Start by marking “Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones” as Want to Read:
Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  21,397 ratings  ·  2,222 reviews
The instant New York Times bestseller

Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results

No matter your goals, Atomic Habits offers a proven framework for improving--every day. James Clear, one of the world's leading experts on habit formation, reveals practical strategies that will teach you exactly how to form good habits, break bad ones, and master the tiny behaviors that lead to remark
Published October 16th 2018 by Avery Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Habits, please sign up.
James Clear Great question! I'm a fan of Duhigg's book and I think he did a great job. I tried to build upon his framework (in addition to the work of many other…moreGreat question! I'm a fan of Duhigg's book and I think he did a great job. I tried to build upon his framework (in addition to the work of many other scientists and researchers) and develop a practical framework that anyone can apply.

Here's what a few readers have said about the differences...

"[Atomic Habits] seems a LOT more practical and focused on guiding people on how to actually make changes. Power of Habit is more journalistic, though it does have the appendix at the back that talks about how to implement habit changes."

Source (see comments): https://www.instagram.com/p/BokCUOGFLdJ/

"The most impactful book I've ever read about habits was The Power of Habit... and then Atomic Habits came along. James takes everything I loved about The Power of Habit and expands on it here. The book is chock full of real, practical, and actional advice anyone can take to add more good habits and tweak bad habits over the long term."

Source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...
(less)
James Clear Good question. I know it requires patience, but I tend to recommend focusing on one at a time.

Some habit experts will say you can work on 2-3 habits…more

Some habit experts will say you can work on 2-3 habits at once, but that only works if they are *really* small. For example, meditating for 60 seconds and doing 10 pushups after you wake up. Those are simple enough that you might be able to handle both each day. But I still tend to recommend focusing on one for a few months, mastering it and making it the new normal, and then advancing.

Another note that is related to this: habits often come in bundles. That is, when you want to change one behavior you may be forced to change related behaviors. So you may have to change a few habits at the same time.

For example, say you want to start the "habit" of cooking more meals at home and eating out less. To do this, you may have to change your grocery shopping habits, meal planning habits, dish cleaning habits, and others. This is another reason I recommend focusing on one change at a time: often, a single change has a lot more built into it than it appears at first glance.(less)

·  21,397 ratings  ·  2,222 reviews

Simon
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book does a great job of laying down the framework of how habits are formed, and shares insightful strategies for building good habits and breaking bad ones. Even though I was already familiar with research behind habit formation, reading through this book helped me approach habits I’m trying to adopt or break in my own life from different angles.

But the book suffers from the same problems that seem to plague all self-help books. In the chapter about tracking habits, the author shares an an
Annie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
Before starting this book, write down some good habits you want to build and some bad habits you want to break. This book is filled with practical steps and examples. Yes, there are plenty of habit-building books out there (just as there are plenty of diet books but yet there's still more new books published every year). Plenty of people are seeking the right book that resonates with them. The key points in this book are:
* Compound Effect - Very small changes over time will have a big impact.
* H
Kaytlin
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway yesterday and immediately settled down to read it. I am always very skeptical of self help books because they often do no get to the root of issues. This one did. James Clear's main arguments are that habits are the compound interest of self improvement and that your identify emerges out of your habits. So, you must expereince a shift in identity for your habits to hold. This made a lot of sense to me, but I do think that Clear should have addresses d ...more
abigailscupoftea
My 2019 girl boss recommendation. 💕

“Habits do not restrict freedom. They create it. Building habits in the present allows you to do more of what you want in the future.”

