Start by marking “The Bottleneck Rules: How to Get More Done (When Working Harder isn't Working)” as Want to Read:
The Bottleneck Rules: How to Get More Done (When Working Harder isn't Working)

The Bottleneck Rules: How to Get More Done (When Working Harder isn't Working)

Working hard, but still can't keep up?
This short, insightful book will teach you how to speed up at work, by slowing down, looking at your workplace slightly differently, then thinking a little.

** Spoiler Alert **

The world’s best manufacturers have known the secret for decades: every workplace, big or small, has one resource that is slower than the rest. It’s called
Published June 2nd 2018 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about The Bottleneck Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bottleneck Rules

Start your review of The Bottleneck Rules: How to Get More Done (When Working Harder isn't Working)
Martin
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old school deep Lean/Agile geeks will be tempted to brush over this. There’s no new concepts in it and really it’s just Goldratt’s 5 focusing steps boiled down with less than a handful of anecdotes to illustrate. You can read it over a single meal or short hop flight.

But that’s its genius. It’s JUST ENOUGH anecdote to strongly convey the ToC heart in an actionable way to its actual target audience: wildly over stretched business leaders with demand far over their capacity.

And deep dyed Lean
Rapeepat Ingkasit
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
สัน กระชับ เหมาะสำหรับผูบริหารระดับกลางมือใหมทียังไมคอยเขาใจแนวคิดเรืองปัญหาคอขวด

เลมนีถือวาทำไดดีเลย เพราะนอกจากจะมีตัวอยางทีเหนภาพชัดแลว เนือหายังคอนขางกระชับเหมาะสำหรับคนทีไมคอยมีเวลา สวนใครสนใจรายละเอียดกคอยไปหาอานเพิม เปนเลม 101 วาดวยการเพิมประสิทธิภาพของการทำงานในองคกร
Joe
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author provided me with a pre-publication copy to read, and I am glad he did. I've been struggling to find a way to provide colleagues and key management at my company with an effective introduction to the Theory of Constraints (TOC) and now I have it.

The Bottleneck Rules is a very easy and quick read (took me 2 sessions in 1 day) and presents the core concepts of TOC in an accessible fashion using humor and clear real-world examples.

There is lots more to learn about TOC, but this book
Bjoern Rochel
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A fairly quick read explaining basic Theory of Constraints concepts such as bottlenecks and the 5FS but in a much more accessible way using anecdotes from the non manufacturing world. If you haven’t read anything from Goldratt yet, you should give this one a shot.
Denis Vasilev
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denis by: Barbara Oakley
Shelves: recommended
Короткая и понятная книга по применению Теории ограничений в реальной работе, в том числе разработке ПО. Можно рекомендовать для ознакомления с темой интересующимся менеджерам
JM Lee
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome, quick, easy read with so much great value at the end of it! Concepts are written in a way that's easy to understand and back with real life examples to relate to.
Ezgi Çiçek
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read to identify a bottleneck and what to do about it. I was also able to solve the egg puzzle by myself :P
Chris Downey
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice short read with some interesting stories. I like the improvements with the language used in the 5 focussing steps, as the original Goldratt language always felt archaic. I’m going to pass my copy on to some people who haven’t read the goal before and will get lots of good insights
Victor
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-process
Great little book on identifying and removing bottlenecks. It's a good introduction into Eliyahu M. Goldratt's Theory of Constraints (TOC) and the 5 focusing steps. The goal of the book is to present the 5 focusing steps (rebranded as FOCCCUS in this book) so that anyone can understand them. I think the book achieves this goal through a handful of examples and anecdotes.
Jack Vinson
From my blog: https://www.jackvinson.com/blog/2018/...

Clarke Ching has created a new book to try to help people understand what is blocking their work (or life?). The Bottleneck Rules: How to Get More Done (When Working Harder isn't Working) is a quick read and got me thinking more about how I talk about this topic with people. [Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book. And I consider Clarke a friend.]

