Start by marking “The Joy of Work: 30 Ways to Fix Your Work Culture and Fall in Love With Your Job Again” as Want to Read:

‘Bruce Daisley is on a mission to change the world of work.The Times

For years we've been told that the secret of motivation at work was found by searching for the answer to the question 'why?' but what about if we could find satisfaction not in 'why?' but 'how?' This is a book that's intelligent but compellingly readable, funny but substantially evidenced. Bruce Daisley
Hardcover
Published January 17th 2019 by Random House Business

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Work

Start your review of The Joy of Work: 30 Ways to Fix Your Work Culture and Fall in Love With Your Job Again
Rob
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This should be your bible for work

If you've reached a point in your work life where you're stuck in a rut, or maybe you lead a team and need some ideas on motivating them, then this is the book for you.

In fact, even if you quite like your job but feel there's something else to make it better, read this book.

Packed with anecdotes, tips, genuine research and topped off with Bruce Daisley's cheerful, readable prose, The Joy Of Work is - as the title suggests - an utter joy.

If you read this and stil
Supinder
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: managers
A well-written book that examines most facets of work culture and opines on mechanisms that can be utilized in order to make the work experience more enjoyable and conducive to productivity. Daisley makes many valid points in a book that he has assembled, in the main, from long-form discussions on his podcast.

My notes and the salient points that resonated with me are:

The work builds on Cal Newport’s idea that deep work is the key to fulfilling work rather than the hapless repetition of mundane
Cristina Darabut
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been running away from corporate books for a couple of years. This year I received 2 recommendations which partly washed away my disappointment. If 9 lies is a great book, but difficult to put into practice the next day as it deals mostly with concepts, this one is packed with things you can change immediatly. One might argue some of the practices are common knowledge. But then why fail in following them? I would anytime relisten to this book on Audible.
Deepak Rana
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of common sense backed up with research. The epilogue made me quite sad :-(
Yuen Tan
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Books about workplace or management are usually not my leisure readings but once in awhile I make exceptions. This is a book I will recommend for all who works with teams and aspires to help make workplace a bit better for the team. Essentially the books is split into 3 sections, recharge (re-energies self at individual level), sync (build connection at team) and buzz (create work culture with psychological safety and positive affect).

I am sure a lot of us read these before in HBR and countless
Niall
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I came across Bruce Daisley on Emma Gannon's Ctrl Alt Delete podcast and was eager to hear more, so I purchased this as an Audiobook. This was a great decision, as Bruce read with both clarity and enthusiasm - I just wished I had a pen and made some notes. I would have liked a few tips on enjoying your job for freelancers and those who work remotely or from home, as this seems to be the future of work, but Bruce tended to focus more on office culture and the office environment, which was still f ...more
Dancall
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Work has become all-consuming for many of us. We get emails throughout the day and night, seven days a week (especially if you work for a global company), have too many meetings, and have too little time to be creative, let along productive. There are even people who boast about how many emails they write, how much time they spend in meetings, and even how little sleep they get.
This book aims to make work fun again, by both setting limits (a ‘Monk Morning’ where you are known to be out of contac
Rookie
A fun book with fun tips to think about.
Karina Jacobus
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Very basic and light.
It could have been reduced to a 10% of its length without losing much of it's insights.
If light is what you are looking for, and you haven't read anything on the topic yet, you might enjoy it.
I was a bit disappointed.
P
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
- Decent read that was engaging and had inspiring case studies
- How practical are the tips? Daisley does acknowledge some challenges in implementing these shifts but I still don't feel empowered
- A lot of it feels like it needs to be from the top down
- Modern workplaces are distracting for sure and it made me a bit more conscious about what I can do to have a more productive workflow (a reminder)
Chloe
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Synthia Salomon
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
“We need to develop a different work culture. One in which we have time and space in the mornings for working without distraction, for going on inspirational walks and having casual but productive conversations with coworkers. We need to put more emphasis on the social aspects of work by encouraging employees to take social breaks with their colleagues, where they feel free to open up and bond with one another. By working undistracted and being more social in the necessary breaks we take from wo ...more
John
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-read-list
TL;DR: Best read as a ‘top 10’ list, with minor sub-points; similar to Daisley’s previous work in ‘The New Work Manifesto’ (which should be a pre-cursor read to this; in fact should be included in the appendix of the book, for easy reference, as it underpins all of the points). Read if you’re stuck in a work rut, and only read the relevant point to you.

