Start by marking “The Dilemma” as Want to Read:
The Dilemma

The Dilemma

It’s Livia’s fortieth birthday and tonight she’s having a party, a party she’s been planning for a long time. The only person missing will be her daughter, Marnie.

But Livia has a secret, a secret she’s been keeping from Adam, her husband, until the party is over. Because how can she tell him that although she loves Marnie, she’s glad their daughter won’t be there to
Expected publication: January 23rd 2020 by HQ (first published December 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Dilemma, please sign up.

Start your review of The Dilemma
megs_bookrack
Mar 05, 2019 is currently reading it
YAAAS, St. Martin's Press!!! YAAAS!!

ARC received, my wait is over and I could not be happier!!!

Blessed! Thank you so much!!!

Earlier:

Actual footage of me awaiting this book release:

Original:

It's gettin' real now!
So excited for this!!
Kaceey
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m in a quandary…no, a full-fledged dilemma on how to review this one!

The entire read takes place over the course of just one evening.
Told from alternating POV of Adam and Livia. A misguided couple so desperate to please each other yet so dismally confused on how to accomplish it.

A birthday party like no other!

Livia has saved up for years to throw herself the bash of the century for her 40th birthday! And no one’s stopping this epic event! No matter what craziness might be happening around
sue
I found this book hard to put down.
Each chapter alternates between Olivia and her husband with everything in between.

Olivia didn’t have a fabulous wedding. She’s longed and planned for her 40th birthday, what seems like, all her life. She’s saved and invested all her years focused on it.

But does her birthday huge party go off with a bang?

It sure does. But not in the way we think.

Olivia is walking around with a secret. And we get to read what she’s really thinking and feeling.

And a dark cloud
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I should rename this book with my another favorite Led Zeppelin’s song name: “Communication Breakdown” or we may call it “Anatomy of Marriage” and deliver this heart wrenching, soul crusher, touchy story into talented hands of Noah Baumbach to turn this into a tear jerker movie. What do you think if we may have another realistic, memorable movie after Marriage’s Story.

I have to admit, I didn’t expect a dramatic family fiction when I started reading this book. When I saw B. A. Paris’ name, I
marilyn
This is a story about a dilemma that takes place over less than 24 hours but felt like a century, to me. Despite the fact that my reading buddies liked this one a lot more than I did, it was still a fun buddy read. I pretty much griped about the husband Adam, not making a necessary phone call and continually thinking he should do something but not doing it, on and on and on. If I were a violent person, I would have thrown my Kindle across the room, but I'm not a violent person and I like my ...more
Susanne  Strong
4 Stars.

Most spouses keep a few secrets from each other, am I right? Everyone does it and it’s the reason why, this novel will getcha.

Livia and Adam have been married for over 20 years and have two children, Josh, 22 and Marnie, 19. Having had a small wedding ceremony way back when, Livia has been scrimping and saving for 20 years to have a huge 40th Birthday Party to make up for what she has always dreamed of.

Livia’s party would almost be perfect, if only..

Livia never planned to keep this
Amanda
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to have a new B.A Paris book I settled down knowing I wouldn’t be moving anytime soon. I was right as soon as I had read the first page I was completely hooked and unable to put the book down.

Adam and Livia are married with two children, Josh 22 and Marnie 19. Livia has been planning her 40th birthday party for twenty years to make up for her small wedding. She has been secretly saving so that she can have a party no one will forget.

All her friends will be there apart from her
Marialyce
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars because I made it to the end

This is a case where the more I thought about this book, the more I turned to the dark side where the words "god I so dislike this story" entered my mind.. So what words describe a book like this...lackluster, boring, nonsensical, immature, egotistical are a few that come to mind. Of course none of them indicate a book that I would recommend.

