Start by marking “Hide and Seek (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Hide and Seek (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 3)

Hide and Seek (Venus Prime #3)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  380 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
the third volume in a series of science-fiction thrillers evolving from the works of arthur c. clarke, grandmaster of science fiction and author of 2001: a space odyssey. Her code name is Sparta. Her beauty veils a mysterious past and abilities far surpassing those of a normal human?the first product of advanced biotech engineering.

At long last, evidence of extraterrestria
Published May 1st 2000 by I Books (first published September 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Hide and Seek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide and Seek

Max Uhrig
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-epub
Better than part 2, but still felt a bit empty. Characters finally flesh out some more character (heh), and I'm starting to dig the main story arch. Still, the substory of this book felt far fetched and the ending rather forced.
Stephen Simpson
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This book, and this entire series of books, is just annoying.

This book is not great. It's not good literature. It's not even good sci-fi. There's nothing really innovative in them and the writing is not sterling.

And yet ... the damn things are very engaging , very compelling, and I'm enjoying reading them. A good mix of sci-fi and adventure, with mystery/whodunnit pieces thrown in as well, this book is well-paced and fun. Some of the characterizations are a little superficial and its somewhat p
B. Barceló
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Esta obra ya no es un puente entre un libro y otro de la saga, al contrario de lo que pasaba con el segundo libro. En esta historia nos encontramos un argumento completo con un final relativamente cerrado. Se desentraña un nuevo misterio y seguimos descubriendo más de los personajes y de las fuerzas que actúan sobre los mundos.

Decir que esperaba que el final fuera algo más sonado, con más acción dados los acontecimientos. Pero, aún así, esto ayuda a dar pie a las nuevas aventuras. Por lo que seg
Paul Darcy
by Paul Preuss, published in 1989.

This, as you can tell from the title, is volume three of the Venus Prime series. A rather neat series of books based on some of Arthur C. Clarke’s shorter works. This one is based off of his short story “Hide and Seek”.

Part mystery, part science fiction and part action adventure, I’m finding this series quite enjoyable. In this, the third installment, we find Sparta (Ellen Troy) traveling to Mars to investigate the theft of an alien plaque, and two murders that
Bryan
Jul 03, 2010 added it
Clarke's view of Mars through the eyes of Paul Preuss: I first read this series when it came out in the late 1980's. They are highly entertaining and among my favorite books, it is high time they got a second printing. This third installment which takes us to Mars is as enjoyable as the rest, though my favorite is the second installment, "Maelstrom".

Over the years I've had a lot of fun with Sparta and "The Free Spirit". I just wish I knew how to get my hands on one of those "Snark" attack helic

Ian Anderson
A detective story set on Mars during the early days of terraforming the planet. It is more about the surgically enhanced detective than about solving the theft and related murders. There is a fair bit of detail about the technology used on Mars (including a bunch of wire frame diagrams of various vehicles and buildings that are only incidentally related to the story).

The crimes are solved quite easily but only one or two layers of detail are exposed about the people behind the crimes and about w
Chris Devine
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book in the Venus Prime series. Murder, mystery detective novel all wrapped up in a sci-fi environment with real world physics and with a story arc that is only revealed a bit of a time in each book. What's not to like? Sparta / Ellen / Linda is a superbly written character; kick-ass yet vulnerable and sometimes naïve. Not quite up to the second book but still excellent. On to VP4!
Cian Beirdd
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel seemed a cut above the first two. Multiple suspects, each with their own motivations, and an intriguing murder on Martian soil. The plot is again fairly simple, a mystery. We learn about the secret society only that they are immensely wealthy and consider themselves expendable. What is new is the development of a relationship between SPARTA and her friend.
Barry
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: probably
This was a pleasure to read beginning to end. The story, and mystery keep your attention. I can't go into much more detail because I read this a long time ago. I can say that I remember bits and pieces sometimes, so it has affected me on some level.
Ian
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent Clarke scifi read. Stimulating and imaginitive. What happened to dreaming of science and space? Oh yeah, TV.
John
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Grade C+. Book Vp3, Clarke's Venus Prime series.
Jeff Rudisel
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
VENUS PRIME ARTHUR C. CLARKE
TIE-TOGETHER SERIES OF SIX CLARKE STORIES INTO NEW SERIES BY PREUSS.
Happycomfort
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
awesome series
Patrick Bender
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad book in the series, but not the most stellar - it's the book that ties the beginning of the story to the complex ending.
Tim Morty
  • The Star
  • Kaleidoskop
  • Millennium
  • The Best and the Brightest
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)
  • The War Against the Rull
  • Timemaster
  • Harm's Way
  • Les Aigles d'Orient (Wang, #2)
  • Mimsy Were the Borogoves
  • Superstrings And The Search For The Theory Of Everything
  • Robbie
  • Trapped (League of Peoples, #6)
  • Statesman (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #5)
  • The Solarians

Venus Prime (6 books)
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • The Medusa Encounter (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 4)
  • The Diamond Moon (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 5)
  • The Shining Ones (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 6)