Start by marking “The Watcher of the Night Sky” as Want to Read:

The Wishing Shelf Book Awards Finalist, 2018
2019 TopShelf Indie Book Awards Nominee
Winner of the IHIBRP five-star recommended read award
The Author Show 2019 Top Female Author Nominee
The Secret Library Recommended Read

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. IT MIGHT GET YOU CURSED.

One wish on the stars.
A group of unusual suitors.
A quest to end a curse.

Abigail Crumble lives a qui
New Cover Edition
Published by Random Square Publishing (first published December 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Watcher of the Night Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Watcher of the Night Sky

Start your review of The Watcher of the Night Sky
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed by Yuli on www.whisperingstories.com Awarded 2.5 stars

The Watcher of the Night Sky isn’t your typical YA novel and that’s what attracted me to it. It is weird, it is magical(-ish) and it reminds me of Shrek. However, my opinion is a conflicted one.

The book begins with a clichè – a plain, ordinary girl who is liked by nobody and who has a beauty of a bestie. Abigail (Abi) makes a wish to the stars before her 16th birthday and voilà! Seven boys of different social statuses appear at
T. Renee
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anr
Okay, so I had to 'phone' a friend on this one. While I do read some YA, I'm more of a classics kind of girl so I needed an assist on what YA actually encompassed (Thanks Bentley!)

Moving right along... The story was really good only I don't think I'd classify it as YA, it rang more middle grade to me, which isn't bad but classification does make a difference to the reader especially if their in the frame of mind where they're expecting a typical YA story and they don't get it then they wont/can'
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!

*a copy was provided by NetGalley*

Mhmm.. An interesting take on 'when you wish upon a star' and all the chaos that can happen. The beginning starts off kinda weird and slow... took me a while to get into...

The basic plot of this book is actually really interesting; great concept! It’s a love story—overwhelming love—and dark magic, family secrets, and of course teenage angst.

The Watcher of the Night Sky is definitely not your average YA/romance. I actually enjoyed it very m
Λίνα Θωμάρεη
Sorry but apparently this book wasn't for me... ...more
Rissa
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, netgalley
The watcher of the night sky 2.5⭐️

I really liked the school aspect and that abigail didnt care for boys it was a new for a protagonist but then that one boy came and ruined everything.
It had potential but also it has been done so many times. You ha e a sort of magical element that you see in twilight meaning she wasn’t attracted to anyone until someone magical comes. Also focuses around the school because having kids go to school is good for bullies, drama and love.
Had potential. If you havent
Samantha James
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very cute and well written! I loved it because it had the essence every fairy-tale should with its own unique spin on all the things we love. The characters were amazing! I would love to read more from this author! She reminds me of Mercedes Lackey!
LaNona
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

Review will be on my blog: https://bookswithnoel.blogspot.com/
Michelle
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Watcher of the Night Sky
Wow! It was even better than I thought it would be! To the favorites list it goes!

A most excellent mixture of drama, love, fantasy, and adventure. Abigail, being a plain looking girl that no one wants to pay any attention to, gets suddenly upset when her best friend gets all the attention from boys all over. She makes a seemingly harmless wish upon the stars for someone to love her. Little did she kn
Erin Gossman
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-love
Emily Ross
Thank you to the publishers for providing an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

DNF at 16%.

I know this book is a YA novel, but it just felt really juvenile. There were so many characters that felt flat that they all started merging into one, and I found myself really bored.
Jackie
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning starts off kinda weird, but it started to get a groove going, & suddenly I couldn’t put the book down, & even though it has a horrible extreme cliff-hanger ending, I was so engrossed a bought book 2. I would suggest readers give it a bit, not to give up right away, as the story does improve.

The plot is unique, a play on be careful what you wish for. The heroine, Abigail is unique, I was intrigued by her not being so typical of heroines. I think the supporting characters all add a u
Valicity Elaine
The basic plot of this book is actually really interesting. It’s a story of love—overwhelming love—and dark magic, family secrets, and of course teenage angst. Abigail Crumble doesn’t like romance. She’s boyish from head to toe, even her personality is closer to a male’s than a young female’s.

