Start by marking “Between Two Seas” as Want to Read:
Between Two Seas

Between Two Seas

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  346 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Bound by a vow made to her dying mother, Marianne sells her few belongings and leaves Grimsby. Her destination? Denmark, where she will search for her father, Lars Christensen - the golden-haired fisherman her mother fell in love with many years before.
Published January 3rd 2008

Silence by Becca FitzpatrickStarcrossed by Josephine AngeliniTorment by Lauren KateSo Shelly by Ty RothAwake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter
Water
583 books — 158 voters
Where She Went by Gayle FormanFirelight by Sophie JordanNightshade by Andrea CremerFallen by Lauren KateUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Prettiest YA Cover Model
372 books — 266 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults, Adults.
I loved the story very much. Marianne's journey from England to Denmark to find her father is very well told and the conflict she finds, and the relationships she builds are lovingly told with warmth and honesty.
†☻☯★GothicPrincess (aka alixx )★☯☻
Marta
Dec 19, 2008 is currently reading it
I did not have art this term and we were doing our exams. Art was last but I did not have to do it so I needed to do something for the hour. My friend was doing the test and gave me this book to read. I only read about 70 pages in the 1 hour but I found the book really interesting and I eant to read it as fast as possible. I hope no one has reserved it and that she finishes reading it really quickly.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it
i thought that this book was quite a gripping book but not quite enough so for me.
Kellie Marnoch
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but it really isn't the adventure the blurb says it is. It's a nice quiet book about finding and making your home. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't spent a majority of the book wondering when something dramatic was going to happen.
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the second book I read by Marie-Louise Jensen and I really enjoyed it. I really liked the originality of the story.
It follows a girl who travels overseas to find her father after her mother dies, but when she arrives at this foreign country, she finds out her father is dead. She finds no point in returning back to her poor home in England, so she begins to work so she can save money and move. But the longer she spends there, the more she feels like she belongs, and begins to fall in lo
Jess
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I fail to see what is so captivating about this book that warrants it high ratings. This was the second Marie-Louise Jensen book I read, the first being the Lady in the Tower (A book I loved) but this book seemed to have exactly the same characteristics as the first. Loving devoted mother torn away from the girl, an unlikable father who fails to redeem himself at all.

The romance of this book failed to capture me, Peter seems like a brooding teenage boy of the 21st century, rather than a rustic
Jenny
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jensen's heroines seem to possess remarkable strength - girls who really stand up for themselves and are comfortable with who they are. Marianne does have some things to settle, like the mystery of her absentee father, but the small town she lands in works for her, and instead of whining and complaining she figures things out bit by bit. The romance is cute, although quick - I'm not a huge fan of love at first sight, but it worked out alright. I think the thing that made me rear back a bit was t ...more
Ariel
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The characters were fantastic and I had extreme opinions on them. I came to love a lot of them. I love how the story is just a diary for the mostpart, but nearer the end, that's where the fun really begins. The SHOCK* (don't want to tell spoilers) nearer the end was everything I hoped for, but I haden't expected it until just before it was actually written before my eyes. I am really pleased with this book and shall read it plenty more times. It's wonderful. I'd reccomm ...more
SBC
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I quite liked the first few chapters, the descriptions of the settings and life in the past. However, I got lost in the saggy middle. I found it hard to believe that a character who'd spent her life being persecuted for being a bastard and been upset by people's accusations at her mother's character would risk getting branded all over again as a whore herself when she was in a new community with a new start. Other than that, the twist at the end was good.
Kirsty
Dec 27, 2015 added it
this is such an easy read and at times gets to the back of your throat. you really feel for marianne because she thinks shw haa lost everybody but she keeps her promise to her mother and she makes new friends. she jumps over every hurdle in her way.such a brilliant book that i have read three times now and still never get bored
Elen Caldecott
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-s
From the blurb I was expecting a quest-story, but this was much more than that. The descriptions of the people and landscape were rich and engaging. There is such a strong sense of place (and a strange place at that) which grounds the whole novel. I can't wait for the next book!
Christine Byleveld
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I started the book, and wanted to put it down. The story was a little bit dull with only the narrator to rely on events. But when she arrives in Skagen, and started to meet the town people and making friends, the story strengthens. I enjoyed it - friendship, loyalty and acceptance of who you are.
Zach
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was totally amazing!!! I just loved it all! I love Marie-Louise Jensen's style of writing - It really gets to me - and this book is just as good, if not better than the other book by her that I've read - The Girl In The Mask!
Selah Bell
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I also liked this book, but not quite as much as The Lady In The Tower. It was well written, and the characters seemed alive, but I didn't like the story-line quite as much. Still a very good book.
Carrie Etter
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Glad to be reading this at last, I'm enjoying it immensely.
Sowndarya
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Nice writing. Great story. I couldn't put it down.
Belle
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Soph
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclubs
really enjoyed this book. The first I've read by this author. Beautiful imagery and likeable characters.
Hayley
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a beautiful and touching book, and would recommend it to anyone!
Scarlette Thorn
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
RUBBISH, predictable and poorly writen. DO NOT BE BEWITCHED BY THIS BOOKS FRANKLY BRILLIANT FRONT COVER!!!
Gennie
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wasn't captured at the beginning, but I really enjoyed it towards the end.
Georgina
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the most BRILLANT masterpiece I have ever read in my entire life
Lindsay
Jun 03, 2012
Lisa Thompson
May 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Betrayal (At the House of the Magician, #3)
  • The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles, #2)
  • Emerald
  • Whisper My Name
  • The Fall of the Blade: A Girl's French Revolution Diary 1792-1794
  • Saving Grace (Beyond Time, #3)
  • In the Woods
  • Pink Chameleon (Silk Sisters, #1)
  • I am Rembrandt's Daughter
  • The Glass Swallow
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The 100 Best Poems of All Time
  • The Morning Gift
  • The Falconer's Knot: A Story of Friars, Flirtation and Foul Play
  • I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend
  • Fire and Water (Primeval, #8)
Born Marie-Louise Chalcraft in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire on September 22nd 1964.

I attended a string of state schools, including Chiltern Edge in Oxfordshire. Once my family moved down to Bath in 1979, I attended Fitzmaurice and St Laurence schools in Bradford on Avon. Throughout my primary school years I was constantly told off for reading secretly and writing long stories instead of completi
More about Marie-Louise Jensen...