Start by marking “Gone to Ground (Detective Kay Hunter #6)” as Want to Read:
Gone to Ground (Detective Kay Hunter #6)

Gone to Ground

(Detective Kay Hunter #6)

**Please do not rate this book until you have read it. Use the "Want to Read" button to add it to your reading list**

While attending a crime scene on the outskirts of Maidstone, DI Kay Hunter makes a shocking discovery.

The victim has been brutally cut to pieces, his identity unknown.

When more body parts start turning up in the Kentish countryside, Kay realises the disturbi
Published July 8th 2018 by Saxon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Gone to Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone to Ground

Brenda
Detective Inspector Kay Hunter was shocked to the core when she and DC Ian Barnes attended a crime scene just outside Maidstone – the gruesome discovery of a body part by a group of Sunday morning cyclists was the beginning of a case more brutal than Kay and her team had seen before. During the course of the investigation, the call they received which revealed more body parts came with a terrible realization – they had a serial killer on their hands…

Frustration mounted quickly as they kept hitti
Janel
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Amphlett has done it again, another solid police procedural in this fantastic crime series. Gone to Ground is perfect for readers who love a strong mystery that’ll keep you guessing until the author decides it’s time to reveal all! Six books in, and it’s mighty impressive that Amphlett still manages to grip me as a reader, and have me hella invested in the plot, and remaining a fan of Kay Hunter and her team. While Gone to Ground can be enjoyed a standalone, I think you’ll get much more o ...more
Eva
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kay Hunter is back! Yes, she is! And I couldn’t be more excited if I tried!

Gone To Ground is the sixth (6th!! How did that happen?) instalment in the Kay Hunter series and it still feels as fresh as the first one. I rather think you can get away with reading this one as a stand-alone since it sort of marks new beginnings, but why would you want to? Start with the first book if you haven’t done so already! I promise you won’t regret it!

The scene is set from the very first page, when a Sunday morn
Emma
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gone to Ground opens with a leisurely Sunday bike ride that quickly morphs into a terrifying experience for a group of friends when they discover a severed foot, still housed in its original boot. Kay and the team are called to investigate the grisly find but struggle to discover the victim's identity. The Home Office Pathologist is the first person to shed any light on who the victim may be and from there on, Kay and her devoted team slowly and methodically work with the evidence they have to a ...more
Pat
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this instalment of a series that goes from strength to strength a bunch of weekend cyclists make the gruesome discovery of a severed foot. Hunter and her team are on the job, trying to find the rest of the body and identify the victim. Before long, more body parts show up. It looks like they have a serial killer on their hands.
Janine
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good police procedural but I didn’t enjoy it as much as previous books in the series.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: September 8th 2018

"She had tried to push the memory away over the years, heeding the advice of the psychologists her parents had consulted, but she would never forget the stench of burning human flesh."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***
(view spoiler)
Rubina
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sixth addition to the series and it still feels fresh like the first one! (Pss, pss, by the way you can read this as a standalone but DON’T DO THAT! You’ll miss the fun)

Rachel Amphlett is one of the best things that has happened in my life. I thank all the stars in the whole universe for making our paths cross. I would have missed on such great books if I haven’t met Rachel. All of Rachel’s books are addictive reads and Gone to Ground is no less. From the first chapter, we dive straight into act
Lelia Taylor
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
Once again, Rachel Amphlett has delivered a terrific British police procedural and visiting again with Detective Inspector Kay Hunter and the people she cares about was well worth the wait for this episode.

Dead bodies are never pleasant to see, of course, but the level of brutality in first one killing and then more is beyond what some of Kay’s homicide team have ever seen. There’s no question they’re dealing with a serial killer but this kind of violence usually means there’s something personal
Ellen
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the highlights of my reading year is a new Kay Hunter book being published and having been a fan from the start I couldn’t wait to get started on Gone to Ground (Kay Hunter 6). The story opens in an innocuous manner with a leisurely cycle ride amongst a group of friends. The tone soon changes when one of the group find an abondoned boot….with a foot still in it! Thus begins a new case for Kay Hunter and her team. I have loved seeing this team grow closer as the series has progressed and o ...more
Kerry
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliantly light-hearted last couple of pages to what is a horrifying serial killer thriller! An awesome addition to the excellent Detective Kay Hunter series. If you haven't read this series as yet then I highly recommend that you do. You don't know what you're missing out on.
Gone To Ground is the sixth book in the Kay Hunter series and they just get better. I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I warmed to Kay and her team from book one, but they have really grown on me over the series. They a
LooseBoots
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell Rachael.

What a story.

