Start by marking “Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)

Metro Girl

(Alex Barnaby #1)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  31,504 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews
Buckle your seat belts. Number one New York Times bestselling author, Janet Evanovich, is moving into the fast lane with Metro Girl, a thrilling, high-octane misadventure with high stakes, hot nights, cold-blooded murder, sunken treasure, a woman with a chassis built for speed, and one very good, very sexy NASCAR driver who’s along for the ride.

"Wild" Bill Barnaby's dropp
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Metro Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metro Girl

·  31,504 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews

Start your review of Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)
Tina
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020, series
This book had me laughing so much at times. I love the characters in Janet's books.
Tiffany PSquared
A Baltimore-born tomboy joins forces with a NASCAR track star in south Florida to outwit a South American heavy bent on delivering a deadly nerve agent to the Russians.

Oh, and there's sunken treasure, gun-wielding females with hand-rolled cigars, Wild Bill the red-haired boat thief, bouncing banana-hammocks, and a possibly gay rainbow-collared schnauzer named Brian.

Metro Girl is a perfect beach read - it's fast, funny, and just on the other side of making any sense whatsoever. If you already lov
Antof9
Having just read A Thousand Acres, I needed something "lite", and this perfectly fit the bill. I found it fun and silly, and some of the writing was quite clever. Calling Hooker "NASCAR guy" was genius. Judey was a little bit of a characature, but the lines about him having "two eyebrows" made me LOL.

One of the things I liked was all the pop culture references. I've often found things like that missing in the Sue Grafton "alphabet series" (it's ok though; that's an older series -- I just find th
Parisa
Feb 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I'm sorry, Janet. But seriously. This book was filled with exactly the same characters as the Plum series, but they had different names. Come on. I liked the Plum series for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want to read it over and over again under the pretense of it being a new story with new people.
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Love Janet Evanovich! No deep thinking or blood and guts, just plain entertainment.
Marla
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the hardcover, large print edition of this, which I point out because it got really funny around pages 280/300. As usual for a Janet Evanovich book one of the characters was driving a Porsche, it was not however a Cayenne or a Turbo(gasp!), but they did mention they were thinking of upgrading to a Turbo so there's that. =P There was also a Mini Cooper which I believe Stephanie drove at one point in her books. =)

This takes place in Miami and I couldn't help but think they needed to get in
Erin
I'm calling this done.

I've still got about 40 minutes of listening left in the audiobook, but as the minutes wind down at work on this Christmas Eve, I don't know if I'll finish it before they release us. And frankly, at this moment I don't care if I finish it or not. I kind of just want to stop.

This book is dumb.
I never cared about any of the characters, the plot is weak and absolutely absurd (She also apparently doesn't have a clue about owning boats in Cuba... and how people DON'T. Because th
Heather
This was a lot of fun to read. I'd been told that these weren't as good as the Stephanie Plum novels so I was delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It almost read like a Carl Hiaasen novel; mostly owing to the south Florida setting and odd ball characters. Some of the action in the book was a little preposterous at times but nowhere near the almost unbelievable level of a Plum book. Overall a solid story with enough suspense that had me reading it all in one sitting. Just the summer r ...more
Lynn
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this and really liked it. I liked the characters and the story line. I like Evanovich. Love the Plum series, and this is my second favorite!
Alexw
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun, easy read which is what I needed during the Holiday Season. Not as good as her Stephanie Plum series which has more belly laughs but a good, fast paced thriller.
Lyn Elliott
Once a month I choose books for our library to send out to people who can’t make it there to choose their own. And I spend my Friday mornings working in our community second hand bookshop.
Between these two volunteer jobs I’ve learned about whole realms of fiction I would never have known about and from time to time I give myself a reading exercise to find out what some of the most read are like.
My home delivery readers are mostly older women. Many want to read romances, quite a few like light
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"Alexandra (Barney) Barnaby roars onto the Miami Beach scene in hot pursuit of her missing baby brother, "Wild" Bill. Leave it to the maverick of the family to get Barney involved with high-speed car chases, a search for sunken treasure, and Sam Hooker, a NASCAR driver who's good at revving a woman's engine.

Engaged in a deadly race, Bill has "borrowed" Hooker's sixty-five-foot Hatteras and sailed off into the sunset...just when Hooker has plans for the boat. Hooker figures he'll attach hi
LJ
METRO GIRL (Amateur Sleuth-Florida-Cont) – G
Janet Evanovich – Standalone
Harper Collins, 2004- Hardcover
Alexandra Barnaby receives an alarming late night call from her brother that’s cut off mid-conversation with a woman’s scream in the background. She files to Miami to find her brother, and hooks up with NASCAR driver Sam Hooker, whose boat her brother has taken. Together they are trying to outrun the bad guys to find her brother, a boat, a cache of gold and a mysterious canister.
*** In some way
Jamieson
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Janet Evanovich is best known for her Stephanie Plum series (“One for the Money”, “Two For the Doe”, “Three To Get Deadly”, etc) featuring Stephanie Plum: A so-so bounty hunter with big hair, a big mouth and a gun. Each of the novels has rocketed to the New York Times Best Seller List and has made her a publishing phenomenon. The books are laugh out loud funny and Evanovich has amassed herself quite the loyal fan base. Myself included.

I for one love her Stephanie Plum novels, so I was extremely
C
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
I read this while waiting for Lean Mean 13 to become available at my local library. I was disappointed to find that the characters and premise were very similar to the Stephanie Plum series; I would go so far as to say that Metro Girl is just Plum-lite, the only difference being that while I love Stephanie, I find Barney barely tolerable.

