Start by marking “Your Roots Are Showing” as Want to Read:
Your Roots Are Showing

Your Roots Are Showing

Lizzie Buckley has a life many women dream of - a gorgeous husband, a beautiful home and darling (when they're not fighting) three-year-old twins. But ever since the birth of her children, she's had a fantasy about locking herself in her bedroom for twenty-four hours with a good book and a box of chocolates.

Unfortunately, her husband James doesn't understand her feelings
Published October 29th 2008 by 5 Spot

To ask other readers questions about Your Roots Are Showing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Roots Are Showing

Miriam
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you miss your subway stop reading a book, it should get 5 stars, right? There are some serious moments in this book, about marriage, divorce, love, depression, weight loss (and gain) and child-rearing and yet, I would say that it was a funny novel because of the voice.
Debbie
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is both funny and touching and I think every new father should read it to get an understanding of what a woman experiences after bearing children. It is also wonderful in that it gives you insight into why us mothers behave the way we do after children and reassures us that we are not the only ones who feel like this. The story is about Lizzie who goes off sex in a big way after children and the terrible e-mail she sends in a moment of depression about her feelings about in ...more
Sara
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Splendid and delightful! Your Roots Are Showing by Elise Chidley is a perfect under the covers read. The main character, Lizzie, is an exhausted mother of twin toddlers. She inadvertently alienates her husband and finds herself starting life over (alone) from square one. Though she still is very much in love with her ex-husband, Lizzie is forced to make is best of it and re-build a life of her own.

This book runs the gamut from humorous to heart breaking to deliciously romantic. Lizzie is a heroi
Jamie
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women
I picked this up in London last spring (title there is Wrong Sort of Wife?) and was thrilled to discover a new favorite author. You are drawn in from the beginning when the main character does something most of us have done before-- sent an email to the wrong person. Lizzie is a well-developed character that mothers (and non-mothers, too!) will relate to easily. The writing is witty and fast-paced. My only complaint was a lack of sleep for a couple of days due to some late night reading.
Can't w
Kim
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars, cute chick lit.
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★
Lizzie Buckley is having doubts about her picture-perfect world. She does love her country estate, precocious three-year-old twins, and handsome husband, James. But nobody warned her about postpartum depression and the toll it would take on her marriage. Or how she’d fantasize about chucking it all for a box of chocolates and an uninterrupted bath.
Lizzie vents these frustrations in an e-mail and her life is shattered: James gets the message by mistake. Lizzie soon finds herself uprooting her chi
Wicked Incognito Now
This is a chick/lit type book. Not standard to the romance genre, because the love interest is unclear, nor very much part of the story. This was like Bridget Jones after she already landed Mark Darcy, but more serious (and not as silly as the Carol Fields sequel to Bridget Jones).

I really liked this book, and the author's handling of the subject. I would've given it four stars, but I was SO irritated by how the whole thing ended....I feel myself just so disappointed.

More on that later.

The feeli
Nicola
Oct 13, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: Every woman
Recommended to Nicola by: Friend
Elise Chidley is an exceptionally talented writer. I was totally enthralled with her debut book and couldn't put it down! Ms Chidley writes with ease, wit and an easy-to-read style. I read the English version that launched in South Africa earlier this year. Ms Chidley has received rave reviews from the South African press - which is no surprise. I'm looking forward to reading any of Ms Chidley's future novels.
Clodagh Mccoole
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read with a likeable character that most women will relate to. Overwhelmed by children and prefering sleep to sex, she gets herself into a downward spiral by a misdirected email.
The book is set in England.A grown-up Bridget Jones who doesn't believe she deserves it all but gets it by being true to herself! A good book to get into the bath with!
Odette Watson
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - I read the English version (The Wrong Sort of Wife). Lizzie is warm, funny and endearing and Ms.Chidley is a wonderfully fresh and sympathetic new voice...

