Start by marking “Lancelot and the King (The Knights of Camelot #1)” as Want to Read:
Lancelot and the King (The Knights of Camelot #1)

Lancelot and the King

(The Knights of Camelot #1)

A love long-held, the love of a knight for his king, a love which must be denied.

Lancelot is banished from Camelot in disgrace, not only has he lost his honour and country, but too late he realises he has lost his love.

When duty calls him to return, Lancelot doesn’t think twice and once more puts on his armour. If his king needs him and he is called to the sword, he knows

Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 221 pages
Published June 2nd 2018 by Mirador Publishing (first published June 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lancelot and the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lancelot and the King

Start your review of Lancelot and the King (The Knights of Camelot #1)
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Normally I am a fantasy purist. When I read high fantasy--especially high fantasy that likens itself to George R.R. Martin--there are certain things I expect. One of those is language. Fantasy characters are not supposed to sound like the guys down the street. High fantasy characters have a certain cadence, way of speaking that lets me know as a reader I've been transported into another place and time. The narration is more literary (sometimes). Having said that, Lancelot and the Wolf should hav ...more
Anita O'halloran
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the premise and went into this book optimistic for a lovely homoerotic twist on Arthurian legend, which is why I kept reading until about halfway. I don't want to say bad things about this book, as I think there is such great scope for queer romance within the fantasy genre, but it is not often that I can't finish reading a book that I begin. If it was only one thing, I could've stuck with it, but there were various reasons that made me stop reading.

Leaving aside the massacre of t
Tracey
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I did like this book, I was confused to begin with as Lancelot is with a woman and I had this down as m/m, this was more than either m/f or m/m. It was historical, magical, had fae in it spells, lust, love and a good story. I felt it was drawn out in parts and had to skip bits. It also didn't get interesting until 25% in and was considering throwing the towel in, but once magic spells and sex came into story it got interesting.

Characther development was well done especially with else and Lancelo
Coco.V
Feb 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (2/20/2020)! 🎁
Phaedra
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, nook
I am, for want of a better word, a fan of the Arthurian saga. I'm not a purist about it and I'm woefully stubborn about the characters I like and horribly set in my ways about the ones I don't like. I've never been a big fan of Lancelot. I really don't like Guinevere. I'm far more interested in Avalon than I probably should be. But, I have my soft spots for the saga as a whole and I love seeing what people do with it. This was free and Arthurian and I'm always curious to check out how other's de ...more
Lilith K
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
LenaLena
This book kept careening between 2.5 and 4 stars, so I settling for 3 in the middle, I guess. I liked the take on the Arthur story (we're talking the traditional Arthur story here, not the 'Merlin' BBC series). I liked Lancelot's tortured take on things, even if he caused his own problems with falling in love with at least 3 people and failing to keep his dick in his pants. I even started liking the female sidekick later in the book. I liked the action movie atmosphere with plenty of blood, pain ...more
Furio
I have mixed feelings about this novel, the first in a rather long series.

Some reviewers (especially on Am.) focus on its gay content hurling insults at the author for the gay twist she chooses to give to the Arthurian myth. While everyone is certainly entitled to his own opinions a simple reading of the editorial blurb would have prevented their delicate heterosexuality from being tarnished by this "sinful" work.

Let us concentrate on this work's REAL assets and issues:

- the author is a born st
HJ
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I really liked this book. But I'm afraid that I had to cut back a star for the terrible misuse of punctuation. It wasn't enough to completely take me out of the story, but if it hadn't been an issue, the story would have been SO much better.

I'm a huge Arthurian legend fan, so reading this was a pleasure. The fey/magical elements were pretty on form, and I loved the fact that it was told, 1st person, from Lancelot's POV.