I thought Abigail was a good character, especially the play on her name; Crumble. That alludes to a lot more than readers think, you’ll find out when you pick up a copy of the story.

Fifteen years without
R.M. Anderson
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and could not put it down. The fact that the main character is not the typical heroine is refreshing. The realm Pudsey creates is highly imaginative and beautiful, drawing the reader in. There is a bit of a shock at the end, but nothing is perfect, even in a fairy tale world. I highly recommend this book to others.
Rachel Pudsey
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Reviewed by Janelle Fila for Readers' Favorite

The Watcher of the Night Sky: Part One (The Aronia Series Book 1) by Rachel Pudsey is a young adult fantasy that tackles the adage 'be careful what you wish for.' Abigail is fifteen and doesn't want to deal with love. At least, that's what she tells her best friend who is obsessed with boys and talks about love every chance she gets. On her sixteenth birthday, Abigail uncharacteristically wishes on the stars for love and attention. But when her wish
Ruth B
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Rating: 3.5 stars

Sometimes you get more than you wished for. This is what happened to Abigail, tired of the boys mistreating her she wishes love upon the stars but she gets more than she was waiting for. What begins as a simple wish unveils family secrets, magical creatures, and dark curses.

Abigail is a sweet character, she sounds like an innocent teenager but with a strong personality. The rest of the characters are all great, some funnier than others. I like the mystery behind one of them, de
Rebekah
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
5/5 stars!! This was such a hilarious yet incredible high fantasy story, and I loved it! Full review coming soon!
J.B. Richards
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The strange and unusual events surrounding Abigail Crumble’s 16th birthday will alter the course of history and change her life forever.

The author presents a fine group of main characters in “The Watcher of the Night Sky”. Her protagonists are richly developed and present well—With Abigail as the unassuming heroine, Olivia as her loyal sidekick, and Clay as the handsome but marred mysterious stranger. Although Pudsey’s secondary cast of princes and admirers, who are bound by Abigail’s spell, is—
Blaire Hammond
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE WATCHER OF THE NIGHT SKY BY RACHEL PUDSEY SPOILER FREE REVIEW.

*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review*

This book was a different and out there one! I've seen some reviews compare it to Shrek and I actually kind of agree! It has those vibes about it, thats for sure! It was strange, yet exciting. It was fun and magical yet different from other YA books I've read. While it does start out as your typical YA story, it definitely takes quite the turn!

The writing was
Crystal Mayfield
First off I need to say that I have already bought the second book of this series on eBook so I could just continue reading on.

The Watcher of the Night Sky what can I say other than it is really a good story. I sat with the funniest smile on my face through the whole book. I loved the writing style of Rachel Pudsey, in this book. And I have to say as mad as I was at the ending it was a good ending. But of course, the minute I was done with this book I went to Amazon and got the second on eBook s
Natasha
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Warning: This is definitely a cliff hanger. The second book "Faelti" is out and ready to buy. I found "The Watcher of the Night Sky" such a good read that I went and bought the second book. I haven't spent money on a book in a long time, but this book was so good and I wanted to know what happened next so bad, that I bought it. At the outset I thought Pudsey's book was going to be cheesy cute. The concept of a girl wishing on stars and ending up with a bunch of unwanted suitors sounded kind of s ...more
Kathy
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
☆°☆°ARC provided by author☆°☆

well, I just love a good fantasy by a new author I have never heard of.
The watcher is book 1 in the series. It was different than what I normally would read but I enjoyed it. I felt that the author did a good job at describing each character and place.

