Start by marking “About Betty's Boob” as Want to Read:
About Betty's Boob

About Betty's Boob

An inspiring and surprisingly comedic tale of loss and acceptance told largely through silent sequential narrative, About Betty’s Boob is a seminal work from master storytellers Véro Cazot and Julie Rocheleau. Betty lost her left breast, her job, and her guy. She does not know it yet, but this is the best day of her life.
Kindle Edition
Published June 6th 2018 by BOOM! - Archaia (first published September 13th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about About Betty's Boob, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Betty's Boob

David Schaafsma
"What are you going to do now?
Anything I want."

This is a highly energetic, even at times effervescent graphic novel, almost completely wordless, with script by Vera Cazot and wild, colorful illustrations by Julie Rocheleau. And the back cover describes the basics:

"She lost her left breast, her job and her guy. She doesn't know it yet, but this is the best day of her life."

So it's a book ostensibly about mastectomy, but obviously much more than that defines her. Not without attention to grief,
Carla
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I don't often set myself up as an authority, but as a comics reader who is also a young breast cancer survivor, I feel particularly qualified to review this one.

The Good: this artwork is stunning, y'all. The emotion and movement on every page are expressive, energetic... I can't say enough good things. I haven't been this impressed with how intelligent and evocative comic art can be since Asterios Polyp.

The Meh: (Disclaimer: I have not been able to find any information about whether this book wa
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Betty has to contend with loosing her left breast, her job and her boyfriend - all at the same time. A powerful examination of what women have to go through when breast cancer intrudes on life - adult in nature.
Why are women tied up with their breasts, with their looks, as though that is all the self-worth a woman has?

In this mostly wordless graphic novel, Betty has just undergone a mastectomy on her left breast. She is given the breast, in a little box, because she demands it, though it is never clear what she intends to do with it, as it slowly rots away.

The problem Betty faces, however, is that her husband no longer loves her without her hair, without her breast, and so leaves her. She loses her jo
Etienne
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce n'est pas le genre de BD que j'aurais normalement lu, mais étant odnné tout ce que j'avais entendu sur celle-ci j'ia décidé de lui donner une chance... et j'ai bien fait. Un bijou d'originalité, presque sans aucun mot, des illustrations magnifiques, on joue avec les cases par moment et le tout en traitant d'un sujet difficile, l'ablation d'un sein suite à un cancer. Un sujet difficile, auquel je peux difficilement comprendre au premier plan étant un homme, mais on arrive quand même a ressenti ...more
Hannah Garden
I have historically been as obnoxious as every single other person who, reading graphic works, humble-brags about how hard it is to pay attention to the pictures because, le sigh, "I'm just SUCH a verbal person." Like yeah no doy, "verbal" is literally what "reading" means to the average human brain, which is why realizing that actually you do know how to read visual language only takes a little time and attention. It doesn't even need to be learned it just needs to be tended to.

Anyway this book
Stewart Tame
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun! Betty’s post-mastectomy life looks bleak at first. Unable to afford the latest in prosthetic replacements, she tries to make do, but winds up losing both her job and her boyfriend in short order. She stumbles upon a burlesque troupe, and, with their help, learns to embrace her body as-is, and what looked like tragedy soon becomes triumph instead.

This book is quite funny and surreal in all of the best ways. The entire volume is almost entirely wordless, the main exceptions being song lyrics
Daniel
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated, light-hearted, inspirational
Rachael
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4 stars for quality, 5 because I personally loved it. Smart, touching, sassy, and inspirational. ❤❤❤ ...more
Abby Johnson
A nearly-wordless graphic novel about a woman after a mastectomy. Rejected by her lover and shunned by her job where she must look like all the other ladies, Betty finds solace on a boat running a burlesque show and begins to accept and celebrate the changes in her body. This is quirky and affirming, might make the perfect gift for a breast cancer survivor in your life.
Emma
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly fantastic. Storytelling at it's finest.
Aurélia
On entre immédiatement dans la BD avec une succession de planches envahies par des crabes, allégorie du cancer qui touchera notre héroïne, se précipitant sur elle, alors qu'elle repose nue, à côté de son compagnon.
Puis, l'effroi. La chambre froide de l'hôpital, le sein malade disparu, l'héroïne qui perd la tête et son amant aussi. S'ensuit une succession d'événements assez... loufoques et irréels, et c'est parti pour la nouvelle vie de Betty.
J'ai beaucoup aimé le côté décalé du dessin, les événe
Lena
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ett svårt ämne som attackeras med stor humor.

