Start by marking “Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)

Metro Girl

(Alex Barnaby #1)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  30,037 ratings  ·  1,224 reviews
Buckle your seat belts. Number one New York Times bestselling author, Janet Evanovich, is moving into the fast lane with Metro Girl, a thrilling, high-octane misadventure with high stakes, hot nights, cold-blooded murder, sunken treasure, a woman with a chassis built for speed, and one very good, very sexy NASCAR driver who’s along for the ride.

"Wild" Bill Barnaby's dropp
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Metro Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metro Girl

·  30,037 ratings  ·  1,224 reviews

Tiffany PSquared
A Baltimore-born tomboy joins forces with a NASCAR track star in south Florida to outwit a South American heavy bent on delivering a deadly nerve agent to the Russians.

Oh, and there's sunken treasure, gun-wielding females with hand-rolled cigars, Wild Bill the red-haired boat thief, bouncing banana-hammocks, and a possibly gay rainbow-collared schnauzer named Brian.

Metro Girl is a perfect beach read - it's fast, funny, and just on the other side of making any sense whatsoever. If you already lov
Parisa
Feb 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I'm sorry, Janet. But seriously. This book was filled with exactly the same characters as the Plum series, but they had different names. Come on. I liked the Plum series for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want to read it over and over again under the pretense of it being a new story with new people.
Antof9
Having just read A Thousand Acres, I needed something "lite", and this perfectly fit the bill. I found it fun and silly, and some of the writing was quite clever. Calling Hooker "NASCAR guy" was genius. Judey was a little bit of a characature, but the lines about him having "two eyebrows" made me LOL.

One of the things I liked was all the pop culture references. I've often found things like that missing in the Sue Grafton "alphabet series" (it's ok though; that's an older series -- I just find th
Erin
I'm calling this done.

I've still got about 40 minutes of listening left in the audiobook, but as the minutes wind down at work on this Christmas Eve, I don't know if I'll finish it before they release us. And frankly, at this moment I don't care if I finish it or not. I kind of just want to stop.

This book is dumb.
I never cared about any of the characters, the plot is weak and absolutely absurd (She also apparently doesn't have a clue about owning boats in Cuba... and how people DON'T. Because th
Marla
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the hardcover, large print edition of this, which I point out because it got really funny around pages 280/300. As usual for a Janet Evanovich book one of the characters was driving a Porsche, it was not however a Cayenne or a Turbo(gasp!), but they did mention they were thinking of upgrading to a Turbo so there's that. =P There was also a Mini Cooper which I believe Stephanie drove at one point in her books. =)

This takes place in Miami and I couldn't help but think they needed to get in
Heather
This was a lot of fun to read. I'd been told that these weren't as good as the Stephanie Plum novels so I was delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It almost read like a Carl Hiaasen novel; mostly owing to the south Florida setting and odd ball characters. Some of the action in the book was a little preposterous at times but nowhere near the almost unbelievable level of a Plum book. Overall a solid story with enough suspense that had me reading it all in one sitting. Just the summer r ...more
Alexw
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun, easy read which is what I needed during the Holiday Season. Not as good as her Stephanie Plum series which has more belly laughs but a good, fast paced thriller.
Lynn
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this and really liked it. I liked the characters and the story line. I like Evanovich. Love the Plum series, and this is my second favorite!
Lyn Elliott
Once a month I choose books for our library to send out to people who can’t make it there to choose their own. And I spend my Friday mornings working in our community second hand bookshop.
Between these two volunteer jobs I’ve learned about whole realms of fiction I would never have known about and from time to time I give myself a reading exercise to find out what some of the most read are like.
My home delivery readers are mostly older women. Many want to read romances, quite a few like light
Jamieson
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Janet Evanovich is best known for her Stephanie Plum series (“One for the Money”, “Two For the Doe”, “Three To Get Deadly”, etc) featuring Stephanie Plum: A so-so bounty hunter with big hair, a big mouth and a gun. Each of the novels has rocketed to the New York Times Best Seller List and has made her a publishing phenomenon. The books are laugh out loud funny and Evanovich has amassed herself quite the loyal fan base. Myself included.

I for one love her Stephanie Plum novels, so I was extremely
C
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
I read this while waiting for Lean Mean 13 to become available at my local library. I was disappointed to find that the characters and premise were very similar to the Stephanie Plum series; I would go so far as to say that Metro Girl is just Plum-lite, the only difference being that while I love Stephanie, I find Barney barely tolerable.

In spite of the similarities and the annoying protagonist, you're better off reading this than either of the "between-the-numbers" books.
Dagny
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evanovich-janet
Too many coincidences. Unbelievable scrapes and escapes. Even the characters can't believe what's happening. "I'm awake, right? This is real?" Loads of fun to read!

After being put off by the title for years, I finally decided to read this book after spotting it on sale. No way I could like it anywhere near as much as Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Wrong. Not only were there plenty of laughs, but more suspense than seemed possible given the improbable goings-on. The last half of the book is a
Just - The romance reader
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I can tell this will be the first of many Janet Evanovich novels for me. Chick-lit mixed with a good mystery and lots of action, Metro Girl was truly entertaining. Alex "Barney" Barnaby and Sam Hooker make quite the pair, thrown together for very different reasons, both are in search of Barney's missing brother Wild Bill. They go on a dangerous adventure with lots of chaos and drama, while the Nascar driving Hooker tries to steal Barney's heart.
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
I listened to this on my Ipod while cooking and cleaning various messes around my house. I thought it was very similar in style to the Plumb books.

