Start by marking “Back to the Bedroom (Elsie Hawkins #1)” as Want to Read:
Back to the Bedroom (Elsie Hawkins #1)

Back to the Bedroom

(Elsie Hawkins #1)

From the #1 "New York Times" bestselling creator of the Stephanie Plum series comes a revised, repackaged classic novel involving a driven redheaded musician, a sexy slacker, love at first sight, a lovable gun-toting granny, suspicious neighbors, and a thrilling mystery.

For months he'd thought of her as the Mystery Woman, draped in a black velvet cloak, with outrageous red
Mass Market Paperback, 234 pages
Published February 25th 2014 by Harper (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Bedroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Bedroom

Marianne
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Back To The Bedroom is a pre-Plum novel by popular American author, Janet Evanovich. It is the first book in the Elsie Hawkins series, on whom, Evanovich says, Grandma Mazur was modelled. Dave Dodd has been watching his busy, energetic neighbour come and go for a while: always in a hurry, keeping erratic hours, wearing a long black coat and lugging a large, oddly shaped metal case on wheels. When something really big falls from the sky and crashes through her roof, he jumps to the rescue.

Katie
Leslie
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Because it was there and I needed a laugh. :)
Everyday
Oct 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
I feel compelled to read all Evanovich novels. Once again, these romance novels that were written before the days of Stephanie Plum are terrible. I don't know why I continue to do this to myself. If you've considered picking one up, don't. I can sum all of them up for you......feisty (usually redhead or blonde with ringlet curls), independent and strong-willed female stumbles across incredibly gorgeous hunk of a man who sees her and is instantly madly in love. She pushes him off repeatedly (but ...more
JBradford
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
This was another one-day read, when I had too many other things I should have been doing instead. I am very fond of Janet Evanovich’s books, which is one of the few things that JoanEllen & I disagree on. It is light reading, but always fun. This one is not part of the Stephanie Plum series; instead, it is a standalone novel about a too-tight lady cello player, Katherine Finn, who meets the lazy bum living in the next house when an object falls out of the sky and crashes through her roof, and ...more
So, I Read This Book Today
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
OK, this is just undeniably cute and clever

I have been an Evanovich fan for a long time. Her stories are strong, well written, and have women characters that are realistic. They have trouble with money, men, jobs, all those things that the rest of us have problems with. Her books are side splittingly funny, and contain the occassional explosion. Hey, who can't love a woman who blows things up?

This is a very early work, and shows how Janet got her start. I won't go over the story line, as it is q
Barbara ★
And yet another cute romance from Janet Evanovich. Though I will admit that ditsy Kate got on my nerves after a while but laid-back David was the perfect match for her
Elease
Dec 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book should have been titled, "Back to the Drawing Board". This should have been remastered with the addition of a real plot! I happened to pick this up because someone had kindly (or not) left it in our rental unit and I was bored and decided to see what all of the Janet Evonovich fuss was about (I see lots of ladies in the airport reading these books and laughing hysterically). Clearly, those ladies were not reading THIS book. Within the first page the book could have been finished; lady ...more
Jintana
ชอบแทบทุกเรืองของ Janet Evanovich ตังแตซีรีส Stephanie Plum กติดตามอานของนักเขียนทานนีตลอด ชอบอารมณขันของผูเขียนทีถายทอดมาสูเนือเรืองและตัวละคร แมวาบางครังจะดูไมคอย make sense แตกตลกฮาแบบไมตองคิดอะไรมาก

เรืองนี Janet เขียนกอนซีรีส Plum เปนโรแมนติด-คอเมดีนารัก ๆ อีกเรือง

นางเอกเปนนักดนตรีเลนเชลโลทีทำทุกอยางรีบเรงตังแตตืนลืมตายันหลับตา สวนพระเอกกวางวางวัน ๆ อานแตการตูนไมทำงานทำการเพราะดันโชคดีถูกลอตเตอรีรางวัลทีหนึง ทังสองคนดูเหมือนไมนาจะเขากันไดเลยเพราะคนหนึงกซีเรียสอีกคนกชิลเหลือเกิน

โชคชะตามาพบกั
Jessica
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Two books in a row from this author, both main women are curly red heads with green eyes and male leads have dark hair dark eyes, and in both books there are men breaking into houses and the MC gets 'kidnapped' in some way shape or form. This MC was a little annoying in her constant back and forth, but who here hasn't gone overboard overthinking something in their heads? Elsie is definitely the shining star in these stories. Evanovich has a knack for witty and humorous dialogue to keep you enter ...more
Alana
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Super Cute!
I listened to the audio read by CJ Critt.
A really cute love story between two neighbors, Kate the Cellist, and David, the comic reading, toy loving, lotto winner. The story begins with a crash through Kates roof that lands onto her bed, ruining her new comforter.
David falls for her instantly, but she fights her feeling having just recently ended her marriage to a fellow musician, Anitol the oboist.

I highly reccomend listening to the audio. CJ Critt makes the book super fun to listen
Susan
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
laughed out loud so hard and long at the car repair place, everyone wanted to know what I was reading

For example, here are several quotes I saved (I collect them for rainy days...):

"Just because we're engaged doesn't mean you can take liberties."
"Too late. I've already taken all your liberties.."

And "it's hard to think straight when you're filling me with all your glory."

If you like this non-gross but very light-hearted banter, you will like this book.
I clearly did. Thanks, JE
Courtnie
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, romance
This is exactly what you'd expect it to be. Early Evanovich, pre-Plum, where she is really working out some signature aspects of her writing that will make her the best-selling author that she is today. Sometimes you need something predictable, and that's what I wanted when I picked this up. Wacky, silly fluff - enjoyable for a Sunday afternoon at the park while watching the kids play.

