Start by marking “Her One Mistake” as Want to Read:
Her One Mistake

Her One Mistake

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  11,793 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews
What should have been a fun-filled, carefree day takes a tragic turn for the worse for one mother when her best friend’s child goes missing in this suspenseful, compulsively readable, and darkly twisted psychological thriller.

It all started at the school fair…

Charlotte was supposed to be looking after the children, and she swears she was. She only took her eyes off of the
Published January 8th 2019 by Gallery Books (first published June 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Her One Mistake, please sign up.
Lucie It is. I had the exact same question myself, and researched it. :)
Amy Malley When searching my library for this book, I see that James Patterson has a book called "Now You See Her", so I wonder if it was to differentiate…moreWhen searching my library for this book, I see that James Patterson has a book called "Now You See Her", so I wonder if it was to differentiate between the two?(less)

·  11,793 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews

Norma * Traveling Sister
Riveting, thought-provoking & affecting!

This was quite the emotional psychological thriller that immediately drew me in and had me totally glued to those pages for the entirety of reading this book. The storyline is one that I seem to be always drawn to and where this book deals with every parent’s worst nightmare, a missing child there is a nice twist to this one that definitely made this a different reading experience for me. The angst and devastation that you feel for these characters alo
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest |

In a world full of psychological thrillers about missing girls, this is probably the only one that stands out on its own and reigns them all!

What would you do if you leave your kid with your friend, and she suddenly lost it? How would you react if they told you she was on her phone throughout that time? Your friend has many secrets, but hey - SO DO YOU!

While we have the overrated stories of how a girl goes missing, everyone involved is
Jenny
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I grew up always knowing that my mother would sacrifice her life, if necessary, for mine. She would step in front of the bus or lay down on a set of railroad tracks for me. She taught me that there is no greater bond and love you can have than that of a mother and child.
Now imagine your worst nightmare as a parent, your child goes missing.
Heidi Perks psychological thriller, Her One Mistake, is a chillingly, fast-paced mystery that will have you wondering where you missed that sign or clue severa
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars! A heart-pounding, fast-paced, jaw-dropping novel!

Every parents’ worst nightmare – your child goes missing. This is what happens to Harriet when her best friend takes her daughter, Alice, for a playdate. A fun day at the school fair ends in devastation when Charlotte cannot find Alice and has to notify the police. Harriet cannot face Charlotte after what has happened. Charlotte’s life is upended as she is demonized by society causing the walls of her, at once, large social circle to clos
Linda
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
All it takes is the slightest breeze to change the trajectory of one's life. Moments acted upon and those missed opportunities viewed longingly from over the shoulder.

Charlotte seems to hover over chaos day in and day out. She's been separated from her husband, Tom, for two years. She's used to tuning out the wild stampede of her three children who demand her attention almost every hour of the day. Charlotte has become adept at running to the front door through landmines of disguarded toys.

No on
Louise Wilson
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now you see her - she's playing at the school fete with your own children. You pull out your phone, scroll through Facebook , and when you look up again - NOW YOU DON'T.

Charlotte is Harriet's only friend. Charlotte is divorced from Tom and has three children. Harriet is married to Brian and has a daughter called Alice. Harriet has never been separated from Alice since the day she was born. Harriet is taking a bookkeeping course and asks Charlotte to look after her. Charlotte takes Alice and her
Jonetta
Charlotte Reynolds is taking her three young children to the school fair and has agree to let her friend Harriet Hodder’s 4-year old daughter, Alice, accompany them. This is the first time Harriet has left her daughter with anyone so this was a major event for the both of them. While the children were playing on an inflatable ride, Charlotte was keeping an eye on them from a short distance, briefly checking her phone messages and Facebook page. At some point she notices that Alice isn’t with her ...more
MissBecka
Thank you NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for granting my wish.

This was a well woven story with lots of intrigue.
I was a bit let down by the ending.
I had hoped for more with how well the rest of the book came together.
Carrie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks is a gripping thriller that covers every parents worse nightmare, a child gone in the blink of an eye. The author has given this a bit of a twist though with it being a friend taking care of the little girl when she goes missing.

Harriet had never been separated from her four year old daughter Alice since she had been born. Other mothers use babysitters, friends or family quite often to get even a small break but Harriet was a stay at home mother who hadn’t trusted
Kendall
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks is an emotional thriller that will definitely take you on a ride.

Of course what I do love about thrillers is that it's always darkness that will unfold at the seams once you begin the story. Heidi lays the groundwork nicely for her readers and has a nice little twist in this one that will keep you reading.

Harriet has never been separated from her four year old daughter Alice since she gave birth to her. One day Harriet's best friend Charlotte offers to take Alice t
Zoe
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophisticated, riveting, and chillingly plausible!

