Start by marking “Loving a Warrior (Loving a Warrior #1)” as Want to Read:
Loving a Warrior (Loving a Warrior #1)

Loving a Warrior

(Loving a Warrior #1)

BUD/S: six months of the most intense training there is. It’s survival of the toughest, and Matt Knytych is determined to come out the other side a navy SEAL.

Distraction is life or death. And just the sight of former marine Shane Hovland is enough to shake Matt’s concentration.

Published November 26th 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Loving a Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving a Warrior

Start your review of Loving a Warrior (Loving a Warrior #1)
Wendy
4,5

All the books I've read by this author so far rocked my world, so of course I had to get my greedy little hands on this one as well ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=gimme gimme gif

I can happily say, that I was not disappointed... and that my world was rocked again !!

Matt and Shane meet inBUD/Straining. I am gonna be honest here, I had to look some of that shit up :P For instance... BUD/S stands for Basic Underwater Demolition/Seal.I didn't know this, and I also didn't know that it is a 6-month SEAL training course, which is held at the
Judith
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75

Whenever I see this Author has a new book out I simply cannot wait to read it.She could pretty much write a grocery list and I'd be all over it.

So....even though I'm not a massive fan of Military themes I was never not going to read it.

Matt and Shane meet at BUD/S training.It's intense,full commitment and concentration is required....the last thing either of them need is any sort of distraction....but that's what they get from the first moment they set eyes on each other.

I'm not going to go
Shin Mon Thway
This is a difficult book to review for me because I have so many conflicting emotions over this one. On one hand, I really liked it but on the other hand, there are some things that really made me feel annoyed. First of all, this is my first Melanie Hensen .. I know .. I know .. *heads hang in shame* where have I been hiding not to have already read “Point of Contact” (PS. I already own the book so I hope to read it soon ) Anyhow, the author definitely has a beautiful and powerful style of ...more
Martin
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-m-m
Melanie Hansen is definitely one of my favorite authors.

Her writing is beautifully heart-felt, even while she is dealing with badass military men who put their careers before any budding romance in their life. The attention to detail in these guys' characters is amazing and adds a touch of realism to them.

I love realism in a character, because I feel that realism in romance characters isn't always a given.

Concerning 'Loving a Warrior' there are two things that totally caught my attention while
Nazanin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2018, netgalley
3 Stars

The second half was better than the first! The first half was overshadowed by the SEAL stuff and that got me bored! I know it’s a slow burn story but still I needed to see more romance! But it was just get wet and sandy! I didn’t need that much wet and sandy but a bit more romance! Told in dual POV, 3rd person. overall, it was an okay read for me and hope you like it!

Thanks to Melanie Hansen, Netgalley and HARLEQUIN-Carina Press for the advanced digital copy in exchange an honest review.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This is a hard review for me to write because, well, I don't *want* to feel the way I do about Loving a Warrior.

I mean, I love Melanie Hansen, and Point of Contact will probably be my favorite book of 2018, but Loving a Warrior left me feeling... nothing.

I waited and waited for the whole story to get into it, and I even debated DNFing at 75%, but I pushed on in the hopes that I would like it more. I did, a little, but it just never gelled for me.

The overall impression that I got from the story
Diana
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc, m-m
Full review now posted 11/26/18

4 Hooyah!! Stars

Loving a Warrior is the first book in this series by Melanie Hansen. This is actually my first book by this author, but it certainly not be my last. I loved the slow burn, very low angst military story.

Shane and Matt literally run into each other the day before they start training at a chance to become a Navy SEAL. At first, it is awkward, but they soon develop a friendship of sorts, to push each other through training.

The author does include
Cadiva
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous military romance from Melanie Hansen, Loving A Warrior carries the same exacting attention to detail as her other works, and has a wonderful couple at the heart of the narrative.

I know other reviewers have mentioned the amount of background work which focuses on the training the SEALs go through in BUD/S but, for me anyway, it was a vitally important part of the story.

Without that deep-seated intensity and the high failure attrition rate, the impact of Matt and Shane falling for
Ele
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

Two things I need to say first. One, there are A LOT of military details about BUD/S training, life in a military base and even Hell's Week here. The reviews are right. The whole story unfolds during Matt and Shane's training to become SEALs, and it's a point of focus.

Second, in the end of this book Matt and Shane don't just stop being SEALs, meaning that they 're not free to just sail off into the sunset. BUT still, the ending is a very solid HFN, or even a tentative HEA for me. Matt
Fabi
I'm a fan of military themes. Throw in some super hot alpha SEALS and I dive in. (they're good at rescuing people right? ;-)

Matt & Shane give us a delicious slow burn romance during their BUD/S training.

