Start by marking “They Loved the Torah: What Yeshua's First Followers Really Thought about the Law” as Want to Read:

Did Yeshua observe the Law? Did Paul teach his congregations to abandon the Torah? Was the devout Jew, Peter, persuaded that the Commandments were cancelled? The answers you'll find in this book may surprise you! Even though many Jews believe that Paul taught against the Law, this book disproves that notion. Most Christians are disconnected from the Torah; reading this boo ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Messianic Jewish Publisher (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about They Loved the Torah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Loved the Torah

Nathan Albright
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2019
In a world that was remotely knowledgeable about the Bible, writing a book like this should be akin to carrying coals to Newcastle.  After all, it should be glaringly obvious that the apostles kept the Sabbath and holy days and food laws and that their approach was obedient to the point of being scrupulously so when it came to the laws of God, whatever their disagreements about aspects of nonbiblical traditions.  It should go without saying that I have myself heard sermons and written blog entri ...more
J.J. Richardson
This book was a bit difficult, but very good. It makes a very good case and I think a correct one on how Jesus and his disciples love of Torah shaped all their actions. This can be more difficult to wrap ones head around if you've have some types of Christian theology driven into you that the law is "bad" or "over" or "useless". I'd recommend this book for anyone wanting to get behind the words and actions of Jesus and his followers in their 2nd Temple Torah observant context.
Jacklynn
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great source for scripture passages dealing with Torah observance in the New Testament as well as God Fearers.
Susan
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good look at Torah observance in the New Testament.
Marshall A Lewis
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite being a relatively quick read, my main critique of this book is that it could have been even quicker. Something like the first ten chapters felt like formulaic essays giving examples of individuals following the Torah. Some of this needed to be said, certainly, but in not so many words perhaps. It felt like Friedman also repeated himself often, perhaps as though each chapter could be read on its own apart from the whole? I definitely appreciated his insight and found his position to be a ...more
boopmann
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad, a good first step to understanding the Jewish Messiah, Yeshua.
Debbie
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bible-reference
"They Loved the Torah" gives evidence that Jesus and his disciples were Torah-observant. I already assumed this was true since Jesus fulfilled the Torah (and was sinless) and his disciples were Jews. Rather than going in depth into an argument, the author would often refer the reader to another book or article for that information. I was left feeling like the substance of his arguments was elsewhere.

The author's arguments were mainly based on examples from the gospels and Acts. However, he somet
Angela
Sep 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
I enjoyed the scripture references in this book, so that I can refer to my Bible for more information and details later. I did think that the overall book was going to be way better just by the title. It was good just not amazing like I was hoping. I think I would have enjoyed it much better if I would have read it earlier in my journey of becoming a G-dfearer.
Brian
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brian by: Staci
Quick read. The book concisely shows examples of Yeshua, the apostles and other figures in the New Testament (the 1st church) keeping the Law (Torah) of Moses. The Law wasn't abolished then and isn't abolished now.
Paul
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great presentation as to how Jesus and his followers praticed Judaism. And remember ... Judaism isn't legalism. Legalism is a condition of your heart, not a particular tradition that is foreign.
Kisha Gallagher
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ready for a new yet ancient perspective of God's Law? This is one place to start.
Leah
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kingdom-living
This was almost too condensed for the amount of content involved. The things I found most helpful were stated in his conclusion and then not dealt with very much.
Larry Norris
May 18, 2017
Megan
Sep 08, 2010
Amy
rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2010
Joshua Trombley
Jul 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
1 follower

David Friedman lives in Israel where he teaches history. He holds a Ph.D., having previously studied at Hebrew University. A former member of the Israel Defense Forces, he is a sought after international speaker on the current Middle East crisis.