Start by marking “Our Frail Disordered Lives” as Want to Read:
Our Frail Disordered Lives

Our Frail Disordered Lives

Larry Kavanaugh is an ordinary kind of guy. He’s got a nagging wife and two kids, both annoyingly gifted. No matter what he does, there is no end to what his family needs. What’s a regular, everyday guy to do? Well, he cuts a few corners, obviously – one very big corner. He sells his soul to the Devil.
Maybe it’s not the actual Devil, but Larry is ready to make a deal with
Published May 16th 2018 by Lulu

To ask other readers questions about Our Frail Disordered Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Frail Disordered Lives

Start your review of Our Frail Disordered Lives
Bark
I requested this title from Netgalley thinking it was a horror novel because it was in the horror category. I must be more careful about hitting that request button without doing a little research first.

This book is a comedy about a demon gone rogue because his boss Satan is an unappreciative pain in the bum. Satan sends all of his bounty hunters out to drag the demon’s sorry butt back to Hell. But this is not a horror novel. At least not the first 25%. It is written in the sarcastic spirit of
Dianne
Everybody wants to be a star, including lower level demon, Roach, who goes rogue on a mission to prove to his boss, Satan that he has the chops to be one hell of a minion. In the process, just maybe he can garner a starring role in the next demonic production of Dante’s Inferno.

Larry Kavanaugh is a self-absorbed family man, controlling, insecure and pretty darn selfish, not to mention deceitful, so when he is offered what he considers the perfect life in exchange for his soul, how could he say
Shalini
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book started out with low level demon minion, Roach, wanting to prove his worth to his boss Satan. All for wanting to be the lead in the next demonic production of Dante's Inferno. Roach goes rogue, comes up to Earth in disguise, along with his best friend Scorch decides to go after Larry's soul, follows him around, creates trouble... And yes, he gets attacked too... BY CATS!! Tiny house cats!!

This was a different genre read for me, a literary humorous fiction by Mary M. Schmidt. The cover
Heena Rathore P.
Our Frail Disordered Livesby Mary M. Schmidt is a unique story about a guy who sells his soul to the devila demon in order to make his life better and what follows is a litany of situations one could do better to stay away from.

A very unique story with lots of dramaand twists and turns to keep the readers entertained throughout the book. Overall speaking, I liked the idea of the book, the main concept that is, but felt that it needed more polishing in terms of the execution of that concept. The
Skirmish
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all-in-your-head
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2019...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bits

Thank you to the author, Mary M. Schmidt, for sending a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is there such thing as 'hilarious horror??' Well, if not, there is now. This was SO not what I expected - it was quirky and dark, fun and disturbing and I loved it from start to finish!

I mean, what other story has the devil himself, a signing competition reality show, exorcisms, 2 super-intuitive cats, a possessed goody two-shoes church girl, a demon who is great with computers and another of the devils minions, crazy bitter cause he didn't get to be a star in Dante's Inferno??

The cast of
Mackenzie
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Our Frail Disordered Lives was a strange read, I liked it. If you are looking for a story that is humorous with a dash of horror read Our Frail Disordered Lives.

Roach is a demon working for the devil. He is an old lesser demon who has serious job satisfaction issues, like hating his boss. On top of that, Roach is salty he wasn't featured in Dante's Divine Comedy.

The story picks up as Roach is called into Satan's office to discuss a recent soul contract Roach has made. Roach thought his deal for
Seraphia
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Our Frail Disordered Lives is a horror comedy novel that has some interesting twists and a really screwy demon who is out to prove to the Devil that he's not just another low-level demon.
Larry Kavanaugh has the married life that he wanted, but he also has all the problems that he didn't want. You see, Larry is all about himself. He wants the world to pay attention to him, be focused on him, and he wants everything. He wants the riches without the work. Well, what he has is a wife who simply
Candace Barnard
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So let me start off by saying that I was a bit sceptical to read and review this book as it is not in my preferred genre, but I decided to give it a try. And I am so glad that I did! I really loved this book. The story is well written and has characters that you love and characters that you love to hate. Almost every chapter left me wanting more. It was a relatively short book which I appreciate, often books are long winded but Mary M. Schmidt got this one just right. Our frail disordered lives ...more
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Roach the demon is low on the totem pole in the business of souls. Unappreciated and ridiculed by the upper management, i.e. Satan, Roach decides to go rogue and disappear to the Upper World. There, in various human disguises, and with the help of an IT demon named Scorch, he continues to wreak havoc. He's determined to prove to Satan that he is an important asset and that he never should have been overlooked during the writing of The Divine Comedy.

"There were times, like right now, one had to
Kristy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Lulu Publishing for a free e-copy of Our Frail Disordered Lives in exchange for an honest review.**

Larry Kavanaugh decides one day to sell his soul to Satan. You see, Larry only thinks about himself. His wife, even his children, come second. Roach, the demon that orchestrated the deal with Larry, decides he's tired of Satan not realizing his full potential. Roach has been there from the beginning, yet Satan wouldn't even let him be included in Dante's Divine Comedy.
Lee
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! It was a very good story, with suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat action. When the book starts with a meeting of the devil and his minion, it caught my attention...I thought it was different. But when the story moves into the demon going rogue, and going out into the world to harass people and a certain family in particular, it gets really interesting. I couldn't put the book down. I think it was a pretty good representation of what can really happen. You don't want to fool with making ...more
Autumn
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I received this book to give an honest review.

