Start by marking “The Land That Time Forgot Collection (Caspak #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Land That Time Forgot Collection (Caspak #1-3)

The Land That Time Forgot Collection (Caspak #1-3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  7,238 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Language: English
Initials: yes
Separate Chapters: yes
Superior Kindle Formatting: yes
Interactive Table of Contents: yes
Lending Allowed: yes

The novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs in one collection with active table of contents. Works include:
The Land That Time Forgot, The People That Time Forgot, Out of Time's Abyss
Published March 1st 1999 by Bison Books (first published 1918)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
This is the Omnibus Version of Edgar Rice Burrough's (ERB) Caspakian Novels. Included here are:

The Land That Time Forgot

The People That Time Forgot

Out of Time's Abyss

These are three novels of adventure told in a classic style similar to that of Jack London, Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells. This is a style of early in the last century and more like the century before it. It's a story that is narrated to us, rather than painted so that we can experience it. And it's full of adventure, love, cour
Leo .
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timeless!
Kat  Hooper
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

You gotta love Edgar Rice Burroughs. He underperformed in life until, as a pencil sharpener salesman who spent his free time reading pulp magazines, he figured he could be paid to write “rot” at least as good as the “rot” he read in the pulps. And thus started the illustrious career of the man who brought us Tarzan, John Carter, and David Innes… And who inspired a generation of fantasy and science fiction writers.

The Land that Time Forgot, a lost world sto
Kerian Halcyon
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Old fashioned readers, adventure novel lovers
Normally I wouldn't count this as 'read' seeing as I listened to it via Librivox's audio recordings, but I thought I'd do a review of this nonetheless. Though this rating is low compared to what I normally like to read or listen to, The Land That Time Forgot and its two sister novels are part of a dying genre of books that largely fascinate me to no end, and honestly to me mimics the sad truth of a dying interest in the mysteries of our planet and nearby solar system. It's part of the American h ...more
Kathryn
The Caspak trilogy, comprising The Land that Time Forgot, The People that Time Forgot, and Out of Time's Abyss, is classic Edgar Rice Burroughs adventure. The three stories trace the adventures of three typical Burroughs heroes (two Americans and an Englishman, all three wondrously brave man's men who get tongue-tied around pretty women) in the land of Caspak, a Lost World teeming with primordial life.

It is Burroughs, so you do have to turn off your 21st-century sensibilities to some extent. Tha
Karen
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edgar Rice Burroughs is quickly becoming a part of my Authors-I-Regularly-Take-Promenades-With club. His creations are the stuff dreams are made of--if you're lucky and have awesome dreams. This is the first book in the Caspak series, which made its appearance in three installments in the Blue Book Magazine in 1918. I seem to particularly enjoy novels that are stories within stories. For instance, in "Land", a man tells us about how he found a message in a bottle. He proceeds to show us the manu ...more
MB Taylor
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun adventure from Edgar Rice Burroughs fairly early in his career (1918). It's really 3 adventures in one, and when Ace reprinted it/them in the 60s, it was as three books: The Land That Time Forgot, The People That Time Forgot and Out of Time's Abyss.

I'm sure I read these sometime in the 70s; I remember buying up almost any ERB books I could find and at that time Ace seemed like it was trying to get everything Burroughs wrote into print. It was a good time to be a fan.

The story is pretty typic
Brian Rogers
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had planned to read one book in this series one at a time with things in between but Burroughs is such a damn engaging storyteller that once I built up momentum in book 1, well, book 2 was just sitting there. so I'll do a second review of the compiled set.

The first book in the series, "Land that Time Forgot", grew on me as I read the other two in the series - they all tie together with different characters in overlapping frames in the timeline, and stuff from the first book pays off handsomely
k.wing
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh man, I love Burroughs. Some terms and musings of Bowen are, regrettably, outdated, but I looked past those to enjoy this awesome adventure. I love the concept of seeing man evolve from tribe to tribe.

Can't wait to read the second one!

