Start by marking “Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)” as Want to Read:
Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)

Mavericks

(Expeditionary Force #6)

The remnants of the Expeditionary Force stranded on the alien-controlled planet 'Paradise' get a chance to prove themselves, in a simple off-world training mission with a ship full of teenage alien cadets. When the mission goes horribly wrong and the survival of everyone on Paradise is at risk, the Merry Band of Pirates may have to come to the rescue. Unless they get kille ...more
Published May 31st 2018

Andrew
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok but more a side story

While I loved the first books in this series, this book fell a little flat. More than half the books is a side story that while a bit entertaining and does set the possibilities of a side series or something, it wasn’t what the book promised.

During the later half of the book many of the incidents and interactions between Joe and Skippy felt forced, more for the sake of having to put something in than actual substance. It didn’t help that many of the romantic parings felt
Brook
Oct 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
I've often wondered if the reason that subsequent books in a series are rated higher than previous books is because the readership is being distilled to only the true fans.

This book being rated so high is a indication that this is, indeed, the case.

Everything starts off well enough with Joe and Skippy encountering problems, as is par for the course for these books. Then, for almost the entirely of the narrative, the pov shifts to Col. Perkins and her team. 10+ hours of something that could have
Ken Illingworth
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ex For (book 6) Marvellous

Marvellous: Story rolling along but the big question remains will Joe get home before the Dutchman runs out of cheeseburgers.
Simon
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Skippy Shandy!

Six books in and still going strong but this isn't going to make everyone happy. The thing that makes theses stories really pop is of course Colonel Joe and Skippy the inter-galactic beer can. Their banter and zany problem solving are the heartbeat of these books and it starts off with a classic example of just that. However, they then take a back seat for more than half of the book as we turn back to follow the characters back on Paradise as they set up a situation requiring mor
Tony Lin
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book has confirmed my problem with the series, and it is that outside of Skippy and Joe the cast is rather lackluster and boring. The book starts off with another laughable Star Trekkish problem of the week, an energy virus that made me almost cringed in embarressment, can we please have a problem that isn't another 'ship in trouble'. How hard is it to just give the Merry Band a breather or doing something that isn't so pavlovianly predictable.
The crew of paradise is rather uninteresting,
Benjamin Edwards
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book will try to pull these swerves where it will kill characters and expect you to think everything is going wrong, the problem is if you want to pull that shit you need to start in book 1 with killing some main characters, showing that people die in this universe. As only a handful of no name/character having people have died you know that no plot characters will be harmed, least of all off screen.

It's disappointing and lazy, add to this that the plot drags along with nothing happening, a
Evan
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just as interesting as the others in this series. While I understand some of the other reviews stating they feel like this is not as good because of the 'side' story of the Mavericks (oh hey, that's the title of the book...hmmm). I like Skippy and Joe as much as anybody, but I actually feel like this 'side' story helps flesh out the universe these characters live in. It can't be all Skippy all the time - despite what Skippy may say about it.

That said, I think the Mavericks story is actually more
Lauryna
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nic Morgan
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despite what felt like a long digression to the Mavericks and not as much Joe and Skippy, I enjoyed this instalment of the series, and my biggest complaint is that the next books in the series aren't out yet.
Matt
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
So much fun!
Jeric
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
More of the same really, with a little side story going on. Which is kind of a good thing, and kind of a bad thing. While I appreciate the author adding in more characters to try and mix it up, and giving us more characters to care about, all while Joe and Skippy doing their thing, the story still feels like it is moving along at a turtles pace. I felt more detached with this book than previous ones, with myself feeling like i’ve skipped chapters and not really missing much to the main storyline ...more
Erich
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was exceedingly disappointing. That is largely a fault of my own since I came into it with expectations, which is never a good idea. The story is well told, with interesting situations, characters, and a clever plot. The problem I have with the story is that half of the novel is pure setup for the second half. The first half has almost no Bishop or Skippy which is the most entertaining part of this series which really ruined the overall story. An issue that I brought up my last review ...more
Noah King
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the Joe and Skippy parts of this book as much as all of the other ExForce books. But for some reason, Alanson decided to devote 60% of the middle of this novel to a band of side characters. These characters have been in the series before, and I had no problem with their sections.... but this time, more than half of this novel was devoted to them. A little investigating, and it turns out that the author did this to launch a spinoff series featuring these characters.

You want to start ano
Paul D
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of this series has been very fun. This book expands significantly on the characters on Paradise and ventures away from the main story for a bit more than 50% of the book. It has countless references and feels like it is probably an extension of "Trouble on Paradise," which I did not read because it is a side story and I did not feel it was worth an audible credit. Based on this there were countless moments where I just flat thought about not finishing the book.

The audio performance was as
Robert Warburton
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great installment in the chronicles of Skippy the Magnificant and his merry men.

I was at first lukewarm on the dual storylines wanting more of the Dutchman crew, but I enjoyed Mavericks storyline especially with the inclusion of non-human sympathetic characters.

Very much looking forward to Book 7
hopping Joe finally gets a little tail, his dry spell has gone on way too long.
Adrian
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, military
Two words: "too long".

Halfway through a crisis on the Flying Dutchman, the book cuts to Perkins and talks about the B-plot for (are you sitting down?) more than half the book. Usually I'm glad that the ExFor audiobooks last me longer than a week, but this one was sort of overstaying it's welcome. The main plot didn't seem to move at all.
Jay Collins
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, Okay so I still like this series but the shine is starting to come off a little. It did take 6 books but I think this series needs some new ideas to get back to a great series. I would for sure read the next book in this series but I am not as pumped about it as I was before reading this book.
GaiusPrimus
R. C. Bray continues to deliver in this series as a narrator, but the story felt a bit stilted with the changing POV's for such a long time. I feel like it would've been much better as a .5 book like some of the Paradise books have been so far.