Now You See Her is a highly suspenseful, character-driven thriller that delves into the psychological and emotional devastation caused by a missing child and the resulting finger-pointing, fragility and dynamics between friends, family members, investigators, and the community at large.

The writing is clear and precise. The characters are complex, secretive, and troubled. And the plot told from dual point of views and alternating timelines, before
Lucie
GOSH THIS WAS GOOD!

This book is the very definition of a suspense thriller. Heart-stopping, emotional, nerve-wracking, every mother's worst nightmare, every friend's worst nightmare.

This was amazingly well-written and PERFECTLY paced, which is HARD to do. It never dragged, and I was never bored.... just really frustrated when I had to put it down to keep from completely neglecting my responsibilities as an adult. 😄

Charlotte is watching her best friend's daughter, Alice, for the day as a favor. S
NZLisaM
Emotionally Charged Psychological Suspense that had me riveted!

Fictional, domestic crime thrillers featuring missing children are flying off the shelves right now, and having read my fair share, I can honestly say that Now You See Her is among the best ones I’ve read. My second-to-top pick for this year, only beaten by Mark Edwards, The Retreat.

Mother of three, Charlotte, takes her kids (all under ten) to the school fete. Accompanying them is four year-old Alice, daughter of Charlotte’s close fr
Nicki
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This absolutely brilliant thriller is the story of the unlikely friendship between two women.There's Charlotte,divorced mother of three children,lovely house,no money worries,popular and friends with many of the mother's who meet up everyday to have a good gossip in the school playground.Then there's Harriet,married to Brian,mother of four year old Alice,lives in a drab,depressing little house,has no friends and always seems nervous and on edge.Against the odds and to the utter astonishment of C ...more
Nicola
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Now You See Her’ is the gripping new thriller from Heidi Perks.
It follows unlikely best friends Charlotte and Harriet.
Charlotte lives in a nice part of town. She’s separated from her husband, has three young children and is one of the popular mums in the playground.
Harriet is quiet and nervous. She’s married to Brian, has one child four year old Alice,lives in a small depressing house and only has Charlotte to call on as a friend.
It’s the day of the school fete.Charlotte will be taking her thr
Book of Secrets
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
HER ONE MISTAKE is a fast-paced and nerve-racking domestic thriller, centering around the disappearance of a four-year old girl.

Harriet is a nervous mother who has never let her daughter Alice out of her sight. Hesitantly, she agrees to let her friend Charlotte take Alice (along with Charlotte's three children) to a school fair. In the blink of an eye, a day of fun turns tragic when Alice goes missing.

Can you imagine the horror of losing your friend's child? Charlotte is mortified, and Harriet i
marilyn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Charlotte was more than happy to watch her friend Harriet's four year old daughter, the first time that Harriet had ever been away from her daughter more than a few hours. Charlotte, her three children, and Harriet's daughter Alice, had a fun day at a school fair to enjoy. But soon after arriving at the fair, Alice is missing and life changes forever for Charlotte and Harriet.

Charlotte is criticized for losing sight of a child that is not hers and even for using her phone to post on Facebook ar
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was one of those books that kept me guessing from start to finish and threw up some great curve-balls! It's every parent's worst nightmare, your child is gone, vanished, nowhere to be found. Imagine if you were taking care of your friend's child and it's YOU that loses sight of them. Horrendous right?

This complex character book shares with us the story of both characters. If you like flawed people where you are not sure if you are on their team or not, this is one for you. I loved the pace
Dannii Elle
For me, Summer is all about thrillers! When the skies are blue and the temperatures are rising this seems to be where I gravitate, and so I have been reading many titles from the genre. But when much of my reading deals with similar topics I do also find it easy to become disenchanted with the action-dominated scenes or immune to the high-stakes plot-lines. However, I can undoubtedly say that my most recent read, Heidi Perk's Now You See Her, had me HOOKED!

The events that play out inside this bo
Lou
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first novel from Heidi Perks and it was an easy one to relax into, exactly what I needed at the time. I've already downloaded "Beneath the Surface" to cure my insomnia this evening as I await another release from her in the not-so-distant future. There have been a lot of books with the same premise out recently - a child that goes missing and the ensuing chaos and impending doom that follows.

Charlotte is looking after her best friend Harriet's daughter Alice. She had taken Alice along
Luvtoread
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every Mom's Nightmare!

Charlotte and Harriet are moms and friends. Charlotte lives a comfortable life with three children and Harriet's life is not so comfortable and she only has one child named Alice and she never lets her little four year old out of her sight (never). There is a school fair that all the children are looking forward to but Harriet has a somewhere she must be on that day, so she asks Charlotte to take Alice to the fair, who is only happy to oblige though Harriet seems very nervo
 Li'l Owl
Now you see her. Now you don't....