"She lost her left breast, her job and her guy.
She doesn't know it yet, but this is the best day of her life."
Francis Thibeault
Absolument sublime! L'on se laisse facilement emporter dans ce récit situé entre la réalité et le figuré. La bande dessinée, bien qu'elle soit dépourvue de dialogues, nous transmet facilement ses intentions, ses hauts comme ses bas. L'on s'attache rapidement au personnage principal, tourmentée mais forte (elle se relève toujours malgré les obstacles). Mais ce qui constitue la vraie force de cette bande dessinée, c'est son adéquation entre le titre (référence à la légendaire Betty Boop) et l'atmo ...more
Matt
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty fantastic illustration and body positivity message here. Liked the mostly mime aspects. Obviously mature stuff ahoy.
Brianna
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, elegantly-colored art. A fast-moving and emotionally impactful story. I loved the ownership Betty gets over her new body once she gets on stage - that feeling really resonated with me.
Tabor
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent artwork and also wonderfully conveys the story line and emotion without the use of word bubbles, which I absolutely loved.
Joshua
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nest of crabs, the sign of Cancer, swarms around Betty's breast, and in just a few short pages the reader is shown how it is returned to her in a glass jar. Despite this horrific description this is one of the most beautiful graphic novels I have ever read.

This book was literally just handed to me by a friend and I devoured it in just one quick read. Whether it's the colors that seem to be stolen from sunsets and dreams, the wordless physical language that each character plays to their own str
Niki Marion
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Almost entirely wordless but this volume sings. The art is outstanding, the message bold & necessary, and the humor punchy. With highs as tall as the depth of its lows, this graphic novel is a winner.
La Biblio Geek
4,5/5
Pavel Pravda
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EN&CZ:
How important are boobs for woman and how important are for people around her - this is theme of silent graphic novel About Betty’s boob. Betty lost her boob due to cancer and her life has changed. Author Vero Cazot tells about all Betty’s difficulties very sensitively and with humor, but it's still clear that this lost is not easy almost for no one. Story is without word but a few words are there nevertheless - as lyric of songs that burlesques are singing - those words are not import
Caitlin
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Man, I needed this read. I checked this out from our public library, but I may have to purchase it for my own collection.

The art is amazing. The tone and emotions in it are amazing. I’m a big lover of graphic novels, but I’ve never read one without words before. I was skeptical, but I like to check out new graphic novels when I stumble across them.

This story is about a women who loses a breast due to cancer. She then loses her lover and her job. The rest of the story is her coping with her new
Donna
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
After Betty loses a breast removed due to cancer, her life completely changes - in a good way!

This is a very impressive graphic novel. There's almost no words - the images do all the work. The artist does a wonderful job conveying emotions (loss, fear, remorse) that Betty deals with at the beginning of the story as well as her tentative hope, wonder, and, finally, joy, as Betty finds her tribe (a group of burlesque dancers). Who would have thought this would turn out to be a feel good story?
prettybooks
13/20

La difficile reconstruction après un cancer du sein, et le regard des autres qui rend compliqué le fait de s’accepter et de se trouver belle à nouveau. Une BD aux messages forts et aux sublimes illustrations qui m’a toutefois un peu perdue par l’enchainement rapide et confus des différentes planches.

Ma chronique : https://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/2...
Julien
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Que dire, sinon "Garrochez-vous là-dessus !" ?

Le dessin : sublime.
La narration : Super efficace, même s'il y a à peu près autant de mots dans toute la BD que dans une page d'un Tintin.

C'est du lourd ; ça fait mal, ça enrage, ça fait rire et ça met en joie. Bref, arrêtez de me lire et garrochez-vous là-dessus !
Emily
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A graphic novel written as if it were a silent movie about a woman who gets a mastectomy, loses her boyfriend, loses her job, even starts to lose her mind before coming to terms with and even celebrating her body in a new community.. Beautiful, funny, even a bit erotic.
Payge Rustad
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and humorous story of a woman's battle to accept herself after a mastectomy. Amazing illustrations and a wonderful storyline makes this a titillating work of art.
Kelly Dashiell
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A+ anyone with boobs should read this, but also everyone should read this. A+++ art
Goodreads Librari...: Could you please combine those books? 5 18 Jul 22, 2018 12:07AM
  • Les deuxièmes
  • Welcome to Mamoko
  • Undocumented: A Worker's Fight
  • My Beijing: Four Stories of Everyday Wonder
  • Roger is Reading a Book
  • Alpha. Abidjan-Gare du Nord: Abidjan-Gare du Nord (Hors collection)
  • The Mental Load: A Feminist Comic