Start by marking “The Whole Wide World and Me” as Want to Read:
The Whole Wide World and Me

The Whole Wide World and Me

A bold, joyful picture book for the very young shows that the natural world is full of wonders -- and each of us is a small part of that.

Like a flower in a field . . .
Like a cloud in the sky . . .
So am I.

Just as a pebble is part of a mountain, just as a wave is part of the sea, so, too, is every one of us part of something bigger. With bright collage illustrations and a
Published February 19th 2019 by Candlewick Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Wide World and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole Wide World and Me

Start your review of The Whole Wide World and Me
Calista
This is a beginning book with about 3 words per page. It reminds me a little of Eric Carle’s style, just a little. The nephew was able to read much of this and felt so good about it. It is simple and good about how the child is simply part of the world and this is good.

I did enjoy the artwork, but this is for very young children. The nephew thought this was pretty simple. He said it was boring, but he was excited that he could read it, so he gave this 3 stars.
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This is, I'm sure, a very nice picture book, but there is no story there. The illustratons though are fun to look and and nicely done.

The story follows a girl declaring that she is part of the world and the world is part of her.

The whole wide world

And perhaps that is the only thing we need to know.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

The Whole Wide World and Me was a quick read with interesting pictures, but I don't think it really said anything. The young girl compares herself to a flower, a cloud, a rock rolling down the hill -- all things that occur with very few people noticing. Based on the synopsis, it was a book about being a
Heidi
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This adorable book about nature and the place human beings hold in it delights the senses. The cute little girl with her red bow, purple outfit, an green boots stands out on each spread as she starts with a flower, then moves to a field, then a pond, as the world around her gets bigger and bigger and she ends up looking at an large expanse of prairie and hills before returning to dandelion fluff as she blows it away. The illustrations are what delight here with the gorgeous cut/torn paper ...more
Lana
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Whole Wide World and Me is bright and simply illustrated picture book from the eyes of a young girl and how she sees the world around her.

She is like a leaf floating for a tree, like a pebble rolling down a mountain.

This is such a simple and pleasant picture book for ages 2-4 year olds I think it would make a great bedtime story for a curious young one. I read this to my preschoolers this morning and they enjoyed the art work!
Thank you to Candlewick Press and NetGalley for this beautiful
Genevieve Trono
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated children's picture book that is about a little girl and how she is a part of the world around her. It is peaceful and relaxing to read and would make a great bedtime story for your toddler or preschooler. I love the simple message, that we too are a part of our bigger world.

Thank you to NetGalley and Candlewick Press for this advanced copy, my opinions are my own.
Wendi Lee
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always read picture book ARCs with my toddler, and we were excited about this one. It's a very sweet, zen book about a girl and her connection with the world around her. Perhaps it was a bit too abstract for my three year-old, who loves more intricate illustrations and story in her picture books. But I thought it was quite sweet.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.
Whitney
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful, meditative book about a child's connection to nature. Bright colors are sure to catch the reader's eye.

Thank you to Candlewick Press and LibraryThing for the copy of this book!*
*This did not affect my review or rating.
MaryLibrarianOH
A little girl shows just how she is a part of the world around her. The collage style art that uses both digital and torn tissue paper provide bright child like illustrations that perfectly match the minimal text of the story.
Erin
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clear-review
Simple text and colorful illustrations showing how we are all connected. Audience Pre-K.

Katie Fitzgerald
There is really not much to this book at all. My three-year-old loves the artwork, but my five-year-old was quick to point out that there is no real story. Beyond that, I would argue that the text doesn't even really make sense. How is this little girl like a tree, or the clouds? Why are people and nature connected? This book doesn't even begin to explain. Instead, it provides a few lines of text that sound sort of philosophical and poetic, but which really don't say anything of substance. I ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
How are people like the world? In this exuberant picture book, a child compares herself to things in the natural world. It's a book that celebrates the place of humans in nature. Simple text, simple images.
Jeremy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Read with grandma and Papa via FaceTime
Becky B
A little girl imagines herself a cloud in the sky, a huge wave, a rock rolling down the mountain and more as she contemplates the whole wide world around her.

