Start by marking “The Summer Set” as Want to Read:
The Summer Set

The Summer Set

The real drama happens backstage in this juicy novel about an idyllic summer theater where hot stars, has-beens and hopefuls chase roles—and each other.

Charlie Savoy was once Hollywood’s hottest A-lister. Now, ten years later, she's pushing forty, exiled from the film world and back at the summer Shakespeare theater that launched her career—and where her old flame, Nick, i
Published May 12th 2020 by Graydon House

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer Set

Start your review of The Summer Set
Danielle
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Note: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you @goodreads, @aimeeagresti and @harpercollins #goodreadsgiveaway

I’ve agonized over this book for months. It’s taunted me night after night on my bedside table: “Hello?! Remember me?! That book you started in July... yeah... it’s November lady! Get it together!!”🙄 As my stack of books continues to grow- I finally had to force myself to finish it. 😬 It’s not terrible- just incredibly slow and kinda boring and just not my cup of
Larry H
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
No one does drama quite like actors and actresses, you know? That's on full display in Aimee Agresti's fun new novel, The Summer Set .

Charlie Savoy was once the hottest actress around. Raised in London where she acted with her famous mother at the Old Globe Theatre, she received an Oscar nomination for her very first film. And then, amidst a gigantic flop at the box office and her own mercurial behavior, her star burned out.

She’s now 39 and owns an art house movie theater in Boston. She doesn
Jonetta
Ten years ago, Charlie Savoy took Hollywood by storm and was touted as the great new star destined for greatness along with her talented director, Nick Blunt. They made it even spicier by beginning a torrid love affair that flamed out after a year in spectacular fashion, along with their careers. She retreated to Boston where she now owns and operates an art house movie theater. Then she drives her car into the river, getting a court ordered community service assignment to work with Nick during ...more
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

I really liked the premise of this novel but it wasn't all that I hoped for it to be for a story that sounded so promising.

I think my overall issue with this novel was the writing style. There were plenty of opportunities to create a beautiful and somewhat magical atmosphere but the small town came across as bland and the theatre also didn't seem that special.

Generally I liked the characters but again, due to the writing style, nothing had me truly emotionally invested in any of them
Morgan
Aug 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I don’t normally gravitate towards ‘romance’ novels, but this one sounded interesting because it’s about theatre people. I was wrong. I gave up because I didn’t like it.
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
I loved the idea of this concept - big Hollywood star caught in bit of a scandal and has to do "community service" at a small theater working with kids interested in pursuing acting. But not just any theater - one where she has a past, secrets, relationships, and DRAMA - not just the theater kind!

I enjoyed Aimee's last book but found that I had the same troubles in both. SO many characters and story lines to keep track of and I found my self getting lost a lot and forgetting who people were.

BUT
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 23%

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I'm going to chalk this one up to it being a review copy, and just hope that the finished product is a little more polished. My main issue with The Summer Set was its formatting. The POV would change in the middle of a chapter, and it was making me crazy! I never knew who was spea
MicheleReader
Rated 3.25.

An interesting cast of characters set in the Chamberlain Summer Theatre which is failing and needs help to give it new life and secure investors. An actress whose star has dimmed reunites professionally with her ex who runs the Chamberlain. They come together to resuscitate the theatre. And themselves in the process.

A cute book.

May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I contributed this review to Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

Special thanks to Harlequin for providing our copy in exchange for an honest & fair review.

I'm a big theater nerd so this book set against a former Hollywood star doing a Summer stay at a community theater sounds right up my alley.

I loved the characters - the Hollywood standouts and the theater kids. The old relationships, secrets, second chances, and idyllic setting. Af
Stacee

I had loved Aimee’s (unfinished) YA series, so when I got the invite to read this one, I jumped at it.

I really liked Charlie. She’s struggling and unsure of herself and gets thrown into a situation that makes her even more unsure. Nick is struggling just as much, but in a different way. When these two get thrown back together, the sparks are more like embers that take an entire book to catch fire. Sierra and Ethan are two participants to the summer theatre and we also get their POVs, w
Donna Hines
The world is your oyster!!
It's not been easy for those who enjoy live theatrical performances but fret no more because Aimee Agresti has brought The Summer Set right to your door.
It all starts with an 'under the influence' of sleeping pills scenario in which a car plunges directly into the Boston Harbor with a judge ordering community service.
This story takes off from there in which two main characters re-join in harmony, with full blown love triangles, high intensity drama, and driven ripe with
Katie
This is one of those three stars that is closer to a five star than a lot of four stars are. I do love a good theater story and there are a ton of interesting things here! There are good characters and relationships and yet and yet—it just doesn’t get all the way there.

