Start by marking “Angel Thieves” as Want to Read:
Angel Thieves

Angel Thieves

An ocelot. A slave. An angel thief.

Multiple perspectives spanning across time are united through themes of freedom, hope, and faith.

Sixteen-year-old Cade Curtis is an angel thief. After his mother’s family rejected him for being born out of wedlock, he and his dad moved to the apartment above a local antique shop. The only payment the owner Mrs. Walker requests: marble an
Published March 12th 2019 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about Angel Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Thieves

Marilla
Jun 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
How interesting does this premise sound??!
Confusing, but intriguing.
Honestly, I'm here for the ocelot.
Ruthie Jones
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angel Thieves is a striking depiction of familial devotion, the harsh cry for freedom, and tender new love. In this beautiful novel, the Buffalo Bayou in the Houston area is the watery thread that connects the seemingly disparate narratives throughout. As the stories unfold, they begin to gently flow and intertwine, even though they are separated by time, culture, and indescribable heartache.

At the core is the modern story of young Cade and his father, Paul, and Cade’s classmate, Soleil Broussar
Carol Royce Owen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OK, I will say from the start. I loved Angel Thieves, but it would take a lot for Kathi Appelt to top her incredible masterpieces, The Underneath and True Blue Scouts of Sugarman Swamp. Those two novels will never be replaced as some of my favorite children's novels. Angel Thieves is written with much of the same style as those books, part realistic fiction, part fantasy, part historical fiction, woven through with several stories and a myriad of narrators. One is of two sixteen year olds with c ...more
Jackie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m not sure how I feel about this one.

“Angel Thieves” tells multiple stories that are all weaved together through the bayou and a pink angel figurine with one hand open and another closed just begging all those who see her to wonder what it is she’s hiding.

This book has multiple point of views and tells their stories in a patchwork style that doesn’t go in chronological order but rather jumps through time as all of these characters find themselves looking for something be it a home, safety, l
Sandy Brehl
Spoiler alert near the end of this post:

Kathi Appelt is a master when it comes to writing complex novels with intricately woven strands and voices. I'm admittedly reluctant to read books in which animal(s) are endangered by the foolish, or selfish, or mindless, or cruel behaviors of humans. Enough danger emerges naturally in the world of animals, so entwining a suffering animal's plight into an already high-intensity story often feels unnecessary, to me.
Spoiler here: Appelt has done this with se
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Appelt's first YA novel starts with a father and son who steal angels from cemeteries so they can be resold to the wealthy, but in true Appelt fashion, the story gets told from multiple perspectives including a slave in 1845, an ocelot, and the bayou itself. The chapters are very short, making it easy to slip back and forth between characters. Slowly tied all of the storylines together by the end, but not all of them have solid conclusions, much like life. The only thing that really makes this b ...more
Susan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Angel Thieves is Kathi Appelt’s first foray into young adult novels. It encompasses three interwoven stories told non-chronologically, a bayou that holds more secrets than a confessional, “Angel Hunters,” and the plight of ocelots being poached for their skins in Texas. Appelt wraps it all up in stylistic prose that reads like a great storyteller spinning tales with cold lemonade, on the porch, in mid-July. As you continue reading my review you’ll notice there is a lot to like in this book.

That’
Sasha
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my first time hearing about Kathi Appelt, so I didn't know what to expect. But after finishing the ARC, I can conclude that this is a story I would recommend to anyone who's wondering if they should read it. The story is told through many perspectives, though at times they felt a bit long or uninteresting, it aided in creating a great story overall.
Mary Librarian
There were a lot of threads and voices narrating the story. Unfortunately, it became hard to follow and not all of the threads felt like they were tied off by the end of the story. From advance reader copy.
Tracey
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 - I love Appelt's middle grade books, and this YA novel is no exception. I like the way we find out bits and pieces of characters--past and present, human and animal, and even the bayou has a voice--and slowly brings their stories together.
Liz Overberg
I read the ARC over the summer because I was assigned to review it for School Library Journal. I just re-read the published version because there were, according to the publisher, some significant changes. The only differences I really noticed were at the end of the novel. Things are left a little more open. Still a masterpiece, and a very quick read.
Carol
Jan 28, 2019
Tona-T
Nov 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Congratulations!!
Its a good bock, its very interesting.
Iany Mcgrawn
Nov 23, 2018
Rose Marie
Nov 27, 2018
Megan
Alissa
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
I've been waiting YEARS for another Kathi Appelt book.
Ashley F.
Jordan
Jun 12, 2018
Fiona
Jun 13, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Correction - Angel Thieves 2 16 Feb 01, 2019 12:34PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Cover - Angel Thieves 1 13 Jan 12, 2019 11:51PM
  • Earth to Charlie
  • Practically Ever After (Ever After, #3)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Muse
  • In Another Life
  • The Arrival of Someday
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Let Me Hear a Rhyme
  • #Murderfunding (MurderTrending, #2)
  • Malice
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • The Sound of Drowning
  • The Kingdom
  • The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate
  • The Great Unknowable End
  • Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
  • Technically, You Started It
  • Midnight Beauties (Grim Lovelies, #2)
Lives in College Station, TX with husband Ken and four adorable cats.

Two sons, both musicians.

Serves on the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults Program.