Start by marking “Step by Step” as Want to Read:
Step by Step

Step by Step

TV documentary maker Simon Reeve has dodged bullets on frontlines, hunted with the Bushmen of the Kalahari, dived with manta rays, seals and sharks, survived malaria, walked through minefields, tracked lions on foot, been taught to fish by the President of Moldova, and detained for spying by the KGB. After a decade spent making more than 80 programmes he has become a ...more
Published September 6th 2018 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Step by Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Step by Step

Start your review of Step by Step
Caroline
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nicki
Ive always enjoyed Simon Reeves BBC documentaries, so as soon as I knew that this book was being published, I had to get copy, especially on audio as he reads it himself.

If youve watched any of his travel documentaries, youll remember his enthusiasm for meeting new people and travelling to dangerous countries around the world. He always comes across as excited and full of life with not a worry in the world. This book opens up his early life to reveal a completely different person who struggled
Nigel
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I encountered Simon Reeve via his programmes on the BBC. In them he introduced me to some places I was aware of and a number that I was not. In both cases he always opened my eyes to aspects I was unaware of and often things that were unsettling. He did this openly and with good humour. He always seemed to respect and be concerned about the people who featured in the programmes. The idea of reading his biography was enormously appealing.

Fortunately it came up to expectations! So if you want to
Jamie Bowen
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
If Michael Palin was the man for travel shows in the 80s and 90s, Simon Reeve is the man for the 21st century. This autobiographical book gives an insight into a troubled history in his youth, to his success with the BBC. Some of the stories he tells along the way are incredible. Fundamentally you learn about the man that you never new, and I couldnt put the book down when I started reading it. ...more
Ger
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this book as I'm a huge Simon Reeve fan, I liked it but I didn't love it. I expected far more personal autobiography, however most of that is limited to the early parts of the book, then it's basically a travel book around different countries. Still worth a read but I expected more.
Karen
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
I think if more people watched Simon Reeve's programmes and read his books the world would be a better place. Thanks for showing us the light and the shade Simon. It is priceless.
Wolfgang
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Simon Reeve only in 2019 on BBC. I think he is virtually unknown in the US for his work on travel documentaries, which is a shame. These are not touristy travel guides but in-depth explorations of various fascinating areas of the world. While the scenic parts are covered, the series show the day-to-day living conditions, political and economic issues of every area Simon visits and does it through his eyes and his interactions with local 'real' people.

The book is an auto-biography
Brigid Gallagher
Simon Reed writes openly about his early struggles with mental health issues, as he literally travels "Step by Step" out of serious depression. He shares his early aspirations to join MI6 and walking into their headquarters looking for a job, before getting his first break as a post boy for the Sunday Times newspaper, later researching the bombing of the World Trade Center and writing "The New Jackals: Ramzi Yousef, Osama bin Laden and The Future of Terrorism" which became the one and only book ...more
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
'I have always been taken by a line used by Archbishop Desmond Tutu about the arrival of Christianity on the continent: When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said Let us pray. We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land. (Simon Reeve).

I love Simon Reeve. His travels are not for the erudite, he doesn't aim to teach history, context or anthropology. And yet he always manages to show us forgotten parts of the world,
Helen Peachey
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having travelled in my armchair with Simon Reeve on many of his journeys I found this autobiography very interesting. It was good to learn about Simons early years in journalism which gave him opportunities to explore challenging situations and laid the foundations for future adventures. Simon writes with the same ease that he demonstrates when meeting people along the way on his travels, reading his book is like having him chatting to you in your sitting room. This book provides an insight into ...more
Rebekah Sussex
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You should really all know by now that I love Simon Reeves. By extension- I heartily enjoyed his book.

The book details his epic travelling adventures (give his documentaries a watch if you havent), his struggle with depression, how he tried to warn people of the threat of Osama Bin Laden before 9/11, and much more.
Imogen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read! So many interesting stories that reflect the different outlooks on life all over the world. As in his programmes, Simon Reeve manages to draw parallels between cultures and counties. He helps to demonstrate that we are all fundamentally the same and our path in life is almost purely down to the place in which we were born.
Hande Binns
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really like Simon Reeve. Never miss an episode of his travels. This book is about his life and his travels and i really liked it. he is my inspiration.
Mark Turner
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read delving into Simon's adventures around the world as he explores the dark and the shade of each destination he visits. Fascinating to explore his own back story, very moving at times. Some shocking insights into the state of the world that we share.
Ian
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know much about Simon Reeve before reading this autobiography. Id seen a couple of his programmes and found them to be a bit more off-beat and interesting than the usual travelogue and he is engaging and natural on camera and great with people.

I wasnt aware of his difficult, slightly wild, adolescence life and neither was I aware that early in his career he wrote the only book about the World Trade Centre bombings (the first ones) and was something of an expert on al-Qaeda and Osama Bin
Sue
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always found Simon Reeve's travel programmes to be fascinating, as he goes beyond the surface to discover what it is really like for the people living in the countries he visits. So I was very keen to read this book, which details the first 30 years of his personal life, and memorable moments from his many travels.

