Start by marking “The King's Horse - Book 1: A Mondus Fumus Series” as Want to Read:
The King's Horse - Book 1: A Mondus Fumus Series

The King's Horse - Book 1: A Mondus Fumus Series

An all-new steampunk-meets-fairy-tale series of heart, legacy, and duty.

Christina Creangle stared at the smoldering ruins of her life’s work. When the Moufan, an ancient secret society, offered to take care of her senile father as repayment of an old debt, she agreed. The idea of isolation with both her protege and her legendary inventor father, was too compelling to ques
Published June 14th 2018 by ADZO Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The King's Horse - Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Horse - Book 1

James Frederick
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a bit different than I was expecting. I have read some of Adam's other books and they seemed to be intended as children's books or very young adult. This one, while it had some of the same aspects of retelling fairy tales, seems geared to an older audience. It is a fair bit darker than the Yellow Hoods books, for example. For me, personally, I was absolutely fine with this.

I like the worlds that the writer creates and I do not mind at all if you need to work harder to see the fairy tal
Katrina
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hoods and Chris Creangles and Moufan-Men, oh my!

Welcome to Mondus Fumus -- or is that, welcome back? Things have changed, but some things will always be the same. Power changes hands as swiftly as we turn invention to weapon.

If you hear the echoes of a Tale you recognize, this is where we started shouting. People are as you know them, capable of shocking kindness and craven hurt. Heroes come from the same tired, fearful, hopeless places where we each have known defeat.

The King's Horse speaks w
The Mysterious Reader
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved Adam Dreece’s The Yellow Hoods stories so how could I possibly admit a new steampunk-meets-fairy-tale series by him? I read the publisher’s blurb promise of “a new series that weaves together Black Beauty, Humpty Dumpty, the Muffin Man, Santa Claus, and more” and it lured me right in. And now along comes book 1 of that series, The King's Horse, and, well, just: wow. Intrigue, adventure, steampunk, magic, strong female characters (but don’t worry, guys, you’re covered too)? ...more
Talena Winters
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Good Introduction to this Author and World

If you're looking for a story set in a fanciful but well-developed steampunk world, with hints of fairy-tales that an adult audience can enjoy, and which promises to be the first of a complex and interesting series, look no further.

While this story is set into an existing world that Mr. Dreece had created, you don't need to have read his other stories to jump right in and feel at home. (This is the first book of his that I have read.)

The story is told
Krista Jasper
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adam Dreece has an especially imaginative way of taking nursery rhymes, fairy tales, folklore and twisting them into an edgy new mythos. The King’s Horse is the first novel in a new series; yet, it is a continuation, in a sense, of his tales of the Yellow Hoods. It is not necessary to have read the Yellow Hoods; however, the stories are great and would give a depth of background that would add another layer of enjoyment.

Dreece calls this world Mondus Fumus , where Steampunk joins with Fairy Tal
Kilgallen
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well developed charaters, complete with interesting backstories, are the foundation of this action packed steampunk adventure. Adam Dreece has a flair for imagry and I found myself lost in his world of puns and reimagined icons of folklore. I think this one will be enjoyed by the mature reader of ya fiction as well as all us fun loving adults as well. This seems to be a smidge darker then his previous series ( The Yellow Hoods). Well worth checking out!
Tammy Lyn
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just a perfect beginning to a steampunk world continuing on with characters I first was introduced to in The Yellow Hood series. This new world has many familiar characters, introduces new ones (some of which I love to hate) and feels more adult than The Yellow Hoods (which I also loved).

Can't wait for book 2! I am also 50 and enjoy this series immensely.
Adam Dreece
Jun 10, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
KA
Jul 11, 2018
Elizabeth Bertoni
Oct 13, 2018
In 2014, I stopped my "hopefully one day" dream of becoming an author, stopped doing nothing with my writing, and kicked off my indie author life. Twenty-five years of doing nothing with my writing was enough, and after two medical events, I was filled with drive to change my life.

I've written the much loved young adult series, The Yellow Hoods, a world where steampunk and fairy tale meet.

In 2016