Start by marking “Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)

Lady Derring Takes a Lover

(The Palace of Rogues #1)

A mistress. A mountain of debt. A mysterious wreck of a building.

Delilah Swanpool, Countess of Derring, learns the hard way that her husband, "Dear Dull Derring," is a lot more interesting—and perfidious—dead than alive. It's a devil of an inheritance, but in the grand ruins of the one building Derring left her, are the seeds of her liberation. And she vows never again to
Published February 26th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Lady Derring Takes a Lover, please sign up.
Tuuli I believe it is King George IV, the former Prince Regent. The death of his daughter (I assume Princess Charlotte) is referenced in the text.

Start your review of Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
WhiskeyintheJar
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

No one, particularly not her late husband, had ever valued her for wits. Oh, but she possessed them.

Starting off the Palace of the Rogues series, Lady Derring Takes a Lover, is a magnificent return to historicals for Long. The first thirty percent of the book was perfection with our heroine Delilah being told by her solicitor that her late husband was in ma
Caz
4.5 stars/B+.

Confession time: I still haven’t managed to read all of Julie Anne Long’s Pennyroyal Green series.  I’ve read four or five of the books, and the rest are on my TBR Pile of Doom; I think the series started before I got into romance reading in a big way, and I just haven’t found the time to catch up yet (and this isn’t the only author/series/book that applies to!)

Fortunately for me, though, I get to be in on the ground floor of the author’s latest series, The Palace of Rogues ,
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
Solid 3.5 Stars

I love JAL’s books, the humor, her writing and dialogue is what usually makes it a hit read for me, but I just wasn’t as engaged with this story the way I wanted to be. It definitely has that first book in the series syndrome.

But with that said, I’m very excited for book 2!🙌🏽

________________________________________

OMG she's writing historicals again!!!!🙌🏽

description
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Lady Derring Takes a Lover
Series: The Palace of Rogues #1
Author: Julie Anne Long
Release date: February 26, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: historical romance

This is my first Julie Anne Long book! I know, I know. Where have I been? Thanks to my girl Astrid (once again) I've found another author to faithfully follow in the genre. I think this is going to be the year I fully get back into historical romance because I have been enjoying an amazing run in the past couple of months with them! Julie
Addie H
On Kindle sale today 21st Sept 2020 for USD 1.99

(Tropes: Widow, Riches to Rags, Opposites Attract, Class Difference, Unstarched (heroine)

description

Julie Ann Long is always a bit hit or miss for me – or rather super-hit or super-miss – so I started this a little sceptic. But it’s without a doubt in historicals JAL shines.

- “What brings you back to The Grand Palace on the Thames, Captain Hardy?”
His small, intimate smile removed the bones from her knees.
“So you do remember me, Lady Derring.”
She ignored
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Unfortunately, despite the gorgeous writing (see all the highlights I have!) I will have to give this book 3.5 starts rounded down to 3. Good writing doesn’t always win the day after all.

Now, Julie Anne Long is one of my very favorite if not THE favorite HR author’s, and I’ve been breathless with anticipation for her latest HR release. (I enjoyed her contemporary roms but not nearly as much. None of them would be 5 stars for me). So a 3.5 might also be related to the fact that I have higher stan
Jacob Proffitt
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, romance
This was an interesting story that mostly worked. I loved Delilah pretty much from the start. She finds herself penniless after her husband dies and I loved how determined she is and resourceful and courageous. I particularly liked her efforts to create a family from those willing to stick with her—including her husband's equally-destitute mistress. Seriously, the friendship between her and Angelique was outstanding and the secondary cast of mismatched characters was delightful.

The mystery at th
Mei
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Very nice!

I liked the idea of wife and her late husband's lover joining forces to survive in the men's world! Well done!

I liked also how little things were introduced to make lighter the otherwise difficult moment in both women's lives! Like the maid, Dot! Or like the rules they have for the guests of the boardinghouse!

The romance between Delilah and Tristan was credible and their banter was great! I just could see them!

What I didn't find particularely interesting was the mystery about cigar smu
Ursula
This was everything an HR should be: subtle, charming, moving, sensual and witty.

When Lady Delilah Derring is widowed, she discovers that she is not the only one who has been left penniless and alone, as she discovers her husband’s estate was ruined. His mistress is also in a similar position, and the two women have the misfortune (or so she believes it to be, initially) to meet at the solicitor’s office where he has unctuously just informed her of her impecunious state. Her shock at there even
OLT
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yay, she's back! Julie Anne Long took a break from historical romances after finishing up her Pennyroyal Green series in 2015 and ventured into contemporary romance, relatively successfully. But I prefer HRs and have always been fond of the way JAL writes romance. You can feel the chemistry between H and h and the attraction and relationship build rather slowly, the way I like it.

