Start by marking “Finding Christmas Joy” as Want to Read:
Finding Christmas Joy

Finding Christmas Joy

Melonie Brown just wants to get away from all of the pain and heartache that this year has brought upon her, and Starlight Lodge seems like the perfect place to do so. With no plans beyond a Christmas escape, she drives out to the lodge. Can she bottle up the peace and joy that she finds in this special place to help her face the challenges she may have in the upcoming yea ...more
Published July 2018

Start your review of Finding Christmas Joy
Rebekah Morris
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another delightful Christmas story! When I heard that Amanda was writing a new short Christmas story, I was eager to read it. There hasn't been a single story by her that I haven't enjoyed. This one was no exception. The songs, the cookies, the snow . . . all wrapped up with the true meaning of Christmas and joy left me with a satisfied feeling. (Though I didn't want the story to end.)
I know I'll read it again in December.

I received a copy from the author in exchange for my honest review. All th
Faith
Finding Christmas Joy is a sweet salvation story, written through the eyes of a young woman with a broken heart. Her struggles over finding purpose and joy in her life were dear and delicately shown.

The setting of Starlight Christmas Lodge was so darling!! Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year, and I loved reading about the lodge and the family who ran it.

I would've liked to see more details of Melonie's past and of her breakup. I understand that that wasn't the focus of the story, bu
Amanda Tero
Jun 04, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Releasing next month, Lord willing!!! :)

I'll confess, this book *did* come after the Christmas season of watching Hallmarks... and just being so sad that they miss the true reason of Christmas joy. So... a Christmas lodge story, but one with deep meaning and hopefully a spiritual message that will minister to the readers!
Chloe (aka Crystal)
So my first thought when thinking about this book is sugar cookies with colorful icing and sprinkles. Christmas always reminds me of that because of traditions with my family.

Anyways, this short story was delightful. This one really stands out from the author's other works, and I noticed she wrote this book differently from the others. Miss Tero really uses this story to bring back the importance of Christmas, that it's about Jesus and not about superficial things like Santa or gifts.

Melonie was
Addy S.
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This was such a sweet little short story! Thanks so much, Amanda, for letting me have an ARC.

Christmas is such a great holiday- not only that we get to celebrate Jesus' birth, but that we get to spend time with family and sit by the fire. Not to mention, share gifts. :) I love that Melonie accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior, and she was able to get over the past. I really felt for her when I learned that her three-year engagement was broken off only a little while before the wedding.

Definit
Blabby Gabi
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this story!!!
Usually Christmas stories have the same general feel to them, (cheesy Santa Claus retellings with Jesus tacked on the side), but Finding Christmas Joy has a fresh style and story that captures the magic of a childhood Christmas and leaves you wanting more!
It was beautifully written and you feel as if you are there the whole time❤️❤️❤️
Amanda Tero writes with a similar style to Robin Jones Gunn, (one of my fav authors), so I loved this story even more for that😋
My favorite l
Faith
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Title: Finding Christmas Joy
Written By: Amanda Tero
Genre: Contemporary Inspirational Fiction
Recommended Ages: Any

Introduction:
I was privileged to be on the beta-reading team for this book and found this book to be well worth the read. It's short, but powerful.

Characters: 1/1
The characters were well-developed, interesting, and so true to real life. I could actually see something like this truly happening.

Dialogue: 1/1
The dialogue was well done. It had depth and showed off each personality well.

Pl
Allyson
Christmas has always been my favorite holiday, so when the opportunity came to be apart of Amanda Tero's blog tour for her new Christmas short story, I couldn't turn it down! Who cares if it's July... the Christmas cheer brought through the birth of Jesus Christ and His sacrifice should stay with us throughout the year!

Amanda Tero has accurately captured the characterization for a newly single girl going through sudden heartbreak. The feelings were spot-on how I felt going through a dating brea
Hanna
*Note: I received a copy in return for an honest review.

What a sweet, short, and heartwarming story! I confess I can't quite relate to Melonie; I've never been betrayed in a relationship, I've never attended a Christmas lodge like the one described, and I've never felt quite so hopeless as Melonie. Yet Melonie's struggle was portrayed very well, and it was nice to see the way she changed her mind. It was definitely believable, at least as much as it can be in a short story.

