Start by marking “The Clockwork Menagerie” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Menagerie

The Clockwork Menagerie

Autosmith Clement Dyer wants to create his life-like, mechanical animals in peace. He's tired of being badgered about selling his business to his long-time rival and former lover, Duke Goodwin. He also craves appreciation for his living works of art.

Unfortunately, not all of Clement's clients see his clockwork creations the way he does, and a prominent but dissatisfied cu
Kindle Edition
Published June 2nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Menagerie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clockwork Menagerie

Ami
First of all, I LOVED the world that Cooper created -- in terms of the automaton animals. I thought it was unique, and I imagined I would be very happy having one myself. A lovely pet with all the animal traits but no need to eat or defecate (haha). Perfect for a single woman who work outside of home for more than 12 hours like me!

Unfortunately, I also thought it didn't reach its potential. The relationship between Clement and Duke happened off page, even before the first chapter. So I missed th
Len Evans Jr
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This sweet and fascinating short was a deight to read. It is the first thing I have read by the author and now I seriously need to squeeze more of him into my schedule! The author skillfully crammed a heck of a lot of story and characters into a small amount of space and left me seriously wanting so much more! Can't to get my hands on more of him!
Meep
This story is bright with potential, unfortunately it's limited by the length. It's an easy read with some interesting features but I never quite felt there was enough there. Steampunk offers so many imaginative innovations and while the mechanical cat sounds absolutely darling (I've just had to oust my cat from the bath then deal with the 'spare cat' molt remaining) I'd have liked a better picture of the world. The society. Some more quirks.

Side characters added flare in the glimpse we had of t
Wart Hill
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, lgbtq
ahhhh too cute :D
Ann
I love, love, love a well written steampunk story, the language and visuals are so engaging and the subtle fantastical elements make for a fun escape. The Clockwork Menagerie delivered all of that in spades. The author managed to pack a lot of story and character development into 39 pages without the story becoming too “busy” which is where a lot of steampunk can go sideways for me. I like when less is more because quality words don’t need an excess of fluffy accessories. That’s why The Clockwor ...more
Serena Yates
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, steampunk, read-2016
One of the most fun and entertaining Steampunk stories I have read recently, this is a charming tale about a man who wants nothing more than to design interesting little (or not so little) mechanical creatures. Business is tough due to demanding customers, multiple competitors are eager to put him out of business, and he never seems to be able to find enough time to come up with ”the next big thing”. Set in an alternate London of the nineteenth century, this is a world where aristocrats still ru ...more
Gaele
A character-driven short steampunk read, perfect for that quick bite of escapism. Elliot Cooper brings us Clement, a master craftsman who creates clockwork animals – he’s a bit reclusive and obsessed, certainly imaginative and carries a small chip on his shoulder about the difficulty he has in being recognized for his work. He’s truly a struggling artist, not as focused on the business end of his work as he should be.

Duke is a former lover and a man well-heeled and capable of helping Clement su
Lucy
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
>: Clement Dyer is a master craftsman, making his mechanical animals by hand, perfect and precise. The problem is it takes time to create the way he does and he’s really not business headed. He’s creative. Add in worry about competition from someone he’s slept with, and his latest problem with a returned pet is eating him up inside.
The competition, in the form of Duke Goodwin, is practically stalking Clement. Trying to get a leg up on what he’s doing? Seems so. When that returned pet, a cat,
Christina's Bookshelf
I absolutely adored everything about The Clockwork Menagerie. Once the cover was revealed it immediately went on my TBR. I even told Elliot Cooper that the story better live up to the very imaginiative cover. It really, truly did. Surpassed in my opinion.

The Clockwork Menagerie is a story about a gentleman named Clement who creates and builds animal automatons. They are realistic in their looks and mannerisms. Ms. Ophelia the cat was a splendid little character who brought much needed comedic r
Mel
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sff
Oh what a lovely and great short story! This was surprisingly good and I can’t wait to read more books by the author.

In only 38 pages Elliot Cooper manages to create a complex and interesting steampunk setting and Clement, our protagonist, whom we quickly care for. He is a well fleshed-out character with some endearing character treats.

But we do not only get one great character; even the secondary and minor ones stand out and come alive on the page.

A huge focus of the story is on Clement’s work
Josephine
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, favorites, mm-romance, mm
Misty

** 3.75 Stars **

I'm a fan of the Steampunk genre and automatons, having said that I found this story sweet, more than interesting and very creative but definitely too short to be completely satisfying, at least for me!

LOVE the cover!
Susan
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, z-2016, mm-read
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my review.

Steampunk is one of my favourite genres and I am always on the look-out for new stories and new authors. The Clockwork Menagerie is both of those for me and I was excited to read it. I did wonder how much world-building and story development could be included in only 39 pages but the answer turned out to be quite a surprising amount actually.
I felt sympathy for Clement right from the first page. He is a man with morals and ideals whi
L.E.
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-read
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wonderful read, although too short! I was a bit worried that I wouldn't like this book because I'm not into steampunk, but once I got to reading, I absolutely fell in love with Clement. Not to mention that I loved the tension between him and Duke, and I thought that what Duke did for Clement was really sweet. I wouldn't mind having such a menagerie, myself.