This time around the heroine is Barney, a blond gal who grew up around mechanics. Her love interest is a blond Nascar driver who thinks he's just the hottest thing ever. The two meet and pair up when Barney's brother goes missing. It was very cute, light and fluffy and just the thing to distract me from the grossities that I must clean up.
Glass
Jul 25, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: romance, suspense
DNF
Anita H
Aug 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
I really enjoy Janet Evanocich. Her Stephanie Plum novels are a fun, put your mind on hold, good time. This book, however, was beyond stupid. It was so dumb that I was mad at myself for taking time out of my day to read it.
Julie Burns
Sep 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I couldn't finish this book. I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series and maybe my expectations were set too high, but I thought Metro Girl was too fluffy. I had no desire to stick with it and wished Evanovich would simply get back to her primary series.
Laurie Hanan
Jul 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book was a disappointment, even from Evanovich.
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Love Janet Evanovich! No deep thinking or blood and guts, just plain entertainment.
This is one that I want to re-read. It's been a few years now and when I think back to the elements of it - I really enjoyed the ride.(HA! I made a funny!)
Erin
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very Funny, Laughed Out Loud Many Times Reading This Book.
Megan
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Okay so here the thing... I married into a racing family. Not nascar but like cross country racing. So I literally have to listen to car talk every single day of my life... and don't even get me started on the about of car talk I have to deal with during the holidays! I hate cars. I hate talking about cars. I especially hate NASCAR. I knew going into this book that the MC was a NASCAR driver. So that's on me. But he was so annoying about it. He brought it up in every other conversation. I unders ...more
Deirdre
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This heroine is a bit different than Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, but still as perky and sharp. Alexandra "Barney" Barnaby knows how to fix cars, how to race stock cars, and is the older sister of Bill, her younger brother. Wild Bill, who gets himself in trouble without even trying. This time Wild Bill has disappeared and Barney has to go to Florida to find him and save him from whatever dilemma he has fallen into. This is where all the fun and adventure begin, with many characters including a dr ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
It was okay. Felt very recycled. At least Alex isn’t as dumb as Stephanie.

Hooker was a hoot. I actually lol. I think this is the first JE book to make me do that.

Still, my mind wandered a lot while listening and I had no interest in rewinding to figure out what I missed.

The editing on the audiobook was bad. There were long pauses.

Anyway, I read spoilers on next book and won’t be reading. JE is a fan of cheating. I’m not.
Tom
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
It actually did get better when I decided to just read it for what it was. Although if he called himself NASCAR Guy one more time I was going to throw the book across the room.
Sally
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It was written by Janet Evanovich, that was enough for me. But it was new characters and fun. So glad I picked it up.
Janice
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
ok so maybe Janet Evanovich books are not serious literature, but they are fun to read and I like that the main character is a quirky female
Alicia Prevost
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read a Janet Evanovich book years ago...and didn't enjoy it so have avoided her ever since but...I found this book and I felt like something with a little bit of a racing flare so...I figured I'd give her a second chance.

And I just don't like her writing.

This book was just...it was too much, way too much. Like half way through and I was already tired of all the drama and wondering why they didn't just take what they had to the police and go home because they were just being dumb. Honestly, tha
Taylor P
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh my god. I feel awful after reading this book.

I was given this book for free and figured I had never much dabbled in the beach trash novel and believe I owed it to the genre to give it an honest shot.

Popular author. Story set in Florida, so cue beautiful beach scenes. It's going to be an easy to read, fun novel. Right?

Dear Jesus. This book has not aged well since its 2004 publishing date. Besides the references to NASCAR and Britney Spears that are just straight up irrelevant, the blatant at
Sarah Gonalez
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Metro Girl was a mystery that turned out to be a comedy at the same time. It's about a woman named Alexandra Barnaby who is in search of her lost brother, Bill. While in her search, she's accompanied by an arrogant, egotistic, and at the samae time Handsome race car driver in search of his missing boat. Both characters scope out different people in this long search for Bill. As the story precedes and they learn more and more about the situation her brother is involved and without even knowing in ...more
Janet Evanovich B...: Motor Mouth Movie 1 20 Feb 12, 2013 03:57PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Metro Girl 2 4 Nov 26, 2012 06:41PM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:29PM
  • Full House (Full #1)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • 4 Bodies and a Funeral (Body Movers, #4)
  • Agnes and the Hitman
  • Calamity Jayne Rides Again (Calamity Jayne, #2)
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Mayhem in High Heels (High Heels, #5)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • Maggie Without A Clue (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #3)

Alex Barnaby (4 books)
  • Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby #2)
  • Troublemaker (Alex Barnaby #3)
  • Troublemaker 2 (Alex Barnaby #4)
“Just because i know how to change a guys oil doesn't mean i want to spend the rest of my life on my back, staring up his undercarriage.” 40 likes