Start by marking “The Takeover Effect (The Singh Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Takeover Effect (The Singh Family, #1)

The Takeover Effect

(The Singh Family #1)

Hemdeep Singh knows exactly what he wants. With his intelligence and determination, he has what it takes to build his own legacy away from Bharat, Inc. and the empire his father created. But when his brother calls him home, Hem puts his dreams on hold once again to help save the company he walked away from. That’s when he encounters the devastating Mina Kohli in the Bharat ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Takeover Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Takeover Effect

Start your review of The Takeover Effect (The Singh Family, #1)
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Corporate/billionaire romances were basically done to death in the wake of Fifty Shades of Grey's popularity, and since most of them were equal parts superficial and terrible, I basically stopped reading them. Until I heard about THE TAKEOVER EFFECT, a romance between an Indian hero and heroine who are on opposing sides of a business acquisition. And then I was like, "I NEED IT."

Mina is a lawyer at a firm that used to be her mother's, bu
Hollis
If you strip away the romance, and left this story as a tense corporate espionage and family feud-y business takeover thriller, I think I would've loved THE TAKEOVER EFFECT. But the romance was very prominent and gross characters (who are supposed to be gross) were extra awful by toying with the heroine and threatening arranged marriages if she didn't comply with their shady nonsense. Which, I mean, I think I could've been okay with just that as a blackmail tactic when, again, paired with the te ...more
WhiskeyintheJar
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, series

Mina had seen her fair share of beautiful men, but the Singh brothers were in a whole different league. They were like the Punjabis her mother warned her about when she was a child. Their edges weren’t just rough, they were serrated. Built, with smooth dark skin and light brown eyes, their masculinity was barely restrained in custom-fit suits.
Especia
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Hem wanted to branch out on his own, to leave his father’s tech company behind for good, but when he gets a call that another company is attempting a takeover of everything his father has worked towards, he comes home to help. Meanwhile, Mina must take on the role of his legal counsel in hopes of appeasing her greedy uncle and boss. All she wants is to get the job done and become a partner, no distractions—but what can she do to say no to the beautiful Sikh man wooing her now?

There are a han
nick (the infinite limits of love)
I've been stalking The Takeover Effect pretty much it was announced. A romance novel about brown/desi people falling in love? Heck yeah, I was all over it. It's safe to say that I was hyped for The Takeover Effect and oh my goodness, did it deliver or what! It was fierce, sexy, and just one of the most romantic books I have ever read.

I really loved all the characters in this book and by the end, I was left eagerly awaiting some of the side characters' books. Our protagonist here is Mina. She's a
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I had high hopes for THE TAKEOVER EFFECT and my hopes were realised. I have really enjoyed previous desi contemporary romantic reads so I knew this was a book worth taking a chance on. THE TAKEOVER EFFECT was about equality in the workplace, legacy and it had an office setting with a whole spaghetti of problems because the mix of family and work is complicated.

Mina was a feminist to the core and I delighted in her character. This was a woman who knew herself, had drive and was a realistic beacon
Nisha Sharma
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hello lovely readers!

I know, rating my book 5 stars is sort of cheating, but hey, I'm biased and I'm owning it. I wanted to drop in and share some fun information about The Singh Trilogy.

The story was inspired by tons of shenanigans I was lucky enough to witness in law and tech. In the trilogy, three brothers work together to help save their father's company from a takeover attempt. Each story features a different brother, and a different type of love. The Takeover Effect is about love at firs
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free copy of [title] from [publisher] via Edelweiss. This has in no way influenced my voluntary review, which is honest and unbiased *The Takeover Effect was an excellent story on absolutely every level! A boardroom thriller / romance, it kept me riveted from start to finish.
Add in a very strong and intelligent female lawyer, and a strong-minded, honest oldest son in charge of his own company coming back to save the
Sahitya
What do you do when you are in a sort of reading slump and nothing looks interesting - I decided to pick up the latest romance by my favorite author, because Nisha Sharma totally delighted me in My So-Called Bollywood Life and I expected nothing less from this book. And I’m so glad it lived up to all the promise and hopefully, my slump is a thing of history.

I’m one of those readers who loves books with tropes, especially in romances because sometimes, the predictability can be comforting and jus
aarya
C- review: https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/r...