I have enjoyed ALL the Kay Hunter books, this one is no exception.
It is the first story with Kay in her new role as Inspector. A tense and gripping murder mystery. Once again I not only enjoyed the tension but also the inter play with her work colleagues and of course her personal home life with Adam.
It makes these stories human and realistic.

Another recommendation from me.
Ingo
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preordered
From the mailing list of the author I received an email that this is to be published July 8th, 2018 and a few retailers allowed pre-ordering it today (June 10th, 2018), ebook.de (in Germany) among them. Amazon will surely follow soon.
Also there was a link to excerpt from the book, although I downloaded it, I am not so sure I will read it, as I do not like to be stopped reading.
All books by this author I read so far where great, 4 or 5 star reads for me, so I am looking forward to it, and will pr
Kristine Hall
Gone to Ground is the sixth and the best of the Detective Kay Hunter series yet. Take your Dramamine because if you are prone to motion sickness, the twists and turns on this baby will put you right over the edge.

As is the case with nearly all the Detective Kay Hunter series books, Gone to Ground grips the reader from the start. What makes this installment (and others) interesting is how it starts with one thing (and ICK. What a thing.), and despite the absence of logical explanation, leads, or
Susan
Note: Even though this is Book 6 in the series, it works fine as a stand alone.

Kay Hunter has her hands full with this one! It all starts with a group of bicyclists and a detached foot. The trail of clues lead to resort hotel that has lots of team building activities like archery, barbecues, and such. So many suspects, so little time before yet another victim turns up dead.

First, I have to talk about the goat. Kay’s husband Adam is a vet and he sometimes has to bring home a critter for a little
Clair
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
I can't remember how I first came across this series, but I am so pleased that I did and have been on the journey with Kay Hunter and her team right from book 1, Scared to Death.

Kay Hunter is still Detective Inspector since her promotion but still appreciates her roots and works close with the team, refusing to use the office that is now hers, preferring to instead sit with the team and right in the middle of the action. Gone to Ground can be read as a standalone following the wrapping up of ev
Flora Viggiano
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a British murder mystery story filled with suspense and with an excellent narrator. I loved the use of colloquialisms to match the characters and the country like "take away" instead of take out and the "cooker" instead of stove. This is the first Kay Hunter novel I have read/listened to. I have to say I think as an American I enjoyed listening to it more than if I had just read it. I think the flavor of the story's setting would have been blurred if I just read it. I love the character, ...more
Lauren Jones
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The heat is on Detective Inspector Kay Hunter and her team to find another killer on the loose! What level would you go to find the truth when it seems like no one can be trusted? All suspects are leading back to ground zero. Amphlett captivates her readers with this mystery; this time it is a slew of men disappearing around town and turning up with severed body parts and burnt flesh.

DI Hunter has her plate full with handling interviews for the Detective Sergeant position that they desperately n
Elena Alvarez Dosil
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kay Hunter and her team are back on another roller coaster mystery. This time they are investigating who could be this murderer who is leaving body parts behind, who are the victims, and why the killer decided to hunt specifically these people.

Reading another Detective Kay Hunter book is like returning to visit old friends. The characters are very well depicted, and they have become almost part of the family. This time there are no gripping subplots like in previous books, but Kay and her partne
Sara ✨ Next Book Review Blog ✨
*************** AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ***************

For some reason there was a really long pause between chapters. I think I checked every single time that it had paused or to see if there was a problem with the audio. There never was, obviously, but the pause was a bit too long for my liking. It had me questioning my sanity over and over again! Otherwise, I love this narrator. Alison Campbell has a fantastic accent, to this American anyway. I have a thing for British narrators.

As for the story its
Grace J Reviewerlady
I didn't think it was possible, but this series just gets better and better!

DI Kay Hunter once again finds herself in charge of a murder investigation; this time, however, she has extra management duties to deal with as well as the day-to-day routine of leading her team to solve a crime with all due haste. With all possible leads going nowhere, they all have to dig in and give a bit more than their all - not easy given the gruesome nature of this case.

It is no secret that I'm a big fan of this s
RedRedtheycallmeRed
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kay has been promoted to Detective Inspector, so in addition to her previous duties she gets to field calls from the curious media and hire her replacement. A severed foot is found, and the team tries to find the rest of the victim. Just when they think they've got a lead, it turns into additional victims.

If you're looking for an action packed, guns blazing book...better look elsewhere. If you're looking for a solid police procedural, look no further. I've enjoyed all six books in the series, a
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
I L-O-V-E the Detective Kay Hunter series from Rachal Amphlett! Each one is a bloody brilliant, edge of your seat, white knuckle read. I have to say Gone to Ground was far more sinister than previous Kay Hunter stories but that just made me relish it more. Filled with twists and turns I am in shock at “who done it.” As always Amphlett delivers a well-executed police drama.