Also this. Major LOL. “Californians, as a rule, are familiar with ju-jutsu, and I especially had made a study of it for several years, both at school and in the gym of the Los Angeles Athletic Club, while recently I had had, in my employ, a Jap who was a wonder
Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, sci-fi
This is actually the narrative of Bowen J. Tyler and his adventures and mis-adventures in the strange land of Caprona.
It starts with Tyler, an American being a passenger on a ship in the English Channel, this is during World War I and unfortunately the ship is torpedoed by a German submarine called U-33. After the ship is sunk Tyler and one other passenger Lys La Rue are rescued by a British tug boat..... alot occurs here, the tug boat is sunk, the crew captures the sub, the sub is overcome by
Elar
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Three different stories bound together by same mystic land of strange human races and many action packed quests. For me first thing what came to mind was that it is like Jules Verne writing Ringworld novel :P and Burroughs likes the idea of human hatching :).
Tweety
3 1/2

The People that Time Forgot was the best of them, and the last page of Out Of Time's Abyss was also great. But the entire time I read the book I kept seeing Plastic Dinosaurs. Maybe because my copy has pictures from the movie that look super fake?

Anyway, in this case I can definitely say nostalgia didn't prove true and the cover was better that the book it's self. The only one I'd reread it the middle one. On a whole not bad, but not Tarzan great either.

PG Some killing of beasts and peop
Phillip
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
The Caspak books, now those bring back some memories. Caspak is a lost world. Our hero has stumbled onto it (I think by submarine). The concept is that the further the hero travels in a certain direction the more or less evolved all of the creatures are. The action is a fight for survival as the hero encounters dinosaurs and cavemen.

This is everything a growing boy needed in the 1970s, possibly for current generations as well. I don't know. My son liked them.
Kris
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Burroughs's love of evolution shines through in this fast tale filled with constant danger, romantic deeds, and heroic escapes. All the characters get out of all the scrapes just in the nick of time, and they sail away after coincidentally finding everything they need. Even the timeline towards the end seemed a little dubious. It's showy and flashy and exciting, but take away the setting, and what have you got? Boring people.

Between the constant reminder of the dangerous, ferocious, huge animal
Courtney
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Land That Time Forgot felt so brief to me! I expected it to be longer; I feel like it was over in 10 minutes. But, I really enjoyed it. Caspak is so full of life, literally teeming, and the land is so curious. I like the way that it is narrated, there is no dramatic irony, you learn things about the land at the same time as the narrator, Bowen, does. This was nice, it encouraged curiosity and wonder and a feeling of camaraderie with Bowen. I like the strange worldview of the people who live ...more
bup
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, 2012, novella
A second or third-grader would love this - there's non-stop action, and not much thought behind the world Burroughs created here, except as was driven by the thought "What would a second or third grader find exciting!?"

Make no mistake, I love me some prehistoric life, and I don't mind the cold-blooded lizardy version of dinosaurs that ruled thought at the time Burroughs wrote, but there's like 25 big dinos per acre! All carnivores!

The book isn't satisfying on its own, either - it's so clearly se
Danna
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it
"There were all sorts and conditions of horrible things; huge, hideous, grotesque monsters...I had perhaps the fraction of a second longer to live when I heard an angry growl behind us mingle with a cry of pain and rage from the giant..." Classic pulp fiction! What Land of the Lost aspired to be! Hilariously fun!!! Like an action-adventure popcorn movie! Mine is the 1924 Grosset & Dunlap edition, stained and worn with the cover half falling off; not the Commemorative Edition shown here. Ther ...more
Ian
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is THE book
David Lever
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some of my fondest memories as a youth are those I spent reading Edgar Rice Burroughs. This was the first book of his I read. I think I went on to read his entire collection.
Patrick Nichol
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story. i finally got round to reading it and it is certainly much better than the Doug McLure movie from the '70s. Talk about high action and excellent writing.
Diana Iozzia
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Land That Time Forgot"
Review written by Diana Iozzia

I hadn’t known much about this trilogy before I had picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble (a year ago). I decided to read it this past week, because I absolutely love science fiction, but I don’t read it often enough. I was much more impressed with this than I thought. With this being a series of three stories from the 1910s decade, I expected verbose, beautiful imagery and descriptive narratives. I did not realize I would be able to read s
Michael Battaglia
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Because part of me is perpetually ten years old, I will always be a sucker for "Lost World" type novels, all those stories of people winding up on remote islands or lost continents or hidden sections of the Arctic and finding a land full of extinct creatures, especially dinosaurs, who make everything better simply by being large and scaly and awesome in a way that mythological creatures so rarely are.

