Start by marking “50 ideias de filosofia que você precisa conhecer” as Want to Read:
50 ideias de filosofia que você precisa conhecer

50 ideias de filosofia que você precisa conhecer

(50 Ideas You Really Need to Know )

Coleção com mais de 1 milhão de livros vendidos somente na Inglaterra!

De onde viemos? Quem somos? Para onde vamos? Você é realmente livre em suas escolhas? É justo submetermos os animais a sofrimentos para o avanço da ciência? O que é moral e ética e como lidamos com estes princípios atualmente?
Published January 26th 2015 by Planeta (first published 2007)

Paul Bryant
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I’ve read a few of these fifty essential ideas now and even with the nice big print and quotations in boxes and timelines and all these great ideas bite-sized and right-sized and fun-sized and slipping down my throat like lozenges made of mentholated wisdom, I’m beginning to think that philosophy is bollocks. I already know theology is bollocks. History is bollocks too. Economics is bollocks. Opera is astonishingly expansively expensively convincingly bollocks. Space opera is bollocks everywhere ...more
Steve
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A fascinating - and more to the point, enjoyable - collection of 50 essays, each spanning 4 pages and accompanied with various sidepanels, quotations and notes. From slippery slopes to the prisoner's dilemma, from the cosmological argument to animal rights, Dupré brings a welcome clarity to questions that we should all care about. If you're looking for an accessible introduction to the ideas of Plato, Descartes, Hume and other influential thinkers throughout history, and if you don't know your c ...more
Aravena
To be honest, there are times when it feels like studying or reading about philosophy is a gigantic waste of time and overexertion of precious brain cells. It's a bit difficult to shake off that feeling when you're forced to ponder questions like 'are we really living, or we simply assume that we are?', 'do we really know anything about everything?', or everyone's favorite, "what is the meaning of all this?" A lot of discussion seems to boil down to tedious semantic, and you're constantly bombar ...more
Hala
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this in 2016??????
I overall liked it. There were some ideas completely new to me, others I were a little familiar with but I definitely learned a lot.
Something that bothered me was the little boxes in the middle of the page: I didn't know if I was supposed to read them after I was done with the paragraph, or before, or in the middle. It sounds silly but it was quite annoying.
Other than that it was mostly a fun read.
Bill P
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entry level exposure to philosophical concepts and skepticism, yet in an attempt to identify a given philosophy's weakness, the author is quite prone to using fallacious arguments which in turn reveals his unwanted biases (or ignorance)
Mohammed Abouda
The editing is horrible and the content is written in a disgraceful manner...
Tara
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
What's good about it is that it gives you enough introductory information that you can start understanding and contributing to philosophical discussions. Most discussions of each of the 50 "ideas" include decent perspectives from philosophers who both support and criticise the argument.

What is not good is the author's blatant bias against theism. None of the discussions in the faith section are balanced, and are lucky to have two sentences acknowledging the argument that there is a God or other
Ana
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up a physical copy of this book on a whim in a lovely little book shop and I'm really glad I did. I think it's an excellent introduction to philosophy. It presents each of its 50 ideas in the same structure of 4 pages with a timeline to place the concept, practical examples, the idea itself and counter-arguments, as well as quotes and little boxes with related information. It's this consistency and structure that I really appreciate, it never feels patronizing, confusing or subjective, ...more
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took my ages to finish this book, but it was a great experience. I learned a lot and gained insight into main philosophical debates and ideas. It also has an excellent reference section, and I will definitely do some more reading on some of the theories. Great book to broaden your general knowledge.
Craig
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best introductory text on key philosophical concepts and ideas I have come across.

Definitely recommend for both budding and seasoned readers of philosophy.
Dave Betts
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really helpful guide to the basics of Philosophy and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

The author’s obvious prejudice towards religion is lamentable as he does a poor job of presenting a two-sided and fair argument towards anything spiritual, particularly misrepresenting Christian apologetics to give his arguments the appearance of invincibility. However, while it disappointingly leaves something to be desired in this area, it only constitutes about 5 of 50 chapters and I would certainly recommend
Luiz
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read as a daily mental gymnastics exercise and the 2nd time I have read this book. First was in 2005 during my first year of university. Although not groundbreaking in any direction I gained a few insights and it works as a good launch pad of what else I am interested in checking out. Eg. Hume's problem of induction, more fallacies. Helpful in seeing other sides and how other views are fundamentally different. Could have used an overview on stoicism I think. And a ...more
Tom
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book providing an easy to digest overview of many different topics. I really enjoyed some aspects, especially to do with philosophy and they gave me many thoughts. Sometimes it is quite difficult to read, but that is due to the ideas which can be very complex to get through. Make sure though to pick this up as it really does make you think and it’s a good book to have around in your Kindle!
Reymart Carandang
Provides an introduction to philosophical ideas. Doesn’t really delve into the ideas. Ben Dupré provides the main arguments for and against each topic and summarizes it all into a short statement at the end of every chapter.
Favorite excerpt in the book: “The point of Philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it. -Bertrand Russell”
Reixel Soy Yo
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this book has a lot of interesting questions to reflect about, but what I've truly missed has been more ideas of philosophers, instead of so many interesting questions that all of us may ask to ourselves, without a conclussion. I would have liked to know more about the thought of the classic philosophers than these general questions with no answer.
Tom
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At some points it felt too minimal, but it has plenty of ideas, I feel 50 is a good overview.