Since I've (obviously) never been to BUD/S training, I can't tell you if what I just read is realistic or not. What I CAN tell you is that it felt completely realistic.

This is no "mushy little love story." These men are tough.
These men are strong.
These men are committed.
These men are
Ky
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

After reading Point of Contact by Melanie Hansen and being touched so much by it I couldn't really ignore her newest work which also takes place in the military world. The similarities bwtween the two books though end somewhere around here.

"Loving a Warrior" isn't as emotional or as hard to read. It didn't make me cry, and I'm thankful for that, but it captured my attention all the same. This time we get a friends to lovers theme in a setting where it's forbidden for them to make the
Christelle
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

Matt and Shane meet when starting BUD/s training to become navy Seals. Different backgrounds, different personalities, different ways to interact during this training, but both determined not to quit.

It started very well for me. A lot was said about the difficulties of the training, but I admire the mental strength required for such things, so it was all good for me. Add to that Melanie Hansen’s writing that works fine for me. I was hooked.

But then, when Shane had to temporarily stop
Sanaa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I'm shook. This was a really good read!

Also is there a second book with the same couple? The way it ended it felt like there is. Almost like a HFN.

An arc was provided in exchange for an honest review.
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.25 Stars***

Wow! I couldn't put this book down!

"Stay in your three-foot world. Control what you can control."

First off, let me say that this book is about equal parts romance and NavySEAL training. I know for some there may be too much of the training, but I was fascinated! Especially, since the training is such an integral part of Shane and Matt's life. Not only what they're going through now, but what their future holds.

I'm absolutely awestruck at what kind of training military
Laxmama
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS I did enjoy this book, the slow burn is one of my things- I want that connection with the M/C's. Matt & Shane's relationship felt honest and real with a getting to know you understanding, that part I did enjoy. As much as I enjoy a good Military story this one felt too technical for me, way too much terminology talk, too repetitive of the wet & sandy, grueling challenges. I would not have minded 2 times but it was almost the whole book and I found myself skimming. Additionally ...more
Jewel
3.5 Stars

There is just something about stories about SEALs being laid low by love that just checks all the right boxes with me. Big, though alpha males discovering that while sex is great, love is even better. Gimme a little angst and tension and I'm probably going to be a happy camper.

Matt Knytych has always wanted to be a SEAL. He's self assured, focused, and driven. He's got no time for distractions, no time for hookups, and certainly no time for love -- especially with a classmate. Though he
Zoe
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sexy, sweet, and evocative!

Loving a Warrior is a passionate, military romance that delves into the rigorous physical, emotional, and psychological demands involved in becoming a Navy Seal, and touches on the patience, understanding, support, and trust required to maintain a relationship under those conditions.

The writing is informative and authentic. The characters are rugged, single-minded, and encouraging. And the plot is a slow-burning tale full of explosive chemistry, undeniable attraction,
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Full disclosure, I read Point of Contact several months ago and loved it (5 stars) and was expecting a similar feeling story with Loving a Warrior. I did not get that and so this review will be hard.

Yes, I did absolutely enjoying reading about Shane and Matt, but for me, the intense feelings were missing. I don't know why but I wasn't emotionally invested in these two. Partly I think it could be because the story focuses 100% on
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Loads of anticipation and some hot romance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I grabbed this book because of two factors - one military men in their hotness and the MM factor tied with the storyline. I was in the mood for something different.

This is the first time I read this author and she did a great job with the story and the background. Two guys trying to get through Bud/s became very close friends, teammates, and struggled to become more than that.

These two ended up becoming very close friends that knew
Sheri
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: still-smiling
My pulse kicks up whenever I see Hansen has a new book coming out. I have an addiction to her angst-ridden stories. She always makes me hurt-so-good. Surprisingly, this time around the angst was quite subdued. I kept waiting for the blow to my solar plexus and had tissues at the ready…but I didn’t need them. And while this is definitely one of her lighter books and not what I was expecting, I still enjoyed it immensely.

Shane and Matt are polar opposites. But don’t you just love a good
Eugenia
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sexy SEALs!!!

This was one heck of a work-out!! BUDS/S. That’s what we got here: hot men working out like crazy... in the ocean...in the sand...in the cold... in bed.

