a while. Shortly after arriving, she meets Alyssa, a fellow YouTube star, who she might have a crush on…it seems the crush may not be one sided either.

Charl
Faye*
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. I NEED THIS TO BE A MOVIE!!!

2. Actual Review:

Disclaimer: I like to rate books for what they are. When I see a YA contemporary with a pink cover and under 300 pages, I more or less know what I'm getting myself into. Yes, it's too short and yes, it's no literary masterpiece but it is as sweet and fluffy as cotton candy. Also, it sweetened my over 3 hour long doctor’s appointment today. So yay.

A few thoughts:

1. The Characters
The diversity was amazing. We have bisexual, autistic, gay, PO
Mel (Epic Reading)
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Cute, cute, cute!!!
That's really the best description for Queens of Geek. This book is funny, heartfelt, adorable and genuine. The story resonates with me and I wish I had had this to read as a teenager. Not only is there lots of talk about coping with anxiety, but there are also moments discussing self esteem. These are two major issues I had as a teen and still have today even at the age of 34.

This book does a wonderful job at showing that everyone gets nervous, anxious and self conscious. Wh
Autistic Authors ...: Queens of Geek 1 2 Jan 22, 2019 08:45AM
Have you heard? 1 8 Nov 24, 2018 03:54PM
YA LGBT Books: * Aug 2018 BotM - "Queens of Geek" - poss spoilers 8 52 Sep 29, 2018 09:25AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde - Restarting August 6th 2018 18 53 Sep 06, 2018 08:04AM
Čteme anglicky: Letní čtení 2018 - Queens of Geek 1 14 Apr 25, 2018 06:48AM

• The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • Noteworthy
  • Now a Major Motion Picture
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy
  • Meg & Linus
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Like Water
  • Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1)
  • Night Swimming
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Complementary and Acute
  • The Seafarer's Kiss (The Seafarer's Kiss #1)
  • Future Leaders of Nowhere
  • Begin, End, Begin: A #LoveOzYA Anthology
  • How to Make a Wish
  • Dress Codes for Small Towns
  • Untidy Towns
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
“That's what we do. We walk a tightrope every day. Getting out the door is a tightrope. Going grocery shopping is a tightrope. Socializing is a tightrope. Things that most people consider to be normal, daily parts of life are the very things we fear and struggle with the most, and yet here we are, moving forward anyway. That's not weak.” 65 likes
“To the girl who hid in the shadows and tried to body-shame me, I’m sorry you thought that was a good use of your time and energy. I hope you find happiness within yourself. You deserve that. We all do.” 31 likes