For me, the better examples of this sub-genre of pseudo-science adventure are the ones written i
Quicksilver Quill
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Caspak trilogy is a wonderful work by Edgar Rice Burroughs comprised of three short novels, all set on an unforgettable island called Caprona, also known as Caspak. These tales overlap with each other and have interconnecting characters and threads, but are also somewhat distinct, each told in its own style and from its own unique perspective.

The Land That Time Forgot

The Land That Time Forgot, the first book in the trilogy, is an Edgar Rice Burroughs masterpiece. In this extraordinary adven
John
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: omnibus
THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT:
Surprisingly, this novel works best in its initial chapters, before the characters reach dinosaur island. Once they finally do, things take an abrupt turn for the campy. Charles Darwin certainly didn't do this book any favors, as evolution is the driving force behind what makes much of this story both silly an inherently racist. Burroughs obviously believed that whites were the most evolved people on the planet, while blacks had barely come down from the trees. I normal
Julie Davis
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm listening to The Fantastic Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs podcast readings by David Stifel. Truly marvelous narration, I must say. The book is somewhat less marvelous, being rather simple with a protagonist who can't read people worth a darn.

However, I am sure that in its day this book was very exciting and I myself was somewhat intrigued by the "evolutionary" setup of human development that seemed to be played out in front of us once our heroes were stranded on the island of dinos. Unfortun
Avital Gertner-Samet
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Torpedoed by the Germans during ww1 Bowen had been stranded together w/ some of his men, Alyssa and a few imprisoned Germans on a submarine Bowen had designed and built. After experiencing many adventures at sea they finally reach an hidden continent, in which, as the name suggests, time seemed to have ceased. In this lush and prolific land there are dinosaurs, apes and other Neanderthals in different stages of evolution. How would this unconventional group if people cope with the challenges of ...more
Ali Mandala
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Land that Time Forgot: I really enjoyed this book. It was surreal and yet told in such a way that I was able to suspend my disbelief. Although in the beginning there were a few difficult moments where it just seemed like the character had the worst luck in history. That being said, it did serve a purpose and get us to this lost world. I really enjoyed the characters especially the main character. He had a wonderful voice and presence and was able to bring the other characters and the scenery ...more
Jsmith1000
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book onto my iPhone via the iBooks app (because there is a boatload of stuff that is free on there, and that's my favorite price). Anyway. GREAT book, incredible story, and very fast/enthralling.

I hadn't realized what a compelling writer Burroughs was; I found this book in my favorite way (which is to just have one sorta 'fall' on you). I opened it and could not put it down.

Scenario takes place in the ocean, mid-WWI activity. Without divulging too much of the story, group of f
Darrell Nelson
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Although the characters struggle to become two dimensional, the pacing, action and ideas drive this book and make it hard to put down.
One thing I found slightly offputting was the 1920s racism that ran through the book. I had to remind myself that it was written at a different time.
Other than that, it holds by well for being 90 years old.
Tonya
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook from LibriVox. (LibriVox provides free audiobooks from the public domain. http://librivox.org)

Classic adventure pulp from the man who gave us Tarzan. A highly entertaining escape from the work day. :)
Goodreads Feedback: 'read this book' incorrect link 4 27 Jul 23, 2012 09:06AM
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Conan the Warrior (Book 7)
  • The First Men in the Moon
  • The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage, #1)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 4: Frontline (Spinward Fringe, #4)
  • Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)
  • The Two (January David #2)
  • Dinotopia Lost
  • Colossus and the Crab
  • King Kong
  • Conan the Buccaneer (Conan, #6)
  • The Underground City (Extraordinary Voyages, #16)
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs : Master of Adventure
  • Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)
  • The Cool War
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
  • The Skylark of Space (Skylark #1)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs

Caspak (4 books)
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
  • Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)
  • La tierra olvidada por el tiempo (Caspak, #1-3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You are here for but an instant, and you mustn't take yourself too seriously” 34 likes
“I had had to discard my rifle” 2 likes