I went over to the women who had taken my money and was now talking to another mum about the cake stall. "A little girl came on this with my children," I interrupted. "About ten minutes ago now, but there's no sign of her."
"Oh?" I doubted she'd notice which children were getting on and off. She'd barely lifted her head when I'd placed the coins in her outstretched hand. "Sorry, I don't know," she said. "What does she look like?"
"About this high."  My hand hover
Pauline
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Harriet leaves her four year old daughter Alice in the care of her friend Charlotte to attend a course in bookkeeping. While at the school fete with Charlotte and her three children, Alice goes missing.
This is a story full of twists and turns and it about secrets, lies and control. I enjoyed this book even though I found Charlotte and Harriet to be flawed and unlikeable.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House UK Cornerstone for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

Wendy
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Her One Mistake, by Heidi Perks, is a gripping read!
It's a story about every parent's worst nightmare: having your child disappear in the blink of an eye, while in the care of someone you trust.
As the story unfolds the reader delves deeper into the why and how such a horrific thing could happen.
I was pleasantly surprised with the author's unique and clever storyline, characters and surprise ending.

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada/Gallery Books for an arc of this novel in ex
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
All I'm going to say is WoW. You must read this one! You are not going to figure this one out. Parks is a new author to watch out for!
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
213d2dc8-abac-4044-8679-6f6732d78159._SR970,300_

4 Stars
Arc Book Review
Release Date-26/7/18

This was a new author for me and I found "Now You See Her" to be a great introduction to this particular writers work.
It was a fast-paced read; managing to keep me on my toes throughout.
Full of twists and turns this did a great job of retaining and investing my attention.
The story itself revolves around friends Harriet and Charlotte and the fallout that results when the unimaginable happens.
Charlotte at a school fete manages to lose Harriets daughter; on
Liz Barnsley
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced and very intriguing thriller about a missing child and the rift it creates between two close friends.

This is one of those bang through books you can't put down where everyone is hiding something, Heidi Perks writes with an instinctive knowledge of how to keep the reader enthralled and dissects her characters along the way until you see them clearly.

The resolution may be unexpected (although I've seen it before I've not seen it done in perhaps quite such a compelling way so I caught
Rachel Hall
Under the guise of a standard missing child scenario Now You See Her eventually gravitates to a central question of just what lengths a mother has the right to go to in order to protect her child and what constitutes forgivable behaviour between female friends. How far can a person ever expect to rely on, or ask of their friends and when does a person’s actions move from justifiable to inexcusable? Sadly, the resulting story proves neither compelling or believable and its conclusions are underwh ...more
Eva
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy bejeebus! How did I not read this book sooner?!

Charlotte takes her children and her friend Harriet’s daughter, Alice, to the school fete. But then Alice disappears. Despite intense search parties, there is no trace of her. How do you tell your friend you’ve lost her child? Their friendship unsurprisingly hits rock bottom. Harriet can never trust Charlotte again but now, two weeks after Alice’s disappearance, she has to. Because she and Charlotte are being questioned by the police …

And then!
Darinda
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harriet leaves her 4-year-old daughter Alice in the care of Charlotte, another mom and friend of Harriet. While at the school fair, Charlotte loses sight of Alice. When Harriet returns home, she discovers her daughter is missing.

Told with alternating points of view (Harriet and Charlotte) and alternating timelines (before and after). Harriet is reserved, anxious, and a bit overprotective. She has never left her daughter in anyone else’s care, and the first time she does, her daughter goes missin
Vote for July, August, and September Reads! 1 3 Jun 02, 2019 06:54AM
Suggestions for July, August, and September 1 4 May 25, 2019 03:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: no page numbers 2 12 Apr 13, 2019 05:10PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks - Starting Oct 20, 2018 12 52 Mar 18, 2019 08:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: HER ONE MISTAKE book cover 2 16 Aug 16, 2018 02:07PM

• Forget You Know Me
  • Never Have I Ever
  • My Lovely Wife
  • I'll Be Watching You
Heidi Perks was born in 1973. She lives by the sea in Bournemouth with her husband and two children.
Heidi graduated from Bournemouth University in 1997 with a BA (Hons) in Retail Management, and then enjoyed a career in Marketing before leaving in 2012 to focus on both bringing up her family and writing.
Heidi successfully applied for a place on the inaugural Curtis Brown Creative online Novel Writ
“One day I realized I wasn't living anymore, I was surviving, and I didn't want to do it any longer.” 1 likes
“twelve” 0 likes