This book has helped me build a more productive morning routine and I love it! ☀ Being a morning person has always been a struggle for me, but this book gives you very clear and very easy steps to create the life you’ve always imagined.
When going through your daily habits, ask yourself, “Does this habit cast a vote for or agains
Romanas Wolfsborg
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a dual review of two books about habit. Habits are important things in one’s life and there are numerous books on the subject. The classic book, a must read, is The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. Another two popular books about habits are The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and Atomic Habits by James Clear, that came out very recently. Having read all three of them I combined my notes for the last two in this post. No matter what stage in life you are, it is al ...more
Mark Kater
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is what I expected "The power of habit" to be. Where TPOH mostly is a collection of stories/anecdotes, Atomic Habits actually goes over practical ways of implementing your own system. It's great! Here's to stop reading and to start doing... :)
Mehrsa
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically reinforcement for Duhigg's books on habits. There is some good advice--get rid of obstacles, use cues of things you like to do with things you need to do (i.e., everytime you check facebook, do pushups or whatever). It's good advice, but nothing new or unique.
Hampus Jakobsson
TLDR;
- "You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems."
- The best way of building a habit is making it part of your identity.
- Make it easy to start: Habits are the entry point - not the goal. "Read 30 books" ⇒ "Read before bed every night" ⇒ "Read one page". Reduce a habit into a 2-minute first step.
- Stick to the plan: "Professionals stick to the schedule, amateurs let life get in the way." Don't be a "fair weather runner" if you want to run a lot.
- Make it
Laura Noggle
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one much more than The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, as it's more to the point.

Some great takeaways and excellent reminders. Each chapter succinctly summarized at the end, very quotable. Highly recommend.

1-Sentence-Summary: Atomic Habits is the definitive guide to break bad behaviors and adopt good ones in four steps, showing you how small, incremental, everyday routines compound and add up to massive, positive change over time (via Four Minute Books'
Stephen Lubin
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
8/10

Atomic Habits is a useful book. It’s a practical guide to identifying and changing your habits. It’s something you can actually put into practice in your life.
I think that all of the concepts in the book are good and useful to know but some of the action points I think are slightly oversimplified. If you take the action points in some chapters and modify them to your specific situation you can still apply most of them but you do have to do some critical thinking with the material.
I like th
Les
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was enlightened by "Willpower" and got some great takeaways from "The Power of Habit", but this is next-level in terms of practical steps and also generating pivotal mental shifts both for the immediate and long terms. Important note: it gets better with each successive chapter - something critical to know since the opening is understandably crucial to the author, but not so much to many readers. Read it.
David Laing
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an episode of the North Star Podcast with David Perrell, the software entrepreneur Daniel Gross said something that I thought was very wise:

The definition of a habit, for me, is something that doesn’t require willpower. How can I build a large collection of habits that are healthy—that are correct—and save them to RAM in my head so that I don’t have to think about them? I would like to have that done by the end of my 20s. I’d like to be in a good place in terms of body composition, in terms o
Acordul Fin
“The more pride you have in a particular aspect of your identity, the more motivated you will be to maintain the habits associated with it. If you’re proud of how your hair looks, you’ll develop all sorts of habits to care for and maintain it. If you’re proud of the size of your biceps, you’ll make sure you never skip an upper-body workout. If you’re proud of the scarves you knit, you’ll be more likely to spend hours knitting each week. Once your pride gets involved, you’ll fight tooth and nai
Katie (katieladyreads)
I would recommend this to fans of the Power of Habit, it was easy to read and quite interesting but nothing life changing.
Mariana  Vieira
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is THE book for habit building and tracking. James Clear provides clear insights on various aspects regarding habits and the four laws are simple and easy to remember. Definitely recommend!
Otis Chandler
Brian Johnson recommends
Matias Andina
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book feels like reading a homework assignment. James Clear wanted to read a lot of books and make a summary of the concepts he would implement for self-improvement. He also made a point in improve himself in the most hacky way possible. Instead of keeping the summary as personal notes, he published it. The fact that the author boasts about being a writer only makes it worse. You can actually smell the cheap tools he uses to put words into text and build chapters out of thin air. I w ...more
Scott Barngrover
A life changing book. I was lucky to get an advanced copy.
James gives great advice on how to build good habits and how to break bad ones. He gives very interesting real life examples and charts that explain his points in an entertaining way. Each chapter has a summary and there is an overall summary of the key principles (laws). I highly recommend this book.
Gabriele
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After watching an interview with James Clear, I had to read this book. In only 200 pages he explains everything you need to know in order to work on your habits. Plus, I also got the feeling that he is a nice and fun person in general.
Angie Dokos
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

This book is very helpful. Lots of great tips. I hope I can put them to good use. Seems simple enough.
Ahmad Abugosh
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of books on habits, but this is the best book on habits I've ever read! It breaks things down in a way that is based on research and actionable. A few things that stuck with me are:

