Start by marking “The Vorkosigan Companion” as Want to Read:
The Vorkosigan Companion

The Vorkosigan Companion

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,183 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Lois McMaster Bujold's best-selling Vorkosigan series is a publishing phenomenon, winning record-breaking sales, critical praise, four Hugo Awards and a Nebula award. And the thousands of devotees of the series now have a book that will be a goldmine of information, background details, and little-known facts about the Vorkosigan saga. Included are an all-new interview with ...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by Baen (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Vorkosigan Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vorkosigan Companion

Lightreads
Pretty cool, with a few notable low points. The second half of the book is all reference material – an exhaustive concordance, wormhole maps, genealogical charts, etc. Handy, for those who find themselves in need of such things. The first half starts out strong with a few new essays from Bujold herself, as well as a long informal interview. Then it slides precipitously downhill into topical essays on romance and technology in the books, whose general quality is far outmatched by the meta you can ...more
Tim
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This would be a rewarding book to dip in and out of occasionally, picking up a bit of knowledge each time. However, that doesn't really work for my Sony Reader, so I read the whole thing from the start.

The first few essays / interviews are great, and I really enjoyed reading them.

The middle section of the book has several essays taken from book forewords. Each picks a different theme and discusses how that theme is handled across the series. Read independently, they'd be interesting, but read i
Melody
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
For fans (and most definitely only for those who have already read the Vorkosigan Saga in full, to avoid massive spoilers) and rabid fanatics. I loved the plot summaries of all the books, I loved the analysis of Falling Free by Bujold's engineer brother, I really appreciated the plot summary. The concordance was less compelling, but I think will be useful during a re-read. I love, love, loved the interviews with Bujold. In short, I'm moving from ordinary fan into the realm of rabid fanatic.
Caprice Hokstad
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Very useful and comprehensive glossary of all the names, places, technology, in short anything that you can't look up in a dictionary or wikipedia. Also pronunciation guides to names. I wish I had this while I was still reading the fiction. I will keep it for the next read-throughs. But other than a reference, I probably will not read this book itself again.
Sineala
To be honest, I don't think I would have paid money for this book -- but I didn't, because it was on the Cryoburn CD. (So, okay, technically I suppose a portion of the hardcover price funded the CD.) Bujold's essays on writing and discussions of her fannishness are interesting (and certainly the part of the book that I would most recommend), and some of the reprinted introductions to the novels are interesting.

The rest of it is probably worthwhile as reference for a fan of the series, but not so
Nicholas Whyte
"http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1256806.html[return][return]It feels a bit elegiac, and if anything belated, to look at a handbook to Bujold's Vorkosigan universe. It is five years since the latest story of the cycle was published, and the most recent novel came out in 2001. Bujold continues to publish, but has switched to fantasy these days.[return][return]The Companion is rather thin for its price. It starts with several interesting bits from Bujold herself, but then has some not very inspiring ...more
Meghan
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
The outstanding bits of this very miscellaneous collection for me are Lillian Stewart Carl's adorkable reminisces about growing up fannish with Lois and Lois's own revisiting of her writing life, which is just as thoughtful as her fictional take on same.

On the other end of the spectrum for me would be the pronunciation guide, which seems like it could live perfectly happily on the internet without needing to see a print version (not that I have the book in print so much as from the fantastic CD-
Иван Величков
Брутална компилация, само за заклети фенове на сагата. Ако не сте чели някоя от книгите, по-добре да не я подхващата, защото спойлерите са на кубици.
Страшно ми харесаха поместените вътре статии, есета и едно две интервюта, както и индексите с карти и генеалогични дървета.
Има и доста разширени синопсиси на всички романи, до излизането на тази книга, показалец с правилното произношение на имената от всички произведения. А половината книга е заета от пълна енциклопедия на света на Вор.
Най-много ми
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, nonfiction
This collection of essays about Lois McMaster Bujold's delightful Vorkosigan saga has a few bright spots, but is mostly disappointing. Seriously, over half the volume is comprised of lists more exhausting than exhaustive (since they're now two books outdated) of people, places, plots, and pronunciations. The essays by Bujold herself provide fascinating background on the series and its genesis, and Smulders-Srinivasan's essay on various biological technologies and their current states of developm ...more
Jacey
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
A collection of essays by and about Lois McMaster Bujold, aythor of the Vorkosigan series of science fiction books (dubbed the Vorkosiverse by fans) and a number of excellent fantasies including the Five Gods (Chalion) series and the Sahring Knife quartet, a blend of fantasy and romance. I've never met a Bujold book I didn't like, so this makes interesting reading and gives me some insight into Ms Bujold's creative process and writing history.
Kiri
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Just started this, and I gotta say that reading Bujold's non-fiction pieces about her life, her writing, the business of writing just make me appreciate her great talents even more.

