Start by marking “The Boyfriend League” as Want to Read:
The Boyfriend League

The Boyfriend League

From the author of Labor of Love and The Boyfriend Project comes another beach-perfect novel of fun, friendship, and the boys of summer, great for fans of Stephanie Perkins, Lauren Barnholdt and Susane Colasanti.

Dani’s a tomboy, totally useless when it comes to romance. But this summer she and her best friend have a foolproof plan to change all that. Both of their families will be hos
Published June 26th 2007 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Boyfriend League, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyfriend League

Start your review of The Boyfriend League
Laurence R.
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Sooooo cute! I still don't understand a thing about baseball, but I'm pretty sure I'm a lost cause.

This is a really fun and nice book to relax yourself. I loved the characters, their chemistry, their passion for baseball and the interesting plot. While I must say I didn'f really like the idea that started the story, which was to find a boyfriend for Dani and her best friend, I liked seeing their characters develop and realize that their initial plan had some flaws. They started as ki
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a super quick, super cute, and super fun read that is just perfect for this time of year when you want something light fun and that will put a smile on your face.
Angela Hart
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Boyfriend League” is aptly named. Our main character, Dani, wants nothing more than a boyfriend for the summer. Not having ever been in a relationship, Dani imagines having a gorgeous baseball player boyfriend on her arm. Going into her senior year of high school, Dani thinks it is about time she and her best friend, Bird, seriously pursue relationships.
In order to meet more men, Dani convinces her parents to invite a visiting baseball player to live with them. The local team ran out
Avon Bernabe
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

This is the kind of book that gets me into reading more and more and more. I can't seem to put it down. Stopping myself even just for a while to read this may be a kind of sin. Ahhhhhh.

I love the lead female, Dani. She's just so herself. Although she got swayed for a while, but still, she stayed true to herself. And that's what I liked about her. I can relate to her. And I love that she's a girl and a sports junkie at the same time. I am not really for those gir
Maija
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Danielle loves baseball and boys. This year she is determined to catch a boyfriend when the summer league comes to town. When she sees an ad in the local paper asking for host families for some of the team she talks her parents into letting a player stay with them, on condition that she not fall for that player. Unfortunately, Jason is not only the hottest guy on the team, he is also the only guy that Dani wants to date. What’s a girl to do?

This was a really cute, light read. I enjoyed Dani’s t
Natalie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

A really cute, summery, YA romance. I found Dani to be likable, and I liked her relationship with her sister. She and the love interest were cute together. I feel like in a lot of these types of books, the love interest is kind of a jerk, but this guy was really sweet.

The book is very dated though due to numerous now defunct pop culture references, such as the love interest telling Dani he went to Blockbuster and rented movies for them to watch, or Dani comparing her sister to Bree fr
Sasha B
"'I'll be okay alone in the backyard.' He stepped off the treadmill. 'I'm going to go shower.'
He waited a heartbeat, like he expected me to say I'd be happy to keep him company in the shower, too."

What a fun read! I loved Daniella and Jason's relationship. Jason was such a shy character, which made me love him even more. Daniella and her craze for chocolate cookie dough ice cream. which I adore as a matter of fact, and her attention to Jason's well being was especially adorable!
Em-em
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dani has always wanted a boyfriend, with the baseball season just starting and a whole baseball team coming into town she saw her chances. She talked her parents into offering their house as temporary resident to one of the players with the promise that she won't be falling in love with him. She plans on using the resident boy into introducing her to other baseball players. Problem with this promise was she never pictured that Jason would be very good-looking. She struggles to stop herself from ...more
Angela
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY READ IT! :D
Kai
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: teens

A nice read.

I can't really say its the best, but it wasn't that bad.

At first, the idea of just doing this and that for boys made me think that the book would be really shallow and would just be about Dani trying to make a fool out of herself looking for a boyfriend, but its not really. I hanged on, reading and wanting to know what would happen between her and Jason.

I really want to shake her to death because she's really thinking about Mac
Iuli
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you want a light, short, sweet, girly, short book this is perfect for the summer. It made me smile and laugh so much !