I think the younger characters needed another chapter. I didn’t like (view spoiler)

Anyway, rec me good fiction about the theater.
Janet
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

The real drama happens offs
Really Into This

Dawn
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ????
Recommended to Dawn by: I won a copy through Goodreads
I received an ARC from the publisher via Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.
This story had some enjoyable moments, but there were too many characters and too much going on to keep track of. As this was an "Uncorrected Proof", I hope that the story gets cleaned up some to make it more enjoyable. I really don't think this story needed to be close to 400 pages.
Janet | purrfectpages
***DNF***I got to 23% and I realized I was not making any connections with the characters. Everyone’s backstories are either too rushed or non existent. There’s no build up whatsoever, the readers are just thrust into this world where some of the actors are seasoned professionals, some of them are up and comers. Good luck figuring out which is which. There’s minimal character development and not enough time devoted to making you care about any one character. I loved the idea and it sounded like ...more
Diane
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
With the world just shut down, there is no live theater to enjoy, and summer theater camps may not open. If you are someone who is missing that, Aimee Agresti's new novel, The Summer Set, just might fill that void.

Charlotte "Charlie" Savoy is a former stage and movie actress who left acting behind. She owns an art movie house in Boston, and leads a low profile life, until the day she accidentally drives her car in to Boston Harbor, while under the influence of sleeping pills.

At her court hearing
Katie
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
(3.75 stars; gifted) Honestly, I’d be happy in any theatre anywhere. I truly just miss theatre down to the depths of my soul. Reading THE SUMMER SET by Aimee Agresti was such a nice fix for me during this time where theatre is not in my life. Another fun fact about me is in real life I work for a theatre website. I’m constantly surrounded by it - writing reviews of shows, interviewing performers, and lots of other fun stuff. It’s always part of my life; always has been even before this job. So, ...more
Sharon
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I received a copy of this as part of the Blog Tour and reviewed it in full on my blog, you can find that post HERE.

Aimee Agresti has written a really engaging, captivating book set at a Summer Theater Program in Boston, based on a real-life program that happens every Summer. Our main character, Charlie Savoy is a former Shakespearean actress that comes from a line of performers, her mother being a very well respected Dame.

Charlie is required to complete a Summer Theater Program as part of her c
Michelle
Charlie grew up in the theatre. It’s the closest thing to home she’s known.
She became an actress and hit big with one role. Then her next part was in a movie that was a bit of a flop.
Charlie quit acting and gas stayed pretty under the radar until recently. She accidentally fell asleep at the wheel of her car, drove off the road and into a body of water. She caused enough damage to get community service hours. She also got her name back in the headlines.

The judge sentenced her to community servi
Cristie Underwood
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read. Charlie and Nick’s struggles with their relationship and trying to save Nick’s theater and Charlie’s career added layers to this read that is perfect for anyone looking for a quick, enjoyable read!
HollyLovesBooks
The premise of this book was interesting for a fun, summer read. Unfortunately, the tropes and lack of a captivating protagonist weren't for me. It is a decent story but with unappealing characters for me.
I appreciate the chance to review this but it is made for a different reader.

#TheSummerSet #NetGalley #GraydonHouse #Harlequin
Lizzy
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I randomly came across a recommendation for this book and found it to be the light and breezy novel I hoped it would be. Early on, it was a little hard to distinguish between some of the main characters (who seemed fairly similar to me), but things became smoother once the plot unfolded a bit. This would make an excellent beach book, vacation read, or quick summer novel—just the right combination of fun and entertaining.
Lori Tatar
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a cute summer read, chick-lit, rom-com, however you want to put it. It was delightfully ‘not heavy’ and a nice reprieve from the intensity of current reality.
Tami Vogel
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
A huge MEH on this. Just completely flat.
A.H. Kim
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haiku review:
Shakespeare in the woods
Drama on and off the set
Easy breezy read
Ann Reinking
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book. My daughter worked two summers at the Williamstown Theater Festival years ago and I got to hear lots of fun backstage gossip from her. This book brought back memories and was fun, entertaining and felt like the real thing. 👍👍
Julie Harvey
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love theater and this darling books lets you “peek” behind the curtains to see the makings of plays. I laughed out loud and totally enjoyed it. Thanks Ann!
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews
I tried reading The Summer Set several times. But I just didn't care. The storyline was annoying to me, and I found I didn't like the characters. IT was a DNF for me. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Such a Fun Age
  • What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
  • Promised Land (Chosen People #2)
  • She's Faking It
  • Map of Fates (The Conspiracy of Us, #2)
  • Summer of '79: A Summer of '69 Story
  • The Kids Are Gonna Ask
  • The Paris Hours
  • The English Wife
  • Members Only
  • The Henna Artist (The Henna Artist, #1)
  • The Devil and Dayna Dalton (Bulwark Anthology, #9)
  • Weight Training for Women: Exercises and Workout Programs for Building Strength with Free Weights
Aimee Agresti is a novelist and entertainment journalist. A former staff writer for Us Weekly, she penned the magazine's coffee-table book Inside Hollywood. Her work has also appeared in People, Premiere, DC magazine, Capitol File, the Washington Post, Washingtonian, the Washington City Paper, Boston magazine, Women’s Health and the New York Observer. Aimee has made countless TV and radio appearan ...more

News & Interviews