The take on Arthur and Lancelot's relationship was brilliant, and again, sta
Joan
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was not really what I expected. Leaving aside the poor punctuation and the frequent changes in tense, the story itself is not uninteresting but it nearly became a DNF. (view spoiler) ...more
Nibedita
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get very far into this book, mostly because of the atrocious punctuation and fragmented, clumsy sentence structure. The premise seemed promising at first, and Luddington gets props for dealing with original, Arthurian raw material, as it were - but her handling of said raw material leaves much to be desired. Pro-tip: If you want to convey to your readers that your MC is bisexual, there are better ways to do it than have him a) have a sexual encounter with a whore ten pages into the book ...more
Line
Jan 02, 2019 marked it as probably-not-but-freebie
I think it's free on the zon.com right now: https://www.amazon.com/Lancelot-King-... ...more
Kristine (A Cozy Booknook)
This is a re-telling of King Arthur and Lancelot. This is an intriguing take on the story, it quickly drew me in and had me wanting to know what was going to happen next. I liked the characters and felt for them as they struggled with their feelings. There is something for everyone in this book from action, suspense, and love. I look forward to reading what happens next.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I am a life long fan of Arthur and his round table; of Camelot and her Knights; of Merlin and his magic so when I came across this book I was happy as I knew I'd enjoy it. What I didn't realise was how well written it was, what a twist it would be given and how delicately and sympathetically it would be done. This book is about the love that is felt between PEOPLE not between sexes and how people react and interact in any situation, as well as giving you an incredibly intriguing story that takes ...more
Tracey Sinclair
I SO wanted to like this book, especially after hearing that the author has been targeted by homophobes for reimagining Lancelot as bisexual, but I just couldn't get away with the writing. The ebook is also appallingly proofed: there are lots of mistaken uses of 'too' instead of 'to' and vice versa, and other mistakes. In the end I gave up, as the story wasn't gripping and I disliked the prose style.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Oct 22, 2013 marked it as not-an-offensive-name  ·  review of another edition
It's 'hanged', not 'hung'.
Viki /LostForReal/
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: magic, fantasy, historical
If you dislike woman presence in m/m romance, you might want to skip this one. But I should have known that in a story set in "medieval" times, Repress and Denial are fellow's daily bread.

And that's ignoring it does actually have no "decent" female characters. Like, I could be okay with how things were in some instances but the way things turned out at the start, in the middle and... well, at the end, there is no nice female character - there are only a few that are evil and wrong and bad - that
Jaimed
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from LesCourt Author Services. This is my honest opinion and review.

This is a different take on Arthur and the knights of the round table. Poor Lancelot has a lot to figure out when it comes to his emotions and the purple he is closest to. He broke his spirit when Arthur had to banish him and he hurt even more for the pain that Arthur was going through. He was decided by someone he thought he loved, but he hurt the one that he loved the most when his secrecy was reveale
Cassandra
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a little different that what I was expecting and while it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t amazing either. I love King Arthur and Lancelot folklore and stories that are derived from their history, so when I saw that there was an M/M novel inspired by them I got very excited. This one just didn’t come to life for me as much as I wanted it to, though.

We start the story with Lancelot banished from the kingdom for sleeping with Guinevere, but the when Arthur calls for him he returns with out hes
Jean-Michel Desire
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Lancelot, King Arthur and Camelot were the story of ultimate knighthood and devotion to a king or queen. I must admit that I started this book with a little apprehension based on what I had read on the author's website. I was so immediately captivated that I finished reading the book within three days. Wow! How totally unexpected and even more refreshing to see an unexplored and potentially very humanly realistic approach of what life could well have been like in those days. The author has certa ...more
R
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed, paranormal
Lancelot has been banished from Camelot for sleeping with Guinevere. Back badly scarred from being whipped, by Arthur, he is attempting to heal. He find a willing woman in a bar and enjoys his evening. Waking to sounds of a scuffle, he looks out and see a young boy soon to become two men's fun. He rescues Else and they barely make it out of the town. Constant danger dogs them till Else get them to a safe place.

The safe place turns into Lancelot’s hell. He must once again escape and return to Eng
Ken Cook
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A tale of Camelot

Written in the voice of Lancelot did Lac, set after his punishment for betraying King Arthur, the fey seek to capture the kingdom. The tale focuses on the removal of these influences and the relationship between the king and his champion. Well developed with great detail, this reader thoroughly enjoyed a different take on the mythology of Camelot.