Any dates for the European release of Book two?
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lizzie Buckley had it all – a huge house, handsome husband James and 2 beautiful twin children Ellie and Alex. But when Lizzie accidentally sends a moaning email meant for sister Janie in Australia to her husband, her life starts to fall apart around her. James doesn’t want her anymore, she’s left in a grotty cottage with 2 toddlers, no money, no job and feels very alone.

Lizzie is determined to win James back, so sets about getting a new body and career thanks to best friend Tessa, hoping it’s e
Cheryl
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Lizzie Buckley didn’t have the perfect life but she did live a happy one with her husband James and her twin children. One thing Lizzie never imagined she would experience is depression…postpartum depression to be specific. Before Lizzie can even say one… two… three, she finds herself moving to the country with her children and living in a run down cottage. James has left Lizzie and it’s all her fault. Lizzie accidentally sent an email to James. Some of the items written in the email were really ...more
Amanda
Jun 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I knew what this book was going to be about, and could even generally tell the road it was going to take to get to the ending, I still enjoyed the story.

You don't often find chick-lit (I dislike the term, but that's what this is) that reflects on the effects of postpartum depression on a marriage. Lizzie has gained weight, lost interest in her health and appearance, her husband, and sex. The only thing she is interested in is her children and scarfing as many carbs as possible. She's also simmer
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it made me happy, sad and occasionally angry. It was a relatively easy read but with many different and interesting characters that kept you on your toes! There were those wonderful moments when you thought "no! don't, don't, don't!" and then you wonderered if the book would head off in the 'and they all lived happily ever after' direction, or the 'life will never be the same again' direction. There are elements of this fabulous book that are very close to my experiences of mo ...more
Bobbie  Crawford
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women of all ages
Your Roots Are Showing,
Written By: Elise Chidley
Published By: Hachette Book Group, New York, 2008, First Edition, 367 pages, paperback, ISBN 978-0-446-17814-3

Your Roots Are Showing is a stirring and entertaining tale of overcoming the odds and believing in yourself.”BCM

Lizzie Buckley has everything a woman could possibly want; a beautiful home, a wealthy, handsome husband and two beautiful young children.
When an e-mailed rant accidentally goes to her husband instead of her sister, Lizzie’s pic
Mary
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new moms, women, husbands, everyone!
Recommended to Mary by: a friend
I loved this book. I read the UK version (The Wrong Sort of Wife?) and was completely engaged with the story and its cast of characters from the first page. So much so, that I felt a certain kind of withdrawal when it ended! Lizzie Buckley is a likeable and sympathetic character whose comfortable life takes a turn for the worse after a misdirected e-mail, and continues to unravel with one misunderstanding after another. Elise Chidley has mangaged to write a scrumptiously, witty story about life' ...more
Masonbates
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
I bought this book while in Kennilworth (England) at Waterstones. The title is "Wrong sort of Wife", guess they needed to change the title for the US market. Enjoyable book and a fun read. I felt that the description on the back cover did not match with the book - but maybe that will change in the US (good thing as book was better than description). It will inspire you to get your "bum" back to the gym and feel good about yourself, rather than worry about everyone else all the time. :)
Susan Hayes
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I also bought this in London and didn't stop reading on the plane or once I was off. It's defiantely a page turner, and the central charachter is so likeable, that I felt bereft when the story came to an end. The book is funny, endearing, beautifully written and lots of fun, and I definately recommend it!
Sue.
Mary  W
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Decent read. After reading through all of the trials Lizzie had been through I thought the ending came a bit too quickly.
Moya Ross
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fab - funny - very well written - love this book.
Alicia
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a very slow start for me, but ended up being a great book in the end!
Tiffani
Lizzie is overwhelmed and sleep deprived. With three-year-old twins, a husband who is always traveling, and a disapproving mother-in-law, this is no surprise. In a low moment she dashes off an email to her sister about how marriage and motherhood are not the happily ever after everyone says it is. Unfortunately, the (un)helpful email program filled in her husband James's email address instead of her sister Janie's. After reading how his wife wouldn't mind if he went on another business trip and ...more
Maria Elmvang
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Every married woman has experienced it at some point in life. No matter how much we love our husbands, there will be situations where we are just plain tired of him and would like nothing better than to get some time off. Not for real mind you. Not by a long shot. It's just one of those things we vent about to our girl friends or sisters and then forget all about again.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case for Lizzie Buckley. As her sister lives in Australia, she had to do her venting by e-mail, an
Becky
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Becky by: won on goodreads
This was an interesting story. I agree with others who have review this book and said it's similar to Bridget Joneses Diary but with a failing marriage and children. I was a little disappointed in the marriage / relationship between James and Lizzie. It just seemed so sad and shallow because it lacked the main fundamental of a good marriage - good communication.
Another thing that puzzled me was if depression can be classified as "postpartum" three years after someone has a child. I understand t
Sybil
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it

