Start by marking “Growing Yams in London” as Want to Read:
Growing Yams in London

Growing Yams in London

Published December 1st 2006 by Piccadilly Books (first published November 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Yams in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Yams in London

Start your review of Growing Yams in London
Carlene Alexander
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I loved the idea that this would give me an insight into Ghanaian culture. However I couldn't get past that there is very little descriptive language. The book is set near where I live but evoked no atmosphere nor description. I didn't get any sense that the author had actually visited the area.
Ari
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ari by: Karen Mahoney
This was a very cute and fun read. As an American who is not entirely familar with British culture, I enjoyed being completely immersed in it. I gather that the GCSE is like a high school entrance exam? I do wonder if all the British bands mentioned were real or made up. Does anyone know? I loved how everyone says "All right?" in place of "hey" or "what's up".

The author did a good job with IMs and text messages. Sometimes authors include technology and it just doesn't work because they mix up w
Selan
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenage
At first glance when I picked this up, I thought that it was going to be a trashy girl-meets-boy romance. Well...it is, really. However, it's different in that the main characters comes from a Ghanaian family and that you get to learn about their culture throughout the book.

To be honest, after reading the first 6 chapters I still hadn't learned a single thing about Ghanaian culture, aside from the MC's mum being strict about when she should get a boyfriend. It could have been my family. You hav
Nana Fredua-Agyeman
The proportion of Ghanaian writers, both at home and in the diaspora, are incomparable to countries like Nigeria, whose authors have become household names, names we throw about in every literary discussion, names like Achebe, Soyinka, Okri, Chimamanda, Elechi Amadi, Buchi Emecheta and others. If there are few Ghanaians involved in the art of weaving words into novels, there are fewer - in fact, they could be counted on the fingers of one hand - whose writings are directed towards the youth or w ...more
Sian Cancea
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book several years ago so writing an up to date account of it is tricky. I remember it evoking a lot of nostalgia as much of the setting took place where I grew up. I remember it being insightful and informative about Ghanian traditions. I also love how Sophia references the use of MSN instant messenger... although the book isn't that old, with the change in technology msn seems like a lifetime ago!
Rae Rae