Start by marking “All That Glitters” as Want to Read:
All That Glitters

All That Glitters

No matter what he tells himself, wealthy NYC architect Liam has never been able to forget his first love, Ben. But as he approaches midlife and realizes something is missing, can he forgive himself for the worst mistake he ever made—the one that left a hole no amount of career success can fill? Or will fear keep him from the full life he really wants?

Liam and Ben were chil
Published June 26th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about All That Glitters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That Glitters

Start your review of All That Glitters
Line
Hmmmmmm... *bum bum bum* (and yes I realise that this could be 'ass', but it really is just an expression for sounds coming out of my mouth while I'm thinking.)

SO it is no secret that second-chance-thingies (hereafter: SC) are my FAVOURITE trope, but sadly not many SC stories live up to my ridiculous pre-conceived notions on how a SC-thingy should work.
When Ky did her update and gave this motherfucker 5 stars and PRAISED the SC-trope, I took a chance and pre-ordered this one, even though I'm not
Ky
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This second chance, slow burn romance rightfully deserves 5 big, fat stars! The writing was superb, the plot well thought and the characters interesting and distinguishable.

The pace of the story was good and realistic and the way the characters worked their way through past hurts was expertly handled. There were inner dialogues and we followed quite a few thought processes in order for the MCs to work through their issues, figure out their lives, what was important and what they wanted out of th
Ami
When the book started – with Liam drove to his hometown and Ben, his first ex-boyfriend caught Liam and told him “FUCK YOU” – I was very excited! I pictured an intense second chance story; it seemed that Liam fucked things up spectacularly in the past and Ben still carried up all the hurt and anger.

Unfortunately, what happened next, in my own humble opinion, was pretty much a merry go round. Ben kept being angry and pushed Liam away, but at the same time he couldn’t exactly move on. Liam kept go
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This is such a weird book! It was the strangest second chance romance I think I have read and I seemed unable to put it down. I mean really.

But I don't think I liked it.

I loved the dialogue and I mostly loved each and every character. Liam has me on the fence but only when he was in the city, I don't know who that guy was. But mostly, I loved them all and they were really funny.

But.

I put on my big girl panties and was prepared for the cheating set up but what in the fuck was that?(view spoiler)
Joyfully Jay
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

All that Glitters was a lovely read that left me with the curious realization that it is possible to enjoy a book and not particularly like its main characters. All that Glitters is amazingly well paced. The author’s skill and natural writing flow make the story almost glide along. I found myself sailing through it and it never felt burdened or clumsy. The secondary characters, especially Uncle Calvin and Seth, are fantastic and written in such a way as to seem incr
Elsbeth
This was okay, I guess. Loved the writing. But I'm kinda allergic a bit to people who think they're a victim so much. Well yes, Liam made a big mistake 15 years ago by cheating. Therefore he ruined his relationship with his boyfriend Ben. He hurt himself too. Young and foolish is no excuse but these things happen..... You would think after 15 years you won't still have all that anger in you? But Ben embraced his hurtfulness. All that anger.....

description

In the end I even felt sorry for Liam. He tried so h
Teal
DNF @ 45%

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying this, because it has its good points. But I'm almost halfway through and I can't sense any chemistry between the MCs. A couple of the secondary characters are intensely annoying -- Ben has not one but TWO nosy, intrusive, interfering, "I know what's best for you" friends. On the other hand, Ben's eccentric Uncle Calvin is one of the most delightfully distinctive characters I've encountered in a long time. But I'm not invested in the roman
Leanne
Wonderful writing, well drawn secondary characters and a really finely drawn pair of main characters. I have always loved Kate Sherwood's writing and in this story she manages to balance angst and snarky humour so well. I was absolutely charmed and chortling, loving the push you pull you until it started to get just a little tired at around the 70% mark and then I wanted to just knock their two heads together and tell them to just get together already.

This book busted my reading slump, thanks M
Serena Yates
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, read-2018
Two men with unfulfilled dreams, neither one willing to admit that what they need is each other, and a second chance obscured by the fear of risking more heartbreak. These ingredients make for one of my favorite tropes, and Kate Sherwood manages to weave them into a very entertaining and emotional story I just could not put down. There is something to be said for the complexity of older characters and getting to know Liam and Ben as well as their hang-ups was an interesting journey. And I really ...more
CrabbyPatty
Liam is a successful architect in NYC, but finds himself driving the few hours back to his home town over and again, without contacting any of his friends or his first love Ben, and returning back to his empty apartment. Until the day he finally enters town and comes face to face with Ben, and finds himself with tears running down his face. Can Liam truly go home again, can Ben ever forgive Liam for cheating on him, can Liam rediscover his passion for work?

I love how Kate Sherwood develops this
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

Liam and Ben were best friends, as well as lovers, but after Liam is caught cheating, Ben kicks him to the curb, so Liam moves a couple of hours away from their small town of North Falls to New York City where he makes a life for himself as an up and coming Architect. Ben​, on the other hand, stays behind in North Falls and becomes a teacher.