The small cast of char
C.B. Cook
This story was such a sweet short story!! The story didn't drag like a lot of Christmas-themed stories seem to do, and it had such a great message. It felt just like a Hallmark movie (which is actually something the author herself mentioned in an Author's Note and her review), except with a better theme to it: God provides true change, not the "spirit of Christmas."

The descriptions were so vivid and I felt like I could picture everything so well in my head. I also loved the change of heart, alt
Olivia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I read this story in the middle of summer, I was swept away in the images of Christmas cookies, music, and the thought of snow. But ultimately, I felt the joy that this title bears so well.

Melonie is a sweet character, who lacks joy after a break-up. But when she stays at a lodge over Christmas, she may just find the true meaning of Christmas; the true meaning of joy.

Although I would have loved to see more of Melonie's story, I highly recommend this short story to all ages. There is a beaut
Faith M:)
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow!

This short story was AMAZING!!! The details were so intricate, the people so lifelike. I felt like I was at the Christmas lodge as one of the guests:)

This was short enough to read in one sitting, but long enough that you become attached to the characters:)

Not only am I obsessed with Christmas, but this story was such an AMAZING way to spread God’s Word. It’s so easy to focus on presents, decorations, etc. that we forget that Christ is the true reason that we celebrate Christmas!
Esther
Finding Christmas Joy is a dear story about finding true joy and peace both in the holiday season and life beyond. As always Amanda did a lovely job creating a meaningful tale with a heartfelt message. :)
A.M. Heath
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I Loved: Tero reminds us that Christmas is more than a season, it's about Someone to have an everlasting relationship with and she uses a common setting--pain-- to bring the message to life. Lots of people feel alone or disjointed during the holidays. Whether you're saved or not, Tero reminds us Who our focus and source of emotions ought to be centered on.
Finding Christmas Joy is a short story, so we're not given much time with the characters and the cozy setting they bring to life, but th
R.A.
This was such a sweet, Christmas read! The joys of Christmas I involved made me so happy ... *cough* and kind of ready for the season!

Melanie's struggles were so real and felt my heart go out to her! But we know the Lord is there for anyone in need!

I really enjoyed this short read - definitely great for any age! My younger sisters have enjoyed most of Amanda's short stories, now I can give this one for them to read!

*I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review
Erika Mathews
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Where can a truly grieving heart find joy amid the painful memories sparked by the Christmas season? Amanda Tero beautifully answers this question in this story. The setting is gorgeous; the activities, enjoyable - but the focus, much deeper. A beautiful Christmas story of hope, healing, and redemption.
Kim Hampton
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story that really hit close to home for me. Jesus is the Healer of broken hearts, and what better time of year to remember that than Christmas? I will definitely be adding this story to my yearly "getting me in the Christmas spirit" list!
Rebekah Lewis
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a sweet, faith-filled book.
A great reminder of why we celebrate Christmas, and Who we celebrate. Melonie was a beautiful character, but I felt she needed more depth. I wish this was a longer book, I'm not a huge fan of novellas. A very good story.
And AMAZING cover!! All the heart eyes! 😍😍

*I received a free ebook copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. *
Angie Thompson
I really appreciated the message of this little story--that peace and joy aren't found in the trappings and traditions of Christmas but in the One whose birth and death opened the door to fellowship with God. I liked that the salvation message was clear and not vague platitudes--although I would expect nothing less from Amanda Tero. ;)

The Christmas festivities around the lodge sounded fun and old-fashioned, but I had a bit of trouble connecting with Melonie herself. I definitely felt for her; I
Rachel Rizzuto
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading 'Finding Christmas Joy'! It was a delightful story of Christmas love and peace in the midst of hurt and grief. Wonderful book Amanda!
Riette
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reminder of Christmas

To be reminded of Christmas and its real meaning as adult made me feel sad at stages. Why is it that we get lost the the worldly purpose of this special day? I miss the innocence of being a child and the memories of this day.
Esther Filbrun
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I saw a brief description of Finding Christmas Joy a while back, and knew I wanted to read it as soon as I saw it. I’ve enjoyed every Tero book I’ve read so far, so I knew this would probably be a goodie. And although this released in a month that many would consider the wrong season (summer), I was able to read it in our winter (southern hemisphere), so it seemed to fit perfectly!