So as much as I like reading books with demons and possession this one didn't really do it for me. There wasn't a lot of wow factors for me. Roach is a low leveled demon who to me didn't seem to be too much like a demon. I guess when I think demon I think causing havoc, death and full on possession. Roach finds the perfect host to wreak havoc and tilt his life upset down. It will be like he gets two fun things to play with for the price of one.

Valerie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was instantly intrigued by this story after reading the synopsis and I have to admit that the book definitely li ed up to the hype. I throughly enjoyed this book. Highly recommended read! The author did a wonderful job with character development and storyline. It was well written and the characters lived were well woven together to provide an action packed story. There was an added bo us to this story that I was not expecting and that is the humor. I was thinking this was going to be a super ...more
Aly
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was interesting and different. Meeting the Devil and crew is something I don't read about everyday. I enjoyed the characters and the story. I felt like I was on the edge of my seat for much of the book which is good for me. I loved it and Since Halloween is coming this book was just at the perfect time for me as well. I love thrillers, suspense and horror. I enjoyed the action and everything in between. *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this ...more
Tanya
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
His is just a normal man who a gifted wife and two kids. All he wants is a normal life and give them everything they want but there is no end to it all. So he makes a deal with a demon who is trying to prove something to satan. Things are about to get challenging for them both. Have they bitten off more than they can chew? See where it will take them

Purnima Kar
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very different kind of story than anything I have read before....At first I thought,the story would be a normal story of a dissatisfied family...but it unfolded itself in a very different way...I loved it...

Advicesbooks Reviews
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this novel really impressive and compelling.
That is a perfect horror story with a perfect horror background, namely the one of a man who, to achieve his dreams, sells his soul to the devil. All this, unfortunately, will have tragic consequences in our entire world.
Even though the plot is about demonic possession and exorcism, the bottom idea is as modern as the landscape and the characters. I never read a great horror story like this.
Every chapter is gripping and you would never stop
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Our frail disordered lives- strange title for a great book

Roach is a lesser demon. He was a soldier in the Angelic War and inevitably fell from Heaven. He is pissed. The pissed off attitude is due to a long term grudge against Lucifer, who under appreciates loyalty and is an utter bastard of a Boss. The grudge is centric mainly to when Satan blocked Roach’s access to be a primary character in Dantes Inferno.

Roach decides to depart and spend time with mankind for some rollicking good mayhem.
Sandra Lopez
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
“It’s never easy hearing that the boss wants to see you right away…especially if your boss is the devil himself.”

First of all, I must admit that the gigantic eye on the cover was a bit unsettling for me. I mean, I don’t even know what animal that was—a wolf or an owl or something? I didn’t even see any reference to it in the story. It was just a big, giant eye.

I liked how the story generated the setting of an uncouth office in Hell, working for the devil to contract willing and unsuspecting
 Elektra | My Trending Books
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I was approached by the author to do a review of this horror book. So I did go into thinking it was going to a tradition horror book. But soon I was proved to be wrong.

For starters, I would like to say that I did not get scared or spooked; maybe a good thing for some but I was looking for some spookiness. Saying that my tolerance on getting scared is big( sort of).

I loved the characters, all of them even if I wanted to go into the book and punch some of them. I know very dramatic, but you know
Julie
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Frail Disordered got my attention right from the start, As Roach his side kick Scorch both demons ..as it turns out Roach went rogue from hell and went up to earth to strike a deal with Larry who sold his sole to him earlier . Which turns out not to be a good ideal in the long run were Roach wants to take over Dorothy who is Larry girlfriend . Then there were Grace her two cats , and Larry wife and there kids .
With humor , and self worth when someone ask you for your sole and make a deal with
Amy Shannon
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing horror!

Schmidt writes a great intriguing story in Our Frail Disordered Lives. Don't judge a book by its cover, as I don't feel like the cover fit with the story. It does show some interesting technique with a cover, when you question what the story may be about. The story introduces the reader to the devil, and the demon wanting to prove his worth to the Devil. I found that this was not just frightful, but it also had a sense of humor, which lightened the story a bit. I enjoyed
Valerie
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great, easy, enjoyable read! The author gives us demons, possession, hell, childhood rivalries, murder, revenge with mention of Dante’s Inferno! And two cats, named Dante and Virgil! Who I thought were named after the characters in the video game Devil May Cry!! Oops! Grab this one, you won’t regret it!
Crystal
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and once I got into it, it was a quick read. As Roach the demon works on the people involved, you can see how easily things can be twisted.
LGandT
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure if the author intended this to be as humorous as I found it to be, I laughed out-loud a few times

See full review here
Off the Record
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Before we get into what I think about the book let’s get the bare essentials out of the way, the book is called Our Frail Disorder Lives, it was written by Mary M. Schmidt and was released, according to Amazon, was self published by the author through Lulu Publishing Services on the 16 May 2018. Speaking of Amazon, the book is available for purchase there, so head over if you want to grab a copy for yourself. Okay I’ve given some of the basic information, now before I head on to talk about my ...more
Carol
Feb 13, 2019
Richard Ray
Sep 30, 2019
Stephanie Bissland
Sep 14, 2018

• Stolen Justice (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #4)
  • The Last Dance
  • Silent Witness (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #2)
  • Beyond Beauport
  • The Offspring
  • Windows on a Lost World
  • Billy
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • Little Darlings
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • Hellrider
  • Juniper: The Happiest Fox: (Books about Animals, Fox Gifts, Animal Picture Books, Gift Ideas for Friends)
  • Comes the Winter (Sawtooth Range, #3)
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • AT Full Tilt (Redemption Thriller #24; Alex Troutt Thriller #12)
  • Lost Highways: Dark Fictions From the Road