After not getting a project at work he thought he deserved, Liam takes off to North Falls, usually​, when he does this he turns around at the wel
J1B
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't explicitly define it, but there's something off about this book. It could be that I just never really warmed up to Liam, a character who fifteen years after cheating multiple times on his boyfriend tried to explain his behavior with "gay men are less likely to be monogamous." I understand being defensive when put on the spot, but after fifteen(!) years of recollection, reminiscence, and "remorse", you'd think someone would have a more self-reflective attitude toward their infidelity. Aft ...more
Ivy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: hot-sexy, romance-mm, mm
3.5 STARS
Full review at :

description

Liam is a brilliant architect living in New York. On paper, he has everything, but deep down, Liam feels empty. Fifteen years ago, he made the worst mistake of his life, he lost the love of his life, his only true love, Ben, and now he realizes something is missing in his life…or someone!

Ben is a teacher in his hometown. Between his job, his best friend Seth, and his uncle Calvin, Ben has a quiet
Tizerkane 13
Jul 07, 2018 marked it as 00-mm-fail-dnf-nope-will-not-read
What’s with this author and her weird fascination with cheating!! It seems her books usually tend to lean in that direction!! Nope, never touching this author’s books!!!!
It’s simple - you cheat, the relationship is dead!!
An author romanticizes cheating, because come on that’s what she is doing here, the author is done for me!! Just no!! Other’s might enjoy this but I’m definitely out!!
Kath
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Lisa The Novel Approach
This second chance, slow burn romance rightfully deserves 5 big, fat stars! The writing was superb, the plot well thought out, and the characters interesting and distinguishable. The pace of the story was good and realistic, and the way the characters worked their way through past hurts was expertly handled. There were inner dialogues, and we followed quite a few thought processes in order for the MCs to work through their issues, figure out their lives—what was important and what they wanted ou ...more
Claire Potterton
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The first chapter of this book is frantic....this is not necessarily a bad thing, but I had to read it twice to make sure it had all gone in.
Liam and Ben...… I was still undecided at the end of the book as to whether or not I liked Liam, and both characters had me fluctuating between totally taken with them, and frustrated as all get out, all the way through. Both have their endearing qualities, and both, at times, were in serious need of a slapping!
Ben kept me guessing as to which way he was go
Jes Jester
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a well-written M/M-ROM novel about second chances and not really getting over your first love. While this story had a feel-good ending, it wasn't very realistic. We've all been there; the One That Got Away is someone you'll always wonder over, but how many times does the fantasy ever truly match up with the reality? Usually break-ups happen for a reason, but I suppose that's the beauty of a romance novel- reality can be suspended and the fantasy of HEA comes into play. I enjoyed this bo ...more
Melanie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words review

Rating: 5 stars ot of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-dXm

From that review, " All That Glitters by Kate Sherwood is one of those books that I just submersed myself in from the very beginning and happily stayed that way, never wanting to emerge from the story , town of North Falls and warm company of characters Kate Sherwood created.:

For all our reviews, check out http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...
Michele
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd Chance

Liam and Ben’s story feels somewhat familiar, but in a much different way. This was no easy, see each other again after 15 years and everything is magically fixed. No, this was a relationship that was hard won and a long time coming. It was a different spin and that’s what I like most about it. A few scenes made me tear up, but in the end, a really good story with a HEA.
Julie
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic. KS takes a very simple story - never getting over your first love - and elevates it to something very complex with lots of feels and depth. The MCs have lots of layers, but surprisingly
so do the side characters. I read this in one sitting; it captured my interest from page 1 and never let go. Really well done.
MariF
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a well-written story but I did not emotionally connect to either MC.
I was not put off by Liam's cheating at a young age, it's an unfortunate fact of real life, but I was not overly impressed with Ben's indecisiveness either.
Can't put my finger on why I did not enjoy it more than I did.

Christina's Bookshelf
This is an outstanding second chance romance with maybe a bit of a mid life crisis thrown into the mix and some great comic relief when the times get tough.

I consider this story to be a happily for now vs a happily ever after.....FYI.

You can see my full review here: Christinas-Bookshelf
09min
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I have enjoyed the book.

It is slow burn romance but the pace of the story is good.

Secong chance story, cheating in younger days...
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
2nd chance romances are my crack.

But this crack was laced to not make it as potent as I really wanted it to be.

Sigh.

I still enjoyed it tho.

Mare~Slitsread
Sylvia
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
2.75☆

This was a nice second chance at love
story.
Patricia
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just couldn't put it down even kg I had some work to do. Just loved this book.
Sherry
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ben's I'm furious with you! to I'm over you! did get exhausting and wearing....but I enjoyed the characters, esp Seth and Uncle Calvin.
Pianisuparse
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 'I enjoyed this and it's definitely worth a read' stars.
Parody
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the actual writing, but I just couldn't get past the history between these two guys.

• BFF
  • Set Ablaze
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
  • Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6)
  • Galaxies and Oceans
  • His Consort (House of Maedoc, #1)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • A Fool and His Manny (The Mannies, #4)
  • Foxes
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Rainbow Place (Rainbow Place, #1)
  • Murder on the Mountain
  • Beneath the Stain (Beneath the Stain, #1)
  • What Remains
  • To Touch You (Mates, #4)
  • Rend (Riven, #2)
  • Soft Place to Fall
  • Falling (Fall or Break, #1)