This book is a beautiful story. It captures the homeyness of Christmas, the joy that’s often found around that time,
Abigail Harris
My Review

Genre: Christian, Christmas, Fiction, (AMAZING!!!)

My Rating: 5 Stars.

Recommendation: I highly recommend this as a family read.

My favorite character/s: All of them, I enjoyed this little story soooo much. It was such a cute story that showed the true meaning of Christmas as well as Salvation. I totally loved it. I will probably read it again soon (like tomorrow)!

My Verse for Luke 2:30
For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, King James Version

My thoughts: It was like a Hallmark movie yet to
Katja
3 stars & 3/10 hearts. I enjoyed this book! It’s very Christmassy in spirit but it focuses entirely on the real joy of the season—Christ Jesus, which I really appreciated. I enjoyed all the decorations and things ;) and for such a small book, the characters are very well done & real.

A Favourite Quote: “She didn’t have the answers for all of the trials of this year, but as she sang promises of God’s Word, she knew. No matter what happened, Jesus Christ was her Lord, her friend, and because of th
J.E. Grace
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finding Christmas Joy is a short novella about finding the one thing in life that fills the void and helps bring joy and peace to your heart. A very well-written story filled with hope, peace, love and friendships. Melonie Brown was trying to run away from heartbreak but little did she know that God already had a plan to heal her heart.

I loved the characters in the story and found them to be easy to become close to. I found myself engrossed in the story wondering what would happen next. Can't w
Nicki
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Melonie is trying to escape heartache and chooses Starlight Lodge as the place to do it. Life has thrown her some curves lately and she's having trouble dealing with the trappings of Christmas in particular and life in general. At Starlight, she gets pulled into the joy and peace that is a Christ centered Christmas. While this is probably what she is really seeking, she weakly fights it at first. As this is a short story, the characters are not fully fleshed out but the message here is clear and ...more
Lori
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free copy for my honest review. This book was real good! Got me in the mood for Christmas and baking cookies! I love reading Christian books that include salvation! I just wish it was as easy and fast as how it happened in this book. In most cases I have seen people ignore whoever is talking to them about salvation and they don’t want to hear it. Other than that it was a good book. Just wish it was longer!
Gera Wilkins
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming short story showing how a young woman can rise from despair to great rejoicing and love when she finally realizes what the purpose of her life is-to give her life to God and trust in Him for her joy. I enjoyed this book greatly and look forward to reading more from this author!
I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review.
Shamekka
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed

I love that this short story had such a strong salvation message in it. Often, Christian fiction seems to water down the characters relationship with Jesus or their need for salvation. This book did not. It clearly explained why Jesus came and why we are all sinners in need of THE Savior. I loved that about the story.
Emma Filbrun
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet story. I appreciated reading a story which did not have a happily-ever-after ending—but yet, in a way, it did. Though Melonie's physical status hadn't changed, she now had a new spiritual life, which was wonderful to read about.

• The Shotgun's Wedding (Karma's Revenge #3)
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • For My Good
  • Summer's Reunion
  • The Price of Valor (Global Search and Rescue, #3)
  • Finding Home on Winslow Island (Winslow Island #1)
  • Flirting with Mistletoe (Christmas Holiday Extravaganza)
  • Who Is Jesus? (Crucial Questions, #1)
  • Love Takes the Cake: A September Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #10)
  • Picture Perfect Love: A June Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #7)
  • Never Say Goodbye
  • A November Bride (A Year of Weddings, #12)
  • The Clause in Christmas (A Poppy Creek Novel, #1)
  • I Don't Dance
  • Until I Met You (Restoring Heritage, #2)
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Autumn Skies
Amanda Tero grew up attending a one room school with her eleven siblings—and loved it! She also fell in love with reading to the point her mom withheld her books to get her to do her chores. That love of reading turned into a love of writing YA fiction.

Amanda is a music teacher by day and a literary guide by night, creating stories that whisk readers off to new eras and introduce them to heroic b

News & Interviews