An interesting take on a modular book; practical tips and ideas on how to restore your personal joy in work. There is an assumption that you are
Wulan Suci Maria
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
The author has managed to sum up very well for how to tips to solve relevant shared issue accross corporate people. But i think, ‘fall in love with work again’ has very wide definition, and it should hav been defined first in the beginning of the book. When I found myself finally need more (or less happier) about my work, I analyzed my issue and decided to change the company to gain more exposure and experience, yet I still feel something is missing eventhough I am in new environemt and I myself ...more
Savannah Joiner
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK WAS ABOUT WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT TO DO WHILE DOING YOUR WORK.HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR WORKING SKILLS. THEY ALSO TAUGHT ME STEPS TO TAKE TO MAKE MY WORKING SKILLS MORE CREATIVE AND MORE HAPPIER. THE BIG TAKEAWAY OR LESSON LEARNED IS DONT PILE EVERYTHING ON YOUR SHOULDERS TAKE BABY STEPS. ALSO MAKE YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS YOUR WORK GOOD. MEANING DONT GO INTO YOUR WORK SAYING ITS GOING TO BE BORING MAKE IT AS FUN AS POSSIBLE. I COULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. THE REASON WHY I ...more
Jamie Bowen
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bruce Daisley who has worked for some of the world’s biggest tech companies, Google, Twitter etc, provides his tips, based on actual research and experience, on how to create a job, a workplace that you feel happy in. Whilst I wouldn’t say there was fundamentally anything revolutionary contained within the book, the way it has been written almost gives you a manual of what you can do to make work more interesting and enjoyable. There are 3 main sections to the book, Recharge, Sync and Buzz, and ...more
Leonie Nicks
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As expected, a loosely scientific summary of what helps to enjoy work. Quite interesting that there was a reasonable amount of scepticism/negativity towards remote working, which is obviously quite curious to read now. It would be interesting to read a version that was less individual-oriented and more about the organisation as a whole. It would also be interesting to see how this relates to the current period, which has demonstrated that the experience of remote working / outcomes are are not f ...more
Fahim Sachedina
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it
For those in modern/startup work cultures, I didn't find a lot of new ideas in the book, but that might be because I've been lucky so far in my work life.

Saying all that, my rating is contextualized based on my own personal experiences, but a lot of the ideas are the building blocks to a great work culture.

Some of the ideas which stood out included:

1. Monk mode mornings
2. No-headphone blocks
3. Fika/encouraging social integration
4. Finish work early (if outcomes/targets have been achieved)

I wo
Pritesh Pawar
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This are few takeaways
1] the first part of the day is in-depth time working in something that matters without meetings, calls, texts, email, no constant connectivity and the second part of the day is for other things.
2] Work without distractions. Put on your earphones if required
9] Get a Good nigh
David Cushman
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Joy To Read

Bruce brings together many strands of workplace philosophy and research in productivity to give you the tools to build a culture that works for people and for business.
He does this in an open and persuasive conversational style you will want to share.
This book will change how you think about what efficiency really is and how effectiveness should be fun.
You will be itching to put it into practice from chapter one.
Leigh-Ann
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I didn't feel like I got a lot out of this read. I think perhaps as I'm not the target audience. It seems this book would benefit a boss or manager far more than someone like me who does not manage or instruct others in their role. The book seemed to mostly give advice to those in managerial positions on how to structure their teams most effectively. I wish the book had done more to help me, as an employee, find new ways to fall in love with work. ...more
Paul Brown
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book - a real treasure trove of ideas to try!

I spend more time at work than probably any other thing I do and this great book has inspired me to take a good look at how I make it better; idea after idea that might just change my meh into #LoveWhereYouWork :) Must read...
Michael
This book was funny and light in style; I think a busy manager will find it compelling and easy to read after a long day at work. The chapters are short and punchy, allowing the reader to pick it up and put it down in short sittings - again useful when you are knackered after a long day. The suggestions are less cringe-worthy than many other management books I have read and I will definately try out many of these practical suggestions.
Lovey
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I ordered this book because I felt like I was stuck on a treadmill at work. It is geared more to corporate climates and I am in academia. Still came away with some good ideas and have made some changes for the better!
Chelsea Slater
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! Really good insights around people and work culture. As a business owner driven by values I can definitely embed some of the learnings, after all what’s the point in starting a business if you and your team aren’t happy doing it!
Felipe CZ
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Techniques for making work more fun and productive, developing a better culture. If you work without distraction, take inspirational walks and have casual (and productive) conversations and social breaks with peers, you can enjoy work more, create bonds and have better and more productive ideas.
Briana Kelly
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Likes: Realistic actions which you can take to enjoy your own job more. Varied examples throughout.
Dislikes: Nothing ground breaking from other corporate books but condenses ideas very well.
Recommend For: New leaders of teams, anyone not enjoying their job.
lucretia
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The importance of joy in work

Useful information that can be presented within teams and management to bring back joy to the work environment. Wanted some inspiration to enhance team dynamics, found several useful thoughts/ideas that I can put into practice
Anthony Feerick
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not my usual go to sort of book but picked up some good tips on working from home, even that isn't the direct focus. The title sounds like would be as fun as watching paint dry but the case studies kept my interest & got some good smart working pointers. ...more
Nikhita
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really nice book which gives tips on how to keep yourself motivated and productive at work. Grab it to get inspired!

• The Creativity Code: How AI Is Learning to Write, Paint and Think
  • Elevate: An Essential Guide to Life
  • A Beginner's Guide to the End: Practical Advice for Living Life and Facing Death
  • Neurofitness: The Real Science of Peak Performance from a College Dropout Turned Brain Surgeon
  • Sizing People Up: A Veteran FBI Agent's User Manual for Behavior Prediction
  • Bezonomics: How Amazon Is Changing Our Lives and What the World's Best Companies Are Learning from It
  • The Breakfast Club for 40-Somethings: A Novel Approach to Unlearning Money and Reinventing Your Life
  • American Carnage: On the Front Lines of the Republican Civil War and the Rise of President Trump
  • The Call of the Wild and Free: Reclaiming Wonder in Your Child's Education
  • A History of Nigeria
  • Rebel Ideas: The Power of Diverse Thinking
  • The Fine Art of Small Talk: How to Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills and Leave a Positive Impression!
  • The Happy Mind: A Simple Guide to Living a Happier Life Starting Today
  • The Future of Capitalism: Facing the New Anxieties
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...
“Their whole organisation adapts to this idea that the first part of the day is depth time.” 0 likes