Start by marking “The Mistakes I've Made” as Want to Read:
The Mistakes I've Made

The Mistakes I've Made

(By The Bay #4)

I was waiting for my life to start...

After forgoing college to help run the family business, I’d given up on the idea of a different life, and finally made peace with something a bit simpler.

That is, until Leilani Hart showed up.

Published September 10th 2018 by JL Berg, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Mistakes I've Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mistakes I've Made

Hanne
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Taylor is Dean’s younger brother (from The Scars I Bare). He’s strong, charming, reliable, determined, rich and passionate. There was a time when Taylor couldn’t wait to leave Ocracoke, but that changed when his brother needed him. He loves the town now and the town loves him. Taylor also loves the family company. He works a lot, but he wants it to be successful all the time and he succeeds at this.

Leilani is passionate, feisty, determined, talented, honest and caring. Her dad owns several hotel
Katerina
Won’t rate it seeing as I DNF’d ten pages along.
Prologue: he’s an annoying teenager who’s older brother tells him they are in financial trouble.

To chapter one some time on where he’s having a friends with benefits type of thing with a girl named Sierra as they wake up naked next to each other. Looking at her does “things” to his body🙄. Then he kicks her out bc he can’t be asked to make breakfast. Loool nah. Not my kind of book.
AJ
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

This is such a gorgeous read! A sweet, easy, fun and sexy enemies-to-lovers romance that fits into theBy The Bay series beautifully, but can also be read as a standalone.

Taylor is the younger brother of Dean (hero of book #2, The Scars I Bare). Born and raised on the island of Ocracoke, he helps run his family’s fishing and tour boat business, and he has a deep love for his home, so when a big corporation buys an old hotel on the island with plans for turning it into a resort, he is imm
Carvanz
Oh my gawd!!! I love Taylor and Lani!!! This couple just made me happy!

Taylor’s plans for life were derailed years ago when he needed to step up, become an adult, and help his family. And he has done just that. When his brother Dean was emotionally absent, Taylor carried on the family business.

description

His love for his family, friends and their small island town have kept him content. However, when others encourage him to find love he knows that that will never happen as love tends to disappear all too
Julia
Again, there is no reason for me to know how much past sex the hero has had. Its just dumb details that, I guess, are supposed to make him seem like a man worth getting with when it actually does the opposite. The first couple of chapters are of the hero's brothers who keep telling him "you should settle down with a girlfriend" with the hero responding "nah thats not for me." Cool story, bro. I'm sure you're fun at parties.
Also, all of the other characters felt really flat and one dimensional.
Kim
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars
Fans of this series already know Taylor Sutherland, Dean's younger brother. He has always lived in Dean's shadow and has given up his own dreams of college and adventure to stay home and take care of the family business. He is hardworking, protective, and loyal, but he's also broody, sarcastic, and a bit bitter. And he is a man that avoids relationships like the plague.

Leilani Hart is heiress to a hotel magnate, but has always felt invisible. She can never seem to impress her father an
Flo Grugel
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet addition to the By The Bay Series.
I really likdd that from the beginning the story finds a way to continue from the others seamlessly. Taylor was fierce family man while lani had been used to being alone through her life so you knew that there would be fireworks when these two characters came together.
Im happy to see who is coming in the next book and I can't wait!!!!!
Beautiful ending with all the feels!
* A review copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review *

~ 4.5 Sometimes Dreams Change Stars ~

The Mistakes I’ve Made is another great addition to the By the Bay Series by J.L. Berg.

This book wasn’t as emotional for me as the others in the series, but it did still have some of my emotions flared up. I did like how this story flowed seamlessly into this series and kind of took off where the others have finished.

Each of these books are standalone novels, but this is a series
Bookgasms Book Blog
Shelves: missy
Good golly! Y’all I can’t express how much fun I had while reading The Mistakes I’ve Made. It’s my new favorite of this excellent By the Bay series!

Seriously, I enjoyed this book so damn much. From Lani’s antics with her BFF, Piper, her determination to prove herself to her father and to herself, to her crazy, sexy, fun interactions with Taylor, I couldn’t put it down until I read the last word.

At times I found myself cringing, laughing and stupefied all at the same time because I just couldn’t
Michell Hall casper
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another great read by J.L. Berg. I can't get enough of this series. They just keep getting better and better.

