Start by marking “Four Dead Queens” as Want to Read:
Four Dead Queens

Four Dead Queens

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  7,643 ratings  ·  1,765 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Keralie Corrington may seem harmless, but in fact, she's one of Quadara's most skilled thieves and a liar. Varin, on the other hand, is an honest, upstanding citizen of Quadara's most enlightened region, Eonia. Varin runs afoul of Keralie when she steals a package from him, putting his life in danger. When Varin attempts to retrieve the package, he and ...more
Published February 26th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Four Dead Queens, please sign up.
Astrid Scholte Yes! The story of Four Dead Queens is completed by the end of the book.
Astrid Scholte Yes! There are a few couples in the book. :)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,466 books — 3,829 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
859 books — 2,757 voters

More lists with this book...

·  7,643 ratings  ·  1,765 reviews

Start your review of Four Dead Queens
Emily May
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, young-adult, arc
Four Dead Queens was being given away when I attended the Penguin talk at Comic-Con back in July 2018. Before this, I knew nothing about it, but I was immediately drawn in by the promise of a murder mystery in a fantasy setting. I'm a sucker for murder mysteries in general, and adding this to a fantasy world seemed like a recipe for excellence.

It didn't really work for me, though. Part of the problem might be that this book - a standalone, it seems - tries to do too many things and stretches
MischaS_
I am very pleasantly surprised here! For a debut? It is pretty damn good!

And also the fabulous buddy-read with Mary helped me to enjoy this book even more!

description

- This was me while reading all the time! Since we were reading only 5 or 6 chapters per day (okay except for the last but one when we read 12 but WE NEEDED ANSWERS!)

- Mary had to suffer through numerous of my conspiracy theories and since I had so much time to think about those theories. Some of them were crazily correct! I have to say; my
C.G. Drews
i won't be reviewing this one in full, but I feel uncomfortable if i don't speak frankly about two harmful things:

(1) this book buries its queers unapologetically
(2) it has a society built on eugenics and this isn't called out or indicated to be a despicable crime (in fact it's warmly stated at the end that, since one of the characters has a genetic disability, that they're "doing their best" to fix "genetic flaws" after birth as well. Maybe it'd be great to have a world with no terminal genetic
jessica
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
some of the best characters are those who blend the line between right and wrong, those whose ambiguous actions lead to even more conflicting intentions, and i am loving how these morally grey characters are finally getting the attention they deserve. keralie is a shining example of this.

i love her character development in this story. its so strong, makes sense, and is done in a very satisfying way. her storyline alternates with glimpses into the lives of each of the queens and i thought this
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Thank you Netgalley for the sneak peak - the first five chapters of this book.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book but I couldn't put it down. The world building and characters were interesting and the intrigue is now killing me... I need to know how the rest goes!

Will pick up the book when it comes out at the end of the month!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
March Owlcrate Unboxing. Click on link below the pic to see the Goodies

THE GOODIES
Mary S. R.
4.25 STARS! such an impressive and gripping book for a debut. A new author I'm looking forward to read more from :)

“Dream bigger,” he’d said. “Want more. Don’t ask. Take it.”

I won't deny that I was anticipating reading this, but I was not expecting it to be so spectacular! My head was spinning trying to find that assassin. WOW. A fun buddy read with the girl with crazy theories, aka Mischa :)

There's been a huge criticism pointed at this book which is—I'm sorry but it really is—bullshit. I have
Nick
Mar 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
I think I will go broke this year
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, arc, sneak-peek
****I received an advance review copy (sneak peek in this case) for free in exchange for an honest review, and I am leaving this honest review voluntarily.

I completely missed that this is only a sneak peek! I reached a WTF moment and wanted to know what next and there is nothing! I really, really need the rest of this book.

I wanted to read this book since when I found about this book in September. However, I already voiced my concerns that this book with its title and maybe even cover may
FL
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-release
Wow. Read this in pretty much one sitting - I just had to know what would happen next. Quadara is such a rich world and the mystery kept me on the edge of my seat (along with the wonderful characters)!
Brittany
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-read
*3.5

The world building in this book was phenomenal! From the intricate world, the politics, and the seedy underbelly - it was all really fleshed out. And though the mystery kept me interested throughout the book, i feel like the plot twists are where it fell flat for me. I debated between and 4 and a 3.5 for a while, but seeing how this was a mystery at its core and I guessed almost every plot twist before it happened I felt like I had to give it a 3.5.

That’s not to say it wasn’t enjoyable!
Sep 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
Very curious about this one! Cannot wait for it. However, at first glance, I thought it was a book by Kendare Blake from the Three Dark Crowns series. Because of the cover and the title. Hopefully, that will be the only resemblance. But I will surely read this one.
Astrid Scholte
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books, fantasy, ya
Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I updated here, but I had to let you know of the awesome new cover for the US paperback of Four Dead Queens!

description

This edition includes an exclusive short story from Queen Iris's POV when she first meets Queen Corra. It also includes some artwork by me. I wrote this short story as a thank you to everyone who has asked for more of the queens and the world of Quadara. I hope you enjoy it!

Pre-order
It's available for pre-order at your favorite bookstore and will be
Kerri
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
official comments to come!
Candace Robinson
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was all kinds of soap opera fantasy fun! I'll start out by saying lots of twists and turns. Sometimes, I was lost. Sometimes, I was like, what's going on here? And sometimes, I was very thrilled where the book was heading!

Of course the title is what automatically drew me in because, come on, not one, but four, dead queens! I really liked the main character, Keralie. She could be ruthless, selfish, but also have a heart, and she had great character growth. Varin was my own pocketful of
Sana
Four Dead Queens definitely has an interesting storyline, but sadly, the first half of this book (253 pages) were so mediocre. Shit got really good after that and then I was definitely interested!

