Start by marking “Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones” as Want to Read:
Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  116,951 ratings  ·  9,800 reviews
The instant New York Times bestseller. Over 1 million copies sold!

Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results

No matter your goals, Atomic Habits offers a proven framework for improving--every day. James Clear, one of the world's leading experts on habit formation, reveals practical strategies that will teach you exactly how to form good habits, break bad ones, and master the tin
Published October 16th 2018 by Avery Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Habits, please sign up.
James Clear Great question! I'm a fan of Duhigg's book and I think he did a great job. I tried to build upon his framework (in addition to the work of many other …moreGreat question! I'm a fan of Duhigg's book and I think he did a great job. I tried to build upon his framework (in addition to the work of many other scientists and researchers) and develop a practical framework that anyone can apply.

Here's what a few readers have said about the differences...

"[Atomic Habits] seems a LOT more practical and focused on guiding people on how to actually make changes. Power of Habit is more journalistic, though it does have the appendix at the back that talks about how to implement habit changes."

Source (see comments): https://www.instagram.com/p/BokCUOGFLdJ/

"The most impactful book I've ever read about habits was The Power of Habit... and then Atomic Habits came along. James takes everything I loved about The Power of Habit and expands on it here. The book is chock full of real, practical, and actional advice anyone can take to add more good habits and tweak bad habits over the long term."

Source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...
(less)
James Clear Good question. I know it requires patience, but I tend to recommend focusing on one at a time.

Some habit experts will say you can work on 2-3 habits …more

Some habit experts will say you can work on 2-3 habits at once, but that only works if they are *really* small. For example, meditating for 60 seconds and doing 10 pushups after you wake up. Those are simple enough that you might be able to handle both each day. But I still tend to recommend focusing on one for a few months, mastering it and making it the new normal, and then advancing.

Another note that is related to this: habits often come in bundles. That is, when you want to change one behavior you may be forced to change related behaviors. So you may have to change a few habits at the same time.

For example, say you want to start the "habit" of cooking more meals at home and eating out less. To do this, you may have to change your grocery shopping habits, meal planning habits, dish cleaning habits, and others. This is another reason I recommend focusing on one change at a time: often, a single change has a lot more built into it than it appears at first glance.(less)

·  116,951 ratings  ·  9,800 reviews

Start your review of Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
Simon
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book does a great job of laying down the framework of how habits are formed, and shares insightful strategies for building good habits and breaking bad ones. Even though I was already familiar with research behind habit formation, reading through this book helped me approach habits I’m trying to adopt or break in my own life from different angles.

But the book suffers from the same problems that seem to plague all self-help books. In the chapter about tracking habits, the author shares an an
Annie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
Before starting this book, write down some good habits you want to build and some bad habits you want to break. This book is filled with practical steps and examples. Yes, there are plenty of habit-building books out there (just as there are plenty of diet books but yet there are still more new books published every year). Plenty of people are seeking the right book that resonates with them. The key points in this book are:
* Compound Effect - Very small changes over time will have a big impact.
Hampus Jakobsson
TLDR;
- "You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems."
- The best way of building a habit is making it part of your identity.
- Make it easy to start: Habits are the entry point - not the goal. "Read 30 books" ⇒ "Read before bed every night" ⇒ "Read one page". Reduce a habit into a 2-minute first step.
- Stick to the plan: "Professionals stick to the schedule, amateurs let life get in the way." Don't be a "fair weather runner" if you want to run a lot.
- Make it
Greg Swierad
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first great book about habits was the Power of Habit. That book was quite theoretical and difficult to apply. This book, Atomic Habits, has a completely different approach. James Clear focused on writing a book that goes deep into every single step of habit creation from a practical point of view. At the end of the day, who we are and what we will achieve depends so much on these small habits that we do every day. James Clear argues, that focusing only on improving those habits will lead to ...more
Mario the lone bookwolf
The nuclear option for pimping, rebranding, fine-tuning, and perfecting grey cells.
Atomic also in one regard: As long as it works, it´s perfect down to the smallest part, each atom. If it fails, it´s radioactive and self cannibalizing, -destructing- and demotivating.

