Start by marking “Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish” as Want to Read:
Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish

Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish

A joyful picture book that celebrates every kid's favorite day of the year, full of adorable art from the illustrator of Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site and I Wish You More.

The most important rule is #1: It must be your birthday.

After that's been established, a crew of hilarious animals help picture book pros Tom Lichtenheld and Beth Ferry take readers through a
Published February 12th 2019 by G. P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish

Start your review of Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish
Calista
This book throws in some jokes that adults can catch while being for kids. I appreciate that.

Example: There is a cartoon of an insect birthday party and the caption of one bug is saying about a bug playing Pin the Stinger on the Human “No Fair, she has compound eyes!” I thought it was funny and I had to explain it to the nephew and he told me that it wasn’t funny.

This story makes 10 rules out of the Birthday ritual. It’s cute with all different kinds of animals throughout the story. There are
Abigail
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Birthday Picture-Books
Author Beth Ferry and illustrator Tom Lichtenheld, who previously collaborated on Stick and Stone , join forces again in this lighthearted picture-book examination of making a birthday wish. Setting out the ten rules involved in such a wish, from having a party to keeping one's longing secret, they conclude with the birthday bear heading to bed, with the hope that the wish will come true...

A sweetly engaging "guidebook" style narrative is paired with colorful, expressive artwork in Ten Rules of
Darlene
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A rousing and joyful account of why everyone's birthday is worth celebrating. I love how every rule has an exception...don't they all...and how each of us is encouraged to celebrate in our own special way. Makes you want to put on your favorite hat, bake some cupcakes, and have a party!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Follow Beth Ferry and Tom Lichtenheld as they take you into the world of birthday celebrations. Somehow they manage to cover all of the animal kingdom with their ten rules for birthdays. It's delightful fun.
Amanda
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I was not a fan of the way this book talks about birthdays. I found that when it said things about what you have to have, including a party with hats and some special sweet, that it could cause a problem for children who's families cannot afford that sort of thing. Do not get me wrong, there are some wonderful moment in the book, and even some funny ones too. The Tom's illustrations are fun, colorful, and childlike just like you would expect. I just wish that the 10 rules did not include things ...more
Jane
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Everybody loves a birthday party! Did you know there were rules to follow? Beth Ferry has written a delightful picture book text outlining the ten rules of a birthday wish. They are all quite obvious – it must be your birthday, you much have a party, and more. I love the illustrations by Tom Lichtenheld. He used pencil, watercolor, colored pencil and pastel to create them. The characters in his pictures are all animals. The artwork is festively done and adds to the story. I think kids will enjoy ...more
Jillian
Cute and funny, and involves a lot of the "rules" I was told when I was a kid. (All in one breath, keep it secret!)
However, I'm not sure I like the YOU MUST HAVE A PARTY and THERE MUST BE A CAKE because not every kid wants these things and not every family can give these things to their kids and I don't want anybody to read this book and feel sad that their wish doesn't count.
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Birthday wishes are so important at a birthday party! In this book are ten rules for making that wish the best it can be. Fun story with fabulous, bright illustrations.
Angelina
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Some fun moments in this one and the illustrations are really nice, but you definitely DON’T have to follow all the rules.
Raven Black
Cute. Funny. Traditional. Colorful. Might be a fun read before you have a party. But make sure you've read before to make sure YOU follow the rules (i.e. have time to get everything together! )
Ben Truong
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish is a children's picture book written by Beth Ferry and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld. It is about a series of animals demonstrating how to observe a birthday properly through ten rules. Since today is my birthday, I thought it would be apropos in reading this picture book today.

Ferry's text is rather simplistic and straightforward. She lists ten rules in order to have a birthday wish with many amendments to each rule stated. It is a humorous book that is rather
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

"There are, there most definitely are, 10 very specific, tried and true, and absolutely essential Rules For The Making of the Birthday Wish."

Up next is Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish According to Beth Ferry and Tom Lichtenheld. You may recognize Beth Ferry as the children's author behind titles such as Land Shark and Stick and Stone (also with Tom Lichtenheld!); while Tom Lichtenheld is an author-illustrator behind popular titles such as Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site (written by
Lori
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Really cute pictures, but I felt conflicted. We don't turn the lights off before we blow out the candles . . . so I found out I am a rule breaker? Wondering how children will feel if there are things on the list they do not do. So while I really appreciate the idea of the book, I didn't end up loving it as much as I wanted to.
Margie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-a-day
There is absolutely no way to stop it. It arrives every year on the same day at the same time and it leaves not a second earlier or later than it should. A lot of individuals can hardly wait for the date. A few choose to ignore it