This book is about a girl named Dani that loves baseball but she loves boys even more..! The baseball team is coming in the town and needs homes for the players so she founds a great opportunity to get a boyfriend and so does her friend, Bird.

Dani feels like she is always in the shadow of her sister that is a beauty Queen....but not this time cause the HOT pitcher :
Kayla
Oct 13, 2010 added it
This book had a cute and heartwarming ending. And it was corny as hell. Seriously, if you didn't see that one coming, you really should remove your cultural blindfold. This stuff simply does not happen in real life. Parents do not agree to let hot (not to mention single) teenage boys stay across the (convienently isolated) hall from their single teenage daughter. And even if they did, what are the chances he's Mr. Right? I mean, the kids are barely past puberty. All Rachel Hawthorne novels are t ...more
Natshane
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is actually quite a funny book. I loved Dani's humour and what's interesting about this book is that the romance is not overly dramatic. Instead of the usual 'she's my life, he's my life' thing, this book presents itself properly, cute and adorable, that first attraction is well written. Though the plot could be easily guessed, still it's adorable. I remembered laughing at the jokes they've made, and the baseball scenes are prety adrenaline-junking, if you could imagine them just right. One ...more
Manisha
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A very enjoyable read.
Mel (Reviews In A Pinch)
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, own-ebook
Do you remember those all-consuming feelings you had growing up, specifically in high school? When every guy or girl that you dated or had a crush on was probably the one? And one of THE most important things was to have a boyfriend or girlfriend? I’ll admit that I remember feeling that way sometimes, but never really gave into the feelings. I always told myself that the odds of meeting the one while I was in high school were pretty darn slim. I still think I was right.

Rachel Hawthor
Graylark
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-romance
+ light read
+ Jason was a sweetheart
+ I liked Dani's relationship with her family. I also liked that her beauty queen sister wasn't a stereotypical bitch and was in fact decent.

- Dani came off as really silly to me. She was so desperate to have a boyfriend--pick a boy, any boy!--that she grabbed the first one who came along and clung to him despite liking someone else. Also, she kept giving the wrong signals and misleading answers to pretty obvious questions from Jason, t
Katie W
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Once in awhile, my 17 year old self appears and I'm in the mood to read a light, fluffy teen romance. This is a story of tomboy Texan, Dani, who is obsessed with boys and baseball. She manages to convince her parents to be a host family for a summer league player--IF she doesn't fall for him. Well, she tries hard not to, but he's everything she wants in a boyfriend.

Dani is pretty true to herself, which I liked. Her older sister is a beauty queen, but Dani is down to earth and she is
Abeer
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is sooo cute ♥♥
A perfect fluffy read when your looking for something to cheer you up!:)
Dani was a good character to read about and I'm glad she learned things and I wasn't that annoyed from her. It was good to read from her and in a way I guess it taught you things :)
Jason was the perfect boyfriend. Cute, nice and he actually had a lot in common with Dani and you could actually see the chemistry. He and Dani had fun doing things and they made a great couple!!
One
Ivory
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
It took me months before I continue to read this book. And to think I love Rachel Hawthorne.
Somehow, the idea of giving a shelter for those baseball players just to get a chance of having a boyfriend does not appeal to me.

It was an OK book. With cute moments here and there.
Halyna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sportsmen
Charming, warm, innocent, endearing book! I had a lot of fun reading it, I absolutely loved ALL the characters!Every page of this book is saturated with passion for baseball and the style of writing is light and pleasant! A perfect book for relaxing and having a great time!
Mirela
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A cute book that made me smile as I was reading it. I thougth that Dani and Jason had a connection since they first met. I think it was really cute and I could definately read it over and over again.
Carlos Jadiel
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was such a cute story. A perfect read for the summer.
Andrea
May 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
AJ Strawderman
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Boyfriend League by Rachel Hawthorne is the kind of book that a guy would pick up in the library to make his school friends laugh when his teacher asks the class to find a book to read. Honestly, I did pretty much just that when I picked up this book. To my surprise (and a tinge of embarrassment), however, I really started to enjoy reading this book and getting caught up in all the realistic fiction drama that surrounded the main characters Dani, Tiffany, Bird, and Jason. Dani and Bird are t ...more
Summer
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I read this book when I was in middle school (probably around 12-13 years old) and loved it then. I needed an easy break from the serious books that I have been reading and thought that it would be nice and easy to re-read something that I loved when I was a lot younger. This book is an easy read and really cute. Granted, now being older, I realize that the main character was a little overboard on a couple of things but who really isn’t at 16-18 years old? The book is sweet and just relaxing so ...more
Aditi
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book had a flippant approach to collateral damage. You know the people around the main characters that might get hurt because of their actions or figuring out where they stand with each other.
I wish it had focused a little more on feelings, because feelings are rarely this neat.
Overall a decent book with moderate levels of the teenage angst that occasionally plagues these books. I enjoyed it but the end and the resolution felt strongly lacking to me.
Lupita Ramirez
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good read

