Start by marking “Late for Dinner (Senior Sleuths, #1)” as Want to Read:
Late for Dinner (Senior Sleuths, #1)

Late for Dinner

(The Way Over the Hill Gang #1)

Marcy Collins proved her investigative skills in the field time and time again, but after an accident leaves her disabled, she’s forced into early retirement in a senior convalescent center. Although her mind and body may not be what they used to be, her steadfast determination to fight crime and advocate for victims continues.

When her well-meaning former partner is assi
Published July 6th 2018 by Sleeping Dragon Press

To ask other readers questions about Late for Dinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late for Dinner

Start your review of Late for Dinner (Senior Sleuths, #1)
Bonnie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun concept! Story set in a Senior Convalescent Center, where Marcy Collins, due to an accident is temporarily located. Though in a wheelchair, & Before her former partner knows it she’s assembled a crew of senior sleuths to assist her in solving a cold case! The unconventional ways they assemble clues & follow leads is a delightfully entertaining story. My Thanks to the author for furnishing me with this book to read......
John Presler
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marcy Collins is a former police officer who is at the convalescent center, following an accident which left her confined to a wheel chair. To keep her mind active, Marcy asks her former partner, Lance, to allow her to investigate some of the old cold cases. Marcy gathers a group of the seniors at the center to form a team.

Gus and Jake are long time residents of the area and know their way around. Lola was a showgirl in Las Vegas and is very astute in reading people. Herman, who enjoyed helping
6thstreetbookclub
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a fun book! “Late for Dinner” by M.K. Scott is a wonderful story of senior sleuths, living in an assisted living home, solving a cold case. I could easily picture my mom’s assisted living residence and some of her friends, sneaking out and meeting secretively to solve a ‘whodunit.’

I enjoyed this book so much, that I immediately purchased two more books by the married duo. If you are needing some laughs in your life, this is the book for you!
Bev
Shelves: have-read, own-it
Marcy Collins is in a retirement home due to an accident that left her unable to perform her job. Her partner, Lance, is assigned to help keep her mind working. Unknowning to him, what he does is he sets the wheels of motion together for Marcy and a group of sharp-eyed, witty, and often cantankerous senior sleuths together. They take on an old cold case that was determined as a suicide. Will this group of hodge podge senior citizens solve a 22 year old murder? Can they find the killer without be ...more
Sandee
Nov 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ereader
A group of seniors and a convalescing detective set out to solve a cold case murder. The premise and the characters are fun and the mystery is simple but interesting. The characters have fun engaging with each other and searching for clues. However, the story moves very slowly and the clues don't really come together well. The ending is interesting and leaves us believing the group will continue to try solving cold cases. I liked the characters a lot but I hope that future books have a stronger ...more
Jane Reads (Jane in SC)
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 ⭐s! I truly delighted in this one. LATE FOR DINNER is not only the first book in the Senior Sleuths series by M.K. Scott, it is a spin-off from another series by Scott. Four characters in LATE FOR DINNER — Herman, Gus, Jake, and Eunice — make their print debut in the fantastic Painted Lady Inn Mysteries. Because I enjoyed them a great deal in Scott's first series, I was excited to find them featured in LATE FOR DINNER.

[A little backstory: The Painted Lady Inn Mysteries are about a North Ca
Evonne Hutton
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is easy to discount people in an old age home as being "over the hill" and incapable of even brushing their own teeth!
This story line has such a group investigating a murder!
An enviable cast of characters and an interesting story line
Madam
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Herman, the former handy man of the Painted Lady Inn, now lives in an assisted living facility, where he misses his old life in Legacy and wonders about his worth in the world. Then Marcy Collins, a younger resident recovering from a traumatic car crash during a police chase, gathers him and few other spunky residents to help her solve cold cases passed on by her former partner, Lance, since no one in the department has time to reopen them. Lola, the retired Vegas showgirl, and war veterans Jake ...more
Ellen White
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
LATE FOR DINNER M K Scott
An absolutely delightful story, the wisdom of what they had learned on the job, and thru the years. For Marcy being a cop and walking a beat. Lola as a showgirl learned how to sum people up. They all had talent and decided to do something, one the dog food they were given to eat. A cold case to solve, to keep their minds sharp. This was funny, entertaining, and could see more about these senior sleuths. Given ARC for my voluntary review and my honest opinion.
Lelia Taylor
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
Senior sleuths always amuse me, most likely because I’m a senior myself and would like to think my brain would still be lively if I end up in an assisted living facility 😉 Solving crimes would be right up my alley and much more fun than playing bingo or doing arts and crafts. I mean, think about it—surely years of reading mysteries would pay off then, right?