This is the start to a new HR series and began as a 5-star book for me. How can you not love a story that begins with
Blackjack
4.5 - A-

I did not realize how much I missed Julie Anne Long's historical romances until I read this first book in her new The Palace of Rogue series. While it's not my absolute favorite book from her, it is really good, just flat out fun to read, and offers a peek into what promises to be a fabulous series.

Delilah Derring has spent her young life raised to be a trophy wife to a rich man. Shuffled from her father's home to her new husband's home, she has absorbed the lessons young women are taugh
Jan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
3 to 3.5 stars. I was excited to read a new Julie Anne Long HR, and first in a new series too. But I was a little disappointed once I actually read it. Some magical something seemed to be missing from the book. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't wonderful for me, either.

The setup is decent. I felt for both Lady Derring and her offsider Mrs Breedlove at the start of the book. The Palace of Rogues is a good concept to build a book and a series on. I liked Captain Hardy, and I didn't mind that he's not
Beanbag Love
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually 3.5 but I'll round up for love of JAL.

This one had a similar feel to Long's "It Started with a Scandal" where the love interests low key dance around each other as the sexual/romantic tension builds. That book was incredibly successful in that effort and it's one of my favorites of the Pennyroyal Green series. The tension between those two leads crackles (what a 'historical romance' way to say it, but it's true) while the tension in this one felt repetitive and needlessly frustrating.

D
Lover of Romance
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Avon in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Lady Derring Takes A Lover is the first book in her latest series “Palace of Rogues” and I am so happy that Julie Anne Long is coming back to historical romance. She just does fabulous work in writing historical romance, especially since she does a decent job with the dialogue and setting up the r
Jultri
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
JAL's long awaited return to HR with book one of a brand new series. Did it thrill me? No, not quite but neither was I too disappointed. She spends time setting up the stage for her series and hence it was expected that the main characters and plotline in this book would be compromised somewhat.

The introductory chapters of this book were enjoyable as we meet two strong female characters in the heroine, the newly widowed Lady Delilah Derring, and her husband's mistress, Angelique Breedlove(!). F
Stacee
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

I’m always eager to find the start of a new series from a new to me author and this one didn’t disappoint.

I loved Delilah and Tristan. She’s so open and optimistic and he’s so gruff and realistic. Together they have excellent conversation and flirty banter and the best chemistry. I truly enjoyed reading them get to know each other. I’m also loving Angelique and hoping hoping hoping the next book is hers.

Plot wise it was a bit slow moving. There’s a good amount of things to build up an
Jessica
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
4. This book was relentlessly charming! The relationship between Lady Derring and Mrs. Breedlove is so satisfying, and I love how they take on the world together. I have no doubt 1800s England abounded with creative, scrappy women who managed to make their way in the face of literally every possible social obstacle. The romance with Captain Hardy was well done although it didn’t shine as brightly as some of the other connections, in spite of the S-E-X. Not my fave Julie Ann Long but even her B s ...more
kris
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via a Goodreads Giveaway.

Delilah Swanpoole, Countess of Derring, inherits a building upon her husband's demise. Teaming up with his equally destitute mistress, Angelique Breedlove, they decide to open a boarding house and forgo men entirely. Then Captain Tristan Hardy shows up to let a room because SMUGGLERS or something and his thighs make Delilah feel tingles in her thingles!!!

1. This was: (a) an interesting setup novel; (b) a poorly done mystery; (c) a GREAT friendship st
Sometime
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and I feel like I have *heart eyes*.

Delilah married the man her parents wanted, became the quiet, sweet, doting wife he wanted and pushed her real self down deep. Until her husband died heavily in debt and leaves her penniless. She realizes that she doesn't even recognize herself.
The husband, the land, the manners, the clothes, the vases and rugs, the friends, the horses, the barouche, the jewels, her favorite chair by the solarium window. How odd that they formed t
HR-ML
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Regency.

Tristan was orphaned at age 8 in seedy St. Giles & worked
his way up to become a Royal Navy Captain. He now served
as blockade commander, charged with catching smugglers.
He had no room for sentiment or tender feelings. Delilah's
late spouse, an earl, left her in debt. Del & the earl's mistress
Angelique, pooled their funds to open a building (near the
docks) left to Del, which they transformed into a boarding
house.

Series: The Palace of Rogues #1
Publication Date: 2/26/19
Number of Pages: 384

***3.5 Stars ***
It has been a long time since I’ve read a book by this author and it is nice to see her in the historical romance category again. I really, really, really wanted to absolutely love this book and from the blurb, I was sure that I would. I liked it pretty well but didn’t absolutely love it. I absolutely adore a great romance with a great mystery, but these seemed to both fall a bit short.