One of my favorite aspects of Amphlett’s stories is finding out what animal Adam (Kay’s SO) has brought home. As a vet he tre
Robert Crouch
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You’re always guaranteed something intriguing, original and a little bit different when Kay Hunter investigates a murder.

Gone to Ground begins with the gruesome discovery of an amputated foot in a layby. It’s quickly followed by more body parts at the local tip, posing all manner of questions to Kay and her team. Do the parts belong to one victim or more? Who are they? Is a serial killer at work?

With a lack of evidence, it’s a difficult and slow investigation for newly promoted Kay and her close
Renee Arthur
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kay and the rest of her detectives have a new murder case. Along with that, they need a new Detective Sargent for their group. As a group of friends go for their weekly bike ride, they stop at a lay by so one can fix a tire. When another goes off to find a spot to pee, he finds a human foot in a boot! This is where Kay and her detectives come in to solve a very hard case that ends up involving at least one more murder. They're very methodical and by the book in checking out all possible ideas. O ...more
Trude
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the 6th entry into Rachel Amphlett's Kay Hunter series. If you enjoy a good police procedural these books are for you!
Human remains are discovered in a waste disposal plant and it is up to Kay and her team to find out who the victim was and who killed him. The story moves quickly and more bodies are found. The team works on the investigation establishing suspects and then are forced to discard them. Just when I thought I had things figured out Ms. Amphlett threw in a twist and changed d
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The subtle humor was great in this one, had me smiling and giggling in a few places. It so sneakily put in that sometimes it catches you a little off guard, and just deflates the boringness to the case, and all the paperwork they have to work through. In a way, it keeps the story lighter, even though it a crime based book.

Loved seeing more of Adam, in this one you got to see him outside of the house interacting more with her work colleagues. It was a nice change, also added to the family feeling
Jim B.
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See my review below on Goodreads; I am having problems putting it on Apple Books:

Kay is settling into a new leadership role, but longs for the action she had as a Detective Sargent (DS). She his been handed a high profile case and instructed to lead the investigation with her old team. That assignment is in addition to her new duties as Detective inspector (DI). While she is juggling these two jobs she is also interviewing candidates to back fill her DS position. As usual there are lots of twist
Alison Waterfield
A thrilling instalment in this superb crime thriller series

Kay Hunter is back at her best and with a deserved promotion. She provides great encouragement to her team and assists with her usual determination throughout the investigation. It’s a riveting case with an unpredictable conclusion. Another brilliant and clever storyline from Rachel, absolutely love this series. Highly recommended crime thriller novel.
Karla Young
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I am a big fan of the Kay Hunter series and was very happy when this book came out. It was like welcoming an old friend. I like her character as well as those who surround her, especially the animal humor from her husband, the Vet. These books were meant to be devoured, and I didn't let them down. Page turners for sure.
  • Peril in the Park (Jamie Quinn Mystery #3)
  • Deep Shadow (Caribbean Dive Adventures Book 1)
  • A Death in Duck (A Lindsay Harding Mystery, #2)
  • Rituals of the Dead (Adventures of Zelda Richardson #3)
  • The Blue Ice
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • Twisted
  • Dropping the Dime (Miranda Vaughn Mysteries Book 2)
  • I Was a Teenage Weredeer (Bright Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • Cold Hollow (Cold Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • Deadly Shore
  • Dark Harvest (A Holt Foundation Story Book 2)
  • A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)
  • Venetian Blood: Murder in a Sensuous City
  • Ravaged (The Hunger #3)
  • The Black Stiletto: Black & White (The Black Stiletto #2)
  • In Velvet
  • The Shuttered Room
USA Today bestseller Rachel Amphlett writes crime fiction and spy novels, including the Kay Hunter British detective series, the Dan Taylor espionage novels, the English Spy Mysteries featuring Eva Delacourt, and a number of standalone crime thrillers.

Rachel is a member of International Thriller Writers and the Crime Writers Association, with the Italian foreign rights for her debut novel, White G

Detective Kay Hunter (7 books)
  • Scared to Death (Detective Kay Hunter #1)
  • Will to Live (Detective Kay Hunter #2)
  • One to Watch (Detective Kay Hunter #3)
  • Hell to Pay (Detective Kay Hunter, #4)
  • Call to Arms (Detective Kay Hunter #5)
  • Bridge to Burn (Detective Kay Hunter #7)