Late for Dinner introduces a few elements to the senior sleuth concept that are a little different from what I’m accustomed to seeing. The l
Barbara Hackel
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Senior Centers aren't the ideal living place that brochures make them out to be. In fact it has been discovered that many brochures are full of stock photos and misrepresented fact about the living center. In this case not only was all that true, but there was more going on that displeased everyone having to do with the deteriorated quality of food being served. But for a small group living in the center, there was a deep seated resentment of the general treatment of them and the fact that for a ...more
Sharon
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. Marcy, who had been a detective on the police dept. and was hurt while working is convalescing at the Senior Center. Her old partner has decided to giver her a cold case to work on. She needs to have something to do that will help to get the fog out of her brain due to the head injury. She has recruited a few of the senior citzens to help her solve it. She chooses her bridge partners. Herman who has his own car and can come and go as he pleases and had helped solve crimes in ...more
Bobbi
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Retirement facilities are filled with daily activities and can be boring. Good thing these seniors are not interested in the planned. Instead, they solve cold cases, well one anyway with plenty more to come in the upcoming books. This is the first book in this series and it is truly a fun and interesting reading experience. Love the characters and how they navigate life at the facility. As a spinoff of the Painted Lady Inn series, Herman and cronies now have their own senior sleuth series. You w ...more
Bernadette Cinkoske
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun mystery. This story serves as a reminder that older people still have great skills. This is the first book in a new series. A disabled police officer is re-cooperating in a seniors' convalescent center. To help keep her mind sharp will her body recovers, the officer's partner brings her cold case files.Soon Marcy, the officer, has recruited several seniors to help her solve the case. This is an interesting premise. The characters are well done and the plot is well crafted. For me it w ...more
Carol
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good start to a new spin off, with new characters and Herman from the Painted Lady inn. I enjoyed the fact that these sleuths were old enough to know better but certainly young in heart enough not to care. Between the lot of them was a wealth of knowledge to draw from and yet they were well able to get up to some high jinks, especially Eunice who was prepared to take on anyone - it was almost a pity that she was not part of the gang! Nice easy reading with a good dose of humour. I received thi ...more
Janet Graham
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seniors Solving Cold Cases, Cozy Mysteries
What a fun story! I can't to read more episodes! The plot is very tight and leaves no room to take a breath. The characters are great. I love the witty banter and great humor.
I received this ARC book for free and voluntarily chose to post my honest review.
Sandy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this fun cozy mystery starring senior citizens. I hope I have this much fun if I ever live in a retirement home! Great start to a new series; looking forward to more. I was given this book free and chose to make a voluntary, unbiased review.
Carol
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great characters! Laugh-out-loud-funny! Loved it! 5 stars!
Paula
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally a hit! Lovely characters! Good story! The Senior Sleuths were so fun to follow! Read this as an ARC. What fun!
Krystyna
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Weak ending but the rest was great

A really good read until the ending. After all the hype it just felt weak and unconvincing. The characters however are delightful from our approaching middle age police officer (in a wheelchair after a getting involved with a desperate criminal) to the inquisitive, snoopy, gossipy senior who everyone avoids. Loved their quirks and short comings whilst the banter was likely and at times amusing.
Being stuck in the retirement centre whilst she recuperate has her g
Reads A-Lot
Apr 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
For Lola, retirement stunk. There was nothing to do, especially since her favorite crime show was replaced by some teen drama.

My god, this reads old and slow. How many geezers were there?