Delilah Swanpool, C
Teresa (Reads_Romance)
I am trying to find the right words to express why this book delighted me so much. LADY DERRING TAKES A LOVER took me by surprise because, honestly, I was dazzled, and that doesn’t happen to me very often anymore, especially with the start of a new series. This was my first book by Julie Anne Long and I can’t believe I slept on her stories for so long!

From page one I was wholly invested in Delilah (Lady Derring) and her personal journey. I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, because it
Keri
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love JAL's contemporaries, she really shines in this genre....so welcome back and I can't wait for the next in the series, I haz a sad that it isn't already out. I do want to say that I am glad that you and yours survived the Cali wildfires, even though you lost everything I can tell that you aren't letting it slow you down. Completely awesome read!
Angie
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I found my way to Julie Anne Long's writing in a bit of a piecemeal fashion. Her long-running Pennyroyal Green series is widely beloved and records the various and sundry escapades of the always-scheming, never repentant Eversea and Redmond families. Really, the series is worth the price of admission for the hilarious (and ever-evolving) "Ballad of Colin Eversea" alone (though Colin's is not actually my favorite book). But I've come to believe that this swee
Jen Davis
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read a historical romance from Julie Anne Long since the conclusion of her Pennyroyal Green series. And I’d almost forgotten just how much I enjoy her books. Though this story didn’t have the laugh out loud moments I associated with the other series, the romance was just as good and the black moment/reconciliation hit me right in the feels.

The book follows the title character, Lady Derring (Delilah), in the immediate aftermath of her husband’s death. The man left her penniless—and with
Ali
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh man, have I missed JAL. So much HR lately has read a little juvenile, and here strolls Delilah and Angelique, a fantastic, complex and grown-up friendship, and then as a bonus, we get a hero like Captain Hardy: flawed but a good man, aware of but not crippled by his background, which is so often the case with this general character premise. And sharp-witted. And also dreamy. Did anyone else get Daniel Craig-era Bond vibes from Tristan? I pretty much read all of his lines in my head in Craig’s ...more
Lady Wesley
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
It’s great to have JAL back in HR Land. She does Romance so very well that I forgive the occasional History flubs. Delilah and Tristan’s romance was lots of fun; the mystery that brings them together was mildly interesting, and the possibilities for adding to this series are endless. Pennyroyal Green lasted ten years, so perhaps Palace of Rogues will have a similarly long run.

Justine Eyre is a competent narrator but not my favorite. Her main weakness is performing male voices, but overall I enj
Desi
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fanciful and supremely unrealistic in All aspects. But fun for all that. A charmingly dutiful lead male of few words and a bordering on naive female breaking out of her shell.

Class and status were glossed over, behavior and business ventures were completely period inappropriate, but the emotions and tension of the book were on point and made these easy to overlook.
Susan (susayq ~)
I had forgotten how much I enjoy Julie Anne Long's writing. She crafts a story that enthrall and entertains and makes you laugh, as well as shed a tear.

I loved Tristan, Delilah, and Angelique. I even loved Dot. Watching Tristan and Delilah fall in love made me swoon. It was fantastic.

I can not wait to see what happens in the next book for Angelique. She deserves some happiness :)
herdys
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded the rating to four stars cause I missed Julie Anne Long and I really enjoyed watching the OTP fall for each other. I liked both characters individually and together. Plus the side characters which where hilarious. I found myself grinning like an idiot while reading it on my way to work on the train :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)
  • About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • Heiress Gone Wild (Dear Lady Truelove, #4)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • The Rogue of Fifth Avenue (Uptown Girls, #1)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • It's Getting Scot in Here (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #1)
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast (Sins for All Seasons, #6)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more

The Palace of Rogues (3 books)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • I'm Only Wicked with You (The Palace of Rogues, #3)

News & Interviews

“Rough language, drinking, spitting, or smoking will not be tolerated in the drawing room when ladies are present, and will be fined one pence per word. We've a jar, you see."

"A jar." He said this with every evidence of fascination.

"But we also have a withdrawing room for gentlemen, in which they can unleash their baser impulses in case the effort of restraint becomes too much to bear."

Lady Derring was very dry.

"What a relief to hear. Tethering instincts wears a devil out."

He was rewarded with a smile, one of delightful, slow, crooked affairs, as if she just couldn't help herself, and he, for a moment, could not have formed words for admiring it.”
1 likes
“They regarded each other somberly, making internal adjustments to accommodate the mere glorious fact of each other.” 0 likes