Start by marking “Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)

Shadow of the Fox

(Shadow of the Fox #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  7,377 ratings  ·  2,029 reviews
14 Hours and 45 Minutes

One thousand years ago, the great Kami Dragon was summoned to grant a single terrible wish - and the land of Iwagoto was plunged into an age of darkness and chaos.

Now, for whoever holds the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers, a new wish will be granted. A new age is about to dawn.

Raised by monks in the isolated Silent Winds temple, Yumeko has tr/>One
Audio CD
Published October 2nd 2018 by Harlequin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of the Fox, please sign up.
Diana Braxton There was very little swearing in Shadow of the Fox. I only recall a single instance where a character said H311, otherwise, there was pretty much…moreThere was very little swearing in Shadow of the Fox. I only recall a single instance where a character said H311, otherwise, there was pretty much none at all. (less)
Sammm [if you hadn't noticed, yeah, somewhat on hiatus] "Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa, first in a series starring a fox shapeshifter and inspired by Japanese mythology."

Source:
…more

Source:
www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/...(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  7,377 ratings  ·  2,029 reviews

Emily May
The monks at the temple would often train or meditate bare-chested, so I was used to seeing male upper bodies, but they'd all been so familiar I'd never given any of them a second thought. Kage Tatsumi was a different story.

I feel sad writing this review. I absolutely loved Kagawa's The Immortal Rules trilogy and also enjoyed her The Iron King series, but after Talon and Shadow of The Fox, I think I have to admit that we're growing apart.

I'm not sure if Kagawa's style changed or if I did, but I do know th
Melanie

(My amazing friend Courtney, at Curly Book Owl, gave this to me as a birthday gift!) 💖

“…The tiniest pebble, when dropped into a pond, will leave ripples that will grow and spread in ways we cannot comprehend.”

Shadow of the Fox is a bright, shining light in 2018 fantasy! Friends, I loved this from the very first chapter, and was more captivated than I have been reading any other book this year. Like, go into any bookstore, read the first chapters of this book, and I dare you not to want to immediately buy it. Goosebumps💖
jessica
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just reread this to prep myself for the sequel (i finally got my hands on it!!!) and decided this is a good time for a little PSA - if you havent read this yet, what are you waiting for?! your life will be so much better because of it, i promise you.
_____________________________

fantasy is a genre that i have really gotten into over the past year or so and i have come to realise that i enjoy it so much more when the story is rooted in cultural folklore. and japanese tales and traditi
megs_bookrack
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
FAVORITE BOOK OF THE YEAR!!!

This book stole my heart.
My whole freaking heart!

I went into this knowing one thing:
Japanese-inspired fantasy.

I was hooked from the very first chapter.

The tone of the writing, the lush world, the highly entertaining characters, all of it!

This is Anime brought to the page in the best way imaginable.

In the land of Iwagoto, the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers, has the power to bring forth the Kami Dragon. The dragon is
Tucker
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Recommended to Tucker by: Jesse (JesseTheReader)

This book has restored my faith in fantasy. You see whenever people asked me what my favorite genre was I always said fantasy. But slowly, after reading a ton of other genres, I realized how challenging it is to read fantasy. On top of character arcs and plot types, you have to shove through the world building. All in all, reading fantasy books are no easy task.

With this knowledge, I took it upon myself to get the audiobook. And I am so glad I did because 1) The audiobook was amazing as it was cast with three na
Kayla Dawn
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This was surprisingly entertaining!

Tbh, there were a few cliches but they were written in a relatively good way (Some parts were a little cringy though.. especially towards the end).

For example the characters themselves all had pretty cliche rolls (The guy with no feelings, the naive and way too trusting/friendly girl, the comic relief with his sarcastic comments and an I don't give a shit about anything attitude, etc.) but they were written with enough depth and personality to make
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
October Owlcrate! Click the link below the picture to see the goods =)

LINK TO THE GOODS

I loved this world and the characters!! That ending though!!! Need the next book!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
There was so much to love about this book. The vast detailed world building, the Japanese legends and lore, the moral dilemmas that were faced...it was so fully fleshed out and enjoyable. The characters were what truly sold me though. I loved each of them so much for so many different reasons. I can’t wait to read the next book because I need to know what happens to them!
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
"Once every thousand years… a wish will be granted and a new age will dawn."