Having read a lot of SEAL books, I’d never read one that went into so much detail about all that the recruits went through. It was almost too much detail, I thought, because the romance took a back seat.

Of course, that was a main complaint of big MCs: training came first. But the training just took sooooooo long to get to the good
haletostilinski
Wow! This. Was. So. Good!

But this, while angsty, wasn't as angsty as I was fearing, and I was like "OMG! This is isn't heart-wrenching like with Point of Contact or overly angsty with the relationship drama or anything like that!" But then at the end I saw that next year the next in this series, "Keeping a Warrior" would be coming out...

description

Oh no, if that is when the serious angst happens....*hides*

But anyway, this is the build up to their relationship. This is Matt and Shane literally running into
Jay
4 stars -- I had this book pegged to get a higher rating while I was reading it because, other than a few things that seemed to come out of nowhere, I was really loving the story and its build. But now that I've finished it, my only real complaint is that the ending didn't quite pack the emotional punch I wanted because the relationship arc's conclusion was rather easy. There was plenty of drama, almost all in their individual lives, but because most of these things were resolved simply by ...more
Monica Vidal
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG I STUPIDLY FORGOT TO REVIEW THIS! And it’s such a great book. It’s different from everything Melanie has written. I’m not gonna lie because I am an angst whore, I just love when my books make me cry on a corner and Mel always deliver but this time there’s no angst at all. It’s just action and sexy and two guys figuring their relationship out.

I got very impressed with all the training and just how fucking hard it is to become a SEAL. I mean, I had some idea, but the reality is a thousand
Chris
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-crime, lgbtq
Took me a bit to really get into this book.. started off slow, but once it evolved I found my groove. Very heavily military based with all that is involved. I was left wondering if these two actually came out in the end, but I was happy for an epilogue.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Shane came to BUD/S training ready to prove himself—again. Semper Fi is forever, but he needs a new start. Not
Annika
3,5 stars

I might be in minority here, because this book has got raving reviews left and right for months now. So going in, I had some pretty high hopes - and maybe that's on me - but when I realised that there wasn't much more happening in the book beyond what the blurb described I have to say I was disappointed.

BUD/S is not for the faint hearted but Matt Knytych and Shane Hovland are determined to make it through the toughest six months of their lives. Six months of training where only a few
Morgan  Skye
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First I need to warn you that this is a HFN and that this is a book one. I didn’t know that and had I known I’d have waited for the series – just because that’s how I am.

It doesn’t diminish how much I liked this but it does make me want to warn people.

Melanie Hansen’s stories are FULL of ANGST with a capital A – I knew that going in. However, this was less about the Angst and more about the slow burn and – really – the completely untenable situation.

I don’t know how these two are going to make
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lbr, mm, ebook

4.5 stars - Woohoo! This story was just what I needed. It’s the story of Matt Knytych, aka Alphabet Soup, aka Soup, and Shane Hovland, aka Hov, aka Clown, two guys just starting six months of intense BUDs training. Surviving BUDs and becoming SEALS has been their sole focus and something they’ve been working for for a very long time. So, to say that their immediate intense attraction comes at a bad time would be a gross understatement.

I absolutely loved these guys. They are snarky and fun,
Alisa
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

This author is one of my favorites in this genre and I was really excited to start reading this. I was completely wrapped up in this for the first half. It was really more about the SEAL training and their friendship than anything else but it was fascinating. Plus, I've been to Coronado many, many times and I love a book that's set somewhere I'm familiar with.....when the author gets it right, which Hansen did. (And, on a side note, if you ever get the chance to go to Coronado beach go.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)
  • Arctic Sun (Frozen Hearts, #1)
  • Better Not Pout
  • Rough Trade (Woodbury Boys #3)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Craft Brew (Trouble Brewing, #2)
  • Noble Hops (Trouble Brewing, #3)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Out in the Offense (Out in College, #3)
  • Lights and Sirens (Emergency Services #2)
  • A Deeper Blue (Rules of Possession, #2)
  • Fired Up (Fever Falls, #1)
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • Arctic Wild (Frozen Hearts #2)
  • The Story of Us
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
Melanie Hansen has spent time in Texas and Florida prisons…for work. She’s been in a room with a 17-year-old mass murderer who was also one of the most soft-spoken and polite teenagers she’s ever met. After a 13-year career as a court reporter, she can tell many stories both hilarious and heartbreaking.

She grew up with an Air Force dad, and ended up marrying a Navy man. After living and working

Loving a Warrior (2 books)
  • Keeping a Warrior (Loving a Warrior, #2)