Start by marking “The Universal Laws of Marco” as Want to Read:
The Universal Laws of Marco

The Universal Laws of Marco

Told through the lens of a guy in love with the cosmos (and maybe two girls), The Universal Laws of Marco explores the complicated histories that bring us together and tear us apart.

In the summer before eighth grade, Marco Suarez kissed his best friend Sally Blake. This was his first spark.

And since then, whenever he’s thought about that moment, he’s traveled through a wor
Published March 19th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Universal Laws of Marco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Universal Laws of Marco

Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: ★★★★ 1/2

The Universal Laws Of Marco is probably one of the MOST underhyped YA Books I've read so far this year! Its a fantastic YA Contemporary (also Latinx YA) that focuses a lot on friendship, family, life and the decisions we make that change who we become!

The Universal Laws Of Marco is a character-driven and thought-provoking YA Contemporary! Told through past and present POV, we follow Marco Suarez whose life becomes a bit more complicated when his first love, Sally Blake
Marochka
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
7/10
Antoinette Trentham
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis:
Told in the past and future, senior Marco Suarez is torn between two girls. As Marco and his friends navigate the final days of high school, they reminisce about the past and plan for their futures. Marco’s first love returns and his family situation worsens causing him to rethink his carefully laid out plans.

Opinion:
I want to join this tribe, I mean family of friends! This was one of those books that I didn’t want to put down. I love it when I read a book that I thoroughly enjoy and
Jeannette
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, wishlist
Devon H
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Universal Laws of Marco struck me as yet another coming of age story about some High Schoolers, and I wasn't sure I was in the mood for it. However, not too far into the book, my opinion began to shift. Rodrigues gives us a dual perspective, but not from different characters, but rather from the Eighth Grade and Senior Year versions of Marco.

The entirety of this book is Marco processing his own trauma and choices and the trauma and choices of his friends. I love character development, so th
Tara Weiss
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes we forget how much is going on outside of a school day. And sometimes we forget that each of us is responsible for our own lives - as much as we try, we can't take responsibility for the actions of others. The nuances and life lessons that shape this story create an arc of storytelling that's mystical but grounded in the beauty of the everyday. There is so much hope, even in the presence of difficult choices that ripple around, twisting with the witty banter and contemplations of wormh ...more
Maureen
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone NEEDS to read this book, I'm not sure who my favorite character is because they're all amazing but Diego, Jade & Marco are my top picks. The way that the story unravels and the details that go into understanding & seeing the magic of each character is phenomenal. The use of multicultural characters & each coming from such different family lives made everything 10x better. The inclusion of so much science made it so much better & interesting. Thank you, Carmen Rodrigues f ...more
Alison Harney
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve enjoyed all of Rodrigues’s books and this is no exception. I found the time shifting from middle school to senior year compelling, showing us how this gang of friends change and grow. Marco is a lovable character, learning as we all must that sometimes you can’t make everyone else happy and make yourself happy all at the same time. Rodrigues takes us into a community in Miami and brings to life its ups and downs, hardships and strengths. Rodrigues knows how to tell a story and isn’t afraid ...more
Martina Urbanová
4,5*

Knihu som otvárala s tým, že absolútne netuším, čo by som mala očakávať. Ale bola som viac ako len milo prekvapená. Kniha bola ako pohladenie duše. Krásne napísaná s príjemnými postavami a zároveň skúmala témy akými sú rodina, priateľstvo a celkovo vzťahy.

Ďalší príklad YA knihy, ktorá dokáže rozpovedať zaujímavý príbeh, hovoriť o dôležitých témach a to všetko bez zbytočnej drámy všade naokolo. (A tiež je táto kniha ako stvorená pre fanúšikov Saénza.)
Allison
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I loved reading this simmering novel that examines what brings people together, and what we owe to those people. Carmen Rodrigues artfully cuts between scenes of middle school and high school, and each story builds to a satisfying and completely earned conclusion that kept me reading until the end.
Jesse Brown
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book!!!! I thought that the relationships between the characters were amazing and it took me to places that were completely relatable!! It was a very easy read and I didn’t want to put it down!!
Grace T
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5--good story, lovely cover, dealing with some very real issues and complex relationships, and no one said the f-bomb, but there was a deal of other language and some almost-sex. So.
Christine
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
This is such a wonderful book - super heartwarming and feel good, but also does a fantastic job of addressing tough issues such as abuse, depression, and living with a parent who's struggling with chronic illness/injury. There are a lot of great slice-of-life moments capturing teenage life and life in the Miami area, but also a really interesting, genuinely unpredictable plot and a lot of mystery that slowly builds as the book goes on.

The characters are also vibrant, hilarious (and diverse) and
Kelly
Priyanshu Bansal
Mar 25, 2019
Rachel Dial
Jul 03, 2019
Carmen Rodrigues lives and plays in the urban wilds of Virginia, where she is a writer by day and an educator by night.

She is the author of three young-adult novels: THE UNIVERSAL LAWS OF MARCO, 34 PIECES OF YOU, and NOT ANYTHING.

She earned her MFA in creative writing from the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

For more, visit her at www.carmenrodrigues.com.
Instagram: www.instagram.com/car