Start by marking “Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)

Dragon Rider

(Dragon Rider #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  74,624 ratings  ·  2,367 reviews
Firedrake, a young dragon, receives a frightening warning one night: Humans are planning to destroy the valley in which he lives! All the dragons must flee. Their only refuge is a place above the clouds called the Rim of Heaven, which may not even exist.

Firedrake boldly volunteers to go ahead first. As he embarks on his journey, he meets Ben, a runaway boy. Together, the
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 12 pages
Published August 18th 2004 by Listening Library (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Rider, please sign up.

·  74,624 ratings  ·  2,367 reviews

Start your review of Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)
Miranda Reads
Classic Coming of Age Story

--Minus the love triangles, savior complexes, and completely stupid decisions that plague many of the YA fiction I've read

The Dragons of this world are scattered. The packs have long been broken up and devoured by the Golden One. Firedrake the Dragon remembers hearing of safe place for dragons and so sets off to find it with Sorrel, his Brownie friend. No one thinks he can, no one thinks he will ever come back.

Firedrake meets with an orphan boy (Ben) (of course,
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, June 4, 2018. This is a older middle grade/YA novel from Cornelia Funke, the talented author of the Inkheart series. It's a great epic adventure novel for younger readers. It's very different than Harry Potter, but I think it would appeal to the same types of readers.

HERE BE DRAGONS! Even better: friendly dragons, that you can ride on. But the dragons are dying out as their habitat is taken over by humans. A younger dragon, Firedrake, is chosen to go on a quest to find the
Ahmad Sharabiani
Drachenreiter = Dragon Rider, Cornelia Funke
Dragon Rider (original title: Drachenreiter) is a 1997 German children's novel by Cornelia Funke. Dragon Rider was published in 2004. Dragon Rider follows the exploits of a silver dragon named Firedrake, the Brownie Sorrel, and Ben, a human boy, in their search for the mythical part of the Himalayas mountain range called the Rim of Heaven to find a safe place for Firedrake's kin to live when the dragon finds out that humans intend to flood the valley
Allison Tebo
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, v, mary-shelf
There is a crazy freedom to this plot that reminds me of the sweet weirdness of a Pixar film. It has everything from rats flying miniature biplanes to Scottish Brownies riding dragons, making this a madcap adventure. But it is also the sensitive coming-of-age story of a boy trying to find a family.
Normally, I don’t like Cornelia Funke’s style of writing – it feels clumpy and awkward – but this book was so much smoother and had a more definite style, leading me to believe that this translator was
Eshusdaughter
I tried very hard to get into this book, but like Ink Heart it just didn't catch me. Something about the way Funke writes puts a distance between me and the story that just makes it impossible for me become fully engaged. The classic fantasy archetype of friends on a quest, tons of magical creatures, etc is common and this text hardly adds anything new to the field.

Funke writes with a wealth of detail that is occasionally distracting and over-done. Her characters feel 2D, lacking real depth and
Christopher
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragon Rider is a good dragon book that doesn't delve too deeply into dragon lore, preferring to stand on it's own as more of an adventure tale involving dragons. The premise of the book is that the lair of a group of dragons is threatened and one of their own - Firedrake - is the only one willing and able to set out and explore the scary world to find a better place for his clan to live: a mysterious place called the Rim of Heaven.

Like many such books when the protagonist steps beyond the
Brooke
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is very well written is one of my favorite books written Cornelia Funke. My favorite thing about this book is that it actually feels like you are in the story and one of the many companions.This book is about a dragon and a brownie (a lager squirle like creature) who set out to find a place where the other dragons can hide. This book rises and falls so many times you can't even tell where the rising and the falling actionis. Also, my favorite thing about this book is that it is about ...more
Dannii Elle
December pick for my Instagram book club, Strange the Reader. Message me if you'd like to be involved :)

I was super pumped to be getting to this older MG/YA title, as it sounded like the exact sort of whimsical read I like to immerse myself in, over the festive period. It was just that. It did have its flaws for me, but I enjoyed the adventurous story-line and the humorous interaction between the characters.
Hannah Greendale
Firedrake is a dragon with silvery scales that glint in the moonlight. Sorrel is a brownie with sulfur-yellow fur who loves to eat mushrooms. Ben is an orphan boy with a kind heart. Together they embark on a high-stakes adventure around the world. Dragon Rider is a charming tale that's sure to stir the imagination of young minds.