As soon as I started reading it, couldn’t put it down. It’s a really funny, cute story of a baseball fanatic finding her baseball player
Pam
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely YA Romance. Kind of unrealistic, I would never consider bringing a teenage boy to live in the house with my teenage daughters.
Nicole
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2017
So damn cute. What an adorable summer read. I am pretty sure I had a goofy grin the whole time I read this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Boyfriend Thief (Stolen Kiss, #1)
  • The Boys Next Door (The Boys Next Door, #1)
  • The Book of Luke
  • Icing on the Lake
  • The Boyfriend Game (First Kisses, #5)
  • Summer in the City
  • Sean Griswold's Head
  • The Ex Games
  • So Inn Love
  • Maine Squeeze
  • Love at First Click (First Kisses, #6)
aka Jade Parker and also writes with her son as J.A. London
(also writes romance under Lorraine Heath)

Rachel Hawthorne, who also writes as Lorraine Heath and Jade Parker, is the daughter of a British beauty (her mother won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® during which she received a kiss from Caesar Romero-who played the Joker on the old Batman TV series) and a Texan who was statio
“I leaned my head back. "I look worse than I did the night you met me."
"I thought you looked fine."
I rolled my head to the side, so I could see him. Hoping the shadows made it so he couldn't see me. "What are you talking about? I looked like a Cirque du Soleil performer."
"What are you talking about?"
"The black dots around my eyes?"
He shook his head. "I'm lost."
"You were staring--"
"Oh, yeah." He gazed through the windshield. "Sorry about that. I've just never seen eyes as green as yours. I was trying to figure out if you wore contacts."
"You were looking at my eyes?"
"Yeah."
"Not the makeup?"
He turned his attention back to me. "I didn't realize you were wearing any. That night, anyway. Tonight it's pretty obvious."
"Oh." Didn't I feel silly? "I thought--" I shook my head. "Never mind." On second thought...
"You don't like all the makeup?"
"I just don't think you need it. I mean, you look pretty without it."
Oh, really? That was totally unexpected.”
7 likes
“I’m sorry. I know how much players have to focus, and I know not to be a distraction. I just got caught up in the moment, in the great game, in your terrific pitching.”

But I felt a need to explain more.

“Look, Jason, I love baseball. I love the crack of the bat hitting the ball. I love the seventh-inning stretch and singing ‘Take Me Out to the Ball Game.’ I love eating hot dogs and standing for the singing of the national anthem. I love doing the wave. I love Kiss Cam. I love that the game isn’t over until it’s over.

“I love the thrill of a home run and the disappointment of an out at first. I love the way a batter stands at the plate and the catcher readies himself to receive the pitch. I love watching the pitcher windup. I love sitting in the stands and feeling like I’m part of the game.

“And tonight, watching you pitch, I forgot that I’m only a small part—the spectator. Watching you, I felt like I was in the game, out on that field with you. You’re out there on the mound, living a dream that so few people ever experience.

“I’m sorry, sorry that tonight I ruined the moment for you.”

He was staring at me intently. I’d just bared my soul. Why didn’t he speak? What could he possibly be thinking?

My nerves stretched taut.

“Say something,” I demanded.

“There’s nothing else to say,” he said in that quiet way he had.

Then he lowered his head and kissed me.”
4 likes