1) Whenever you do a habit, you are casting a vote for the person you want to become
2) When you slip up, it's ok. You just have to make the next action you take, be one that is an action you want your ideal person to take
3) A 1% improvement a day, can lead to a 37x improvement at the end of the year! (
Mohammed  Bouarrata
Great book. Well researched, simple, straight forward (for the most part).
I would recommend this book to any who look at the title and think "I could use that" because it lives up to its title. If you struggle with building or breaking habits, this book will offer useful insight on how to do that, or at least help you understand why it is that way. In case you are already familiar with the research behind the study, you could still benefit from seeing how that study can be put into action.
I thin
Kika
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just gotten the time to write about this lovely lovely book. I’ll preface this by saying that I am a productivity junkie. Like a complete nerd. I have 2 habit tracking apps. 2 planners: one is a journal/to-do list planner and one is a ginormous calendar. I watch productivity videos 24/7 too, my favourite YouTubers include Thomas Frank, Matt D’Avella, Michelle B, Med School Insiders, Ali Abdaal etc. I watch Tedx videos like an addict.

Suffice to say, I’m obsessed with habit-formation and sel
Liza Fireman
I really liked this book. It is very practical and interesting. It did remind me a little bit of The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg. It included a lot less of the story telling, but included much of the advice of changing habits.
It also reminded me of The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor. A really great book, that mentions adding friction to make it harder to go
Bogi Takács
Not planning on reviewing this one in detail, but it was nice and clear and gave me things to think about. (I have done some academic research on how disabled people adapt their physical environment to their needs and it was interesting to read about similar for a mostly nondisabled audience - though I do note the author starts with the story of his coping with having had a disabling injury.)
________
Source of the book: Lawrence Public Library
Martin Georgiev
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book containing ideas that we are all aware of but need to hear and act upon. The author tells interesting and relevant stories while mixing in some research on the topic. There are occasional unusual tips and tricks for habit formation and continuity. The system is quite rigid and similar to the one found in "The Power of Habit". I was not particularly happy about the constant links to his website but that might have been due to the Audiobook version I was using. Strong recommendation for ...more
Willian Molinari
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
This is an amazing book! I've been reading about productivity and habits for a while now and I think this book does a great work of gathering everything together and presenting in a nice form.

I think I liked it even more because I already apply many of the tips written here and I can assure (at least to myself) that it actually works. I have to say that it was really great to hear a confirmation of what I've been doing for years. :)

If you read the Power of Habit, you will see some references in
Pam
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*
I found this book to be extremely helpful, even on the first day that I started reading it. I immediately changed the way I think about myself (organized and productive vs. unorganized and lazy) and created a plan to change my morning habits. It was much easier to do than I imagined. Mostly, I think it is because I wanted the change. I don't think there are any ideas in this book that I've never considered or didn't try BUT it was the presentation of ideas and the explanation of why we act t
Nancy
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
Well written book on how to change your habits.
Arslan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Book for forming new habits and cementing them . It's an interesting collection of helpful insights. Must Read
#debtfreecommunity: December: Atomic Habits 1 8 Apr 13, 2019 08:19AM

• Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • My Morning Routine: How Successful People Start Every Day Inspired
  • Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
  • Pebbles of Perception: How a Few Good Choices Make All The Difference
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal
  • You Are The One You've Been Waiting For: Bringing Courageous Love To Intimate Relationships
  • Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
  • Make your Idea Matter
  • Emotional Success: The Power of Gratitude, Compassion, and Pride
  • Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success
  • The Ghost of Eternal Polygamy: Haunting the Hearts and Heaven of Mormon Women and Men
  • Draw to Win: A Crash Course on How to Lead, Sell, and Innovate With Your Visual Mind
  • The Laws of Human Nature
James Clear is the author of "Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones"

He writes about habits, decision-making, and continuous improvement at jamesclear.com. His website receives millions of visitors each month and hundreds of thousands subscribe to his popular email newsletter.

His work has appeared in the New York Times, Entrepreneur, Time, and on CBS Thi
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity.” 36 likes
“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.” 31 likes