It's a book which has no answers, just illustrates the problems/situations/imaginations that have been discussed the past few millennia.
Marcelo
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very interesting. It shows a lot of philosophers and thinkers that I've never heard before. So, it gives you an introduction to important ocidental philosophies and concepts. I liked very much!
Sinner
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice entry level philosophy book. A lot of topics, but just feels like none of them properly got enough attention. As said... Entry level philosophy book topic for common knowledge and conversation.
Jo Carol
Used for college course.
Andrew
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good bite sized chapters on serious everyday topics that make Philosophy interesting
Madalina_Constantin
The title might suggest an ”easy” book, but it might take tame to read and digest all the dense concepts and experiments from the book. A very good ”read me again and again” volume.
Vipul Pandey
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of major ideas
Nick
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A fair amount of overlap with the Ethics title in the series. But a reasonable introduction to some key ideas.
Jackie Lee
Good to get something of an overview of philosophy but certainly a somewhat limited one - will have to read wider!
Julie Taylor
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t care if I seem like an uneducated dolt, I adore these little, fun, crash courses. They help me begin...
Kathryn
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This nonfiction book is a set of essays, introducing the major ideas of philosophy from antiquity to the modern age, and I think it is a great resource.

After the Introduction, various topics are covered in grouped essays. Problems of Knowledge covers, among other things, the "brain in a vat"  theory and Cogito Ergo Sum. We move on to Mind Matters (Turing tests), before we reach Ethics (the Golden Rule and slippery slopes). After a short section on Animal Rights, we have Logic and Meaning (the ga
Ian Russell
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I would shy away from such a book as this because a) it's a book of a list, b) it has one of those annoying imperative titles, and c) a combination of a) and b) usually signals a superficial view of something deserving deeper consideration. Why did I buy it? I can't remember. It seems I've fallen into the common habit that inflicts ebook readers, I can't stop purchasing bargains for later.

I have had no education in philosophy but it's a subject which I've long thought might interest me.
Jien
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, it was okay.

I was handed this at work and given less than two days to come up with philosophy related questions for an essay contest at my school. I found it a breezy read and got through it in a few hours. I had no difficultly in understanding anything because I frequently read/listen to/watch this kind of stuff for fun. I literally did not encounter a single new idea in this book. That's not why it gets two stars.

As an English teacher, I found the language of this book to be very problem
Jennifer (JC-S)
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer (JC-S) by: fionnabhair@bigpond.com
Shelves: owned
How can we be sure of the reality of the external world?

If this question has never crossed your mind, then perhaps you need read no further. On the other hand, if you are intrigued about how people can debate the reality of existence (and why) then this may be just the book to introduce you to some fascinating philosophical ideas.
This book is not an exhaustive exploration of philosophy, nor does it attempt a detailed explanation of the ideas introduced. What it does do, and does very well, is in
Stephanie
So to me this book was a crash course in philosophy. I would totally recommend this book to anyone who is taking a 100 or even 200 level philosophy class who needs to study for their final exam. Personally, I didn't find it a riveting read, but it was informative and usually not too heavy. Personally, I don't like side textboxes and quotes, but I can see how the dynamic content would appeal to others. I do find it fascinating that I had a lot of background knowledge and information on a lot of t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know Religion
  • 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Economics Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • The Big Questions: Philosophy
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • Philosophy: 100 Essential Thinkers
  • Kant in 90 Minutes
  • The Big Questions: Physics
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • How to Die: An Ancient Guide to the End of Life
Ben Dupré read Classics at Exeter College, Oxford, before pursuing a career in publishing. Until 2004 he was children's reference publisher at Oxford University Press.

He is the author of Places of Destiny (published in the US as Where History was Made), 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know, 50 Political Ideas You Really Need to Know and the bestselling 50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know.

50 Ideas You Really Need to Know (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • 50 Architecture Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas You Really Need to Know series)
  • 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know