As I am a gatherer of books, I collect books and ebooks from a variety of sources: Goodreads wins, Bookhub, BookFunnel, emails from au
Amy
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Different and Intriguing

A very different take on Lancelot and Arthur, and definitely in the paranormal vein. The author did a good job with the world building, and the book was filled with a lot of action and drama. It was a fast paced book, and only book one in a long series. Most of the first book sees Lancelot in a m/f relationship and that did catch me off guard. I would say it’s important for the world building and in setting up Arthur and Lancelot’s relationship. If you like historical no
Esther Alayeto
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A twist on the tale of Arthur & the Knights of the Round Table. Lancelot is very loyal to Arthur and will do everything in his power to protect him even though fate keeps throwing him curve balls! It's fight after fight until he eventually ends up where it all started, Camelot, where he was originally banished from for sleeping with Guinevere! Ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger which will continue in the next book of the series.
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Stella Gladden
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read...

I really enjoy reading book about knights and gladiators, especially in Lancelot and King Arthur time. There was a lot of suffering and deceit going on. A power struggle among the Feys to gain control over Camelot. The threats and damage they had to face to save each other. I'm really going to enjoy reading the other books in this series, it's going to be a exciting journey.
Leslie Sanchez
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A totally different tale of Camelot!

This is one fantastic read. Lancelot is injured and banished from Camelot. He is strong and honorable with a touch of humanity causing a lapse in judgement. He is on a journey to find himself and in the process save his King and Camelot. This is so exciting and at times heartbreaking. Do yourself a favor and read this book. I'm getting book two now!
Sheila Schwartz
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and barbaric

Wow what a story! Ms. Huffington took Camelot and rewrote its history and what a history of is! Poignant, heartbreaking yet heartwarming is Arthur's love for Camelot, Guinevere and Lancelot. Definitely a version that will wring tears, teeth gnashing and euphoria from the reader....so glad she has written a whole series!
sarah noelle christopher
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

I love anything to do with Arthurian legand! I really loved this story! Arthur and Lancelot were just to amazing! Their love is beautiful to read. I also really enjoyed Else and Geraint. They were amazing and I hope they are happy. Well worth the read! ❤️
DH
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just found this series

And I love it! I can't wait to start on the rest of the books. I enjoy the fantasy and the character development.....great read!
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
Trigger warning for non-con/dub-con.

Upfront: I've never read any of the King Arthur legends. I watched that one Sean Connery and Richard Gere movie and found it trite. I made a couple of half-hearted attempts to watch "Merlin" and lost interest. Not that these aren't my kind of stories. I love a good fantasy tale. But King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table just never called to me, for whatever reason. The only reason I got this book was because of all the one-star reviews gay-bashing it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Grayson's Mate (The Borough Boys #1)
  • Cabin Fever
  • The Redemption of River (Sex in Seattle, #4)
  • The Wulf Chronicles (WulfChron, #1)
  • The Night Wolf (The Wolves of Lydon, #1)
  • Embracing Winter (Lords of Discord, #4)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Waking Bel (Lords of Discord, #3)
  • Saving Rafe (Lords of Discord #2)
  • Alpha Awakened (Waking the Dragons #1)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • Melee Mage (Fledgling God #2)
  • Protected By The Werewolf (Werewolf Protectors 1)
  • Lightning Dragon Strikes Out
  • Shades of Sepia (The Sleepless City, #1)
  • The Storms of Arlow (The Kingdom of Dragons, #1)
  • Electric Candle (The Sleepless City #2)
Sarah Luddington is the author of historical gay romance and contemporary gay romance. She is a gay rights activist, holds three martial arts black belts, a degree in Medieval History and far too many dogs. She lives on a mountain in Spain and in her spare time writes and reads LGBTQ fiction.

Come and visit her website at www.romanticadventures.net or Facebook for more information. She always welc

The Knights of Camelot (10 books)
  • Lancelot and the Sword (The Knights Of Camelot, #2)
  • Lancelot and the Grail (The Knights Of Camelot, #3)
  • Lancelot's Challenge (The Knights Of Camelot #4)
  • Lancelot's Burden (The Knights of Camelot #5)
  • Lancelot's Curse (The Knights Of Camelot #6)
  • Betrayal Of Lancelot (The Knights Of Camelot #7)
  • Passion Of Lancelot (The Knights Of Camelot #8)
  • Revenge of Lancelot (The Knights Of Camelot #9)
  • Lancelot The Lost Years: The Spear (The Knights Of Camelot #10)