Start by marking “The End of the Alphabet” as Want to Read:
The End of the Alphabet

The End of the Alphabet

Ambrose Zephyr is a contented man. He shares a book-laden Victorian house with his loving wife, Zipper. He owns two suits, one of which he was married in. He is a courageous eater, save brussels sprouts. His knowledge of wine is vague and best defined as Napa, good; Australian, better; French, better still. Kir royale is his drink of occasion. For an Englishman he makes a ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Doubleday Canada (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the Alphabet

Bonnie
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Winner 2008 Commonwealth Writer Prize for Best First Novel

I have read this book twice, each time in less than two hours; at 20K words this is probably more properly a novella, not a novel. But it’s a gem of a little book: C S Richardson’s tale is a tender and poignant portrayal of a couple very much in love, and how they differ in their reaction to inevitable loss.

At about age fifty, Ambrose Zephyr is informed quite matter-of-factly, that he has thirty days “give or take” to live. His doctor sp
notgettingenough
If you wish to fill a couple of hours of your life with a nicely written weepie, this is for you. Is it a novella? It is 140 small pages, large margins, double-spaced text. I've certainly read lots of 'short stories' this length.

It does consider a dilemma I've often wondered about. There are those quick deaths - one moment you are vacuuming or cooking dinner, next moment finito la musica. Death displaces life and you scarcely even have time to register it. There are the long ones, where you know
Elizabeth (Alaska)
At first I thought this was a "cute" book. Its prose is completely unpretentious as are the characters. The presentation is unusual. One very short chapter that is only a paragraph long. Another is one long run on sentence, which fits in context. The underlying story, however, is anything but "cute". A man and his wife must face his impending death. He decides to do it by seeing the world alphabetically. 26 letters, 30 days more or less.

Sometimes a book happens when it is most personally meaning
Frank
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Nadine Larter
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I must admit that I particularly love books like this one. It’s so lovingly odd – almost like the author was told about these things called books and he then decided he’d try writing one. Don’t take that statement as insulting though. The End of the Alphabet is kind of refreshingly without pretention or strict structure. It reads like someone sat down and wrote something. Just because. Which is often the best kind of writing.

Ambrose Zephyr has only thirty days to live, and he has decided to spen
Edwina Callan
Apr 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2014
I guess this book proves that no two people ever read the same book.
I started reading this back in Feb. but after 3 or 4 pages, I'd have to lay it aside or fall asleep. I finally forced myself to finish it today.
At 119 pages, this book shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to read, but it is so slow paced and boring and the characters are just so silly that I feel like it was a waste of paper to even print this rubbish.
Also, this is the first book I've ever read where the main character is
Amber
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
When Ambrose Zephyr finds out he only has one month to live from his doctor, he takes his wife Zipper to places he had wanted to see before he dies on a list from A through Z. Will his wife stand for it though? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good and sad read about living life to the fullest and cherishing it every day. Definitely check this book out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Elizabeth
This debut novel from a Canadian author had an interesting premise, a touching story, and fairly likable characters. There wasn't a whole lot that I didn't like about it, but I found the End of the Alphabet a bit difficult for me to love.

The writing style was mostly easy to read and straightforward, which was nice. I didn't particularly enjoy the lack of quotation marks for conversation, but that seems a bit trivial to complain about. It was a sad little story that had genuine emotion without fe
Jane
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
The End of the Alphabet is what I would call a huggable book.

Ambrose Zephyr is a fifty year old, happily married Londoner. But then he is diagnosed with an unidentified terminal illness and given only a month to live.

Ambrose that he must to seize the day. And so, accompanied by his wife Zappora Ashkenazi (also known as Zipper) he sets off on a journey round the world, visiting each city on his list in alphabetical order.

Each stop evokes different memories, different emotions for Ambrose and Zipp
Becca
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Alan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alan by: bonny; notgettingenough
Shelves: novels, read-in-2012
picked this up from the library today

wasn't keen. Thought about giving it two stars because it's far too whimsical for me. For example half way through the bloke - who's dying - can suddenly see across seas (eg Engalnd from France, even the USA from Cornwall) and into the past (when visiting the pyramids sees ancient egyptians at work on them). It's not believable but maybe it's not supposed to be. However that ruins the impact of his dying. Straight after I started reading Kyle Minor's book of
Diane S ☔
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Ambrose and Zipper, married had made the decision to never have children, their careers and their relationship would be enough. Now in their fifties, Ambrose has just received the diagnosis that in a month or less he will be dead. It is never exactly said what his symptoms were nor what he had, just the news that he would be dead. What he has is besides the point, what the book is about is how they both react to the news and what they do. How they re-evaluate where they have been while they try ...more
Shawn
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book is the definition of short and sweet. It can easily be devoured in one sitting; the writing is smart and effective, if not mind-blowing; the characters are endearing and flawed and interesting; and the story offers a portrait of a beautiful relationship, and a chance to ruminate on love and life and death. When I came across it at the bookstore, I had never heard of it or its author, but something told me I should pick it up because it would be my cup of tea. I'm so glad I listened ...more
Mieke Mcbride
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Glad Laura recommended this one! She encountered it as a "blind book date" with only the first line and no other details written on brown paper on the book. "This story is unlikely," is how the book begins-- but no, this is not a book about magical realism or the supernatural. I imagine a point of the book is to think through what is unlikely. Being told in your 50s you only have a month to live? Having the resources to plan a hasty trip to as many places as possible, working your way alphabetic ...more
Josiphine/Tessa
3.5