*I received this arc from the publisher in exchange for an honest opinion*

Shadow of the Fox is an #ownvoices YA fantasy that was inspired by Japanese mythology, and essentially revolves around the search for The Scroll of a Thousand Prayers which has the power to call upon the great Kami Dragon who will grant its summoner a wish. A lot of folks are after this thing, and they’ll do anything to get it.

This is my second Julie Kagawa book. I reread Th/>/>*I
Nick
Oct 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be so so good. I am calling it.
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Thank you so much to everyone who told me I would love this book- you couldn't have been more right! Shadow of the Fox is a pleasure to read- I would go so far as to say that it's one of the top books I've read this year. I saw everything playing out so clearly in my mind in anime form and I just couldn't possibly love it more than I did. The story is well crafted, the characters are new favorites of mine, the fantastical setting is a dream and I'm most certainly dying for book two. I am definit ...more
Natalie Monroe
“He might be young, with the face of an angel, but there was no mistaking the truth in his eyes. He was a killer.”

Guess what happens next. Go on, guess!

Yes, my dear stranger on the Internet. They fall in love.

It's a hardly a spoiler. You know it's going to happen the instant Yumeko notices Tatsumui's chiselled abs.

Honestly, Kagawa's work of late is extremely predictable and derivative. Which makes me equally disappointed and annoyed because I love, love, love her Iron Fey series. I want Puck to show up at my window, make flowe
Hamad
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating 3.5/3.75 stars

“ I was simply a weapon. A weapon did not question the intent of those who wielded it. ”

🌟 Reading Shadow of the fox was like watching an anime movie/ series and I always liked those.

description

🌟 I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read this or not but I really wanted to read something by the author and I am glad I did request it!Prescription
Actual
Vibur (Partial Hiatus)
I won't lie—a part of me did love Shadow of the Fox. I loved the world that Kagawa created, from its fierce samurai and enigmatic shinobi, to its playful kitsune and ferocious oni. There were rustic teahouses and moss-furred shrines, whispering bamboo forests and verdant rice paddies.

I have mixed feelings about the plot. Because the thing is, there was more padding stuffed into it than a feather pillow. But hey, I was kept entertained, at least!
And I admit Shadow of the Fox serves up a much-too-bountiful buffet of tropes—but guess what? I. Ate. Them. Up.
To me,
Samantha
DNF’d at page 102:

- I hate that this book is told in two POVs, that aren’t labeled, both in first person. The narrative voices aren’t very different either.

- There’s a lot of tell instead of show.

- A lot of the setup already doesn’t make sense.

- I wasn’t overly invested in this book to begin with and assumed it would be a 3 star read or less, but hoped to be surprised. I can already tell where this book is going to go, so I have no motivation to continue. I thought the world may be enough to
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
TYPICAL YA PLOT AND CHARACTERS, SPRINKLED WITH JAPANESE MYTHOLOGY
actual rating: 2.5

You could shorten this book to half its length and probably wouldn't notice the difference. I mean, honestly, you could probably already guess how this book would go just by reading the synopsis... and majority of your guess would probably be right.

🐺 Shadow of the Fox is told from two perspectives--from an innocent, childlike half-fox-half-human hybrid, and from a brooding, murderous samurai. Neither really has
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
1.) Shadow Of The Fox ★★★★
2.) Soul Of The Sword ★★★

-----------------------------------------------

"One step at a time, little fox. The spider does not spin its web in a heartbeat, nor does the albatross fly across oceans with a few flaps of its wings. Many would consider what they do impossible, and yet, they still complete their tasks without fail, because they simply...start."

This book would make an INCREDIBLE anime or animated series along the lines of Avatar The Last Airbend/>"One
Kelly Brigid ♡
“It is very hard to be human, little fox. Even the humans themselves don't do a great job of it.”

