Start by marking “Scrum: A Smart Travel Companion--A Pocket Guide” as Want to Read:
Scrum: A Smart Travel Companion--A Pocket Guide

Scrum: A Smart Travel Companion--A Pocket Guide

This pocket guide is the one book to read for everyone who wants to learn about Scrum.The book covers all roles, rules and the main principles underpinning Scrum, and is based on the Scrum Guide Edition 2013. A broader context to this fundamental description of Scrum is given by describing the past and the future of Scrum.The author, Gunther Verheyen, has created a concise ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Van Haren Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Scrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scrum

Start your review of Scrum: A Smart Travel Companion--A Pocket Guide
Ricardo Castañeda
This book helps understand the basics of SCRUM. I was expecting it to be much more deep into the artifacts, rules, and ceremonies, in order to be able to apply it on day to day projects. Although I understand that might not be the purpose of this book.
Anatoly Gladky
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Не открывает много нового по сравнению со Скрам-гайдом. Добавляет пару примеров и наставлений. Полезно прочитать перед PSM I. Или как первая книга по скраму. На pocket guide тянет только размером. Желание возвращаться к этой книге нет.
---
Doesn’t open a lot of new in comparison with Scrum-guide. Adds a couple of examples and tutorials. It is useful to read before PSM I or as the first book on Scrum. For me this is not a pocket guide because there is no desire to often return to this book.
Denis Enrique Barreto Castillo
The best book, simple y directo

Con mucho aporte para entender el porqué de cada rol, evento, artefacto, cuando entendamos este nuevo paradigma ágil y saber que scrum es un medio para serlo podremos cambiar empresas a todo nivel.
Nenad Vitorović
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short and effective overview of Scrum indeed.
Mads Troels
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently the best book available explaining Scrum. Highly recommended if you want to learn Scrum or want to take your thinking to the next level.
Karl Metivier
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice pocket book about scrum and agile development. Also, if you want to go beyond the official Scrum Guide, this book offer many interesting insights.
Jozef
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heerlijk kort boekje dat de essentie van Scrum uitlegt, 99 kleine bladzijden (formaat A6). Je kan het om een dag uitlezen.
Toch op mijn honger blijven zitten, over een aantal termen blijft hij vaag: wat is precies een burndown chart. Hij spreekt daarover maar legt niet uit wat het is en hoe het werkt. Ik heb het op Wikipedia opgezocht en die wist me gelukkig wel een goed antwoord op te leveren.
Hij heeft ook een nogal naïeve kijk op hoe industriële projecten werken, hij denk dat daar nog altijd de
Dávid Molnár
The book starts with an introduction to agile and lean and then focuses on Scrum. Concisely describes it, summarizes the rules, roles, events and artifacts. Clarifies why burn-down charts are no longer included in the Scrum Guide, why refinement meetings are optional and in the end tries to give some information about the future of Scrum.

This is a short book (around 100 pages). Don't expect it to go into too much detail.
Ángel García
Might be useful to learn about Scrum if you are thinking of trying the PSMI certification. Once said that, I found it uncomfortable to read. The way things are exposed are not what I expected. Anyway, this is a very subjective matter. Also the print quality is awful: small typefaces, black and white graphics...
Miguel Angel
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well crafted material, very clear, with many suggestions and worth having as reference material, on issues associated with Scrum. As an agilist, I think it is a good text to start in Scrum implementations, since it takes a walk through the principles and values of the framework, showing relevance of these aspects by putting them into practice for the conformation of the team.
Samuel Rocha
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livro bastante direto e objetivo. Durante o livro o autor se aprofunda no Scrum Guide, explorando os artefatos, papéis e eventos do Scrum, inclusive desmistificando mitos sobre o framework e mostrando uma visão mais ampla.
Dan Brown
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic scrum book