This was an enjoyable book, but not what I expected. It turns the adventure-under-a-time-limit trope on its head. I liked the characters, but I didn't fall in love with them. I enjoyed it but I probably wouldn't read it again.
Paul Degrande
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Klein fijn hebbedinkje om te koesteren!
Jodi Lofchy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Namista
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Short read. A little disjointed for me, but compelling nonetheless. Makes you hope.
Cathy Sites
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A clever tale with quirky lovable characters (reminiscent of A Man Called Ove) and a reminder that we cannot buy more time. Travel till the health or the wealth run out.
Brindi Michele
This had me in tears at the end. Loved it....the story, the characters, and the writing. Quirky but beautifully told. A quick, yet heartfelt read.
Marlene
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story. Simply told with elegance and grace. I cried for nearly an hour.
Cathy
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is little but carries a big punch. What a beautifully written story.
Raya
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Death? Yes, yes, death hovers near us all. And it is sad that it makes us sad. But I know a story.

Such is the life of Ambrose Zephyr. At 50 years of age, Ambrose is diagnosed with a fatal but unidentifiable illness -- an illness that, within 30 day's time, will leave him dead. Yes, the doctor offered, writes Richardson, unfair would be a very good word about now. Zephyr's soon and imminent death, however, makes up only one element to this story.

Meet Zappora Ashkenazi, more commonly known as Zipp
Adinda
Hoewel ik eigenlijk nooit onthoud waar het over gaat, heb ik toch een zwak voor dit fraaie kleine boekje. Na herlezen ben ik weer even op de hoogte: Ambrose Zephyr krijgt te horen dat hij nog maar een maand te leven heeft, waarop hij en zijn vrouw Zappora (Zipper) Ashkenazi een alfabetische wereldreis willen maken. Beide personages worden liefdevol neergezet in al hun eigenaardige details, maar dat maakt dat het boek ook erg verdrietig en eigenlijk vooral een requiem. Misschien blijf ik het daar ...more
Patricia
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that when someone asks if you've read it, you gasp with pleasure and say how much you loved it. It's short but packed with beautiful language and beautiful images.
Vasileios
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-spanish

Θυμάμαι είχα αγοράσει το βιβλίο The end of the alphabet σε ένα ισπανικό μπαζάρ βιβλίου πριν από μερικά χρόνια, με είχε κερδίσει το μικρό του μέγεθος αλλά και η πρωτότυπη πλοκή του. Ο συγγραφέας του βιβλίου, C.S. Richardson, χρησιμοποιεί σε αυτό το μικρό ανάγνωσμα με την πολύ ωραία του αισθητική που θυμίζει τα ημερολόγια της Moleskine, μια κλισέ κατάσταση κατά τα άλλα που προσπαθεί να διαφοροποιηθεί με έναν έξυπνο τρόπο.

ΕΝΑΣ ΜΗΝΑΣ ΔΙΟΡΙΑ ΖΩΗΣ

Ο συγγραφέας δί
Bev
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review from 2009:

I love this book. A quick read..but so much crammed into a small volume. I've read it and now, as with all the books I truly love, it's now my aim to own it.

Mission accomplished! I now own it in the hardback version pictured here.

Review from 9/10/13:

The End of the Alphabet by C. S. Richardson is a gorgeous gem of a book. I originally read this back in 2009 and am glad that the 2013 Bingo Reading Challenge gave me a reason to reread. It's a book that I find myself recommending ov
Crystal Allen
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it
dara
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book is a very short and easy read so I'm not inclined to complain. It follows a married couple in the time span after the husband is informed by his doctor that he may have as little as thirty days left to live. He and his wife struggle against time to visit all of the places on an A-Z list he has hastily compiled. With barely over a hundred pages, the book maintains a fairly fast pace and a concise style, which is littered with flashbacks explaining the significance of the chosen destinat ...more
Patty
I wish I could remember where I heard of this book. Something made me check this out of the library and I like to give credit where it is due. However, I can't seem to figure out where this suggestion came from.

This is a slight novel about death, travel, love, life - lots of big questions. I found myself slowing down as I read Ambrose Zephyr's story. It is very evident how the book will end, but I didn't really want to get there. I wanted more time with Ambrose and his wife, Zipper.

Richardson o
  • Summer of My Amazing Luck
  • Certainty
  • The Friends of Meager Fortune
  • The Letter Opener
CS Richardson’s first novel, The End of the Alphabet, was an international bestseller published in thirteen countries and ten languages. Winner of the Commonwealth Writers Prize for Best Book (Canada & the Caribbean), it was named on four Best of the Year lists and was adapted for radio drama by BBC Radio 4.

Richardson is also an accomplished and award-winning book designer. He lives and works
“A man can see a hundred women, lust for a thousand more, but it is one scent that will open his eyes and turn him to love.” 68 likes
“When his father asked why A wasn't apple or B wasn't bird or C wasn't cat, young Ambrose explained that things didn't always have to be the way you'd expect. Everybody does apples and birds and cats, he said, and it's boring to do what everybody else does.” 8 likes