I will be picking up the next iteration when it comes out on audible.
Mario Lopez
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I love this series, but this book felt like it should have been book #5.5, not a full-fledged book #6.

More than half of the book covers the B-characters, and our favorite beer can only shows up in one of the early chapters and the last few chapters.

The cliffhanger of book #5 is not covered in this book at all, and the overall arc is only moved 1 millimeter.
Fred Wagner
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome book in the Expeditionary Force series! This one was a bit different. Almost a cross between Trouble in Paradise and any other book in the series. Very quickly I had come to believe that this one was going to be VERY much like the aforementioned novella in that it focused on the group who came to be known as the Mavericks and steered quickly away from any mention of Skippy and the Merry Band of Pirates. BUT they return!! And in all their AI plus monkey magnificence. One thing I m ...more
Soukyan Blackwood
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
all reviews in one place: night mode reading; LT

I’ve waited, and I’ve waited, and then I got it, and so I’ve read it all in one sitting. Sixth book in the Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson, the “Mavericks” was maybe not exactly to my liking, since it followed the other humans in space, but it was still a very fine read.

About: Most of the book follows the other surviving humans who now call themselves Mavericks. The ones that didn’t get to escape with Joe Bishop and become part of Merry Band o
Edward
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've rated this book higher than the last couple, mostly because it was good to have a change of pace. The book opens and closes with the adventures of Bishop, Skippy, and the Merry Band of Pirates. However, the of the middle gives us a return to Lt. Col Perkins and her group that were the focus of the half book 3.5 "Trouble on Paradise"

I must admit, I like this group of characters. It was interesting getting to see what's going on in the universe outside of the Flying Dutchman, particularly wit
CB
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, audiobooks
I am so sad to be done with this book!! This has got to be my favorite audiobook series ever and I know I can always count on the Merry Band of Pirates (and now the Mavericks) to brighten up my day!

This was another great installment in the ongoing space adventure saga. A lot of the time was spent on Perkins team, The Mavericks, and their adventures as opposed to Joe and Skippy. And while Joe and Skippy (and the rest of the Pirates) are by far my favorite characters ever (!!!), I still very much
Matthew
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 6 is another solid entry in the the fun, pulpy Sci-Fi space opera series "Expeditionary Force". If you've enjoyed the previous adventures of Joe and the beer-can AI "Skippy" as they go from one near catastrophe to the next, well you will enjoy this one as well. This entry is focussed on the adventures of Joe's teammates, and less on Joe and Skippy, but the effects and the dynamics are the same.

If you liked the previous works, you will enjoy this one as well. The writing is simple, but pure
Bonhomous
I don't know. It's the same exact book as the previous 5 ; I enjoyed those, so why didn't I enjoy this one as much? As I think back on the parts of the book that I enjoyed I focus on the new stuff that happened with the Ex Force and their exploits and I realize that what I don't enjoy is the exact same conversation that Skippy and Joe have over and over again.
There is a common moment when Skippy is rambling and Joe cuts him off with "Get to the point, Skippy." and there were so many moments in
Barbara
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Josh Levine
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is there that I can say about this series that hasn't been said up until this point? This is easily in my top three favorite space operas and Craig still manages to surprise me with the level of detail he goes into with developing the story. Skippy, Gunny, COL Joe, Chotek, Major Smythe, every one of the Merry Band of Pirates brings me great joy with every tale I get to listen to from this wonderful series.

I am going to keep this review short but just know that if you've made it this far in
Rick Nuss
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love where the story is going!

Being a huge sci-fi fan since reading Heinlins' Number Of The Beast. (when i was probably much too young to have read it) This series is one of the most addictive and I have been completely in to this series since seeing Columbus Day on Amazon's prime reading list about a year ago. Sitting in a waiting room I started reading, and have been drawn in by the characters and story ever since. Bringing Skippy and the Merry band of pirates story and the remainder of the
Pablo Guzmán
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maveriks follows the other books on it's own. It has half the people on Paradise as story and half about Joe and Skippy.

It was very enjoyable, the only downside it's that the relationship between Skippy and Joe it's a bit too predictable most of the time, Skippy will bash him down and Joe will bash him back, I found myself skipping some of those arguments because there was nothing new there. However, at some points Skippy came up with new jokes that made me roll on the floor laughing of course.

I
Justin Lambert
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skippy you magnificent beer can

Honestly, the exchanges between Joe and Skippy are f-ing hilarious to the point I on many times I thought I had COPD and nearly passed out.

Keep them coming, and as a small business owner, it is a huge a risk to quite a job, follow a dream, but often I have heard many stories as you shared from your real world past. Sometimes, you have to just man up, step up to the plate, and through hard work make that decision the right one. To me it’s an absolute shame to go th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
My favorite thing about this book.... 1 2 Jun 29, 2019 04:41PM

• Deliverance (Hell Divers, #3)
  • The Masters of Solitude (Masters of Solitude, #1)
  • Iron & Blood (Expansion Wars Trilogy, #2)
  • Fear the Survivors (The Fear Saga, #2)
  • Commanding (Kris Longknife, #17)
  • The Singularity Trap
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
  • The Serrano Connection
  • HMS Nightingale (Alexis Carew, #4)
  • Leviathan (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #5)

Expeditionary Force (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • SpecOps (Expeditionary Force, #2)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • Trouble on Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3.5)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • Zero Hour (Expeditionary Force, #5)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • Homefront: An Expeditionary Force Audio Drama Special (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force, #8)
  • Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force, #9)
“The Rindhalu could never be described as a hasty species. Ents moved faster. So do glaciers.” 0 likes
“it may be true that I have a timeshare in Crazytown, but Major Smythe is the mayor of Crazyland.” 0 likes