On a technical note: There's an awful lot of coincidences in this book, as well as several other dated approaches to storytelling (forgivable, since the book was first
Scott Forbes
Dec 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library-books
I think it's important to note that I listened to the audio version of this book because it is, without a doubt, the reason I disliked it so much. Funke's story seems pretty good, and if I had read it, I imagine it would have been closer to 3 or 4 stars.

However, it must be said that the narrator Brendon Fraser is, unequivocally, the worst narrator I have ever heard in the 150+ audio books I have listened to over the last few years. Here are just a few examples of why he is so bad:

1. He smacks
Kristen
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlegrade
This was a middle grade book that featured talking dragons and other assorted mythical creatures. Of course there was a heroic but somewhat basic and kind boy (orphan) hero to compliment the story. I really enjoyed this book. The plot was simple: go on a quest to find a hidden land of dragons. What really made this book special was the element of friendship that is very present throughout the whole story.

It was at times a bit cliche but not really in a bad way, if you know what I mean. It's
Rachel
Very sweet book. I'm a sucker for stories about dragons and little creatures. My favorite characters Sorrel the brownie and Lola Greytail, the spunky rat who had her own little plane. Okay, I love Twigleg the homunculus, too. Just too darn cute!

If you want to read this, LISTEN TO THE AUDIOBOOK! Brendan Fraser does the narration. His voices for the characters are THE. BEST. He does all different accents and sound effects; the characters just come alive off the page. It was probably one of the
Bethany
May 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people
I gave this three stars, because I personally wanted to give it two, but I think it probably deserves four. I know that for other people, especially the audience it's actually intended for (children/YA), it would be a great book, and they'd love it. I didn't really get into the book, and it's not the author's fault at all. It was just too easy a book for me to really enjoy. The bad guy was really bad, the good guys were really good, and even the character who switched sides made all the right ...more
Julia Winknler
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because I like Cornelia funke and because I like fantasie.I think ths book is btter in german tan in english because that is the way it is original in and because tere are better adjectives in the german version.Although I like this book (and if i could speak any language than i would read it in any language)
This book is about a little boy called ben that has now parents but is found y an dragon who is on the way to the >>der Saum des Himmels<<.That is the only place
Audrey
I didn’t realize that this is written by a German author and was translated into English. So, cool.

The story is a journey/quest involving a few humans and a few magical creatures. It’s very simple and straightforward. The characters are often immature and bicker in a way that young kids love, though adults may find it annoying. The story is perfect for ages 8-10. As an adult I was a bit bored. It’s also way too long for most 8-year-olds at over 500 pages.

Brendan Fraser is a remarkable narrator;
Holly
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this ages ago and loved it, and then recently listened to it with my kids. The narration is by Brendan Fraser and is awesome! I don't know if Cornelia Funke picked him to be Inkheart before or after he had narrated this book, but I can see why she did. He's amazing. Oh yeah, the story is good too. :) It's a nice journey, with fun characters and a bit of mystery and suspense. Great for kids in the 6-8 range, whereas the Inkheart books are really for a slightly older crowd.
Mj
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hysterical! If you are going to read it, get it on CD narrated by Brenden Fraser (I think that's how you spell his name). He does all the noises and sound effects and I guarentee you will have at least a few good laughs. If you don't... well... then you don't.
Rebecca McNutt
Not a bad young adult fantasy, a little dull at times but overall still a really good story full of wit and imagination.
Arielle Walker
This is always such a lovely read - and Anthea Bell's translations are sublime.
Cendaquenta
I'd say it's 3 stars now that I reread it as an adult - I'm leaving the 4 stars on behalf of child-Cenda, though. It is undoubtedly charming but perhaps one that was better left in childhood.
Maninee
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
amazing, funny, mysterious, suspence-filled- in short, everything that a good book should be. i stayed up all night to read this book. a real page turner.
Neha Singh
3.75 Stars!