To exaggerate, we can develop great working, social. and creative habits or destroy ourselves with neuroticism going haywire, find great ways to optimate oneself or madness, just read anecdotal filled pop psychology/science/philoso
Kaytlin
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway yesterday and immediately settled down to read it. I am always very skeptical of self help books because they often do no get to the root of issues. This one did. James Clear's main arguments are that habits are the compound interest of self improvement and that your identify emerges out of your habits. So, you must expereince a shift in identity for your habits to hold. This made a lot of sense to me, but I do think that Clear should have addresses d ...more
abigailscupoftea
My 2019 girl boss recommendation. 💕

“Habits do not restrict freedom. They create it. Building habits in the present allows you to do more of what you want in the future.”

This book has helped me build a more productive morning routine and I love it! ☀️ Being a morning person has always been a struggle for me, but this book gives you very clear and very easy steps to create the life you’ve always imagined.
When going through your daily habits, ask yourself, “Does this habit cast a vote for or again
Acordul Fin
“The more pride you have in a particular aspect of your identity, the more motivated you will be to maintain the habits associated with it. If you’re proud of how your hair looks, you’ll develop all sorts of habits to care for and maintain it. If you’re proud of the size of your biceps, you’ll make sure you never skip an upper-body workout. If you’re proud of the scarves you knit, you’ll be more likely to spend hours knitting each week. Once your pride gets involved, you’ll fight tooth a
David Laing
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an episode of the North Star Podcast with David Perrell, the software entrepreneur Daniel Gross said something that I thought was wise:

The definition of a habit, for me, is something that doesn’t require willpower. How can I build a large collection of habits that are healthy—that are correct—and save them to RAM in my head so that I don’t have to think about them? I would like to have that done by the end of my 20s. I’d like to be in a good place in terms of body composition, in terms of wha
Romanas
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a dual review of two books about habit. Habits are important things in one’s life and there are numerous books on the subject. The classic book, a must read, is The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. Another two popular books about habits are The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and Atomic Habits by James Clear, that came out very recently. Having read all three of them I combined my notes for the last two in this post. No matter what stage in life you are, it is al ...more
Brandice
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones is a practical framework for how to build and keep new habits. To create a good habit, author James Clear suggests:

- Make it Obvious
- Make it Attractive
- Make it Easy
- Make it Satisfying

While at first glance these may seem overly simplistic, Atomic Habits delves into each of these concepts and also describes how these same ideas can be inverted to break bad habits. The content is easily digestible.

Different parts are
Matias Andina
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book feels like reading a homework assignment. James Clear wanted to read a lot of books and make a summary of the concepts he would implement for self-improvement. He also made a point in improve himself in the most hacky way possible. Instead of keeping the summary as personal notes, he published it. The fact that the author boasts about being a writer only makes it worse. You can actually smell the cheap tools he uses to put words into text and build chapters out of thin air. I w ...more
Mehrsa
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically reinforcement for Duhigg's books on habits. There is some good advice--get rid of obstacles, use cues of things you like to do with things you need to do (i.e., everytime you check facebook, do pushups or whatever). It's good advice, but nothing new or unique.
Mark Kater
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is what I expected "The power of habit" to be. Where TPOH mostly is a collection of stories/anecdotes, Atomic Habits actually goes over practical ways of implementing your own system. It's great! Here's to stop reading and to start doing... :)
Les
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was enlightened by "Willpower" and got some great takeaways from "The Power of Habit", but this is next-level in terms of practical steps and also generating pivotal mental shifts both for the immediate and long terms. Important note: it gets better with each successive chapter - something critical to know since the opening is understandably crucial to the author, but not so much to many readers. Read it.
Britt / Basically Britt
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Randomly started listening to this one because I'm trying to get out of my reading slump and I reaaaally enjoyed it! Some tips were super helpful!
Bianca
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
It's complicated ... my relationship with self-help books that is. On one hand, I'm one of those people who always wants to learn and improve, while also getting in my own way due to character/personality flaws, which I'm well acquainted with, which is why, occasionally, I read yet another self-help book, hoping to get inspired or to learn something that will result in me taking action.

I heard about this book from different sources which propelled me to put it on hold.

My usual scepticism was p
Sanjay Gautam
I used to follow James email letters, so I knew already something about his philosophy. The first part of the book, where he talks about principles of habits ( in theory ), is the best, and I loved it. However, subsequent parts are about application of those principles, which are quite useful, but not mind blowing.

Overall not bad.
Amir Tesla
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: success
Well, there’s almost no single shred of original content here. It could be a fine book if it’s the first self-improvement book you have started to read.