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
My Rating: 2.5/5 stars

I jumped at the chance when Nisha Sharma came into my email and asked if I wanted to review her first adult romance novel. I read one of Nisha's books before (My So-Called Bollywood Life) and enjoyed it enough to trust that Nisha can write a decent book. And The Takeover Effect hit the mark, met all my standards of a good romance, but it ultimately fizzled/sizzled for me. I was waiting for the heat, the intrigue, the build-up but it was an overall average book to me.

Now f
Jess
I mostly liked this! The biggest problem that I had was that it's intensely business focused (fine), but I have a very hard time believing in the business story and the ethical lapses on the parts of our two lawyer protagonists drove me a little batty. The hero was also maybe a bit more alpha than I would have preferred, because he bulldozes past stated boundaries of the heroine on more than one occasion, but it's not any worse than any other business executive hero I have ever read.

I will proba
Sophie
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I felt that for someone who hasn’t ever written adult romance, Nisha Sharma did an incredible job. I absolutely loved the Indian culture and the talks of all the food and the different sayings thrown into it. I did feel like the sex scenes were okay but not like incredible. I also felt that there were parts that were a little rushed and not fleshed out so much. But overall, I really did enjoy it and I cannot wait to read the next book in the series
Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

I absolutely adored My So-Called Bollywood Life when I read it last year so when I found out that Nisha Sharma was writing another book, specifically an adult romance, I was all aboard. When I found out the series would follow a wealthy Sikh Punjabi-American family, I WAS EVEN MORE EXCITED (which I didn’t know was possible but whatever.)

The Takeover Effect is a quick read. The pages just sort of fly by. That said, it did take me more than half the book to actually be invested i
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Corporate espionage, a close knit Indian-American family, one spicy romance, and two strong-willed leading characters?! The Takeover Effect was a page turner! I loved so much about this book! The Singh family relationships, Mina’s sauciness, Hem’s protectiveness, and the unwavering determination of his parents to see him married off! I loved Hem and Mina a lot! One minute they could be butting heads and taking flak from one another. The next, they’re oozing pheromones and combustible chemistry! ...more
Princessofbookaholics
I was provided an eARC by Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review

About: Hemdeep Singh, a legal attorney, left his family company Bharat Inc. and started his own firm. But when his father suffers a heart attack he comes back to father and brothers to help. Mina is an attorney who just wants a partner position in her mother's company which is now run by her two evil uncles. This is the story of what happens when these two people's lives collide.

Characters: I loved both Hem and Mina. Especially
Chachic
Originally posted as a bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvZQeR2HdPD/

The Takeover Effect by Nisha Sharma is a diverse contemporary romance featuring Indian-American characters. Hem and Mina have to work together on the due diligence of the potential takeover of one of his family's businesses. The book started off on a good note with banter between the two that I enjoyed. I liked Mina's strong character and how she can hold her own in the boardroom. I also enjoyed the Indian cultural refer
Aila
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release, awesome, arc
WHOAAA!!

Fast-paced plot + quick and charming romance + independent heroine + passionate hero + power family = Super fun and heart-warming read!

Review to come!
The_Book_Queen
3 1/2 STARS

Overall I really enjoyed this one and will happily be reading more from Sharma. There were some very cute moments between the couple, as well as some great sexual tension. The writing is good. I liked the brothers' relationship and banter. The sex scenes were fine; kinda hot, pretty quick, and perhaps a bit forgettable in the end, but that's okay.

A lot of the business talk went over my head, but I think that's more of a me problem, not a problem with the book itself.

The thing that t
Ruthie Taylor
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

I absolutely loved this story full of company espionage, dodgy dealings, family loyalties, and a scorching, chemistry laden romance. The best news of all is that it is the beginning of a new series, and I am already looking out for the second installment being released.

Whilst both Hem and Mina have grown up in the US and with hard working parents who have enabled them to have a comfortable and wealthy life, they are sti
Gaele
Set in the high-stakes world of business and family, Singh’s debut tackles position, tradition and attraction with equal flair, using our couple as they struggle and work to gain their own desires. Mina is a lawyer and wholly qualified to run the firm if it weren’t for the traditions of patriarchy and her uncle’s determination to make the firm his. Her own legal skills could bring her success in both the boardroom and her personal life – helping the newly returned son of the Bharat founder to ke ...more
Cyndi Becker
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her first contemporary romance novel The Takeover Effect, Nisha Sharma begins a series focused on the sons of Deepak Singh and their involvement in the company he created Bharat, Inc. We are introduced to the eldest son Hemdeep, or Hem, as he is called home in the face of a potential buy out that affects his fathers health. His return stateside also means that he is introduced to lawyer Mina Kohli with who he shares an instant attraction.

