Start by marking “The Happy Book” as Want to Read:
The Happy Book

The Happy Book

From the creator of ARCHIE THE DAREDEVIL PENGUIN comes the unique story of two friends who can't escape all the feels.

Camper is happy as a clam and Clam is a happy camper. When you live in The Happy Book, the world is full of daisies and sunshine and friendship cakes . . . until your best friend eats the whole cake and doesn't save you one bite. Moving from happiness to
Published February 19th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happy Book

Start your review of The Happy Book
Calista
I started out reading this and I thought I was immediately going to hate it. I didn’t like the art at first and it was mono-feeling. Then, Happy turned into Sad. He has a character to represent each feeling and a color as well. The boy and a clam start out in happy land. The clam makes a cake for the boy and the boy eats the whole cake leaving none for the clam so the clam gets sad. It’s such a surprise to go from the Happy to the sad.

I thought this book was so clever and once I saw the
Betsy
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much of picture book writing consists of rehashing old concepts. When your audience consists almost entirely of small, new people, necessity dictates that you will have to present familiar ideas to them in a host of different ways. Consider your average preschool teachers. Not only do they have to keep their charges fed, napped, and relatively clean, but they also have to instruct them on the basics. Shapes and colors. Numbers and letters. And then there are those more intangible concepts ...more
orangerful
Cute book about all the feelings and emotions that everyone experiences, emphasizing that they are not good or bad, just feelings. Really cute. Definitely meant for the older picture book fan. Great discussion book for kids though. I especially like how the angry hen focused her anger to fix the bike (that she broke, but whatever) and how the scared cat makes sure she has a helmet. It shows how feelings like this can be useful.
Cassie
Oh my goodness! This is the best book about feelings I've ever read. So often they're just weird but this one is perfect and makes the range of the emotions we feel both totally ok and laugh-out-loud hilarious! I loved it! Therapists could keep this one on their shelves to use with all ages. Hooray for feelings!
Kimberly
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really probably 3ish stars but the illustrations made me laugh out loud in a couple of places. (The cat with the box of spiders hahahaha).
Shiloah
This was a great dad-read-aloud book.
Morgan
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
SO MANY FEELINGS ABOUT THIS BOOK OF FEELINGS that caps were necessary.
Shannon
I actually lol'd at this. Loved the way it was set up.
Becky
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really didn't think I was going to care for this book, but it totally won me over. Great for discussing feelings... very Inside Out-ish where all feelings are acknowledged and allowed to be felt. Recommended.
Molly
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stevie gives this 5 stars, I give it 3. Good for talking through emotions.

Note: I read with my niece, who gave every book 5 stars and insisted on previewing my comments.:D I had to go back to change the stars, for accuracy.
Abby Johnson
Camper (as in "Happy Camper") and Clam (as in "Happy as a") are best friends and they're happy. But when Clam bakes Camper a cake and Camper eats all of it without saving any for his friend, Clam gets sad and enters a new book. Instead of The Happy Book, Clam's spending some time in The Sad Book. And from there, the two friends experience a gamut of emotions as they work through their first fight. Not only is this book funny, but it respects the range of emotions that kids experience and how ...more
Garrett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
A good book to help kids understand the complexities of emotions and emotional changes. We don't always understand why we're sad or angry or scared, and talking about it out loud could really help kids get a grasp on not only their own but other people's emotions.
Effie
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOL I love this book. Has a great message about feelings while being really entertaining and funny.
Jasmine Pope
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. My son adored it. I have a feeling we’ll be referencing emotions in this way when they come up, “you’re in the angry book now!” Lots of levels, all done in a simple way that shows kids it normal to spiral through many emotions and they are what they are.
Jillian
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found myself *really* liking this book. It shows that feelings like sadness, anger, and fear aren't "bad," they're just feelings. Sometimes they can be helpful - channeling anger into fixing a problem you caused, or fear of injury making you cautious. But they're still just feelings, and feelings are valid. Your *response* to the feelings is what counts!
Debbie Smith
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This colorful book begins with The Happy Book, bright yellow pages, a happy camper wearing a scout uniform, and a clam.

"Welcome to the Happy Book!

I’m one happy Camper!"

But this happy guy soon disappoints his best friend, Clam, by thoughtlessly eating the whole friendship cake that Clam prepared. Oops! One of these characters has caused the happy feeling that they’ve shared to change.

"Wait You ate the whole cake?"