The science is also flawed. He presents the following elements for habit:
1. Cue
2. Craving
3. Action
4. Reward
Not to mention that its a skewed copy of principles presented in Power of Habits (to authors credit, he mentions it), craving starts to appear strongly only when your brain has learned to associate the cue, action, reward which happens wit
Laura Noggle
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one much more than The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, as it's more to the point.

Some great takeaways and excellent reminders. Each chapter succinctly summarized at the end, very quotable. Highly recommend.

1-Sentence-Summary: Atomic Habits is the definitive guide to break bad behaviors and adopt good ones in four steps, showing you how small, incremental, everyday routines compound and add up to massive, positive change over time (via Four Minute Books'
Valeria Lipovetsky
I really enjoyed how easily digested this book was. We all have certain habits we want to learn or unlearn and we usually start strong but lack the motivation to stick to it. This book really expanded my mind about what it actually takes to make habits stick and how motivation has VERY little to do with it.
I added a few of key quotes from the book that touch on some of the steps: why the smallest habits matter, awareness, repetition over perfection, focus on environment, how to keep going when
Ali Spittel
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2020
I love how actionable the advice in this book is. There's no fluff -- just straight up information about habits. The psychological, scientific, and anecdotal evidence presented is great. I also love the chapter summaries -- great teaching tool! That being said, the constant plugging of his site and other products bothered me, this may have been more apparent in the audiobook though. All of the referenced links require you to sign up for his email list, which, as a content-creator I understand, b ...more
Stephen Lubin
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
8/10

Atomic Habits is a useful book. It’s a practical guide to identifying and changing your habits. It’s something you can actually put into practice in your life.
I think that all of the concepts in the book are good and useful to know but some of the action points I think are slightly oversimplified. If you take the action points in some chapters and modify them to your specific situation you can still apply most of them but you do have to do some critical thinking with the material.
I like th
Mariana  Vieira
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is THE book for habit building and tracking. James Clear provides clear insights on various aspects regarding habits and the four laws are simple and easy to remember. Definitely recommend!
Farah Shamma
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what I needed to read. A perfect book on establishing habits and teaching your goals one tiny change after another through a personalized system.
Naoise
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
James Clear has a big following because of his newsletter –which I am subscribed to–, and that can probably explain the many good reviews. But this document, which is already only a 45-page free-to-download "ebook", is too long and could be synthesized in a 3 page tryptic. Although the intention is good and the concept an important one, and the proposals described to get rid of bad habits and attain desired ones are with no doubt good ones, it's a full blown action of "copy-writing": self-help m ...more
Jay Pruitt
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I've read a number of books on how to form positive habits, including The Power of Habit by Duhigg, and in my opinion, Atomic Habits by Clear ranks as the best. It covers what could be considered as ideas of common sense, but presents these ideas in a well organized and logical way.

Basic concepts inc
Ona
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's rare that I buy and read self care books, but I'm happy I did it this time. Atomic Habits focus is on the small improvement. This is very well written, simple to follow and practical for developing many different habits. A brilliant book, with excellent case studies and grounding in the psychology of human behaviour.
Cindy Rollins
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Great book on habits especially as he comes at them from the power of micro-habits, something I have been a proponent of for a long time, especially for moms who don't ever get large chunks of time. Learning to value small moments to effect change is key for moms.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clear, practical guide to developing good habits. The information in this book is fairly solid and worth reading for most people. My only concern is whether the information is presented in a way that is effective: that is, after reading this book, what percentage of people will actually change their behavior? I suppose this is the ultimate question of all self-improvement books, but I found that this one in particular, while effective at organizing and presenting information, didn't do it in s ...more
SCPL Teens: Atomic Habits 1 2 Sep 20, 2020 12:13PM

• Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • Never Split the Difference
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Thinking, Fast and Slow
  • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Outliers: The Story of Success
James Clear is the author of "Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones"

He writes about habits, decision-making, and continuous improvement at jamesclear.com. His website receives millions of visitors each month and hundreds of thousands subscribe to his popular email newsletter.

His work has appeared in the New York Times, Entrepreneur, Time, and on CBS This Mornin

Articles featuring this book

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." -Jim Rohn Ah, January! The time of optimistic promises,...
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity.” 201 likes
“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.” 141 likes