I was also impressed that the author managed convey such a fascinating s
Gillian Kevern
I received a free copy of The Clockwork Menagerie in order to prepare for an interview with the author. You can read the interview here, and I hope you do--I get into a lot of what I enjoyed about the story with Elliot, and I really, really enjoyed the story.

The Clockwork Menagerie was lovely from start to finish. It felt like a warm cup of tea, the perfect antidote to a bad day. The characters were charming, and I was genuinely caught up in their story almost immediately. The conflict felt nat
Tikeren
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-fiction
I've never read a steampunk novel before, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Victorian world with automated animals and wanted to know more about it. But I most enjoyed the main character with unexpectedly relatable life, problems, and flaws. I found myself feeling his stresses and his joys. Very worthwhile read and sweet feel-good story.
Kelly
Totally disarming and sweet story set in a world I'd like to visit again.
Molly Lolly
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four stars!
This was a fun short story. I enjoyed Clement and Duke. They were a bit of an unlikely pair but it was so sweet when they came together. I really liked Clement’s clock work creations. They came to line in the story. Duke’s surprise at the end was so not what I expected. But it wound up being perfect for both of them. It’s a quick read that I hope has a sequel at some point. I want to see more of these characters and delve a little bit more into the world
Anne Crow
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, novella, steampunk
Enjoyed this so much, can't wait to read more by this author. The ending was a little quick and it was disconcertingly chaste (mostly b/c I've read very steamy stuff by him), but overall I really enjoyed this.
Betsy
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well balanced for a short story. I would love to see longer works in this world, and I'll read more by this author.
Robin
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was a beautifully imagined and perfectly written novella. The characters were rich and multi-dimensional and I fell in love with the main character's creations. I enjoyed this immensely!
Ana
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. It was a little unexpected to me, because it’s not what I would usually read, but I give it a try, and glad I did because it was great.

Clement is an autosmith, he’s good creating mechanical animals but his business is facing bad times. He needs to deal, not only with that, but also with the mischievous behavior of his rival Duke.

The world created by the author was so beautiful. A perfect mixed between the technologies used to build of the animals and the, sort of histo
Hart
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely short work, with very appealing characters and a clever steampunk-flavored plot.

Clement is an autosmith, a maker of mechanical creatures; he runs his own business, even though his real talent is in making artistic creations. There are a lot of details about how he makes his automatons. As with Elliot Cooper's book Junk Mage, the setting is not incidental. Everything in this story flows from who Clement is, as well as his goals and skills, and he and his profession really come a
ItsAboutTheBook
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

This was an intriguing steam punk short story. The world building was vivid. The characters well well fleshed out and extremely likable. A compelling love story. I enjoyed this. I was a little sad when it was over. I’d love to read more from this couple or world in the future.

Clement likes to work alone while building his mechanical animals. He’s resisted offers to merge with the larger shops that mass manufacture because he takes pride his work and h
Natalie
Shelves: arc-read, m-m
This was a very intriguing story. I've never read something set in what seems to be a steampunk setting. I also liked the idea of lifelike animals made of metal and gears. It was well crafted, well edited and the characterizations were very good, especially for a rather short story. That's quite difficult to pull off. Even the secondary characters had a good framework. The relationship aspect was also conveyed well, when the interaction of Clement and Duke was confined to the latter pages. I'd b ...more
KC
2.5 I liked the steampunk elements of this short story, but there were a couple of things that bothered me, the most important being that I didn't like the MCs (view spoiler) ...more
Alison
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, sff, my-e-things, lgbtq
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed this. It's a gentle and lighthearted romance novella about a charming craftsman with a struggling business who finds love. Clement designs and builds life-like mechanical animals and, while he is a brilliant artist and engineer, he's not a very good businessperson. I enjoyed all the detail and the secondary characters are wonderful, as are the animals themselves. This is a lovely little steampunk story that's nicely written and a little bit delightful.
Miranda
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet

This is a quick read but a feel good story. There's a misunderstanding that occurred before the story started and it's caused more misunderstandings. However, they do communicate in the end. I would have liked to see more of Clement and Duke. Since so much of what occurred between them happened before this story started, it made their relationship seem a little rushed. However, it was sweet and I really want a mechanical cat now.
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Steampunk fans will find The Clockwork Menagerie a fun, fast read that ticks along like 'clockwork' in the time-honored tradition of a happy ending. http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Elayne
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bought-books
I have a new love in my reading and that is Steampunk. I really enjoyed this one, wished it could have been longer, or that there will be more from this authors world.
« previous 1 3 next »
Elliot Cooper is all about happy endings and positive queer rep in genre fiction - specifically subgenres of romance and erotica. His stories range from sweet to scorching hot, light to dark, humorous to serious, and everything in between. He loves to experiment with genre mash-ups and old favorite tropes, turning some on their heads, meeting others head-on.