While this is a story that reads like a corporate espio
Maria Rose
The Takeover Effect by Nisha Sharma is an exciting and sexy romance and the first in her Singh Family trilogy about three brothers determined to make their marks on the business world with strong and passionate women at their sides.

Hemdeep Singh has had a falling out with his father and left his family’s business Bharat Inc. and its focus on software development to start his own law firm. But when his father has a heart attack after he hears about a takeover bid from a rival digital company, Hem
Taylor Ramirez
May 21st: I think the Sikh culture is SO interesting but I can’t find many books with a Sikh protagonist. I’m so excited for this!
Tova
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baby's first romance! (We don't count Adora because we all know that was trash). RTC!
Amanda D.

I never quite got my footing with this one as we're thrown into a tangled web of business and family relationships. I was utterly confused at what Bharat did and how exactly Mina's law firm was involved from the start.

However, I did love Mina. She's brash, tall, loves her heels, and has no problem putting people in their place. I was less enamored with Hem, as he often bordered on pushy. He didn't really come around for me until nearly the end of the book.

If you're after a slow burn, th
Hallie
Not only did Nisha Sharma write a super steamy romance but it also has a suspenseful plot. There's tons of corporate and boardroom drama that will keep you reading in between the romantic scenes. But it also won't matter if you're not sure what all the workplace jargon means. The story is easy to follow while still remaining intriguing! The plot also includes a lot of family drama surrounding Hem's departure from his father's company. Hem has gone on to make his own name in the corporate world b ...more
Alex (HEABookNerd)
May 28, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Series: The Singh Family #1
Rating: DNF @ 45%

My reasons to DNF The Takeover Effect are mostly on me as the reader; I just couldn't get engaged in the story. I've been going through a bit of slump lately and this might just be an unfortunate victim. Because of that, I've decided not to rate this title.

There were things I really liked in the story, especially the representation of Indian culture and how strong and outspoken Mina is, but overall, I just couldn't get into the story.

There were a few t
Keertana
May 13, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to love this and while I’m thrilled that there is finally more diversity and representation in the romance genre, I couldn’t warm up to this couple. There are too many story threads happening at once and the attraction/dialogue between the leads felt forced, at least to me.
Pragati Chaudhari
For full review - The Takeover Effect on The Inked In Book Blog

*ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. The thoughts are entirely my own and in no way biased.*

The Takeover Effect is a fast paced, intriguing, and sexy story that centers around our two protags – Hemdeep “Hem” Singh and Mina Kohli, in the background of corporate espionage, hostile takeovers and mergers, and corporate politics thrown in with a bunch of family issues and angst. It was an amazing read and I finishe
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Cowboy to Remember (Cowboys of California #1)
  • Guarding Temptation
  • The Devil of Downtown (Uptown Girls, #3)
  • Would I Lie to the Duke (Union of the Rakes, #2)
  • Like Lovers Do (Girls Trip, #2)
  • The Care and Feeding of Waspish Widows (Feminine Pursuits, #2)
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Temporary Wife Temptation (The Heirs of Hansol, #1)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • The Rakess (Society of Sirens, #1)
  • Naughty Brits
  • Lush Money (Filthy Rich #1)
  • 40-Love (There's Something About Marysburg, #2)
  • Sweet Talkin' Lover (Girls Trip, #1)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • The Rogue of Fifth Avenue (Uptown Girls, #1)
Nisha Sharma is the author of the YA novel My So-Called Bollywood Life, and the adult contemporary romance The Takeover Effect. Her writing has been praised in NPR, Cosmopolitan, Teen Vogue, Buzzfeed, Hypable and more. Nisha credits her father for her multiple graduate degrees, and her mother for her love of Shah Rukh Khan and Jane Austen. She lives in New Jersey with her Alaskan husband, her cat ...more

The Singh Family (3 books)
  • The Legal Affair (The Singh Family, #2)
  • Untitled (The Singh Family, #3)