Shadow of the Fox is the perfect fantasy novel that my little Asian heart has been craving! It reminded me of Avatar: the Last Airbender and Beyond the Boundary - two of my favorite cartoons/animes in existence! The flow of this story felt like a living, breathing anime, and I couldn't have been happier! Of course I devoured it in a few days! An absolutely wonderful Japanese inspired fantasy with magic, adve
Lena

My little anime heart can die in peace now.
This book has E V E R Y T H I N G I look for in Fantasy: Fast pacing, sympathetic, relatable characters, badassery, action, royalty and a natural flow to the storytelling. No kidding, the storytelling here is
may ➹
Oct 06, 2018 marked it as need-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
sometimes I think I’m getting faster at reading and then I realize that I’ve been trying to read this book for a month and only gotten 23% through
may ❀
ayyyyy, this is my 150th book of the year, completing my reading challenge feel honoured @ book

my feelings on this book really fluctuated throughout the course of reading it. at first, i found the main character, yumeko, to be very trusting and juvenile. it irked me that she literally played into the hands of her enemy while knowing like sis???

but i have to admit, she did grow on me. as the chapters progressed and we got to see the characters more, i found myself growing a little soft for h
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
PLEASE don't disappoint me again like you did with Talon, Julie. My heart won't be able to handle it.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

Thank you Harlequin Teen for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

“You are a weapon; attachments will only slow you down and make you question your objective. Remember, your loyalty is to the Kage, nothing else.”

My first ever read by Julie Kagawa, and let me tell you that I was not disappointed. I was so intrigued when I read the synopsis, and as I predicted I truly loved this book! The setting, characters and story line reminded me so much of an anime. The book has many referenreview.
Angelica
Ok, so I lost some serious hours of sleep, but I finished it!

RTC.
ambsreads
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Thank you so much to Harlequin Teen for sending me a physical copy of Shadow of the Fox. Another thank you goes to NetGalley for providing me with a digital copy as well. All thoughts are my own and receiving copies of the book did not impact this.

FIND MY REVIEW FOR SHADOW OF FOX ON MY BLOG

Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa was a difficult book to get through. Fantasy
✨    jamieson   ✨
a heroes journey (legit mt fave trope) featuring a girl who's half kitsune and half human?? good shit thats some Good Shit right there
mo
Shadow of the Fox has me at a loss for how to review it.

It’s received so much praise already - often from other reviewers who I really respect and whose book opinions or recommendations I usually agree with or find helpful - yet despite that, it largely fell flat for me. The prose and the dialogue, in particular, were the reading equivalent of listening to nails on a chalkboard.

What went wrong? Am I just an alien from another planet, operating on an entirely different wavelength from both Julie Kagawa and all the rev
Sara
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

YA has grown so much since I was a ‘young adult’ myself. It’s now fast paced, ambitious and not afraid of telling hard hitting stories in a number of unique and exciting ways. Because of this I’ve become incredibly tough on the YA I read and in a saturated market I want to be blown away. Shadow of the Fox promises so much. Asian culture and mythology, fantasy and a strong female lead. But unfortunately it didn’t really deliver on i
Laurie
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not know how I am going to do justice to the awesomeness that is SHADOW OF THE FOX - which I've just finished and my mind is officially blown. It is SO FANTASTIC I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO START (and am resorting to yelling about how great this is all in caps, apparently). BUT IT'S THAT GOOD! As many exciting twists and turns as Game of Thrones (OMG - the most BRILLIANT surprise POV shift I have EVER SEEN) AND this exciting, cinema-ready fantasy action/adventure is gloriously steeped in Japanes ...more
L.C. Perry
Jul 09, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
JAPANESE MYTHOLOGY????

*fangirls*

And not only that but this blurb sounds awesome! Gimme!

• Catching Stars
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Skyhunter
  • Give the Dark My Love (Give the Dark My Love, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Girl King (The Girl King, #1)
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • For a Muse of Fire (For a Muse of Fire, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)

Shadow of the Fox (3 books)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
“It is very hard to be human, little fox. Even the humans themselves don’t do a great job of it.” 24 likes
“The spider does not spin its web in a heartbeat, nor does the albatross fly across oceans with a few flaps of its wings. Many would consider what they do impossible, and yet, they still complete their tasks without fail, because they simply...start.” 22 likes