Scout confirms this and with a little smile and a thank you, he hops on his bike and
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Andy Rash's The Happy Book is a real gem of a picture book. Are you familiar with expressions such as happy camper, scaredy cat, or sad trombone? Well, get ready to meet pitch-perfect, on-the-nose, laugh-out-loud depictions of all sorts of feelings ! Camper and Clam are having a pretty awesome time together in the Happy Book: the sun is shining, yellow birds are chirping, a friendship cake is baked...and then Clam discovers Camper has eaten all of the friendship cake. Camper spies an open door
The Reading Countess
Oh, my. This. Book. Makes. Me. Happy.

Understanding our fluctuating emotions can be tricky business, but when we’re dealing with little humans, they can be downright confusing. Enter THE HAPPY BOOK.

Like life, it starts out grand. We’ve got a happy camper and a clam that is as happy as one. But then life throws you a curve. Enter sadness. Bwah-bwah...everything is blue and outta tune. Why would anyone wanna stay there, you say? Good question! Happy Camper wanted to know the same thing so off he
Jj
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I much enjoyed this title by Andy Rash and the way it talks about emotions. Happy Camper? Check. Sad Trambone? Check, and check. Wet Hen? Check, check, check! In the hands of a less-adept and outright funny author-illustrator, this could have fallen flat with only a cast of cleverly-named characters who embody these literal depictions of popular phrases. However, this book manages to tackle a quartet of emotions (happy, sad, angry, scared) that are universal and easily recognizable for young ...more
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Andy's friend makes a friendship cake and Andy eats all of it, the friends are launched on a journey through books of feelings. Can they still be friends if they are sad, angry, and scared? Where will their emotional journey lead them? This book is a fun exploration of difficult feelings, and ultimately teaches that it's okay to feel many things all at once, or throughout the day, and that friends love us even when we aren't 100% happy.
Amy
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for children...especially younger children. It explores through word and illustrations the different emotions that we feel and that others around us may be feeling. It helps children understand that we can embrace these emotions and that they are normal.
Erin
Acknowledges many feelings. In some ways like Inside Out.

I think my favorite part is when Happy Camper is angry about Clam being sad, and scared that he won’t be able to make Clam happy again, and worried that their friendship won’t make it. This little book manages to tackle some really complicated emotions, and does it in a way that helps you see how they can interact in surprising and chaotic ways.
Barbra
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An awesome addition in school classrooms to support emotional learning. In this vividly illustrated book we follow Camper as he maneuvers his way through happy, sad, angry and scared emotions. The characters he encounters explain their feelings as he tries to make his way back to his happy place. A uniquely fun way to talk children aged 3 to 7 about different emotions, and open up conversations about solutions to problems.
Diane
Happy Camper and Happy Clam start in the Happy Book. But when Camper eats the entire friendship cake, Clam moves into the Sad Book. When Camper tries to get him out of the Sad Book and Clam won’t go, Camper joins Wet Hen in the Angry Book. Finally, they end up in the Feelings Book where all emotions are present.

Cute.
Rebecca Ann
What a great comic-book style picturebook to help kids understand feelings and their complexity. I like the focus on the effect your feelings have on yourself and on other. The comparison to colors will likely put readers in mind of the movie inside out.
Kareena
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very bizarre book but I liked it. The illustrations are wild and fun and the message is fantastic. Took me a little while to get into, but a cute story. Definitely a lap read though, not great for storytime
This is a cute story about emotions and ultimately recognizing that we have them all and that it's OK to feel your feelings. It's also about recognizing friends and fixing things when we hurt someone else's feelings.

Nice bright illustrations.
Raven Black
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Exploring feelings via different "books" within the main story.
Elena Berlioz
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Happy Book (and other feelings) deals with the overarching theme of emotions and how it can sometimes be hard to control so many at the same time. It focuses on how a shift from feeling happy to feel any other negative way can be overwhelming. This book embraces the importance and the value of good company and that our attitude can impact those around us heavily, so it is important to surround ourselves with those who will motivate us to be better always or with people who will make us feel ...more
Suzanne Kunz Williams
I loved this book because not only did it emphasize that all feelings are okay and have their place, that you don't just have to feel happy all the time, that it's okay to feel sad or mad or scared too. But it also explained why a person might feel angry - "I'm angry that I can't make you happy and scared that we won't be friends anymore." I think that sentence is profound! We all feel all the emotions and should know that's part of feeling human. It's good not to be afraid of emotions or feel ...more
« previous 1 3 next »