I give this book 4 stars
Country Gals Book Blog
E.J. Hill
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: clean-reads, fantasy
First off, the lovely cover... Very appealing and I'll admit, part of the reason I requested it from NetGalley.
The first chapter gripped me with its flowery fingers. I loved Pudsey’s voice and the world she created. Honestly, I was super excited. This book had a unique magical feel to it. Unfortunately, though, things took a little dip downwards. When all the men showed up as a result of Abigail’s wish... I was vividly reminded of the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. I mean there was even a Ganda
Shay
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whimsical

I love this, it is funny and cute. Yet also has very serious moments that grip you. The end is a major cliffhanger. I loved the characters! It is very character driven and done well at that. The world is very creative and imaginative.
Lisa
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The scenes are well written with vivid details that capture the imagination and
bring the story to life while the well-orchestrated events draw the reader in and
ensure that there is never a dull moment.
Maria Vermisoglou
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
What a great world building!
The story follows Abigail, a human different from any other. It is believed that no one should wish on the stars or something terrible will happen but it is just a tale, right?
When young Abigail wishes upon the stars, something unbelievable happens and things turn upside down.

It was a great read with much action and magic and unpredictable situations. Also, I liked how the author takes the recent problem of bullying and throws it in the imaginary world.
I recommend i
Helgaleena Healingline
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellently written high fantasy with a lot of action and humor interspersed. I enjoyed it very much until the 'cliffhanger' ending.

It is also suitable for young adults.

Be prepared to invest in the next volume.
Helgaleena Healingline
It is also suitable for young adults.

Be prepared to invest in the next volume.
Kate
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! I literally finished it within a day!

In this fairy-tale adventure, Abigail is a plain and very relatable teenager, who is picked on by her peers for being studious and "ugly". Her best friend, Olivia, however, is beautiful and receives the attention of many boys in their quaint village where marriage is on the mind after one reaches sixteen. On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, Abigail makes a wish upon a star that brings seven suitors to her door, all vastly dif
Donna
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nothing like wishing on the stars and getting more than you bargained for. That's what happened to Abigail. She winds up with seen suitors. The story line is very well written and the characters well developed. Rachel's writing style pulls you into the story and keeps your interest to the last page. However it does end in a cliffhanger. I am eager to read the next book in the Aronia series. ...more
Lauren the Book Slayer
The Watcher of the Night Sky was a hidden gem that I found on Netgalley. Without Netgalley, I don’t think I’d have ever found it, which would have been unfortunate, because it’s one of the best books I’ve read this year.

When I first found The Watcher of the Night Sky, I wasn’t looking for a serious book. The description sounded a tad fluffy - which was okay - because that’s what I was looking for at the time. This book took me by complete surprise. It wasn’t fluffy at all! It was clever, and ha
« previous 1 3 next »
YA Addicted Book ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Meet our Author: Rachael Pudsey 6 14 Dec 07, 2018 05:42PM
YA Addicted Book ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. NOVEMBER SOTM~The Watcher of the Night Sky 5 12 Nov 13, 2018 05:56AM
YA Addicted Book ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book Discussion 1 11 Nov 06, 2018 08:26AM

• Magical Midlife Love (Leveling Up, #4)
  • Wings of Fury (Wings of Fury, #1)
  • Scorpio's Grace: Book One in the Scorpio's Grace Saga
  • Midlife Fairy Hunter (Forty Proof, #2)
  • Spellbound After Midnight (Ever Dark, Ever Deadly #1)
  • How to Claim an Undead Soul (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #2)
  • How to Break an Undead Heart (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #3)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Fianna's Rising (Warriors of Myth and Legend #3)
  • Witchnapped in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau, #1)
  • On Twilight's Wings
  • How to Dance an Undead Waltz (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #4)
  • Rose (The Sisters' Secrets #1)
  • Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)
  • Song of Destiny (The Sirens Call #1)
  • Dark Things Between the Shadow and the Soul: Fractured Fairy Tales from Indian Mythology
  • Almanac of World History
  • Circus of the Dead Book #3
See top shelves…
International Bestselling Author Rachel Pudsey was born and raised in Scotland. A graduate of psychology, she now resides in South Korea teaching English to adults in Seoul. She is the author of The Aronia Series, a light, clean, adventurous YA fantasy-romance series that follows a girl through a journey into realising one must be careful what they wish for.

The Watcher of the Night Sky, book one