In spite of the similarities and the annoying protagonist, you're better off reading this than either of the "between-the-numbers" books.
Dagny
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evanovich-janet
Too many coincidences. Unbelievable scrapes and escapes. Even the characters can't believe what's happening. "I'm awake, right? This is real?" Loads of fun to read!

After being put off by the title for years, I finally decided to read this book after spotting it on sale. No way I could like it anywhere near as much as Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Wrong. Not only were there plenty of laughs, but more suspense than seemed possible given the improbable goings-on. The last half of the book is a
Just - The romance reader
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I can tell this will be the first of many Janet Evanovich novels for me. Chick-lit mixed with a good mystery and lots of action, Metro Girl was truly entertaining. Alex "Barney" Barnaby and Sam Hooker make quite the pair, thrown together for very different reasons, both are in search of Barney's missing brother Wild Bill. They go on a dangerous adventure with lots of chaos and drama, while the Nascar driving Hooker tries to steal Barney's heart.
Bark
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, romance
I listened to this on my Ipod while cooking and cleaning various messes around my house. I thought it was very similar in style to the Plumb books.

This time around the heroine is Barney, a blond gal who grew up around mechanics. Her love interest is a blond Nascar driver who thinks he's just the hottest thing ever. The two meet and pair up when Barney's brother goes missing. It was very cute, light and fluffy and just the thing to distract me from the grossities that I must clean up.
Glass
Jul 25, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: suspense, romance
DNF
Ankita Singh
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how Janet's books always, ALWAYS make me laugh. She has a knack for narrating the most serious situations in a way that makes you chuckle.
Julie Burns
Sep 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I couldn't finish this book. I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series and maybe my expectations were set too high, but I thought Metro Girl was too fluffy. I had no desire to stick with it and wished Evanovich would simply get back to her primary series.
Anita H
Aug 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
I really enjoy Janet Evanocich. Her Stephanie Plum novels are a fun, put your mind on hold, good time. This book, however, was beyond stupid. It was so dumb that I was mad at myself for taking time out of my day to read it.
Laurie Hanan
Jul 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book was a disappointment, even from Evanovich.
This is one that I want to re-read. It's been a few years now and when I think back to the elements of it - I really enjoyed the ride.(HA! I made a funny!)
Megan (BookWifeReviews)
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Okay so here the thing... I married into a racing family. Not nascar but like cross country racing. So I literally have to listen to car talk every single day of my life... and don't even get me started on the about of car talk I have to deal with during the holidays! I hate cars. I hate talking about cars. I especially hate NASCAR. I knew going into this book that the MC was a NASCAR driver. So that's on me. But he was so annoying about it. He brought it up in every other conversation. I unders ...more
Deirdre
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This heroine is a bit different than Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, but still as perky and sharp. Alexandra "Barney" Barnaby knows how to fix cars, how to race stock cars, and is the older sister of Bill, her younger brother. Wild Bill, who gets himself in trouble without even trying. This time Wild Bill has disappeared and Barney has to go to Florida to find him and save him from whatever dilemma he has fallen into. This is where all the fun and adventure begin, with many characters including a dr ...more
Anita
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always listen to the audio books of Janet Evanovich. They always make me laugh. This one was not her Stephanie Plum series. When I first heard it I didn't like it. However, after just a little while I was laughing out loud in the car. The characters were fun, the reader was excellent and I really enjoyed this book. I'm hoping she makes a series out of Metro Girl!! And I truly hope that NASCAR guy is in it.

I know it was a good book because when I got in the car this morning I was very disappoin
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
It was okay. Felt very recycled. At least Alex isn’t as dumb as Stephanie.

Hooker was a hoot. I actually lol. I think this is the first JE book to make me do that.

Still, my mind wandered a lot while listening and I had no interest in rewinding to figure out what I missed.

The editing on the audiobook was bad. There were long pauses.

Anyway, I read spoilers on next book and won’t be reading. JE is a fan of cheating. I’m not.
Trude KN
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook version of this book. I’ve read the Plum series more than once, but this book was just disappointing. And sexist. And boring. It lacks the redeeming qualities that the Plum books have. I didn’t feel much for either Alex Barnaby or NASCAR guy. They were both mostly annoying. The mystery itself was a bit meh, and the ending was more action movie than book.
Sally
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It was written by Janet Evanovich, that was enough for me. But it was new characters and fun. So glad I picked it up.
Janet Evanovich B...: Motor Mouth Movie 1 20 Feb 12, 2013 03:57PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Metro Girl 2 4 Nov 26, 2012 06:41PM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:29PM

• Full House (Full #1)
  • Hero at Large
  • Foul Play
  • Top Secret Twenty-One: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich - Review Summary
  • Takedown Twenty: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich -- Review
  • every crooked nanny
  • Four to Score by Janet Evanovich Summary & Study Guide
  • Amish Hideout (Amish Witness Protection #1)
  • Submarine U93
  • Long Walk To The Sun (Jock Miles WW2 Adventure, #1)
  • Our Stolen Pieces (North and Martin Abduction Mystery, #1)
  • Plain Secrets (Willow Trace, #1)
  • Take Warning: A Victor Loshak Novella
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • The Sweet Spot
  • How To Borrow Books From Public Library On Kindle: Step By Step Guide On How To Borrow Books From Public Library To Kindle e-reader, Fire tablet or Kindle App Through Overdrive With 2020 Screenshots
  • 8 Bodies is Enough (Body Movers, #8)

Alex Barnaby (4 books)
  • Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby #2)
  • Troublemaker (Alex Barnaby #3)
  • Troublemaker 2 (Alex Barnaby #4)