I did not realise how much of a struggle Simon Reeve had in his early life, and he describes his battle with depression very candidly. His journey from young scallywag to
Abi Humphries
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this book was my favourite, I loved finding out about how Reeve got to where he is now and his surprising early life experiences. I chose to read this because of how much I enjoy the travel documentaries on the BBC, but was interested to find out more about the person we see on TV. Once the book reached the point of him making TV there was a lot of fascinating detail about the behind the scenes of his journeys and the countries he has visited. I admire his views on travel and ...more
Ous Sama
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting yet boring in some parts.

I thank Simon for his biography and for writing such an interesting book. I found myself in many parts of it and got really motivated to start my own novel thanks to the way he described how he became a journaliste. I also loved how he described the places where he lived. There were parts of the book in which I felt bored and which led me to stop reading the book in its last parts, but I am sure that other people might not find them boring.

In all, I really
sandra lord
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking

I think this should be compulsory reading for all teenagers. A story of personal triumph over an unpromising early start. Simon comes across as a very humble person. I was in tears at the end even though I am not unaware of all the suffering in the world. I too suffered from depression in my teens and early adult years, partly because I felt so hopeless and ineffectual. When I was young the situation in Biafra was in the news. 50+ years on and nothing has changed.
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to a new Simon Reeve documentary and so was very interested to read this. On TV, Simon's strengthens are his openness, genuine interest in others, an enquiring mind and his affability. All of these are apparent in this book too. He tells of his early life, his depression and anxiety and we can read for ourselves how he grew as a person as he takes on challenge after challenge. A read which is both insightful and enjoyable, there is a lot to take away from this book.
Sarah Kenhard
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent arm chair travelling and understanding the world a little better

I saw Simon live, came home and ordered this book. I was moved to tears listening to him speak. The troubled teen years, his love for his nan and the life he carved out after are interesting and inspiring. I am not going to see the countries Simon has, but I have really enjoyed my arm chair adventures through his tv shows and books. Recommended. I hope there is another book in years to come.
John
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read

I would recommend this book to everyone.
It's a great autobiography, travel book, insight into documentary making, inspirational and concerning all at the same time.
Simon Reeve opens up some of his darkest and personal moments something he probably didn't have to do and ultimately shows what can be achieved in life through hard work, enthusiasm and luck.. Loved it.
Jojo
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having watched many of the author's travel documentaries I was looking forward to learning more about his start in the profession and what drives him to travel, and I wasn't disappointed. I feel I understand more now about how he devises and makes his programmes but also about why he does this. I shall hopefully take some of the 'lessons' and apply them more to my travel adventures.
Louise
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
Having enjoyed Simon Reeves documentaries on TV, I was really excited to read this book! I bought it on audiobook and was happy to discover that Simon was reading it. He has a very calming voice. I loved this book. I enjoyed the combination of his life story intertwined with his travels and adventures. It was a great book to listen to on my daily commute. I would definitely recommend this book😀 ...more
Mrs L.H.Hay
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

A very heartwarming and fascinating travel book. Simon writes as he presents with honesty and humanity as well as candour and wit. His compassion and interest in the many obscured neglected parts of the world set his book apart from so many other travel books.
Anne Forbes
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book and the presentation. Simon Makes important news easy to understand. So many times I find it very boring to read about conflicts in newspapers and end up not understanding what is happening, and Simon explains it very clearly just by telling the story.
Rgusterman
Not at all what I expected. First half a fascinating autobiography of a man who against all odds turned his life around to become a renowned journalist, writer and travel presenter. Second half -brief summary of his travel shows - mwwahhh. Very much a book of two halves.
Stoxy001
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top man. Love his TV travels and this book didn't disappoint. Particularly enjoyed to read about the book he wrote about Bin Laden before 9/11 which got so much attention as the only literature about Al Qaeda.
Juliette
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every page of this book - so insightful and thought provoking - a brilliant read and I really hope Simon writes another !
Aaron
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
A great read. The personal story and journeys of a man I knew little about. Fascinating insight into Simons own challenges and those going on in forgotten places all over the world. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Twenty Tales From The War Zone: The Best Of John Simpson
  • Walking the Nile
  • Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus
  • Running Up That Hill: The Highs and Lows of Going That Bit Further
  • It's on the Meter: One Taxi, Three Mates and 43,000 Miles of Misadventures around the World
  • Airhead: The Imperfect Art of Making News
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television
  • Shadowplay: Behind the Lines and Under Fire: The Inside Story of Europe's Last War
  • The Hezbollah Hiking Club: A short walk across the Lebanon
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Rebel Ideas: The Power of Diverse Thinking
Simon Reeve is an author and broadcaster. In recent years he's been travelling around little-known regions of the world for a series of BBC television documentaries.

News & Interviews

“Try to drown the whispers in your head that are negative with the knowledge, with the stronger and louder certainty that you are wonderful, inspiring and interesting, both now and into your future.” 1 likes
“People don’t change when others tell them they should. People change when they tell themselves they must.” 1 likes