This is a celebration of imagination and the wonder of nature through the eyes of a child. It’s a look at how much fun can be had in the outdoors when we’re unplugged. And it is loaded with fantastic examples of similes and metaphors that would be great for kids who are learning what these language tools are. The paper collage illustrations
Ms Threlkeld
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
With sparse text and bold collage illustrations, this picture book invites readers to ponder their connection to the world and their place in it. A young girl sees a yellow flower in a field and fish in a pond and realizes she is like them. She can roll down a hill, as a pebble rolls down a mountain. She can float along, just like leaves on the breeze. She is "a small part of it all." This story works on many different levels and could spark some thoughtful discussions, especially from upper ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute and simple picture book about connecting with nature. The main character interacts with nature in a variety of ways, and then talks about how she is a part of all of it. The torn paper illustrations with bright colors will surely appeal to babies and toddlers. The simple text will be good for beginning readers as well. Toni Yuly's brightly colored and adorably illustrated books already have a solid following, and this is another great addition.

Thanks to NetGalley and Candlewick Press for
Diane
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Whole Wide World and Me features a dark-haired girl, possibly Asian, who explores the world around her. The more she discovers outdoors and all the delights which surround her, the more she begins to feel a part of the the bigger picture.

The artwork is bold and bright and textured yet, it's never over powering. There are just a few words on each page but yet little ones can see how the very small can be part of the very big world around them.
KC
Kind of an existential story of a young girl's existence but I loved the illustrations.
Rebecca
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations were lovely. The idea was nice but there’s no real story. I feel like it’s an okay book for under 4 year olds to look at the pictures for but it doesn’t have all too much substance.
Melissa
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, picture-books
I don't quite get how the little girl is like these things. There isn't many words, but maybe they need more to describe how they are alike. The illustrations are kind of cool.
Alicia Evans
I read this for my Spring storytime this week. This book is a little more abstract, telling us that the character (and thus us) are connected to nature and part of a bigger picture. The illustrations were bright and warm, but the book went over my kids' heads.

For: readers looking for a book to read about connecting to nature.

Possible red flags: concepts may not appeal to the target audience; some readers may find frustrating or hard to understand.
Linda
Thanks to Candlewick Press for this new sweet book by Toni Yuly. This will help younger children see their connection to our wonderful world of nature, each of us a part of that pebble, that leaf falling from a tree, with a touch of a fish in a pond and the cloud overhead. It's a bit of poetry come to life with Yuly's bright and colorful collaged illustrations! "A wave that splashes from the sea... is like me!"
John
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this book because this girl likes the world because it's so peaceful. Nature is wonderful (So kids would be inspired to read this, but not too inspired. Maybe grown-ups should read this? I don't know. Well, back to the book review). She likes to find out what nature's all about, not like crazy-crazy-crazy and inventions, you can just use the whole wide world by yourself,without inventions. That's what the book is about... well, sort of.
Lynndell
Precious with a positive message for little ones!
Thanks to NetGalley and Candlewick Press for the opportunity to read and review The Whole Wide World and Me by Toni Yuly!
Cute, simple and charming prose! Illustrations are reminiscent of Eric Carle because of the patterns, paint on paper and construction paper looking images and backgrounds. A sweet book with a strong message of uniqueness and belonging. 5 stars!
Claire
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would easily give this book five stars for the illustrations, which are colorful and immediately engaging. Unfortunately, the text is clunky to read out loud and the story (poem?) lacks a clear narrative. I would share this book one-on-one with a kid in the 18 months-three years age range, but I don't think it would work well in a group or with older kids.
Megan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-storytime
A very simple story with few words, good for younger children. The appealing, large, collage-like illustrations and sparse prose makes it a thoughtful choice for a quieting book in a storytime or bedtime setting.
Amanda Blau
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple text great for sharing with groups of toddlers and early PreK.
Bright large illustrations help with group appeal.
June
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: interconnections requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
Bright bold illustrations and a slim text claim a child is "a small part of it all."
Heather
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga-storytime
Too short, not everyhing leant it'self to poses, but otherwise enjoyed it.
Dana Storytime Account
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book with only a couple words on each page so it's great for young beginning readers but it still tells a story rather than just being site words.

• The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • I Am Just Right
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • Tomorrow Most Likely
  • The Little Guys
Toni Yuly is the author-illustrator of the picture books Early Bird, Night Owl, and Cat Nap. After many years as a librarian, she now dedicates herself to designing, painting, and writing all day. Toni Yuly lives in Bremerton, Washington.