The book is intended to be a fast read to introduce people to the concept, share a number
Vitor
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Toni Tassani
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Very short book explaining Theory of Constraint from a very practical view, with a strong focus on knowledge work (software in particular), even though the content can be applied in all kind of scenarios.
Suggests the FOCCCUS formula as the way to overcome the bottlenecks, instead of the original 5 focusing steps described in the Goal: Find, Optimise, Coordinate, Collaborate, Curate, Upgrade, and Start again (strategically).
The author suggests that his book, being short, is more likely to be read
Cory
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short read and practical application of the Theory of Constraints. Love the real story's and examples Clarke gives and its true, once you start seeing flow problems, you really can see them everywhere. Honestly I wanted more. More examples, stories, and problems where this has been applied. Reading "The Goal" and his "Rocks rolling downhill" are very good, I really like seeing how other people have used these simple steps to solve real world problems.
Murray Robinson
Lean for Dummies. This is a short, simple and easy to read book that explains the basic elements of lean thinking for people who know nothing about it. In summary, your work is slow and wasteful because you have bottlenecks in your system. You can find bottlenecks by looking for queues of work piling up in front of a particular person or team. You can remove bottlenecks by increasing their capacity. If you improve things that are not a bottleneck it won't make any difference to the end result.
Miguel Manzano García
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech-read
Escrito en un lenguaje sencillo y explicado con casos supuestamente reales. Te deja en buena posición para mejorar procesos usando la identificación de cuellos de botella. También cuenta que a veces es más importante actuar sobre lo que rodea al cuello de botella que sobre el cuello de botella. Es rápido de leer. No sé si está en castellano. No lo he puesto en práctica así que no sé lo real que será.
Darius Daruvalla-riccio
Absolutely brilliant book.

There is nothing new in this, it's beauty is it's simplicity. I have read so many Theory of Constraints books that have been ...constrained.... by how much effort was needed to get through them. This book made it so simple and introduced so many ideas in a concise digestible manner.

For anyone that wants to learn about TOC, I would recommend this to be the first book they pick up.
Linda Mandin
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book – easy to read, easy to understand and therefore easy to apply. We are encouraging all members of our team to read this book to help them better understand how to apply Theory of Constraints within our workplace.

The author promised “To help every-day, ordinary people, find then manage their bottleneck quickly, no matter what industry they happen to work”….and I think this book achieves that.

BTW, I also highly recommend reading Rolling Rocks Downhill.
Bruno
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice collection of narratives around TOC and what can be done one you identify a bottleneck. Yet from my point of view, it's not going into the details enought: the FOCCCUS Model (Find, Optimize, Coordinate, Collaborate, Curate, Upgrade, Start-over) looked like being too "obvious" when I read it. While many things seem obvious in hindsight, I expected a bit more depth on the 3C's.
Ryan Dash
2.5 stars. I fall outside the target audience (office workers), but it was still a mildly interesting read. Everything made sense, and I can see it possibly being useful in the future. However, for such a short book, there was quite a bit of fluff, mostly in poor theoretical examples. It also could have benefitted from a concise summary.
Craig Nicol
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easily accessible introduction to theory of constraints, and finding out what's limiting your team's ability to do more, delivered as a set of example stories, so no jargon, just a relatable idea.

I still think Rolling Rocks Downhill is my go-to guide for large projects, but there's some stuff here for smaller projects, and other industries. Lots of great information packed into one short book.
Gustav Bertram
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great distillation of lessons from The Goal

This is a great little book that distills many of the lessons about bottlenecks from The Goal. It even clarifies and expands the steps around using a bottleneck effectively! I highly recommend it.
Marc
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gentle introduction to Theory of Constraints

I recommend reading this book before reading "The Goal." Like the author, I think Dr. Goldratt's use of the terms " exploit" and "elevate" can be confusing.
YUVARAJ DUBULE
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good and practical guidelines to implement TOC

This is relatively small book hence possible to read and implement some of the ideas in practice right away. Very good thought process, although obvious.
Some insight on addressing variations in processes would be even better.
Anton Nikolov
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice short case study on Bottlenecks and why it's important to manage them.
Frieda
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, and should be read by absolutely everyone who manages throughput of work. And fun and engaging to boot.
David Toon
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Really good, punchy and to the point. Really good how Clarke explains that the bottleneck needs to be in the correct place. This is something that is often missed.
Adrian Ciocălău
Nothing new, not worth spending money on it.
Horia
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, clear, compressed read about Theory of Constrains and bottlenecks.
Joao Cerdeira
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a book that my wife without knowing nothing about flow and bottlenecks could read and understand almost everything.
Martin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very concise, helpful book that you can read in a few hours. It gives some really good examples and helps you to look with fresh eyes at the processes that go on around us.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Turning the Flywheel: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
“When we know how to do something, it’s hard to remember what it was like not knowing how to do it, even if that was just a few minutes ago.” 0 likes