Start by marking “Don't Call the Wolf” as Want to Read:
Don't Call the Wolf

Don't Call the Wolf

A forest, besieged. A queen, unyielding. Fans of Leigh Bardugo and Holly Black will devour this deliciously dark Eastern European–inspired YA fantasy debut.

When the Golden Dragon descended on the forest of Kamiena, a horde of monsters followed in its wake.

Ren, the forest’s young queen, is slowly losing her battle against them. Until she rescues Lukasz—the last survivor of
Expected publication: April 28th 2020 by HarperTeen

Start your review of Don't Call the Wolf
✨ A ✨
Oct 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Wolves. Dragons. Polish folk lore. And a pretty cover.
....This is how you get my attention.

ARC recieved from publishers via edelweiss in exchange for an honest review
Candace Robinson
Eh, so while I loved the cover for one this so much, I was a bit confused by this world! Lovely writing but just very confused.
♠ TABI ♠
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
"Don't call the wolf from the forest."

description

I should have listened to the title of this book because, yikes, I was stunningly disappointed with this. It tries so hard to be a Leigh Bardugo-type fantasy but it ISN'T because there really is no definite, interest-grabbing plot. It tries so hard to be super magical but ends up throwing too many creatures and myths at you without taking time to develop them into the world of this book . . . which even then the world isn't that greatly-written, either.
anna (readingpeaches)
May 31, 2018 marked it as unreleased
THIS BETTER BE GOOD OR MY POLISH ASS IS SUING

edit: the author is actually polish so this is giving me much more hope !
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Probably the one thing you should know is that Aleksandra Ross can WRITE. The prose in Don’t Call the Wolf is absolutely gorgeous, dark and lyrical without being purple, like (dare I say it) Leigh Bardugo herself. The writing is basically most of the reason this book gets 4 stars.

In giving this rating, I’m forgiving a range of plot holes and clichés, which will be detailed below. The best way to think of this book is as a fairytale –
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

Don't call the wolf tells us the story of Ren, a girl that is the Queen of the Forest and Lukasz, the last Wolf-Lord. In this world, Wolf-Lords are Dragon Slayers. Ren is a lynx shape-shifter and is trying to save her forest from the evil monsters plaguing it, especially the strzygi which are a sort of zombie creatures that are infesting the forest. Lucasz crosses paths with Ren in the forest and after that
Jackie
May 31, 2018 marked it as 2020-wtf
POLISH FOLKLORE!!!!! 2020 can‘t come fast enough
USOM
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

In Don't Call the Wolf, I really liked the world building. There's dragons, which are always an instant-win for me, but also other Eastern European folklore creatures such as rusalkas and Baba Yaga. Told in dual POV, Don't Call the Wolf examines loyalty and family. There are questions of our origin and those who have been led astray. Unfortunately, the romance felt too disjointed and I
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Aug 15, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Thank you HarperCollins and HarperTeen for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
Lexie
Jun 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
This is Polish folklore and my heritage is Polish so super interested! Hope it's good! The premise sounds intriguing.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Dragons, dragon-slayers and a half-human/half-monster queen? I'm in!
Emma
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019
I'm not quite sure what to make of Don't Call the Wolf. The story follows Ren, a girl who can turn into a lynx and is queen of the forest, and Lukasz, the last of a mythical line of warriors called Wolf-Lords. Both Ren and Lukasz want to rid the forest of the Golden Dragon, which has been causing destruction and bringing about the return of all sorts of terrible monsters. The book has a lot of fantasy elements but felt more like a zombie novel in terms of pacing and plot structures.

The
Miranda Reads
Dec 18, 2019 is currently reading it
description
That cover looks positively enchanting. Love it already.