First the premise of a woman who missed out on a big fairy tale wedding and now has scrimped and saved for countless
Mark
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

I have one!
A dilemma
( apart from constantly spelling it with 1 m )
My dilemma is what to say about and what to mark this book
Firstly I am not going to give away any of the plot except to say ‘Dilemma’ is 352 pages of focused dilemma (s)
Words to describe it would be:
Claustrophobic, irritating, suspenseful, aggravating, wonderful, dark and upsetting!
Also at times repetitive
But boy did it drag you in, coax you to stay, involve you and make you tense at the same time as frustrating you
At times I
Nadia
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I loved Behind Closed Doors, I liked The Breakdown and was curious to read B.A. Paris' latest novel. As with her previous books, Dilemma is gripping and well written. I quickly became absorbed in the lives of Livia, Adam and their two kids Marnie and Josh and wanted to know what happened to them. Livia is turning 40 and organising a grand party to celebrate her big birthday. On the day, her husband Adam is faced with a dilemma of whether to tell her something which would ruin the party or wait ...more
JanB
This was a boring short story that was stretched out into a full-length snooze of a book. I basically hate-read it.

Why? Let me count the ways:
• The entire book relies on the tired trope of a couple NOT TALKING TO EACH OTHER!! UGH
• I found it hard to believe a grown ass woman would dream of a 40th birthday party for 20+ years, to make up for the big wedding she never had. The way she obsesses over the party is utterly ridiculous. Grow up already.
• Pages and pages could be skimmed
Carolyn
The Dilemma is a little different to B.A Paris' previous novels, in that it's more of a family drama than a psychological thriller. Livia, who is about to turn 40 has been looking forward to and planning a big birthday party for a long time. The celebration with all her friends is important to her as she feels that she missed out on the big wedding to her husband Adam that she had planned when she became pregnant. With Adam and son Josh helping, everything has been perfectly organised, except ...more
Mandy White
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do you start with a book like The ? BA Paris is a wonderful writer, and this books give you all the feels. It is an emotional rollercoaster so have those tissues ready. It is also a tough book to review without giving the plot away. And trust me, you don't want this book to be spoilt before you read it. It was also another book that is hard to put down once you start, the story will have you staying up way too late to find out what happens.

Livia is about to turn 40. She has been planning
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
I devoured this book. It was not at all like Paris' first three books. It was more family drama, it was more heartbreak, it was a deep book about a few dilemmas. I want to know if you think the secrets being held were an act of love or an act of selfishness? You read the book and let me know what you think.
Be sure to order your copy of this one. Tt was a great read, I HIGHLY recommend.
5 stars to times for sure.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review
Katie B
When I find out B.A. Paris has a new book coming out, I get giddy. When I actually get the book in my hands and sit down to read it, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. I just have so much fun reading her books, and this one was no exception. I wouldn't say any of her books are perfect and I realize she is not everyone's cup of tea, but an amazing reading experience always counts for something and that's why I'm placing this in the 5 star category. When you can set aside your everyday life ...more
Bookread2day
With being a big fan of B A Paris, I have to say my favourite were Behind Closed a Doors that I gave 5 stars to and Bring Me Back , that I also gave 5 stars to on Goodreads. I think that The Dilemma has been written in a fresh different style to all the other books, I couldn't stop reading it.

Reading Dilemma, early on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, gave me that feeling of a party.

Livia has been planning a party, she been putting money away for years, she set the date for the party but the
Liz Barnsley
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it

Oh I LOVED this book but it was very traumatic!

It’s Livia’s 40th birthday party, a day she has planned for and obsessed over for years. But something she knows has thrown a dark cloud over things. Husband Adam is determined that Livia will have her dream day..But he has a secret of his own…

What an emotional rollercoaster of a read this was- jumping between Adam and Livia as things unfold you often want to clap your hands over your eyes in dismay for them as each reveals the thing they are
Pauline
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Livia has been planning an extravagant 40th birthday party for twenty years to make up for the wedding reception she never had.
Today is the day of her party and she is sure that everything is going to be perfect. She has a secret to tell her husband Adam but she will tell him tomorrow once the party is over.
Adam has a secret of his own and its trying not to say anything about it as he wants Livia to have her big day.
The tension in this book builds from chapter to chapter, it's a roller coaster
Georgina
Dec 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Marianne
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5s
The Dilemma is the fourth novel by British author, B.A. Paris. Livia Harman has an awful secret she’s choosing to reveal after her massive fortieth birthday party. It’s one of those devastating secrets that, when it comes out, is going to severely unbalance the lives of those close to her.

Her son Josh has a piece of news that’s not going to go down well with his father, and her daughter Marnie is definitely hiding something. Her husband Adam has a few surprises for her birthday, but will
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
A true departure from other BA Paris novels! The Dilemma is really more of domestic fiction with some well timed reveals than an actual thriller. **Please take that into account when reading this one** is advice I would shout from the rooftop. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop the whole time and then realized, it wasn't going to.