I did not read the entire book; a lot of it is stuff that is reprinted (like the forwards from her books) and some stuff was also printed in "Dreamweaver's Dilemma". Given that, there were still a couple of topnotch essays by Bujold on the subject of writing. She is so great.
JoyfulK
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Great fun if you've read the Vorkosigan novels. If you haven't read them yet, go get one (try Cordelia's Honor or The Warrior's Apprentice---either are excellent entry points to the series). Save this book for after you become addicted to Bujold's stunningly excellent books. It's full of essays by Bujold and others about the books; a concordance; and even a pronunciation guide to names of people and places.
Jon
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
The bulk of the text is a glossary which doesn't lend itself to a readthrough. Some of the upfront essays were better than others; some went over ground covered in other essays. Little that makes this a massive standout. For serious Miles fans, it's the equivalent of spending an evening jawing about the characters--diverting, but wouldn't you rather read another Miles book? Or talk about them with your friends?
Allan
So a few years back I was on a fan panel with Helfeers and his wife and Toni Weisskopf talking about LMB's texts. :) Awesome. During the discussion Helfers said they heard from Lois during the writing of the Companion and she'd told them, 'Now I'll have a place to look up stuff about my writing'.
Rebecca Huston
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A book for the fans of Lois McMaster Bujold's series about Miles Vorkosigan, with all kinds of tidbits and trivia inside. A terrific resource and one that fans will enjoy.

For the more complete review, please go here:
Sian Bradshaw
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Despite loving the Vorkosigan series with a passion, this book did not add a great deal to my understanding.

It also appears to have been written before Cryoburn, the final book in the series too place. It does have some interesting chapters from Bujold herself but didn't really given me much new.

There was a useful index of all characters.
Bill
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plenty of interesting information about Lois McMaster Bujold, the author of the Vorkosigan Saga and a good reference book for fans of all things Vorkosigan. Since Companion's publication, two more Vorkosigan novels are out and I needed the refresher.
Alexa
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
A pleasant read for any serious Bujold fan, especially for the new material. But lots of it was simply collected from other sources, and seriously, what die-hard fan needs a summary of each of the books? I did particularly enjoy the two Nightingale essays though.
Liz
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Have to admit, I only read this as far as the last essay by Bujold - the rest I skimmed and was completely turned off of. There may be some gems there, but I'm not going to venture to find out. Bujold's contributions, however, were truly excellent. She's a class act, as always.
Child960801
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be fair, I didn't read through the whole concordance. I really enjoyed all the articles and interviews. I found it fascinating to read the stories and ideas behind the books. I also enjoyed the interviews and reading about the author.
Peter
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent general info piece for lovers of the Vorkosiganverse and Lois Mcmaster Bujold
Sara A Bowlden
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

As a true fan of Space Opera, how can I not love this series. This book gives us a helpful overview of the very complex universe that Ms. Bull has created for us.
Joy
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A useful reference, but as a member of the Bujold List, most of it is stuff I already knew.
Child960801
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, novels
This is a fabulous book with lots the forwards from the omnibuses all together as well as interviews and essays and a glossary. Quite enjoyed it.
Denicemarcell
Jun 27, 2009 marked it as to-read
february 8th, 2011. not as interesting as i had hoped. might give up
Jean
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own
It wasn't quite what I expected. I think I wanted more details about the individual books and less going over and over the books from different view points. But I still enjoyed it.
Rick Jordan
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun stories about Bujold fandom, her early writing, history of her universe. Makes me want to re-read them!
Maria
Mar 07, 2012
Jen
Oct 23, 2015
Nicolas
rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2011
  • Miles, Mutants, and Microbes (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #5)
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • Year's Best SF 15
  • Timeshares
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Other Earths
  • Chicks Unravel Time: Women Journey Through Every Season of Doctor Who
  • Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...