Tbh, I’m disappointed and a little shook by what happened. The ending seemed rushed (view spoiler)
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Well... I finished it. Really intriguing concept, I can actually see this play out really well as a tv series. But the execution was a bit flat.

Follow me on Facebook Blog Instagram Twitter
julianna ➹
I've got to say— for the first 25% of this book, I was really just not feeling it. Everything felt dull to me, it read like one of those classic fantasies, and something just didn't *click* for me the way that I wanted it to. I found Keralie frustrating, the plot unordinary, and the worldbuilding mostly mediocre. I was finding problems with the writing and it was just hard for me to get into.

But damn, y'all, the last 50% of the book deserves ten stars on its own. I mean, the plot took such a
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Allen and Unwin for review.

I don’t actually know where to begin writing this review. I can’t believe I’m still having to write a review like this in 2019. I will start off with this statement:

Authors, publishing: STOP BURYING YOUR GAYS.

I do not care if it’s ignorance or naivete or whatever the fuck reason there is that you have buried the gays in your book – you need to stop. Someone needs to start catching this and stopping this. We can’t keep having books
Cesar
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

Four Dead Queens is a decent fantasy debut. With a premise of four queens being killed and two people caught in the midst of a conspiracy, it sounds very promising.

But in the end, I wasn't impressed. It started out good but the more I read, the more flaws I started to discover. And with those flaws, my enjoyment went down. I will say that Four Dead Queen isn't a bad novel. It has potential, but that potential is, unfortunately, squandered down by issues.

Four Dead Queens is a
Sh3lly
Buddy read with You Are Never too Old to Young Adult.

This was sort of an impromptu read. This is a debut novel, and perhaps one of the best debuts I have ever read. It's edited well, and the plotting and pacing is great, in my view.

It's about four different kingdoms which make up a country that doesn't exist in our world. One queen rules each and they provide different things for each other. One kingdom has fertile soil and grows food. One is in a cold and icy region and they focus on
 Amelia
And this, ladies and gentleman, is what every fantasy should be like. I can't remember the last time I read such a quality standalone fantasy novel - EVERYTHING was on point.

First of all, the concept of four murders - four dead queens is so interesting. Like how does one kill the 4 most guarded people in the country? Why? How did no one catch them? I had SO MANY QUESTIONS. And the queens themselves were AMAZING.

Every queen was such a complex character - they had emotions, layers, feelings but
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Official comments: "A cinematic thrill ride brimming with murder, mayhem, and twists that will shock you, Four Dead Queens is sure to be your next book obsession. Absolutely riveting."

Unofficial Comments: I JUST REALLY LOVED IT, OKAY? Please read it. For me. Do it!
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

This book tells the story of a girl who steals a package only to discover that the contents contain the vivid details of a conspiracy to kill the four ruling queens of the nation. Now she must find the culprit before the public finds out the queens are dead, all while on the run from an employer. I loved the blend of fantasy and murder mystery present in the novel. This book is quite fast-paced because of this, and I found it difficult to put down. The ending was
Trina (Between Chapters)
I had been intimidated by this book, expecting it to be a dense fantasy that would take a while for me to get into. Instead, it hooked me right away. And while it's fantasy adjacent with the set up of kingdoms, royalty, and court intrigue, it's more of a sci-fi society. The plot revolves around technology in the wrong hands. I really, really enjoyed this book.

tw: POVs of dying (including drowning and fire in detail)
Elise (On The Bookshelves)
Had the privilege of receiving an ARC from Allen & Unwin to review for my website, The Nerd Daily. Review still to come, buuuuuuut this ended up taking me by surprise. I thought I had it all figured out, which is partly why I started to lose interest, and then about halfway there's two plot twists and you just don't know what to think anymore...
Katie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, bookcon-2018, lgbtq
When I first picked up this book, the title and summary caught my eye. I don't usually read murder mysteries, but the plot sounded interesting. Unfortunately, the book didn't live up to my expectations.

I had a lot of issues with this book though I don't want to go into too much detail because it hasn't been published yet. My biggest gripe was the plot. I'm a plot over characters person, so even if I don't like the characters (I didn't), I can still enjoy a book if the plot is interesting. The
Alaina
UGH, I was expecting some major twist at the end but got an ehh kind of ending.

Four Dead Queens was an okay book. It was interesting to see a thief become a Queen. Then it was equally intriguing to see that the Queens weren't exactly happy either - which one would assume that they would be. Yet, the daily life of living by strict rules doesn't really sound appealing.

In it, you will meet Keralie, Iris, Corra, Stessa, and Marguerite. One is a thief and the other four are the queens of the four
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Rating ~2.5?

Well, this was a mixed bag of something.

*Review to Come*
Tatiana
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club, 2019, ya, fantasy
This is another book club pick which is simply not my kind of book. Unlike many other picks though, Four Dead Queens managed to keep my attention well enough for me to finish it. So 2 stars for that.

This book is ok, it is fine, it has nothing in it that interests or stirs me, it was written for readers who like all the YA tropes and don't need to be challenged in any way. I didn't hate any aspect of Four Dead Queens except maybe its world building which is essentially a smorgasbord of nonsense.
Bookish First Rea...: Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte 2 2 Oct 23, 2019 04:57AM
Drop Everything A...: Four Dead Queens 1 9 Aug 01, 2019 07:19AM

• Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
Raised on a diet of Spielberg, Lucas and Disney, Astrid knew she wanted to be surrounded by all things fantastical from a young age. She’s spent the last 10 years working in film, animation and television as both an artist and manager. Career highlights include working on James Cameron's AVATAR, Steven Spielberg's THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN and HAPPY FEET 2 by George Miller. She lives in Melbourne, ...more
“Sometimes failure is the beginning of success” 15 likes