I still enjoyed it but was confused until I double checked the category it was listed under on Amazon - contemporary fiction. Keep this in mind and you'll be more
Gloria Arthur
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-bookshelf
The Dilemma by B.A. Paris

A tense domestic thriller with a chilling twist, unsettling to say the least!

Livia is celebrating her 40th birthday and she’s having the party she’s been planning in her mind for decades. This party extravaganza is to make up for the wedding she never had when they were young. But Livia is holding a mortifying secret from her husband Adam and she’ll tell him when the party’s over.

Adam has a wonderful surprise in store for Livia’s birthday but he hears some devastating
Meggy
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I am facing a huge dilemma (see what I did there?)

I want you to know exactly why The Dilemma broke me. I want you to understand why I adored it. I want you to follow my train of thoughts, walk the path I strode on with the characters. I want to discuss at length the symphony of emotions that the author triggered with her impeccable and flawless prose.

But.

I want you to meet Livia and Adam on your own. I want your mind to be open. I want the thrill of discovering B.A. Paris’ latest book to make

Erin Clemence
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Expected pub date: June 2020

Livia has been planning her over-the-top 40th birthday party for 20 years. In part, to make up for the large wedding she dreamed of and never got to have, and in hopes that her long-estranged parents will show up and make amends. As the day of the party draws closer, Livia discovers her daughter, Marnie, is unable to come
Liz | The Crime Girl
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gifted
4 stars!
Thank you to HQ for the gifted ARC of The Dilemma by B. A. Paris - Published, 9 January 2020.

I don’t know about anybody else, but after reading three B. A. Paris books, she is quickly becoming one of my go-to authors! I have loved all three, and I now can’t wait to read the final book of hers I still haven’t got too “Bring Her Back” (if you’ve read that one, do let me know how you found it).

The Dilemma was everything you could hope for based off the title—it really was a book that
Christina McDonald
This was quite a different book from B.A. Paris's usual thriller, and this was particularly confusing as it was marketed as a thriller, which I found a massive mislabeling of genres. It just isn't. It's maybe women's fiction/family drama, all of which is centered around one main dilemma.

For me, it fell flat and I had a hard time connecting to it. It's basically one of those books where you spend the whole book waiting for the answer to one simple question, which you're pretty sure you know
Louise Wilson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia and Adam were childhood sweethearts and married when they were just teenagers. Livia's parents did not want her to marry Adam. They cut all ties with her after the wedding. Livia had always dreamed of having a big wedding but when that did not happen, she planned for years to have a big fortieth birthday party. Livia and Adam have two children, a son Josh and and a daughter Marnie. Marnie is away studying abroad but plans to fly home to surprise her mother. That's not the only surprise ...more
Tracy Fenton
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhh… I have a serious dilemma… I want to discuss The Dilemma with you, but I can’t because I don’t want to spoil it for you or give anything away. So I am going to keep this brief and rather evasive, but you will thank me once you’ve read it.

The Dilemma is the latest standalone psychological thriller from BA Paris and like her previous books, Behind Closed Doors, The Break Down and Bring Me Back, it doesn’t disappoint. In fact I think her books are getting better and more twisty.

The story is
Sherri Thacker
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My last book for 2019!!! And wow what a way to end the year!!! B.A. Paris has another great book out and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. Title is perfect for this book!! Thanks to the publisher for this early release for my honest review. Due out January 2020.
Michelle
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dilemma by B. A. Paris such a book that makes me have a dilemma on how to review it.
Olivia and Adam didn’t have a great wedding. She was young and pregnant, and her parents didn’t approve of Adam so much Olivia has not spoken to her parents in 23 years. They haven’t been in contact with their grandchildren. So, Olivia decides at an early age that when she turns 40, she will have a party like no other to make up for her wedding day.
Their son Josh is at home, but daughter Marnie is studying in

• The Argument
  • The Man She Married
  • She
  • The Assistant
  • The Fallout
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • I Dare You
  • Seven Days
  • The Other People
  • One Moment
  • The Lost Ones
B A Paris grew up in England but has spent most of her adult life in France. She has worked both in finance and as a teacher and has five daughters. Behind Closed Doors is her first novel.