Taylor and Lani are supposed to be enemies. But they can't seem to stay away from each other. And when the town forces them to work together. Things are about to get interesting.

I loved the intensity between Taylor and Lani and the flirty banter. This was also an emotional read and hit a little home for me. I could relate to Lani in a way. And my heart just hurt for her. One of
Rebecca
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The thing that I’ve learned about J.L. Berg’s storytelling since I was introduced to her stories is that each and every one has heart, has powerful emotions, and has lessons to be learned through the characters’ experiences and conflicts. There hasn’t been one that hasn’t resonated in some way with me due to the relatability of the story line or the realistic presentation of her characters’ concerns and/or problems, and in Berg’s newest release, The Mistakes I’ve Made, I’m, once again, struck by ...more
Jackie  Kiwibooknerd
5 stars photo: Rate 5 Stars Rate5.gif

Advanced Readers Copy Courtesy of Author...:)

Today there are so many authors and so many books to choose from that as a reader we have become quite spoilt with all the choices out there. Deciding who to give our hard earned money too, can be quite a hard decision for many of us, as we not only want a book that will grip us from start to finish, but as a romance reader we want a story with all the feels, the alpha male, the kick ass heroine, some hot sex , along with a happily ever after. With
Lisa
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to this series.

This time it is Taylor's turn to find his HEA. Each book can be read independently to the rest. Taylor has been a bit of an enigma up until this point so it was an opportunity to find out what makes him tick. He was keen to get off the island at one point but gave it all up to stay and help save the family business. He is so passionate about the town he lives in that when it is threatened he is ready to go into battle for it.

Whilst Taylor has found his place
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
I am loving this series!!

This is Taylor's and Lani's story and it's enenies-to-lovers? Maybe forbidden romance? They aren't really enemies, more like he's just supposed to be her enemy. Whatever you want to call it, the story is steamy, angsty, peppered with humor, and comes with more than one surprise.

Each and every book in this series is, without a doubt, a standalone but I recommend reading them all. In this one we got to catch up with some of the characters from the previous books which I
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Taylor was the son that stayed home and took over the family business yeah he's a little angry, avoids relationships like the plaque because they don't hold up, he sees Leilani as an interloper and distrustful. There is an undeniable connection between the two but can Taylor put aside all of his animosity and grab hold of what is in front of him before it's too late. Leilani has problems of her own and is trying to prove herself to her father. The town Is against her and so is Taylor what does a ...more
Diary Of Book Fiend
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the 4th book in the By The Bay Series. I have not read the first three books, and you should probably do that before you read this book. That was my own fault.

This was a very well written book. The characters were great and the chapters flowed. But I probably should have read the other books in this series before reading this one, and I would have probably knew a lot more about the other characters that were mentioned.
It was a little on the Insta-Love side, which is not something I lik
Spunky N Sassy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Lindsey's ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Review~~~~~~~~~~

I haven’t read the other books in this series yet, but I’m definitely going to after this one. I’ve discovered a new author and that’s the best part of being an avid reader.
Mona
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series I have read. I liked the characters a lot. Taylor and Lani were so great. The enemy to lover you could feel between them. But soon something changed. Things became different.

See where things lead them.
C
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I think it’s time for someone to get off the island . I’m ready for a character to branch away from the family at the inn. The story was ok.
Manoela
4.5 Stars

In The Mistakes I've Made the Author takes us back to the small island of Ocracoke, now to tell the story of Taylor, Dean's younger brother.I'm going to start this review saying so far the story of Taylor and Lani is my favorite of this series.I simply loved those two, but whoever won me right back in the first pages was the heroine of this story. It's been a long time since a heroine was as captivating as it happened here.

Taylor is a more closed, skeptical character in love who had to
Nightbird Novels
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Taylor Sutherland never planned on staying in Ocracoke forever, but the small coastal town in North Carolina is home and he would do anything to protect it.

Leilani Hart wants to prove herself to her father and be given the hotel re-design jobs she deserves. Hart international is a family business and she wants to continue it's legacy, not just be relegated to the sidelines forever.

When Hart international purchases a local Ocracoke inn, Leilani sees it as her chance to shine, while Taylor and the
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Mistakes I’ve Made was a fantastic addition to a series I already love. Leilani and Taylor were a fabulous couple, and I was happy to see Dean’s little brother finally get something for himself. Their story was a little enemies-to-lovers, quite beautiful, and a lovely layer to add to the fascinating town of Ocracoke.