A mission to solve a cold case. Really, this was just to give them something to do. I thought this would be a good series to get into, but the whole thing kind of puts you to sleep. If I couldn’t get through the first book, there’s no way I can get through the series.

Not worth it.
Darlene Riggs
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great story to start off a fun series.

Whether referring to this entertaining and energetic group of retired folks as ‘The Way Over the Hill Gang’ or ‘Senior Sleuth Service’ doesn’t really matter, does it? They get the job done. I fell in love with each and every member of the group. They are simply amazing! I want to be just like them when I get to be their age.

This was a clean, fun, and easy read. A wonderful whodunit that I read in one evening. Kudos to the authors!
Judith  Wong
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Senior fun and antics!

When an unlikely group of seniors join ranks to help injured police officer, Marcy, investigate a cold case, all kinds of situations crop up to complicate solving this unsolved crime. But seniors rule and not only solve the crime, but plan a dance and a garden too!
Barbara Tobey
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cold case for some mental and physical exercise. The elderly and infirm may have been 'put out to pasture,' but they are still actively pursuing justice. They also have a problem with the food being prepared for them in the senior center. It was fun to follow along with them on their adventures. I won a copy from the author. ...more
Pam
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the beginning slow, but there was enough going on that I wanted to give it more of a chance so I kept going. Almost half way in, it really picks up, but I found the ending lacking.
I gave it three stars (liked it) rather than two stars (it was ok) because I really enjoyed the second half, before the ending.
Yvonne Meyer
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting concept.

So many people feel life has passed them by in nursing facilities. It was fun watching these seniors getting involved in life again to solve cold criminal cases!
Ann
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
SPOILED for me by the author's abuse of Almighty GOD's Name. This is blasphemy and is NEVER acceptable. Minus 1 *
That said, the story was otherwise well crafted.
I'm looking forward to reading future stories - without Blasphemy, please
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun read

This was a fun cozy read. Fun concept, loved the different characters. Will look into the second book of the series.
Dolly
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amusing story

Not too serious fun following senior citizens on their escapades. Not everyone is content with checkers and chair yoga. The series shows definite promise.
stephanie huntington
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining, looking forward to more

• Fair Trade (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery #3)
  • Beaches, Bungalows, and Burglaries (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #1)
  • Gooseberry Christmas (Cottage on Gooseberry Bay)
  • Late for Square Dancing: Senior Sleuths Cozy Mystery (The Way Over The Hill Gang Book 4)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Turkey in the Trap Room (The Inn at Holiday Bay, # 12)
  • Dog-Gone Cruise Director (Cruise Ship Mysteries, #20)
  • Conflict in Little Leaf Creek (Little Leaf Creek #3)
  • Realtor Rub Out (Lily Sprayberry Realtor #6)
  • A Canary in the Canal (Georgie Shaw #8)
  • Apple Orchard Cozy Mystery Series: Box Set Two (Apple Orchard Cozy #4-6)
  • Signed, Sealed and Dead (Lily Sprayberry Realtor #3)
  • Bidding War Break In (Lily Sprayberry Realtor #4)
  • The Lily Sprayberry Realtor Cozy Mystery Series Books 1 - 3
  • Disarray Series Box Set: Clean Romantic Suspense Trilogy
  • Berried Alive (Apple Orchard Cozy #4)
  • A Stoneybrook Mystery Collection: A Cozy Mystery Box Set Books 1-3
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
M. K. Scott is the husband and wife writing team behind The Painted Lady Inn Mysteries, The Talking Dog Detective Agency, which is set In Indianapolis, and The Way Over the Hill Gang series.

Morgan K Wyatt is the general wordsmith, while her husband, Scott, is the grammar hammer and physics specialist. He uses his engineering skills to explain how fast a body falls when pushed over a cliff and va

The Way Over the Hill Gang (5 books)
  • Late for Bingo (The Way Over The Hill Gang Book 2)
  • Late For Shuffleboard (The Way Over the Hill Gang Book 3)
  • Late for Love (The Way Over the Hill Gang Book 5)