(I feel the need to add that I'm watching my kids play - not random kids. Thanks)
Kristine
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
The main character upset me in this book, because she couldn't see real love when it was right before her eyes. David, the next door neighbor who had fallen in love with her, treated her like a queen, but all she gave him in return was a bad attitude and smart remarks. Finally, she realizes that love doesn't have to look and act a certain way. Thankfully she isn't too late.
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Cute love story! One if the few that I have read by Janet Evanovich with dual first-person perspective. I love hearing the thoughts of the hero and heroine. Wouldn't it be great to hear the thoughts of Ranger and Morelli in the Stephanie Plum novels?
Cynthia
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: contmp-chk-lit
***3.5*** This is a really cute read but I would have liked to see more character development with Dave. I would have liked to know about his past.
Melissa Spears
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We see Grandma Mazures prototype in this fun quirky book! I am not sure how I missed this classic Evanovich? I enjoyed this book because it showed her young unpolished writing!
Judy Collins
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am a huge Stephanie Plum fan and have not do not like the Full series nearly as well. Not as funny and a little boring. It was OK, but would not recommend.

Kim
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like many others feel compelled to read all Janet Evenoviches books. I don't know why I do it.
Mousie Cardenas
It was pretty good. But why did she think her basement exploded?
Jana K.
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes another good one!

I thought that I had read all of Janet Evanovich's backlist. I was wrong. And not disappointed by this earlier book.
Maureen Rae
Sep 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Boring plot, boring characters, boring book. Not at all like her Stephanie Plum series.
Susan
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of romantic comedies
I read Back to the Bedroom by Janet Evanovich, the author of the Stephanie Plum series. This is one of Janet's earlier books - one of a string of romantic comedies that were re-released by HarperCollins. The interesting fact about this book is that Elsie Hawkins is introduced and Elsie is the prototype for the future Grandma Mazur in the Stephanie Plum series. Both Elsie and Grandma Mazur are great characters and basically steal the show throughout the books. The other interesting thing about th ...more
Carly
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
So a friend of my mom's gave this to us to read while we traveled across the country to entertain ourselves. It was entertaining and cute, like a Hallmark movie, which I absolutely adore for their contrived and awkward plots. If you're into quick, light on plot, romance novels, Back to the Bedroom is definitely for you.
I feel bad for giving it only a 2-star rating but there was no It-was-cute-for-what-it-was rating which would land somewhere between the 2-star and 3-star ratings. I've just read
Dorothy L Lee
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laughter should never feel this good.

As in all her books, It was an entertaining and delightfull read ,and funny, Her characters are real people with all the quirks we have. I started with her PLUM series and have never found them dull. I finally branched out to her others and have never been disappointed.. My only problem is there too short, kidding, my reading time on her books is usually two days, shorter if I don't go to work.
Kristal
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This was fun and easy read. It was perfect timing for me to read because the last few book I read were dark mysteries and heavy dramas. The only problem I have with this book (and most of the rom-com genre) is how quickly the two main characters fell in love with each other. They go from being neighbors that never speak to each other to being in head over heels in love over like 24 hours. Even a sentence here and there saying that a month had passed and I would have been good.
Barbara
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Discovered I had not read this old Evanovich book. Enjoy all her Stephanie Plum books for a quick, light read. It was written before the time of Plum and in the author's words, this romance novel is 'screwball comedy'. It introduces Elsie Hawkins, who is the prototype for Grandma Mazur in the Plum books as well as Kate Finn who is very much like Stephanie. It's a one-day-read type book. Cute!
Lisa
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This cute story starts out with David Dodd watching his neighbor in her long, black coat and wondering what's underneath it. When a part from a helicopter falls through her roof, he offers his home to her. Through lots of ups and downs; they finally fall in love (although they are totally different in personalities!) A fun story that ends with four black kittens.
dora spira
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Fantastic every emotion you could have!

Great book first I've read I used to listen to her Plum Serious while driving to and from work there were the best and the person she had so the audio is the Best but reading one of her books instead of listening is just as good . In to my next book. Thank You
Katie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Why did I read this? I saw that there was a new Stephanie Plum book. I put a hold on it & this popped up & I needed something light that required no thinking. This was it. I would not recommend this to anyone.
Joan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-z-2017
This was a fun easy to listen to/ read book. Lots of laugh, a little tension and a whole lot of interesting situations that happen to the couple as they start their relationship.
Light hearted and a good read.
Back to the bedroom 5 25 May 15, 2013 03:43PM
  • Hero at Large
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • A New Attitude
  • Summer Lovin’ (Costas Sisters #2)
  • Trust Me on This
  • Baby, Don't Go
  • The Red Hot Cajun (Cajun, #4)
  • Bubbles All The Way (Bubbles Yablonsky, #6)
  • Stand-in Groom

Elsie Hawkins (4 books)
  • Smitten (Elsie Hawkins #2)
  • Wife for Hire (Elsie Hawkins #3)
  • The Rocky Road to Romance (Elsie Hawkins #4)
“Howie's doctor told him to lose ten pounds, and since Howie's been on a diet he's gained three.” 7 likes
“You don’t know. You’ve never been married and divorced. Everything is insurmountable when you’re married. The fact that you want to talk at the breakfast table and he insists on reading his paper is insurmountable. Leaving the seat up on the toilet is insurmountable. Getting peanut butter in the jelly jar is insurmountable. People don’t change just because they’re married. All those little habits and personality quirks that you previously thought were trivial become the bane of your existence. And the major problems, like different outlooks on life, are crushing.” 1 likes