Taylor and Leilani were like fire and ice when the story began; their dynamic was rife with intense chemistry and tension beyond their control. Once they finally worked through a
Brittany&Elizabeth's BookBoutique
I really enjoyed this "enemies to lovers" book!  It is my beach escape read and I really enjoyed heading back to the town and revisiting this family!

To give some backstory- Taylor is Dean's brother.  (Dean was the one involved in the accident in an earlier book).  He and his brother run their fishing company, but this wasn't always Taylor's dream.  When things were going south, he decided to stay home and help run it to keep it afloat instead of going off to college and chasing his own dreams. L
Trudy Dowling
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Mistakes I've Made hit me like a hurricane. I was blown away by the main characters, Taylor and Leilani. They have both been damaged by loss as children. Their actions are constantly affected by their pasts.

Taylor fears commitment to the point breakfast is out of the question with any female. His only loves are his family and his small island town of Ocracoke. When he hears that Hart International has purchased the old hotel next door his only thought is to run them out of town.

Leilani bur
2OCC Reviews
Shelves: gemma
The Mistakes I’ve made is an amazingly beautiful story that takes place in a small town where everyone knows everyone. I really loved small town reads because I love reading about the closeness and friendship between the people that live in the town. The author really showcases this in this story and really, I really love the way this storyline was a lover to friends type of read. I love how the author really showed he emotions that the characters felt about their lives and between each other. I ...more
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve said it before…I want to move to Ocracoke. J.L Berg has made this world irresistible for me as a reader yet again with The Mistakes I’ve Made.
In past By the Bay Books, Taylor Sutherland was always in the background and I never felt compelled to know more UNTIL I ready Chapter 1 of his own story. Taylor is definitely more than Dean’s younger brother and his demons are buried deep. Who would have thought breakfast was such a taboo thing? Taylor believed if he never passed that invisible line
Elizabeth Horbaczek
4 stars

This has been a great series and have enjoyed the characters in these books and this one was as well written as all the rest.   You know these characters.  If you don't I recommend reading the other books in this series first, only because you need to know all the story not just bits and pieces.  I love reading stories that have a little bit of drama at the beginning to get you started and with this book you do.

Taylor just finished high school to find out his family business is in troub
Theresa Alberts
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The Mistakes I've Made is the next book in the By the Bay Series. I love the stories of this little ocean town and the characters are interesting and unique in their own ways. If you don't know Taylor, he is Dean's younger brother, who stepped up to run the family business while Dean was recovering from the ferry boat accident that took his arm. Taylor is not a commitment kind of guy and is known for getting friendly with the beautiful female tourists, so it is no surprise that he asks out Leila ...more
Stacie Christensen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From USA Today bestselling author J.L. Berg comes an enemies to lovers stand-alone romance.

I was waiting for my life to start...

That is, until Leilani Hart showed up.

There is nothing simple about about the hotel heiress and the minute our eyes meet, I know my carefree existence is a thing of the past. She has big ideas for our sleepy town and
Alicia Harrietha
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so very happy that I read this book. The Mistakes I’ve Made by J.L.Berg is outstanding. This stand alone, enemies to lovers story pulls you in with each and every page. I couldn’t put it down, literally!!! Read this whole book in one evening.

Taylor was going to spend one last summer in his small tourist town and then get the hell out. He had dreams and determination to make a new life for himself. When tragedy hit and his brother almost died, Taylor stood by his family and helped pull them
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
J.L. Berg is the USA Today bestselling author of the Ready series, the Walls duet and the Lost & Found series. She is a California native living in the beautiful state of historic Virginia. Married to her high school sweetheart, they have two beautiful girls that drive them batty on a daily basis. When she's not writing, you will find her cuddled up, watching a movie with her family, obsessing ...more

By The Bay (4 books)
  • The Choices I've Made (By The Bay, #1)
  • The Scars I Bare (By the Bay, #2)
  • The Lies I've Told (By The Bay, #3)
“How could I be just friends with someone who made me feel so much?
That was the ultimate question.
The one I was too scared to answer.”
0 likes
“We both said the other day, that we felt like we were waiting for our lives to start. Maybe we just need to learn how to take leaps when the universe offers them.” 0 likes