In some households it is a cause for a special event. It's a time to honor the celebrant. There might be a party. There might be games. There might be special food. And there might be gifts. Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish (G. P. Putnam's Sons, February 12, 2019) written
Kristin
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book are delightful and there is a lot of humor intertwined throughout the story. I did like how the elements of a traditional birthday start out as human, but then get connected to insects and animals. However, I didn't like birthdays being celebrated with "rules" and "must haves". With that language, it isolates students who celebrate birthdays in other ways. It also makes me think of students who don't get to celebrate with parties and cakes for various reasons and ...more
Jana
What a fun birthday present this book would be to a young reader who loves a good party. This is a terrific list of all of the "rules" of celebrating a birthday properly. The lively, colorful illustrations and the humorous informational style make this a fun book to have on the shelf everyday, not just birthdays. This could be a fun mentor text for young writers who want to write their own books of rules.
Marcie
Although I love the humor, illustrations, language, and animal jokes, I agree with many goodreads reviewer comments that this might not work as a read aloud. I know Precious Child and many other charities collect birthday cakes and candles so that families can give their children the "traditional" American birthday party. I did appreciate that presents were not included. I also liked the emphasis on the Bithday WISH.
Jenna Grodzicki
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book offers ten rules that must be followed when making a birthday wish. While the rules may be familiar to children, the author adds humor by explaining the exceptions to each rule. For example, rhinos, swordfish, and other pointy animals may want to skip the balloons. Young readers will relate to the idea of making birthday wishes, and the illustrations add even more humor. This is a book kids will want to read again and again.
Great Books
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-3-5
Beth Ferry does a marvelous job going through the ten rules of celebrating your birthday. Each rule has a hilarious illustration to match the page. All ten rules are paired with an animal and how that particular animal might use the rules on their special day. A definite must read with any toddler/preschooler that enjoys their birthday. Reviewer: 6
Sheri
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun counting down book about birthday rules. The illustrations are big and fun with bug life cycles, party plans, kinds of birthday cake, singing, lots of interesting guests, making the wish and blowing out the candles. And then you hope for the wish to come true. Colorful and many different animals included in the illustrations to talk about.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious--just so funny and voicey! This book details all the rules of making a birthday wish (and exceptions to the rules--like don’t take a deep breath if you’re a puffer fish, for example, and don’t blow out the candles if you’re a camel because you'll get spit everywhere). (also is this the same illustrator who does Groovy Joe? Those dinosaurs looked familiar...)
Kelsey
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Age: Preschool+

There are ten tried and true rules for the making of an excellent birthday wish. Along the way, there may be some exceptions to these rules such as the whale's exemption to rule number 4: "You must have a light to blow out" or the pufferfish exemption to rule number 7: "You must take a deep breath." A unique, funny, and intriguing addition to the birthday shelf. Divine!
Angela
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
Great Pb for celebrating birthdays. Utterly delightful to read any time also. Perfect marriage of words and art. Sweet and funny. Little ones will love the hoopla as they prepare for their own very special day and wish.
Michelle
Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish by Beth Ferry is a wonderful book to read all year round, but it is especially fun to read if it’s your birthday! Follow these rules to make the best birthday wish possible. For example, have a party, eat some cake and blow out the candles!
Ryan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bbrc
In general I liked this book. However, I think this book could be very depressing for kids living in poverty who cant have a cake, or food, or candles. The book is saying they are a “must”. I wish the first few rules would have been replaced by something with no price.
#BBRC #AtoZofpicturebooks
Barbra
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
We all practice the ten rules of a birthday without even knowing it. In this comically, beautifully illustrated book, we are reminded of how we celebrate. We are also informed of how there are many exceptions and precautions to take if you are an animal.
Peacegal
This is a colorful, active, and wordy book that shows many different animals going through the traditional birthday celebration in a variety of ways.
Donalyn
Fun illustrations, but I felt the “rules” didn’t celebrate or honor birthday traditions from other cultures. Many of my students over the years wouldn’t have felt a connection.
Viviane Elbee
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ten “rules” for making birthday wishes, though there are exceptions to some rules depending on what kind of animal you are. Kids enjoyed it.
Erin Sturtz
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an endearing and charming picture book! Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish, by Beth Ferry and Tom Lichtenheld, highlights the ten rules everyone must follow on their birthday. Some of the rules include having a party, a birthday dessert, and candles to blow out. There also must be singing, wish making, and dreaming of the wish coming true. The illustrations in this book are absolutely incredible! Each rule excludes one animal who might have a tough time following it. The humorous animals on ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps
  • The Good Egg
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • Another
Beth Ferry is the author of the picture books Stick and Stone and Land Shark. Her family has cared for myriad pets, including two land sharks, a hedgehog, a blue-tongued skink, and a heap of hamsters, but her absolutely perfect pet is an English bulldog named Winston. She lives in New Jersey.