Dragon Rider is a good children fantasy book, especially for a bedtime story.We gets to see Firedrake, a silver dragon, going on an impossible journey to find a safe haven for Dragons called ' Rim of Heaven', - a place which nobody is sure even exists. But Firedrake is brave enough to take that impossible task and cross half the world to search for this place . Rest is about his journey of reaching there with a brownie and human boy as a companion. They find many friends and enemies
Raymond Banuelos
Dragon Rider was an out of this world read. Despite the fact that it was meant for a younger crowd, I enjoyed every minute. This 523 paged story takes you on a classical adventure in which contain mythical creatures such as Dragons, dwarves, elves, and sea-serpents, and many more. Cornelia Funke puts the reader into the story and tells it on the back of a dragon named Firedrake with passengers named Ben, and Sorrel, and Twigleg. These heroes must help Firedrake find a new place for him and the ...more
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
I actually really liked Twigleg. Sorrel was funny. Cheesecake was a typical main character, but still good. Ben was normal. All in all, I loved this book.
Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Human beings, fabulous creatures, myth and fairy tale, reality, legends coming true---this is what you get when you take a dragon in search of a new, yet ancient, home and boy who never had home or family, pair them up with a forest brownie and send then in search of the Rim of Heaven.

I have to say, for all the fantasy I've read, I ran across some creatures here that I didn't recall having heard of. And each facbulous creature is fascinating in its own right, each with their own quirks and
Arminzerella
Heidi-Marie
What a tale of fun and adventure! I enjoyed the characters. I enjoyed the story (mostly--once in a rare while I was wondering "is this part necessary?"). I find Funke's creations to be quite interesting. What an imagination she has.

But I think what I enjoyed most was the narration. I was intrigued to hear how Brenden Fraser would narrate a book. Sometimes celebrities aren't the greatest choices for narrators. But he was awesome!! I should have remembered from all of the films I've seen him in
Amina
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this is a children book, and I mean it, so when reading it, you can't let the adult you judge it.

I was about to give it 3 stars but this man, added the forth!

description

This is the story of firedrake, a dragon who decides to go on a quest, finding the Rim of heaven, a mythical place, where he and his clan can live without humans threatning them.

Along the way, Firedrake and his brownie companion "Sorrel" will meet "Ben", a runaway orphan, "Twigleg", a humunculus, a super excited magical
Raine Rucker
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragon-books
The story is wonderful. It's about a young dragon who sets out to find a new home for his people, because humans are trying to tear up the valley they live in. But he's not looking for just any place -- he's looking for the mythical Rim of Heaven, which so many say doesn't exist.

The book is absolutely hilarious. My family was probably wondering why I kept bursting out laughing seemingly at nothing, since they couldn't hear what I was listening to on my iPod. It also looks at the issue of racism
Miss Sophie
This is one of my favourite childhood books and it is still as wonderful now I'm an adult.

A lovely tale of characters who couldn't be more different becoming friends over the course of an adventurous trip across the entire globe, chased by something dark and evil whose spies might be closer than they think.
And it's got dragons in it! Dragons are always a win.
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate Cover 1 10 Feb 17, 2019 01:03PM
We the people: Music 7 14 Nov 12, 2016 02:53PM
What about these books? 6 40 Aug 25, 2015 09:07AM

• Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Dragon's Breath
  • The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5)
  • The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4)
  • The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)
  • The River of Wind (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #13)
  • Hatching Magic
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
  • Fire Star (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.

Dragon Rider (4 books)
  • The Griffin's Feather
  • The Volcano Adventure
  • Untitled (Dragon Rider, #4)
“No one saw firedrake as he made his escape along the canal.” 7 likes
“If you're going to start tonight there's no time to waste. Certainly not enough time to finish your quarrel with this dim-witted mushroom-muncher.” 5 likes