With thanks to the author for a free copy in exchange for an honest review

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
When I read for fans of Leigh Bardugo in the synopsis, I became immediately intrigued. Six of Crows has got to be one of my all-time favourite series. A book that features dragonslayers just sounds epic, doesn’t it?!
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
3.5/5

Polish folklore-inspired fantasy. Intriguing world but writing has some clarity issues. Confusing at times but enjoyed the characters, even if I didn’t always understand their intersecting histories/agendas. Needed more dragons
Salma19 (High Lady of the Dawn Court)
It sounds so good! I hoped it would have been released a little bit earlier. It got some whimsical winter vibe :) and would match the weather so well!
Literary Belle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Polish high fantasy by a Polish author #ownvoices So excited!
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I skimmed through this entire book. The beginning was interesting with a different folklore than I had seen with the wolf lords and killing of dragons. Also the female MC was interesting and a shapeshifter. That said, the plot moved like molasses and progressed exactly as it seemed it would with no twists. Just not my kind of read but will likely appeal to those who enjoy retelling of fairytales.
Alice Reeds
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
As Polish person I'm honestly BEYOND excited for this book, and so curious. Can't wait to read it! :D
Holly Hughes
They have such a capacity to change...and I think that is their real magic. They hold such darkness, these humans, but they still choose the light.

My full review is available on my blog!

Honestly, it's taken a few days to write this review because I'm torn over how to feel after having finished Don't Call the Wolf. There were lots of things I loved. But there were also elements that left me... disappointed.

Undeniably,the book's largest strength is in Aleksandra Ross' writing. Her prose is
Ava
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars all the way around; DON'T CALL THE WOLF blew me away. I'm always on the hunt for Eastern European-inspired fantasies, and this scratched the itch I've had since Leigh Bardugo's SHADOW & BONE. The prose is descriptive without being flowery, invoking that perfect fire-in-the-woods, wicked-magic feel of Eastern European mythology. The worldbuilding is lush and descriptive, and while I would be curious to learn more about some of the less-mentioned places, I think leaving them slightly ...more
Sara
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
*I received an advanced reader copy of this book from Indigo Books & Music Inc. in exchange for an honest review*

Don't Call the Wolf is a story based on Polish folklore. It is filled with monsters, magic and mayhem.

Lukasz is the last of the Wolf Lords who came down from the mountains and made a living hunting monsters. He once had nine brothers, but they have all individually disappeared in attempts to slay the feared golden dragon.

Ren is queen of the forest, living in an abandoned castle
micolreads
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I struggled to finish this book. It started with a promising plot, promising characters, but all I got in the end was a bit of confusion about everything. I think the style of writing was trying to be way too pompous that made the read hard. I did not feel a connection with any character and it just made me grow annoyed over everyone.

I did not hate this book though; I just didn’t find the writing style and plot overall to give it more than 2.5 stars. The thing that actually saved this book from
Yara
Very cute read. It’s a little too juvenile (more like middle grade) but I loved it all the same. The characters are endearing, the setting is magical, the monsters are scary but manageable, and there are characters that turn out to be something you weren’t expecting. I loved the Polish references to clothes, foods, monsters names, etc. And it’s a stand-alone :) Overall I really liked this and recommend.
Zoe L.
Jan 05, 2020 added it
Full review on my blog: https://yaitslitblog.wordpress.com/20...

So, as soon as I started reading this book I knew it would be one of my favorites! It's a retelling of a polish fairy tale "The Glass Mountain." Which, I have never read but now need to familiarize myself with. So, there's a lot to love in this story: the fairy tale aspects, wolves, and dragons. I mean, it's like all of my favorite things wrapped up into one!
Moona  M
Jan 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
I received and ARC, decided to try it out. Really didn't like it.
Kelsey
Aug 19, 2019 marked it as arc-received
[Late March expiry]
Greyland Reviews
Aug 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
My little Polish* heart is so ready for this!
*(I'm only a quarter Polish, with many other parts of me being Irish, Scottish, German, Russian, and Crow).
Lauren
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - I love immersive fantasies! Thought it started a bit rough, I can’t pass up shapeshifters, Polish folklore, and hot wolf-lords. I loved all the action!
Kat
A very dynamic written book, but with a very confusing plot at times. Interesting characters, monster, and imagery just not for me.

• The Kingdom of Back
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
  • Thorn
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer, #1)
  • Red Hood
  • Winterwood
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
  • Accidental
  • The Song of the Wolf  (Psy-Changeling #14.2)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • Venturess (Mechanica, #2)
Fighting dragons, writing books.