Start by marking “Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places” as Want to Read:
Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places

Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places

Websites and apps are places where critical parts of our lives happen. We shop, bank, learn, gossip, and select our leaders there. But many of these places weren’t intended to support these activities. Instead, they're designed to capture your attention and sell it to the highest bidder. Living in Information draws upon architecture as a way to design information environme ...more
Published June 15th 2018 by Two Waves Books

To ask other readers questions about Living in Information, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living in Information

Kim Gausepohl
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Rosenfeld books are nice introductions to UX concepts and I wish I was aware of them when I was first starting out in grad school. But as intro texts, they always leave me wanting more. I don’t think I am the audience for this.
Massimo Curatella
There is a strong parallel between the characteristics and the influences of physical places on our lives and what worlds of information living in immaterial digital existences are having on them as well.

Living in Information by Jorge Arango is about designing digital places: information spaces where we act, move, search and request to satisfy our needs in similar and sometimes more complex and powerful ways than the physical ones.

As designers of interactions, learning, services, products we nee
Jon Nguyen
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really liked the core concept of this book, which is that we should be approaching the design of what he calls “information environments” more like architects who build buildings. He introduces a lot of useful concepts from the world of architecture to apply to digital products. It was for those that I was glad I read book.

On the other hand, the book is more a proposal of the idea, but it doesn’t go I to a whole lot of depth. His examples are fairly poor, and so to apply this thinkin
Michael
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jorge Arango has written an important book at an important time. He challenges us to think environmentally about design and about the new ethical terrain we enter as information environments become both pervasive and inescapable. If I have a single criticism it is simply that I wish Arango had gone deeper. That said, his prose is lucid and accessible and the work he’s doing here is foundational. He’s done this work superbly, carefully and thoughtfully. This a major contribution.
Katie Yaeger
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read showcasing the connection between the physical and the digital.
Louis House
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Informative and interesting. A book that might be valuable to anyone interested in design and technology, whether as a user or as a producer.
Juan
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Una visión interesante acerca del ambiente que rodea la información y a quien toma decisiones basado en lo que ve, lee, siente y experimenta.
Danilo Gutierrez
Joe Lachoff
Mar 17, 2019
Anne
Aug 14, 2018
Jorge Arango is an information architect and strategic designer based in the San Francisco Bay Area. He's the author of "Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places" (Two Waves Books, 2018) and co-author of "Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond" (O'Reilly Media, 2015).