This is a great reference for anyone considering or already part of a Scrum transformation. It is great further reading for anyone already working within any of the scrum roles.
Haktan
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Scrum Guide ya da benzeri kaynaklarla scrum'a giris niteligindeki bilgileri edinmis ve daha fazlasini ogrenmek isteyenler icin guzel bir kitap. Ben bu kitaptaki bilgilerin cogunu farkli kaynaklardan ogrendigim icin cok etkilenmedim ama yine de not aldigim, yer yer etkilendigim bolumler oldu.
Dominique
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study, non-fiction
I read this small comprehensive book about Scrum in two hours, following which I did the PSM I exam . I passed it with flying colours because the book is excellent in explaining the most important parts of the Scrum framework. Highly recommended if you work with Scrum like I do!
Gustavo Fernandes
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book to get some overview of Scrum and some insights on how to understand some practices and why they are done that way. Unfortunately, lacking examples of corner cases and expectations on those. Easy and fast to read, worthwhile.
Nicolas Leroy
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains all you need to know about scrum in a nutshell. It’s a good overview, with added information regarding lean or other interesting literature. Recommended if you want to know more about scrum!
Prasad
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pocket guide indeed..

A must read book for all scrum practioners and aspirants. The book compliments and elaborates the scrum guide with insights into core scrum framework.
Ankit Agrawal
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
Gives the complete philosophical view on scrum but doesn't justify is price tag.
Bogdan
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good "on top of Scrum guide" reading.
Ryta
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find a lot of new information. Scrum guide explains the same things well but with simpler language.
Fabio Sanches
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read for all Agile practitioners.
Alexander Lesnevsky
Translated the first, and then the second edition of this book to Russian for Alpina Publishing house.
Awesome. Highly recommend.
Abel Rosas
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspired read

I enjoyed reading your book. It's clarify some ideas and makes strong opinions on others.
I like to read more about Scrum and more detailed information.
Thiago Santos
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muito bom. Livro bem didático e com a essência do scrum. Recomendo.
Francisco
Complement book to scrum

This book gives to the reader a good complement to Scrum Guide making a little more deep explication about his principles and values.
Dinesh Saini
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the great book on scrum

Gunther insights on a scrum is marvelous and this book helps me all the scrum concepts. Must read book for every scrum enthusiasts
Alexey
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too washy, has several good points though
Diana Shymbaliova
Very deep book, needs to be read thoughtfully

Really a pocket guide, it shows the place of scum, the rules of the game, the level of abstraction, goes through common practices.
I would say it’s an essential book to understand scrum. However I think it may not be understood right away at the very beginning of using agile.
Worth to be read
Jesse Houwing
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile, scrum, work
Gunther expands the Scrum Guide from its hand full of pages into a little pocket guide of little over a 100 small pages. As a scrum.org trainer I sometimes get the question: Which slides can we remove?", and when asking myself this question about the book, I'd have trouble selecting one.

Great introductory read for any scrum practitioner, providing insights and reasons for why Scrum is what it is even to practiced scrum masters.
Vishal Prasad
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's new everytime you read it

Every definition, sentence, grammar of this book makes an impact on your mind. It not just teaches scrum, it fills your head with possibilities and a motivation to attempt scrum. This book is nothing less than a piece of art.

• Scrum Insights for Practitioners: The Scrum Guide Companion
  • Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership
  • Software in 30 Days: How Agile Managers Beat the Odds, Delight Their Customers, And Leave Competitors In the Dust
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Scrum Guide
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • Mastering Professional Scrum: A Practitioner's Guide to Overcoming Challenges and Maximizing the Benefits of Agility
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability: An Introduction
  • Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your User Stories
  • Scrum Narrative and PSM™ Exam Guide: Comprehensive Guide for Professional Scrum Master™ (PSM™ 1) Assessment
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gunther Verheyen is a seasoned Scrum practitioner. He assists, serves, advices, suggests on many things Scrum. He works with teams, individuals, executives. He facilitates unlearning and learning. He thinks, reflects, wonders and wanders.

After a career as a consultant he shepherded the Professional series of Scrum.org, the home of Scrum, while also leading its European operations. Gunther left Scr

News & Interviews

“Scrum Master, as the promoter of Scrum and self-organization, should consider how to help a team work out their problems themselves and offer any tools, trainings and insights on how best to do this.” 0 likes