I loved the premise of this novel—one day a very tired and cranky Lizzie fires off an email intended for her sister Janie but it goes instead to her husband James. He thinks she wants out of the marriage and so decides to divorce her. We’ve all had those “do over” moments, when if we could just, as Cher would sing, turn back time.

But in this novel as is often in life, Lizzie doesn’t get what she wants but she gets what she needs. Exhausted and depressed from having twins and no real support syst
Kaye
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This offering from Elise Chidley is a very enjoyable book from the chick-lit genre.

Ms Chidley writes well: her prose flows well, the writing is witty and it is easy to read. Her protagonist Lizzie is a character many busy mums can relate to: she's lost her individual identity, is tired all the time, has 'let herself go' a little, is depressed, has low self esteem, and would prefer to sleep for a week than sleep with her husband. She blurbs out all her problems to her sister Janie, but hits the w
Dawn
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was a bit slow starting out, but steadily gathered steam and kept me whizzing through the pages to the very satisfying finish.
It piqued my interest initially by being about issues that I remember facing on a daily basis and sometimes still do! It struck such a resonant chord with me regarding the largely misunderstood roles of new mothers and how husbands perceive our world in that frenetic time. I could certainly relate to sleep deprivation, weight issues, and
Katrina
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This remarkably realistic account of one woman's journey through postpartum depression, addiction, motherhood and divorce is the debut novel of Elise Chidley. The characterization of the main character, Lizzie is so true to life. She has all these imperfections, or more accurately, what she believes to be imperfections. All of theses flaws add up to make Lizzie who she is. She didn't have that unattainable perfection that makes so many characters unrelatable. I am only that true appreciates when ...more
Jaimey
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mothers everywhere
In a nutshell:
Lizzie Buckley sent a ranting email to the wrong person. It was supposed to go to her sister; instead, it went to her husband. Doesn't really sound all that bad, does it? Unfortunately, the rant was about him. Finding herself suddenly alone with two small children and facing a divorce, she must come to grips with her own internal battle with postpartum depression. Easier said than done.

My opinion:
Well, what can I say that hasn't been said already? Not much. This is a wonderfully
Krista
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of Lizzie who is married to her dream man, Dan, and has three-year old twins who are adorably written. She is tired from the demands of her life, has lost interest in herself and the romantic side of her marriage and mistakenly sent a ranting email (meant for her sister) to her husband. Things go south from there and the story is how she gets help from friends and professionals to get herself back together.

This is as light-hearted as you can get when you're writing abou
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Are there any ARCs? 2 16 Aug 28, 2008 11:55AM

• Bunco Babes Tell All
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • What Came First
  • No Such Creature
  • Crossing Washington Square
  • Ace of Hearts (DECK of CARDZ, #1)
  • The Scarlet Spy
  • Good Things
  • The Gifted Gabaldón Sisters
  • Foreteller
  • The Mercenary's Marriage
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • The Thing About Jane Spring
I'm a mother, writer and avid reader, currently living in Connecticut, USA. I grew up in Swaziland and South Africa, and studied in Durban, Edinburgh and Pennsylvania. My taste in books is varied, and I would read the dictionary if I was stranded with it on a desert island. I have this vague ambition to catalogue all the books I've ever read, but I think I've forgotten more than half of them. That ...more